Steam: Everybody wants Halo, nobody wants Gears

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#1 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4918 posts) -

Currently looking at the Steam wishlist where Halo MCC is the second most demanded game on the list. This series will likely get a whole new life on PC, and will probably be more popular than it was on console. You know what isn't in demand? Gears 5... it's sitting at like #83 despite being two months away. Is that a testament to how poorly Microsoft is marketing this game, or is the game dying as one of Microsoft's tentpoles?

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?ignore_preferences=1&os=win&filter=popularwishlist

Oh well, not to worry too much. MS can always lean on The Bard's Tale or Wasteland 3 to pick up the slack of AAA franchises. LOL! But seriously though, as someone who likes Gears, this is kind of distressing news. Ever since yanking the IP away from Epic, the sales have been on a sharp decline. Moves like Game Pass will likely kill what sales showing it could have had dead.

Maybe it's the PC crowd not caring for this game at all even with the heavy emphasis on multiplayer. But you'd think it could at least make a better showing than Tank Mechanic Simulator.

#2 Posted by rmpumper (669 posts) -

PC will get all of the Halo games, while most never got to play 2-3-Judgment (only the original had a shitty port and then 4), so it's hard to care about series that you never had the chance to play before.

#3 Posted by dagubot (1371 posts) -

I'm not a fan of Gears of War so I don't plan on picking up Gears of War 5. I mean...tough shit for Gears 5 but it is what it is. That series needs to take a break in my opinion; not branch out the series into other stupid shit like Gears POP and whatever the other genre they have mixed with the Gears universe that was in the works as well.

#4 Edited by madrocketeer (6634 posts) -

It's only two months away and I still don't know what's supposed to be so great about Gears 5, and why should I pay full launch price for it.

On the other hand, I've played Halo 1 & 2, and they were both alright. Not great, but good for a bit of fun for $10 each.

#5 Posted by sonny2dap (1537 posts) -

Just think gears lost its' way a little bit, the very perfunctory showings of the game haven't helped either, plus MCC is offering some of the best Halo experiences on PC for the first time and upgrading the experience on console, I believe it's supposed to be 4K 60fps on xbox one x, the frame rate will probably make the biggest difference for most people considering it was locked at 30 and would drop down to 20 in places.

#6 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

The PC ports of Halo have, in the past, proven to be good games worth mentioning and generally fun.

The PC ports of Gears have, the rare times it's been attempted, been an unholy mess.

#7 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Can't hardly wait to sink mah teeth into Mighty AAA Gears 5. :D

Halo: Infinite launching with MonsterBox Scarlet makes me wet. lol :P

#8 Posted by UnrealGunner (1069 posts) -

Gears of War is third person and third person shooters aren't that popular on PC

#9 Posted by DaVillain- (37555 posts) -

Halo has been on the market for so many years, Halo's still the best MS game I personally love and enjoy. Gears of War were only great from last-gen Gears 1,2,3 & even I enjoy Judgment were amazing but it overstayed it's welcome and Gears 4 was so disappointing, I seen barely any hype for Gears 5. Glad I got Gears 4 for free from my 1070 purchase and it's already bad enough Gears 5 will be on Game Pass and even on Game Pass, I can't even get excited either.

Halo MCC is sitting on my Steam Wishlist anyways. The truth is, Gears hasn't been the same since Cliff B. left Epic.

#10 Posted by NoodleFighter (10461 posts) -

@madrocketeer:They've shown so much multiplayer gameplay footage but actual singleplayer gameplay footage outside of the initial trailer is non existent.

#11 Posted by KungfuKitten (26743 posts) -

GeOW5 PR has been a little... out of sync.

#12 Posted by DaVillain- (37555 posts) -

@NoodleFighter said:

@madrocketeer:They've shown so much multiplayer gameplay footage but actual singleplayer gameplay footage outside of the initial trailer is non existent.

The Beta starts soon, so it's why they are keeping things tight on the single player but then again, anyone who has played Gears will know the single player is more the same. Also, Gears 5 will be on Game Pass, so no need to pay full price and I'll be using my GP to play it so I won't have to pay full price.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (34379 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

GeOW5 PR has been a little... out of sync.

