Steam brings online to local coop and couch play!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10576 Posts

Valve have announced that Steam will have a new remote play feature that will allow all games with local multiplayer to be played with other people online to come out later this month on October 21st. Best part is only one person needs to own the game in order for it to work. There are a lot of local multiplayer games on PC nowadays and strangely some of the newer ones don't have online multiplayer such as Cuphead. I wanted to play Wizard Of Legends with a Steam friend a few weeks back but was disappointed to find out the multiplayer was only local. Now with this new Steam feature we can finally play together. Not only that but for games with small or near dead online multiplayer communities but have local play this is a great way to keep the communities alive longer and get more value out of your game.

link

Meanwhile the Epic Store still doesn't have a shopping cart. Forget the Epic Store this features makes the consoles look bad too especially since they're traditonally seen as the go to platform for local multiplayer. Maybe if we're lucky Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo may be pushed into implementing a similar feature. Imagine all the old previous generation console games that have online and local multiplayer that are now ghost towns or shutdown, a feature like this could be a mini revival for these multiplayer games.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39077 Posts

Best part about gaming PC, "free online" at no extra cost is why I game on PC for features such as SteamWorks.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54168 Posts

That's actually kinda cool.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter

@davillain-: Yet people will continue to say Valve doesn't do anything just because they didn't get another Half Life or Left 4 Dead even though Steam provides a service that is not only superior to other platforms on PC but consoles themselves that charge you for it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts

Awesome. Really just no downside to this.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3244 Posts

Cool but FYI, Sony had this feature since the beginning of this gen with the PS4

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoodleFighter

@FinalFighters: I completely forgot about that I thought Shareplay was only for letting people take over your own game. But it is limited in comparison to what Steam is aiming to do, they will allow more than one person to play with you. From what I read on the playstation site you need PS+ to hand over another controller while Steam's equivalent is completely free.

dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dagubot
Member since 2017 • 1440 Posts

PC stays winning 😎

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44800 Posts

This is why Steam, despite not really making games, is still a powerful force in the gaming world. They always have something going on behind the scenes, and then they drop the news and it's awesome.

They are a privately owned, pro-consumer company that isn't beholden to stockholders, but to their customers.

@lundy86_4 said:

That's actually kinda cool.

Don't act so surprised haha.

@NoodleFighter said:

@davillain-: Yet people will continue to say Valve doesn't do anything just because they didn't get another Half Life or Left 4 Dead even though Steam provides a service that is not only superior to other platforms on PC but consoles themselves that charge you for it.

Pretty much exactly this.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24669 Posts

If it would work well, it would be awesome. I could finally play Crawl online with friends.

But as with other companies that have already tried this (like Nvidia), there will most likely be a lot of latency problems. I'll try it for sure, but I doubt I'll do more than just try it out.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25675 Posts

Actually, Nvidia had something like this going back in 2015.

https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/16/nvidia-geforce-experience-share-beta/

"The game stream co-op feature, meanwhile, works not unlike Sony's Share Play. You can invite friends -- who presumably need a GeForce Experience-compatible graphics card and Share access as well -- then stream it over the internet with low-latency. From there, they can watch you play, take control and show you how it's done, or join you for co-op play. NVIDIA didn't say if your graphics would take a hit like they do on Sony's Share Play, but it likely depends on your hardware and internet speed. If you're interested, you can now grab the beta from NVIDIA's GeForce Experience site."

I don't know if it works anymore or if they discontinued it, however.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Litchie
@NoodleFighter said:

There was a time when Valve updated Steam and made games..

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator

@NoodleFighter said:

@FinalFighters: I completely forgot about that I thought Shareplay was only for letting people take over your own game. But it is limited in comparison to what Steam is aiming to do, they will allow more than one person to play with you. From what I read on the playstation site you need PS+ to hand over another controller while Steam's equivalent is completely free.

SharePlay was very limited on PS4 side and at the time, developers/publishers were very against the idea of letting friends playing a game they don't own from online assuming that person will never buy the game if they decided to play it for free. For as long as I own a PS4, I only used it once and never took advantage of it and I'm not sure if SharePlay is still a thing, but I think developers/publishers are now open about it. And yes, you still need PS4, but on Steam side, it'll be much easier without paying.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 5990 Posts

Yeah Sony had SharePlay for long, same with Nvidia, but it's great to have it straight on steam now

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 31906 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Good guy Nvidia.

This is actually a really cool feature, I had never heard of it :P

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NoodleFighter
@Litchie said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Yeah but a lot of fans are taking their anger out on Steam because it generates Valve so much money that they don't need to make games anymore. Some of them hate Steam so much to the point they'd rather have it fail or not exist at all because they want to push Valve back into game development. A good amount of people that support and defend the Epic Store do it because they believe Epic buying out games for exclusivity will force Valve to develop the games they want again even though that is most likely not going to happen. These people's love of Valve games have blinded them of what Valve has done for PC gaming with Steam and other things. Valve has made Linux a viable option for gaming now, they made M+KB centric games more accessible in the living room with the Steam Controller, their OpenVR platform has helped unify VR support on PC, their own VR headset helps keep the market competitive and all the features they've implemented into Steam over the years that makes it appealing to so many people.

But since none of this is new games that they want it doesn't count as Valve doing anything and have supposedly been a lazy monopoly.

