NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11207 Posts

Valve has posted their Year In Review for 2020 and as expected thanks to the lockdown the amount of people playing video games drastically went up. In 2020 there was over 120 million monthly active users which is more than the amount of PS4s shipped worldwide. For an idea of how big the growth is, back in 2019 Steam had 95 million monthly active users so that means Steam gain 25 million more monthly active users in 2020. I wonder if Steam will still have these numbers once the pandemic is finally over.

As many of you already know, this past year had more than its share of challenges, with everyone's lives upended by the global pandemic. While Steam was already seeing significant growth in 2020 before COVID-19 lockdowns, video game playtime surged when people started staying home, dramatically increasing the number of customers buying and playing games, and hopefully bringing some joy to counter-balance some of the craziness that was 2020. This has led to new highs for monthly active users (120.4 million), daily active users (62.6 million), peak concurrent users (24.8 million), first-time purchasers (2.6 million per month), hours of playtime (31.3 billion hours), and the number of games purchased (21.4% increase over 2019).

SteamVR

VR Gaming on PCs has continued to show growth in 2020 with game sales up 32% year-over-year. That's not even counting the launch of Half-Life: Alyx, which added an additional 39% on top of that. Demand for PC VR is strong and growing as more than 1.7 million users on Steam experienced VR games for the first time in 2020. Concurrently, Valve Index hardware demand was consistently high with inventory catching up toward the end of 2020. VR users have enjoyed over 104 million PC VR sessions last year, with each session averaging about 32 minutes, culminating in a 30% increase in total playtime.

To support all these users, SteamVR has been continually upgraded throughout the year with dozens of point releases. The most notable updates featured an all new Dashboard and expanded support for OpenXR, which makes it easier for developers to have their games work on all supported headsets by writing to just one API.

Controllers on Steam

More and more people are choosing to play their Steam games with a controller. To date, there have been 46.6 million users who have used a controller–as a comparison, at the end of 2019 there were 31.8 million users. Last year, there were 1.68 billion game sessions where a controller was used, a 66.6% increase from the 1.01 billion sessions in 2019. And of these sessions in 2020, 452 million were in games that integrated with Steam Input, up from the 232 million the previous year. If you leverage Steam Input for your games, you'll get support for hundreds of devices out of the box. And we'll do the work for you when new controllers come out, like when we added support for PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers.

And Valves plans for 2021

While many of the projects we planned to ship in 2020 did, in fact, ship, dealing with an ongoing pandemic shifted some of our priorities throughout the year. This inevitably meant that some of the planned projects had to take a backseat to managing the increased traffic and demand from the additional millions of users on Steam. However, we still think it's useful for us to talk publicly about some of the projects we want to push forward in 2021.

• Steam China - Together with our partner Perfect World, the team has been hard at work, and we're really close to launching this program to bring Steam onshore into China in early 2021.
  • User Experience Improvements - We're looking at filing down the rough edges that most
    users encounter when interacting with Steam–basically, we want to make it as easy as possible to buy, install, and play games.
  • Steam Login - We still plan on refreshing the Steam Mobile app and making it easier for users to login and keep their accounts secure.
  • The Steam Points program - We're brainstorming more ways to reward users, including folks who aren't especially interested in Steam Community features.
  • Linux - We're continuing to invest in technology that improves game compatibility and performance through Steam Play. We're also putting together new ways for prospective users to get into Linux gaming and experience these improvements.
  • Steam Labs - Along with iterating on existing experiments, such as 010 - Browse and 012 - Exploring Sales, we're exploring new ways for players to browse the catalog in the coming year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57988 Posts

Pandemic lining the big guy's pockets.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2749 Posts

But console fanboys are telling me that PC gaming is dying for over 10 years now. Does that mean they're lying?

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8856 Posts

didn't lems and cows and even sheeps say PC gaming was dying and it was old hat? What the hell happened to that logic 50% more played than last year alone.

Do your own math work your own statistics conosles guys let us know how that works out for you. Its not dying you are dying consoles.

PC is growing year after year. COnsoles they really haven't been as big since the ps2 if you think about it.

Big hitting games like cyberpunk sold best on PC by like 70% you guys are trash catchup or get left at the train tracks and get run over by steam.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49261 Posts

PC GAMING IS DYING!

VR IS NICHE AND TOO EXPENSIVE!

Hmmmm what else am I missing from the "nonsense haters want to be right about but are proven wrong every waking minute of their lives about"?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 44204 Posts

Valves altruistic, inclusive approach to Alyx and VR in general is something worthy of praise.

Comparatively, Oculus has already dropped Rift S, segmenting new software within it's own echo system and the other, obvious, cuntish nature of Facebook.