Yes, all those conflicting expressions, le emotion.

That's what action fans want to see. Real fucking art that was, like Picasso but drawn better.

#14 Posted by Fedor (5271 posts) -

@unrealgunner: Fortnite is pretty popular.

#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31459 posts) -

Like@rmpumpersaid, you can't expect PC gamers to care about a series they've never had a chance to play.

Gears is a pretty great game, but honestly it becomes a bit boring after so many similar games

Good to see Age of Empires: DE so high up on people's wishlist :)

#16 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

i had not realized gears 5 was on Steam

#17 Edited by madrocketeer (6634 posts) -

Okay, I've just went ahead at took a look at the thing.

Cyberpunk 2077 is top, as expected. Not in my Steam wishlist though - it's on my GOG one instead.

Destiny 2 at 9 is a little surprising. I just stuck it there as a reminder to make my decision on August 31st.

Subverse at 11. Bwahahahahaha. Of course. (And no, not on mine.)

Wolfenstein: Youngblood at 12 is surprising for a game I felt had so little hype.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall at 17. (Puts world domination plan away) Okay, humanity, you get to live. For now.

And WTF is Bum Simulator?!

#18 Posted by Archangel3371 (28407 posts) -

I’m hyped for both myself. I really enjoyed both Halo 5 and Gears of War 4, thought both games were quite good. Watched some gameplay for the new mode in Gears 5 and it looked pretty fun.

#19 Posted by pdogg93 (1663 posts) -

Gears 5 will be more of the same. The series has not evolved whatsoever. MS just so lazy

#20 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (7121 posts) -

I took advantage of that gamepass promotion to upgrade gold for 1 dollar, so I'll be playing it through gamepass til 2021. Couldn't care less about the story at this point. Only in it for the multiplayer and horde.

I know the mtx in 4 rubbed alot of people the wrong way(myself included), not sure if that has anything to do with its declining popularity.

#21 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1710 posts) -

@unrealgunner said:

Gears of War is third person and third person shooters aren't that popular on PC

For some reason, PC gamers think third person games need to be played with a controller. As for myself, I've always found Gears ugly. Not interested in ever playing it.

#22 Posted by Ant_17 (12739 posts) -

I know no one cares, but i want to believe herms being spitefull cause it was an Epic IP.

#23 Posted by uninspiredcup (34379 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@unrealgunner said:

For some reason, PC gamers think third person games need to be played with a controller. As for myself, I've always found Gears ugly. Not interested in ever playing it.

I don't think that's the case at all. Pretty much every Resident Evil game post 4 is better on M/K. Max Payne 1/2/3, Alan Wake and older titles like MDK.

Wall-cover itself tends to be better suited to a control, but wall-cover as a mechanic, has always been shit. Still bemused as to why some people enjoy it.

#24 Posted by XVision84 (16329 posts) -

I'll have both with game pass but I couldn't care less about Gears 5.

#25 Posted by PC_Rocks (2556 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@unrealgunner said:

this

#26 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1710 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@unrealgunner said:

I don't think that's the case at all. Pretty much every Resident Evil game post 4 is better on M/K. Max Payne 1/2/3, Alan Wake and older titles like MDK.

Wall-cover itself tends to be better suited to a control, but wall-cover as a mechanic, has always been shit. Still bemused as to why some people enjoy it.

The majority of Max Payne 3 players on PC use controllers. I bet if you watched some Resident Evil 2, RE5 or RE6 videos, you'd see controller icons in most of them.

Wall cover isn't better suited to a controller. It might be less important with a mouse and KB, but it's not any more difficult.

#27 Edited by DaVillain- (37555 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@unrealgunner said:

That's how I role in most 3rd-person shooters and I'm not ashemed to admit that I do favor using my Xbox Elite controller for all my gaming on PC and I do in fact use KB/M if needed in various 3rd-person shooters. But above all, 1st-person shooters I use KB/M only.