But yeah I wish Valve still made games that people wanted especially since with Steam printing money for them, they could go nuts on their budgets and not worry about poor game sales since Steam itself would easily cover the cost. Speaking of Valve supposedly have an upcoming flagship VR game coming out this year. I remember they were also hiring game developers for "secret upcoming projects" but I'm not really holding my breath. There is also Campo Santos that they bought out I haven't heard any news on the development on the game since March 2018 the month before Valve acquired them and their most recent dev blog post is from December 2018 about the Fire Watch Nintendo Switch port.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/16/nvidia-geforce-experience-share-beta/

"The game stream co-op feature, meanwhile, works not unlike Sony's Share Play. You can invite friends -- who presumably need a GeForce Experience-compatible graphics card and Share access as well -- then stream it over the internet with low-latency. From there, they can watch you play, take control and show you how it's done, or join you for co-op play. NVIDIA didn't say if your graphics would take a hit like they do on Sony's Share Play, but it likely depends on your hardware and internet speed. If you're interested, you can now grab the beta from NVIDIA's GeForce Experience site."

I don't know if it works anymore or if they discontinued it, however.

Well the downside to the Nvidia game sharing is that it can only be done with Nvidia cards while Steam is going to let all people regardless of hardware brands share games with each other. I haven't heard much about the nvidia game sharing feature either since its initial release. Apparently its an experimental feature still but that was as far back as 2017 when people were making tutorials on how to play Cuphead online. While trying to look it up I just discovered an app called Parsec. I'm not sure how good it is though but a shame I just now figured it out. Oh I'd likely use Steam's anyway since it will be more streamlined and have more support.

Loading Video...

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13282 Posts

@davillain- said:

Best part about gaming PC, "free online" at no extra cost is why I game on PC for features such as SteamWorks.

So the best thing about PC is free online, peasant race confirmed lol

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Litchie
@NoodleFighter said:
@Litchie said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Yeah but a lot of fans are taking their anger out on Steam because it generates Valve so much money that they don't need to make games anymore. Some of them hate Steam so much to the point they'd rather have it fail or not exist at all because they want to push Valve back into game development.

I get why people are angry. They probably like Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, etc. more than they like Steam. I do as well. If I had a choice between getting more Steam updates, or no further updates but new games in these franchises, I'd take the new games any day. But I shouldn't need to choose, since Valve is big enough to do both. But they don't, and it's very frustrating to gamers. What Valve is doing now does barely nothing for me to make up for not getting any more Valve games, and I believe it's the same for lots of gamers.

@NoodleFighter said:

A good amount of people that support and defend the Epic Store do it because they believe Epic buying out games for exclusivity will force Valve to develop the games they want again even though that is most likely not going to happen.

No, that just sounds stupid.

@NoodleFighter said:

These people's love of Valve games have blinded them of what Valve has done for PC gaming with Steam and other things. Valve has made Linux a viable option for gaming now, they made M+KB centric games more accessible in the living room with the Steam Controller, their OpenVR platform has helped unify VR support on PC, their own VR headset helps keep the market competitive and all the features they've implemented into Steam over the years that makes it appealing to so many people.

I think that instead of people being blind to what Valve is doing for PC gaming right now, it's more that people miss Half-Life.

Those things are great. But I, such as many other gamers, don't care for shits about Linux, Steam controller or their VR headset. These things, to many gamers, does nothing to fill the void of no more Valve games. What Valve is doing now for PC gaming is great, but getting new great games would be better for me and a lot of fans.

@NoodleFighter said:

But yeah I wish Valve still made games that people wanted especially since with Steam printing money for them, they could go nuts on their budgets and not worry about poor game sales since Steam itself would easily cover the cost.

Yup. And like I said, that makes it so much more frustrating that they aren't making games.

So yeah, I understand the hate they get. I believe Valve themselves does as well.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain-  Moderator

@i_p_daily: I don't call console gamers peasants nor do I look down on them.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 5483 Posts

That's awesome!

I have a few games that are local only.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8763 Posts

Good to see this feature come to steam finally. This is very nice.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4311 Posts

Wow this is actually pretty great! Look forward to some co-op Enter the Gungeon

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8763 Posts

@davillain- said:

SharePlay was very limited on PS4 side and at the time, developers/publishers were very against the idea of letting friends playing a game they don't own from online assuming that person will never buy the game if they decided to play it for free. For as long as I own a PS4, I only used it once and never took advantage of it and I'm not sure if SharePlay is still a thing, but I think developers/publishers are now open about it. And yes, you still need PS4, but on Steam side, it'll be much easier without paying.

How was it limited? I got entire gaming sessions in using it. You have to reconnect every hour -- is that the limitation you're speaking of? That's the only thing I can think of.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22006 Posts

this is great! now i can play any game with my frie....?? oh wait. i have no friends.

welp this sucks lol

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1660 Posts

Whats the point in this?

All games that are co-op already have multiplayer solutions. And the ones not designed for it? why even bother buying them if you care about it?

Kinda pointless.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Litchie
@Gatygun said:

Whats the point in this?

Playing local MP games online.

@Gatygun said:

All games that are co-op already have multiplayer solutions.

Not online.

@Gatygun said:

And the ones not designed for it? why even bother buying them if you care about it?

Because you want the game for its local MP?

The hell is the point of your post?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25675 Posts

@Gatygun said:

Whats the point in this?

All games that are co-op already have multiplayer solutions. And the ones not designed for it? why even bother buying them if you care about it?

Kinda pointless.

Some games only have local MP, thus the want for such a feature. Have you really seen no games with only local MP and no online MP? Games like Cuphead.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain-  Moderator

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Gatygun said:

Whats the point in this?

Kinda pointless.

Some games only have local MP, thus the want for such a feature. Have you really seen no games with only local MP and no online MP? Games like Cuphead.

Or how about the upcoming Master Chief Collection while playing Combat Evolve and with this kind of feature, it makes local MP a dream come true that the original Xbox could do for it's time is why SteamWorks is a big deal.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#31 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5295 Posts

@NoodleFighter:

Consoles already have local multiplayer. It all just comes down to the game and whether or not the developer chose to include it. But still, it's good on Steam to do this.