Playstation VR ain't much better either.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5848 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

PC GAMING IS DYING!

Hmmmm what else am I missing from the "nonsense haters want to be right about but are proven wrong every waking minute of their lives about"?

Well it is too expensive and it is niche.

But I do hope that a really great VR headset comes along and there are more games that aren't novelty. For me, the field of view still sucks, resolution still not great, and the games are more of a novelty.

I love the concept of VR, so here's to hoping this will give incentive to the designers to create a great headset.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 44204 Posts

@sonic_spark said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

PC GAMING IS DYING!

It's about the price of a mid-range graphics card now.

With the introduction of stuff like the G2, it's possible to get the higher end stuff at a far more affordable price than the Index.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1386 Posts

Lol cdpr is like the only well known triple aaa pc company left. And if playstation didn't take it off the store I doubt pc sells would have still been larger. Aaa pc gaming is what was dying and cross play is the only thing that saved it. Yall need us lol

A phone or a 150 dollar desktop can make decent use of steam , so how any reasonable herm could see this a bragging material is beyond me.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2749 Posts

@Livecommander: all these flavors and you chose to be salty

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2894 Posts

I like Steam for a number of reasons, and I think a big reason why you see the rise in users coincide with the rise in controller use is because Steam is where a lot of former console players go when they decide to upgrade. Steam has a community, friends list, achievements, etc that is very console-like. In fact it was this, and their support of controllers that made my transition to PC from Xbox (360 at the time) so much easier. As such, I hated using a keyboard, and used a controller exclusively for quite a few years after that. Steam also makes it easier to come from console because whether it's Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo, your controllers work while most PC games outside of Steam will demand an Xbox controller.

These are all great features that other PC marketplaces, like Windows, Epic, Origin, Ubisoft's, Battle.net, etc all lack.

But, I've since transitioned away from controller on PC, but still hate the keyboard, which is a shit interface for gaming. That is why now I use a mouse in my right hand and a PS3 Move Navigation controller in the left which gives me a thumbstick, d-pad, a a bumper, a trigger, and a couple face buttons, giving me the comfort and analog movement with a controller, but the aim of a mouse. Steams controller configurations are pretty integral in making it work.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 1966 Posts

So much for PC gaming is dead lol

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 21437 Posts

Yeah its because of covid that all forms of gaming is up, shit even board game sales were up like 500% last year, herms celebrating nothing as usual.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ProtossRushX

@i_p_daily said:

Yeah its because of covid that all forms of gaming is up, shit even board game sales were up like 500% last year, herms celebrating nothing as usual.

Xbox is not up they haven't even come close to outselling the 360 from last gen

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 I_P_Daily

@ProtossRushX said:
@i_p_daily said:

Why would i want to converse with someone who thinks the 360 was last gen. I don't want to talk to fakeboys such as yourself, you can't even prove you gamed on Xbox by providing your gamertag, a gamertag i might add you're never going to use again, but you can't name it because you don't have one lol.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5155 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@i_p_daily said:

DAYUM...that was below the belt and coming from Protoss is even more LOL worthy.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 15232 Posts

Glad to see they are still pushing forward on support for Linux. I play Steam games on Linux when there isn't a huge performance hit compared to Windows just to support their support of the platform.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eoten

I am definitely in favor of better Linux support. Their work with DXVK and Proton has pretty much landed the entire Windows library on Linux with only a very small performance hit. I had a hard time finding games that didn't work on Linux.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ProtossRushX

@i_p_daily said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@i_p_daily said:

Why would i want to converse with someone who thinks the 360 was last gen. I don't want to talk to fakeboys such as yourself, you can't even prove you gamed on Xbox by providing your gamertag, a gamertag i might add you're never going to use again, but you can't name it because you don't have one lol.

You were the one who said everyone is up 500%.

Xbox 360 Sold 80 Million units

XB1 Sold maybe what 40 Million? Thats down 200% from last gen.

X-Series X sold less than the XB1 launch in japan which sold worse than the 360 launch and so X-Series X is lowest selling xbox in history in Japan think about that for a second your doing worse than ever before in one of the biggest gaming countries in the entire world.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10822 Posts

Wonder how many games steam will dump once they launch in China to appease Pooh Bear.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 14751 Posts

@Livecommander said:

Lol cdpr is like the only well known triple aaa pc company left.

If they left PC, how is Cyberpunk still on PC and best on PC? Blizzard? Dice left PC? Epic? Creative Assembly? Square? How did most AAA developers leave PC when PC gets the most AAA titles now?

@Livecommander said:

And if playstation didn't take it off the store I doubt pc sells would have still been larger.

PC has substantially more gaming software and gaming hardware revenue than Playstation annually for the last several years.

