"State of Decay 2" and the hype thread on killing Zombies for dummies ^-^

• 55 results
#1 Edited by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

Oh yes, it's the sequel to State of Decay and with State of Decay 2 (which is a Survival game) is just right around the corner, now's a good time to be all excited to play this MS Exclusive not so AAA game. And it should be noted that I love Zombie games!!!

State of Decay 2:

• Developer: Undead Labs.
  • Publisher: MS Exclusive.
  • Release date: May 22, 2018.
  • Platform: Xbox One/Windows 10 and will come to Steam at a later date since the first game is on Steam.

PC specs Minimum:

• Architecture: x64, X64
  • Keyboard: Integrated Keyboard
  • Mouse: Integrated Mouse
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Memory: 8 GB
  • Video Memory: 2 GB
  • Processor: AMD FX-6300 | Intel i5-2500 @ 2.7GHz
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 | AMD Radeon HD 7870

PC specs: Recommended:

• Architecture: x64, X64
  • Keyboard: Integrated Keyboard
  • Mouse: Integrated Mouse
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Memory: 16 GB
  • Video Memory: 4 GB
  • Processor: AMD FX-8350 | i5 4570 @ 3.2 GHz
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | AMD Radeon R9 380

Taken from: PC Gamer if you want to read more. Best thing about the Windows 10 version is, it's cross-play, Play Anywhere, and most of all, State of Decay 2 will be on Xbox Game Pass which is a huge bonus, play it for free if you haven't use the Game Pass yet. Despite it's only $30 bucks, take advantage on the free game and this game is 10x times better then Sea of Thieves and that's a fact!

Also, there's the Collectors edition for any hardcore collectors out there and it's gonna cost ya $80! (If you ask me, I leave that shit alone and just play the game)

And so with that, I'll go with a 8/10 since Gamespot gave the first one a 8/10 just to play it safe. But hey, it's a zombie game, so what could go wrong right? So who's hype?

IGN Review:

#2 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

GS 6.0 meta 81

#3 Posted by enzyme36 (4269 posts) -

This will be great! Nothing better than killing zombies in games.... people claim its overplayed, but I honestly do not see enough of it in gaming lately.

#4 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

Love zombie games and i'm never tired of them. Bring it!

#5 Posted by GarGx1 (10929 posts) -

If it was a new Sony exclusive then I'd say a 9 on Gamespot and 95 on MC! It's not though, so I'll go with a safe 8/10 on GS (unless there is something they can really chew down on that doesn't taste like brains) and 82/100 on Metacritic.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#6 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3418 posts) -

It will score a 7 here because of the price, (a 6 or lower if it were $60) and I’m 100% against price being a factor in review scores. It just seems like something these hipster millennial “journalist” would do.

#7 Posted by lamprey263 (36204 posts) -

I have no doubt I'll like it, really liked last game and this seems to be a big improvement, co-op is definitely going to help the experience. Though, it's a Microsoft exclusive game, a not real exclusive since it will be on PC, and I imagine it'll be heavily scrutinized, I imagine it will get a 8/10 here at best, but who knows it's an XB1 console exclusive so I wouldn't be surprised if it got a 7 or lower.

Since this is coming out a week from Detroit and the Switch's Hyrule Warriors I can only imagine that would encourage reviewers al around to shit on it more and prop the other games up.

#8 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

Its on the Xbox and PC so insta flop 2/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
#9 Posted by deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec (6762 posts) -

My brother wants to coop this. Wonder how cross play will work...

#10 Posted by with_teeth26 (9618 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

My brother wants to coop this. Wonder how cross play will work...

obviously I haven't tried it with this game yet, but its worked really well when I have used it (sea of thieves, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4...)

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#11 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4996 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Why? If it's at least as decent as the last game it's gonna be worth the time. And it's not like it's a big investment either.

#12 Posted by spike6958 (6701 posts) -

I enjoyed the original quite a bit, will probably pick this up at some point.

#13 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19250 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Lol...

Anyway, not my cup of tea.

#14 Posted by brimmul777 (4137 posts) -

I've pre-ordered SoD 2,but I don't think it will get high reviews on most gaming sites,simply because it's an Xbox One title.

#15 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10475 posts) -

6/10 here... 73/100 meta.