Gears 4 on PC wasn't the best looker, but far from ugly as PC gamers make it out to be.

#28 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1710 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Gears 4 on PC wasn't the best looker, but far from ugly as PC gamers make it out to be.

They're all ugly. It's not the graphics, it's the art style.

#29 Posted by DaVillain- (37555 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@davillain- said:

That's what happens when developers don't know how to use Unreal Engine lol.

#30 Posted by pyro1245 (5158 posts) -

Who would play GoW on Steam when they are all available through GamePass for much much less money?

#31 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1710 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@davillain- said:

That's what happens when developers don't know how to use Unreal Engine lol.

Not sure what the engine has to do with it, considering what I just said. I mostly dislike the character designs.

#32 Edited by sealionact (4086 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: I don't get how your enjoyment of the game is affected by sales?

#33 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4918 posts) -
@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: I don't get how your enjoyment of the game is affected by sales?

Is it gonna be crossplay day one for the Steam release with Xbox console goons? If not, the multi being a ghost town is gonna be a knock against it right there if sales don't pick up.

#34 Posted by sealionact (4086 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: But you're playing on PC right? Are PC lobbies still that hard to fill? There'll be enough players for a few years at least.....and I hope any Crossplay with pc is optional. Too many cheats on that platform for my liking.

#35 Posted by Fairmonkey (1472 posts) -

Gears has always been a one trick pony with beefy, macho men that has honestly not aged well. It just seems like 2000's cheese at this point. Also, the series has barely evolved and the later gears, much like halo, just havent been up to snuff. No one in the real world cares about gears

#36 Posted by watercrack445 (1735 posts) -

They still use the same animation. Also, they are trying to make Marcus Fenix's son look like a badass but we barely even know him.

#38 Posted by lundy86_4 (53643 posts) -

Halo is simply the better series. Gears was rock-solid, especially with things like Horde mode. Halo simply has the clout, even given 343's luke-warm additions. Hopefully Infinite is a solid addition to the Halo franchise.

#39 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4918 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: But you're playing on PC right? Are PC lobbies still that hard to fill? There'll be enough players for a few years at least.....and I hope any Crossplay with pc is optional. Too many cheats on that platform for my liking.

Yes, obviously PC lobbies will be hard to fill if people are this lukewarm on the game even before it releases. Same with any title that underperforms. If the title is struggling to gain attention on Steam, then the Windows 10 version will be practically non-existent. This thread is about MS not really doing anything much to bring attention to Gears this year.

#40 Posted by Pedro (35472 posts) -

@sealionact said:

Because he is a shill. LMAO

#41 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19165 posts) -

I've always been a Halo fan more than Gears, but I'm looking forward to Gears 5... I just hope the campaign is good (I enjoyed 4's campaign, so hopefully they expand on it for 5).

#42 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4918 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@sealionact said:

Because he is a shill. LMAO

Yeah, that's rich coming from the white knight of the board.

#43 Edited by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -

I remember when Gears of War was winning GOTY awards everywhere, the only MS game to ever achieve that feat to my knowledge.

People were really caught off guard by it's graphics at the time. It seemed like a revolution.

After that initial honeymoon of Gears graphical shock wore off, the praise for the following titles quickly went down hill.

#44 Edited by WESTBLADE (508 posts) -

As a former Xbox 360 owner, i played all the games (except Judgment), Gears 2 being my favorite of the series. Coincidence is, that i bought Gears 4 literally RIGHT NOW (it's on sale for less than 10€ right now + don't give a F* about season pass/online multiplayer).

BTW, i play ALL my PC games on gamepad/wheel with games that support it natively. Only exception being, for example, point'n'click games.

That KB/M is such a pathetic overblown PC gamer stereotype... I prefer comfortability over ''super precise" aim + i don't give a F* about multiplayer in shooters. Now throw at me some KB/M player ''online'' in a fighting or racing game and he's DOA in that match/race.

#45 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -

Certainly don't need any more Gears of Woke, series is long past it's sell by date. Wouldn't mind trying Halo though as I missed it originally.