@Livecommander said:

A phone or a 150 dollar desktop can make decent use of steam , so how any reasonable herm could see this a bragging material is beyond me.

Much of PSN is still PS3 and PS4. Not PS5.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Livecommander

@zaryia: thats 3 systems that psn is available. All same brand.

There are probably 100s of different brands and devices that frequently utilize steam.

I said cdpr is the only one left. There the only ones with pc centric fans when it comes to triple aaa. Epic and all those companies you mentioned put consoles 1st. And they don't have massive pc centric fans that anticipate their games more than other aaas

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4208 Posts

PC gaming is the best.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zaryia

@Livecommander said:

I said cdpr is the only one left. There the only ones with pc centric fans when it comes to triple aaa. Epic and all those companies you mentioned put consoles 1st. And they don't have massive pc centric fans that anticipate their games more than other aaas

Not sure what you're going on about. PC has the most AAA developers making games for them. How are these companies putting console first when almost 99% of these games are substantially better experienced on PC.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NoodleFighter
@Livecommander said:

There are probably 100s of different brands and devices that frequently utilize steam.

Going off the Steam survey only about 8.9% of users are on a playing with integrated graphics cards. The overwhelming majority use dedicated GPUs. There are more GTX 1060 users alone than all integrated GPU users combined.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eoten

@NoodleFighter said:
@Livecommander said:

Going off the Steam survey only about 8.9% of users are on a playing with integrated graphics cards. The overwhelming majority use dedicated GPUs. There are more GTX 1060 users alone than all integrated GPU users combined.

Yeah, that's why I think the 3060 at $329 is going to sell big.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 7044 Posts

With 60 million being farming bots, cheat accounts, and hackers/hacked accounts... lol. Joking aside though, that's actually only 59 million of them.

Impressive numbers either way though.

The controller part is cool... if everyone would just use a controller I'd have no reason not to just get a nice gaming PC... hell, that's probably why I'm looking into one just to hook up to my tv. I just wish some of the dash and accessibility options were easier to access.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xantufrog  Moderator

@Livecommander: the fact that you think CDPR is the only PC-centric AAA proves you know nothing about PC.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45532 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Glad to see they are still pushing forward on support for Linux. I play Steam games on Linux when there isn't a huge performance hit compared to Windows just to support their support of the platform.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NoodleFighter

@eoten: That's if there are any available for purchase. Availability and combating bots is our first priority. It's been a couple of months since the RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 launched and they still don't show up on the Steam Hardware survey which leads me to believe only a very tiny amount of gamers actually got their hands on them.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xantufrog  Moderator

@davillain-: what can I say, I'm a hipster :-P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58510 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@i_p_daily said:

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain-  Moderator

@xantufrog: All good my froggy friend😊 The thought of seeing someone using Linux just triggers me inside lol.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NoodleFighter

@xantufrog: I wonder if the Steam Machines would have been a lot more successful if SteamOS had Proton with it.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6862 Posts

@sonic_spark said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

PC GAMING IS DYING!

But I do hope that a really great VR headset comes along and there are more games that aren't novelty. For me, the field of view still sucks, resolution still not great, and the games are more of a novelty.

I love the concept of VR, so here's to hoping this will give incentive to the designers to create a great headset.

I think VR will be more mainstream once the tech catches up for wireless headsets. (that aren't tied to a FB account) Where you don't need a high end PC and you have a 4k display at least with no screen door effect you also have haptic gloves with a smaller more comfortable headset then we have today. Maybe in 5 years or a little more we will have that is my guess.

Crimson_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Crimson_V
Member since 2014 • 149 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Wow that's really amazing, i wish i had as much passion and patience as you, i'm also hoping that their linux support continues to get better.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@crimson_v: to be fair it's not nearly the pain it used to be. Now with Proton you just boot up steam on Linux and your full library is there - if the game runs acceptably and stable I'll roll with it. On the other hand, if it's glitchy or can't run at a stable target framerate (but can on Windows) then I'll pass. I am perfectly happy gaming on Windows, just trying to give my support to the effort when it isn't painful to do so :-p

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Eoten

@crimson_v said:
@xantufrog said:

Wow that's really amazing, i wish i had as much passion and patience as you, i'm also hoping that their linux support continues to get better.