#16 Edited by JoshRMeyer (10475 posts) -

And why isn't this direct x 12? I must be out of the loop... I thought all new MS games were using that.

#17 Posted by Needhealing (2042 posts) -

7/10

#18 Edited by Pedro (35601 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

Why? If it's at least as decent as the last game it's gonna be worth the time. And it's not like it's a big investment either.

Gamepass definitely makes it extremely affordable without a doubt.

#19 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

I'll go with 8.0 the game looks good for what it is.

Sad to see cowardly lemmings underhyping their only good looking game this year voting 7 and lower and making some dumb damage control about Sony already.

And it took a supposed "cow" to make this tread or it wouldn't have been made.

Lems have really fallen all they do it cry about Sonys AAA games and try to critique them but won't even bring up the games on their system they supposedly like better.

#20 Edited by KungfuKitten (26790 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

It will score a 7 here because of the price, (a 6 or lower if it were $60) and I’m 100% against price being a factor in review scores. It just seems like something these hipster millennial “journalist” would do.

Hmm but it is a factor though. They've just been ignoring it because it's a tough factor to take into account but there are different standards per price tier. I do take it into account when I write reviews myself. Not just for games but also for other products.

#21 Posted by Fuhrer_D (931 posts) -

6 on GS, probably an 8 everywhere else.

#22 Edited by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

Looks like it could be fun.

#23 Edited by Creepywelps (2964 posts) -

7 here

73 meta.

#24 Edited by blueinheaven (4566 posts) -

I loved the first game and can't wait for the new one. My personal hype for this is a 9 but if I'm to guess I reckon it'll get an 8 on GS and 80+ on metacritic.

I would go with 9 but it's apparently quite similar to the first one, just greatly improved which actually is exactly what I want from it but reviewers are complete asshats and will cry about it being too familiar so I'm going with an 8.

#25 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5188 posts) -

@davillain-:

I'm probably going to wait on a price drop for it. The first one was great but it wasn't day-one amazing.

#26 Posted by GioVela2010 (5566 posts) -

#27 Posted by blueinheaven (4566 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@davillain-:

I'm probably going to wait on a price drop for it. The first one was great but it wasn't day-one amazing.

Fair enough but it's not full price. The standard game costs much less than most new titles presumably to still make some kind of impact at retail and online sellers with game pass being a thing.

Brand new on Amazon in the UK for £24.99 at launch compared to current price of £45 for God of War as an i.e.

#28 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5188 posts) -

@blueinheaven:

Is that on disc only? I was planning on getting on Xbox Live Store.

#29 Posted by RR360DD (14099 posts) -

I think this will get trashed for being buggy and unpolished

But still, can't wait to get my hands on this

#30 Edited by blueinheaven (4566 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@blueinheaven:

Is that on disc only? I was planning on getting on Xbox Live Store.

The Amazon listing shows the same price for disc or download code. I can't imagine it will be cheap on the Xbox store unless you wait for it to go on sale there.

#31 Posted by kuu2 (11164 posts) -

Hoping it’s finished.

#32 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5188 posts) -

@blueinheaven:

True. Xbox Live sales suck most of the time. But it beats waiting in line at Gamestop.

#33 Posted by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@davillain-:

It's apparently releasing at $30 usd!

#34 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@davillain-:

$30 isn't too shappy for that your getting at State of Decay 2. But of course, if you have Game Pass, just play it through that since Game Pass is only $10, pay even less with that.

@joshrmeyer said:

And why isn't this direct x 12? I must be out of the loop... I thought all new MS games were using that.

In conclusion, things are not looking good for DX12 as most triple AAA developers are not currently supporting it. It never was really much of an improvement if any, and in many cases, decreased performance on certain games compared to DX11. Hopefully they do better with DX13.

It doesn't help that MS itself hinders the adoption by restricting these API's to newer operating systems for no reason other than to push the new operating system. We have seen several DX generations go completely unused because of this, because people don't see the need to update their OS.

#35 Posted by rrjim1 (1748 posts) -

$23.99 from Amazon with Prime!

#36 Posted by GameboyTroy (9159 posts) -

8/10

#37 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

@tgob89 said:

I'll go with 8.0 the game looks good for what it is.