If more people use it, they'll see a need to devote more resources to improving it. So, if we want to see bigger improvements in Linux support such as more titles, both indie and AAA, with native Linux support, then we need to use it more.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 I_P_Daily

@ProtossRushX: @pc_rocks:

**** you 2 are as dumb as each other.

For you protoss, since you can't comprehend what you read (a common trend among cows)

I said all gaming is up even BOARD GAME sales were up like 500%

What a muppet 🤣🤣🤣

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 418 Posts

@i_p_daily: The truth is that both PC and console gaming are very popular and loved.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5155 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@ProtossRushX: @pc_rocks:

**** you 2 are as dumb as each other.

For you protoss, since you can't comprehend what you read (a common trend among cows)

I said all gaming is up even BOARD GAME sales were up like 500%

What a muppet 🤣🤣🤣

No need to get upset that you were owned as usual. Actually on second thought, you should I mean getting owned by Protoss is next level sh*t.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain-  Moderator

@latech84 said:

@i_p_daily: The truth is that both PC and console gaming are very popular and loved.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Livecommander

@xantufrog: name at least 5 triple A franchises that consistantly came out on pc 1st before consoles besides the the the witcher early games.

Cdpr is the last triple AAA pc centric company. It doesn't matter that other companies eventually cater to it as well. My claim is that they put consoles 1st.

All this talk about about selling more and being bigger yet events and dlc often happens 1st on console

Yet almost every commercial for multiplatform promotes consoles only.

If consoles were available in poor and foreign countries the way pc parts are you would truly feel the difference in global preference.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Livecommander

@eoten: 8.9 ? Maybe because the highest populated areas of the world don't sell main stream consoles ? And they are also pc junkyards and import free priced ?

Open ya eyes bro. Its shame I gotta explain more but I have other people to reply to rn lol

Edit: I think this response was for @noodlefighter:

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Livecommander

@zaryia: "better" does not equal being put 1st.

And better technical performance , doesn't always equal better overall performance.

Stop tryna spin shit.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NoodleFighter
@Livecommander said:

@xantufrog: name at least 5 triple A franchises that consistantly came out on pc 1st before consoles besides the the the witcher early games.

Cdpr is the last triple AAA pc centric company. It doesn't matter that other companies eventually cater to it as well. My claim is that they put consoles 1st.

All this talk about about selling more and being bigger yet events and dlc often happens 1st on console

Yet almost every commercial for multiplatform promotes consoles only.

If consoles were available in poor and foreign countries the way pc parts are you would truly feel the difference in global preference.

It's totally not like Microsoft and Sony make multi million dollar deals with companies to get those DLCs and events first on their consoles and to promote the games on their consoles. Funny consoles need all that yet PC revenue in games continues to match or surpass the consoles without relying on mass marketing and timed exclusive DLC bull crap. Nevermind that in the past and the future game companies have made deals with Nvidia, Intel, AMD and etc for PC exclusive graphical features to be implemented in their games.

Also Epic isn't a PC centric company? The company that is spending millions on giving out free games on PC and gaining exclusivity of PC versions of games so they can compete with Steam as one of the largest PC game stores. Creative Assembly isn't PC centric either even though most of their games are PC exclusive? DICE isn't PC centric even though they always release incredibly optimized games on PC that continue to take advantage of high end hardware?

@Livecommander said:

@eoten: 8.9 ? Maybe because the highest populated areas of the world don't sell main stream consoles ? And they are also pc junkyards and import free priced ?

Open ya eyes bro. Its shame I gotta explain more but I have other people to reply to rn lol

8.9% of users on Steam use integrated graphics. Your narrative of the majority of Steam users using potato PCs has BTFO.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zaryia

@Livecommander said:

@zaryia: "better" does not equal being put 1st.

And better technical performance , doesn't always equal better overall performance.

Stop tryna spin shit.

Better gfx and better fps isn't better? lol okay. This kid.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Livecommander

@zaryia:

You are a herm so you should know its not as simple as graphics and fps.

Graphics come in many different departments and pc factually aren't leading in all of them. ( Hdr , talented animators etc )

And guess who has the record for most polygons on a character model ? Not a pc game smh

Which is retarded since you guys love to claim its ways better in every way. Pc should have that record without even trying if that was the case.

But yall do spend put car down payments worth of money every couple years so I understand the defense lol

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Livecommander

@NoodleFighter: in the past 10 years alone almost all 500 dollar desktops came with a dedicated gpu.

Dont be ignorant to the scene in China and other highly populated parts of the world as well. They can get a 1060 for 100 dollars probably

That right there throws your integrated stats in the garbage.

When I was 10 my mom bought me a 600 dollar dell for everything but gaming.

You can bet your ass I occasionally signed up to services and play games somtimes on it anyway.

So all these pc stats and percentages are bullshit.

I've been alive almost 30 years now and I've done enough observing actually and virtually and second handly lol

Half of those gpus having usersdidnt buy their pc for gaming but do it somtimes anyway.

When someone buys a console their is always higher chance that they actually bought it with the main intent of gaming

The same can't be said for pc. And it never will.