Sad to see cowardly lemmings underhyping their only good looking game this year voting 7 and lower and making some dumb damage control about Sony already.

And it took a supposed "cow" to make this tread or it wouldn't have been made.

Lems have really fallen all they do it cry about Sonys AAA games and try to critique them but won't even bring up the games on their system they supposedly like better.

Cry us a river.

#38 Posted by Larsa_Ferrinas (192 posts) -

@joshrmeyer:

6 here

7.5 metacritic

Ign State of Damage Control

#39 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

Some of the reviews are in. IGN already has a review vid and updated the OP. I'll add some more reviews later on.

#40 Posted by scatteh316 (10253 posts) -

6/10..... maybe a 7/10 depending on who reviews it.

#41 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

Huge fan of zombie games and horror games in general, i have an eye on this but for whatever reason im not super excited, i dont know why ... I hope game delivers !

#42 Edited by deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec (6762 posts) -

@AzatiS: Hopefully the co-op is fun.

Did you try the first game? It's quite wonky in its execution but it isn't without its good moments.

#43 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -
@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS: Hopefully the co-op is fun.

Did you try the first game? It's quite wonky in its execution but it isn't without its good moments.

For a reason it didnt have the atmosphere im looking for in zombie games. Im huge fan of zombination games but i want a serious note and atmosphere, post-apocalyptic/the end of the world like. State of Decay didnt give me the impression of that, nor games like Dead Rising or Left 4 dead. Too zergy/messy for me. I dont know if State 2 will be any different but as all zombie games out there, im following to see if its for me

#44 Posted by deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec (6762 posts) -

@AzatiS: Yeah, and I don't think State of Decay 2 will be any different. The animations still have that cartoonish snap to them. It's not the same tone as something like The Last of Us or Days Gone.

Although, State of Decay wasn't without its serious moments. The tone isn't comparable to Dead Rising. It sides a little less on the outlandish cartoony aspects.

#45 Edited by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

Hype...met?

#46 Edited by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

Hype...met?

Still waiting for Gamespot score. But if you want to know more on other reviewers think so far, they are, all Review Articles: (Taken from SoD forum)

• TrueAchievements 05/17/18 4.5 out of 5 90.00%
  • GamingTrend 05/17/18 85 out of 100 85.00%
  • Worthplaying 05/17/18 8 out of 10 80.00%
  • DarkStation 05/17/18 4 out of 5 80.00%
  • IGN 05/17/18 7.5 out of 10 75.00%
  • EGM 05/17/18 7.5 out of 10 75.00%
  • USgamer 05/17/18 3.5 out of 5 70.00%
  • Twinfinite 05/17/18 3.5 out of 5 70.00%
  • TheSixthAxis 05/17/18 7 out of 10 70.00%
  • GamesRadar+ 05/17/18 3.5 out of 5 70.00%
  • AusGamers 05/17/18 7 out of 10 70.00%
  • Post Arcade (National Post) 05/17/18 6.5 out of 10 65.00%
  • Game Revolution 05/17/18 3 out of 5 60.00%
  • Hardcore Gamer 05/17/18 3 out of 5 60.00%
  • God is a Geek 05/17/18 6 out of 10 60.00%
  • COGconnected 05/17/18 40 out of 100 40.00%
  • CGMagazine 05/17/18 4 out of 10 40.00%

I wasnt expecting a critical darling kind of game from MS. This isn’t a game engineered to win over critics like some games are. (Lala Sea of Thieves) Looks like a huge leap over the first State of Decay and that's good enough for me at least.

#47 Posted by Fuhrer_D (931 posts) -

6/10 on GS, probably an 8 everywhere else.

#48 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@davillain-: Dude, Undertale wowed the world. Let's not act that indies or low tier devs can't shake the gaming world.

#49 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

@davillain-: Dude, Undertale wowed the world. Let's not act that indies or low tier devs can't shake the gaming world.

I don't underestimate Indie games at all, even Undertale was a surprise cause it was unique game at the time.

#50 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@Ant_17 said:

I don't underestimate Indie games at all, even Undertale was a surprise cause it was unique game at the time.

I'm just saying, maybe we could have gotten the return of the Zombie craze and SOD could be the...patient zero of it all.