PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

So, we all know that MS's acquisition spree is bad and I'm not going to defend it at all. Would rather if the deal is blocked. However, it does have a silver lining that we may finally see Starcraft 3 though still think it would take 5-6 years from now even if it were to happen as soon as the deal is closed.

In recent times both EA and MS for some reason started liking RTS again with C&C: Remaster and AoE 4 along with the remasters. While I love AoE 4 it's no where near polished like SC2 was. That was just perfection, can't believe it's already over a decade since it came out in 2010.

Pretty sure current Blizzard doesn' have the talent to make a game like SC2 again but hey a person can still hope. What do you think SW, SC3 or WoW2? Or I'm just dreaming and it will be CoD as usual?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@pc_rocks:Wherever you stand on the MS acquisition from an ethical standpoint, I think we can mostly agree that the various IP's held under ABK stand a better chance of seeing the light of day under Microsoft.

I mean, hell...MS just released a non-combat flight simulation and a real-time strategy, two genres that are pretty niche these days, if we are being honest.

Couple those two rarities and the fact their subscription service Game Pass is very popular, and that popularity is reliant on a stream of new games coming in all the time, I think the odds are pretty good we might see some new content from all those ABK studios.

As for Blizzard, I'm thinking they already have the next ten years planned out already and Microsoft isn't going to really change them that much.

What do I want to see, from Blizzard specifically? A new IP; I want to see if they still have the ability to create something new and good, or if they're just a company that is only good for rehashing old franchises and keeping WoW running.

I think Quake belongs to Activision, would love to see a new Quake singleplayer game; I still think Quake IV was underappreciated. A sequeal to the Battlefield-like Quake Wars Enemy Territory would be cool, too.

There's also Heretic, Battlezone, SiN, and so on...though I'm not sure if they still own all those IP's.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yeah I recon so, it and Warcraft 4 are more of a possibility now since id expect Microsoft to want to capitalise on the more successful franchises. I'm half expecting a WoW2 or something too since MMOS have the potential to print more money than a country. $68.7 billion to make up so I'm expecting them to release quite a lot following that acquisition.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

I would love to see a new Starcraft, but I'm not really buying into the whole 'they will because they can'. Now that MS has all these studios, they're going to prioritize what makes the most sense to them. Their resources are still limited.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

Theyre in good hands. In Microsoft we trust.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44133 Posts

Yep, there seems to be a lot of very good possibilities that could come from this acquisition.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yes I think it's a likelihood now. Which is great

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

@pc_rocks: I'm all up for Starcraft 3 but what about Starcraft: Ghost?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46229 Posts

Age of Mythology 2

Starcraft 3

Warcraft 4

Age of Empires V

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PC_Rocks

@davillain said:

@pc_rocks: I'm all up for Starcraft 3 but what about Starcraft: Ghost?

Never heard of it! :P

@R4gn4r0k said:

Age of Mythology 2

Starcraft 3

Warcraft 4

Age of Empires V

Rise of Nations 2

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:

Rise of Nations 2

I don't see it as a pure RTS, as it's kind of a side genre, but sure.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#12 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yes, but don't expect it to be the same as old StarCraft. Microsoft will not tolerate Blizzard sitting around play-testing the game to death for years and years with a AAA budget - not least because modern Blizzard no longer have the people who can do that. Expect Age of Empires IV budget and development.

Which might not be a bad thing. I've long thought StarCraft II's focus on the competitive scene ultimately hurt it, as the competitive players move on, leaving a game that's less about three cool sci-fi races hitting each other and more about build orders and APMs. A back-to-basics StarCraft game focused on the cool factor might be exactly what the franchise needs to revive itself.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

> Buy Blizzard

> Get Relic to make it

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Be nice if they fix Reforged.

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 296 Posts

Warcraft IV is what I'm hoping for but seeing that they own all these IP's now, I would love for them to branch out and create different genres now. Warcraft single-player RPG? Fighting game with Master Chief against Thrall or Crash fighting Banjo? Multiverse kart racing game with Doomguy in his own hell theme kart and Marcus Fenix in a motorbike 😂

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Lol MS will just stick with popular franchise like halo gears forza call of duty oblivion that’s about it, how i know look at their history don’t think it will change

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@madrocketeer: I completely agree. I'm probably biased since these days I mostly loathe competitive multiplayer and really just want SP and coop experiences in most games. But even then, I used to do a fair bit of SC MP and felt the emphasis in SC2 was too hard in that direction (although the campaigns were mostly a good time - just fell short of SC1+BW)

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

I hope they improve mouse and keyboard support for the xbox. It already works reasonably well, but I'd like to see some improvements to it also.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I wonder if Master Chief will show up in Heroes of the Storm 🤔😜

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

Yes with full controller support

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

StarCraft 2 wrapped up the entire storyline, no matter how terrible is ended up being. They should just focus on a new IP using similar mechanics. I won't be touching another rehashed property from Blizzard that doesn't need a sequel or continuation.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

They included a picture of StarCraft in the announcement, I think that’s very indicative of Microsoft’s intentions.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

@uninspiredcup: That would be pretty awesome actually, Relic make some excellent RTS game (except for DoW3 which was meh). But their original Dawn of War games as well as Company of Heroes 1-3 (3 based on alpha seemed promising) were excellent.

Funny thing is, if I am not mistaken, Starcraft is actually a Warhammer 40k ripoff (lore wise, and ripoff is a strong word but cant think of something that conveys the idea better), or at least took a lot of inspiration from it. I believe Blizzard wanted to make a Warhammer RTS, but Gamesworkshop would not give them the license, so they made Warcraft instead. I would assume there is some idea taking in Starcraft as well (although I dont believe they bothered approaching gamesworkshop for starcraft after getting shutdown for Warcraft/Warhammer)

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 675 Posts

I hope they will, but consider it highly highly unlikely.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Not sure why we should care. Everyone who made Starcraft are gone. Warcraft too. Blizzard is now keeping WoW and Overwatch up, while doing phone games. They opted for money instead of quality, and fucked up the whole company in the process. Just like so many other gaming companies do.

I hope instead the talent Blizzard had makes some other studio and something similar to Starcraft. That'd be be much better for gamers and fans.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Yes, it is a possibility, but how good would it be ? I mean all the main responsibles for SC are long gone from the company if i'm not mistaken ... so yeah, i'm hyped because Starcraft is one of my all time favorite franchises but i do hope any potential sequel is as good as the previous games.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blaznwiipspman1

@HoolaHoopMan said:

StarCraft 2 wrapped up the entire storyline, no matter how terrible is ended up being. They should just focus on a new IP using similar mechanics. I won't be touching another rehashed property from Blizzard that doesn't need a sequel or continuation.

the zerg are never done, they always make a come back...just like the metroid

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blaznwiipspman1
@tribesjah said:

@uninspiredcup: That would be pretty awesome actually, Relic make some excellent RTS game (except for DoW3 which was meh). But their original Dawn of War games as well as Company of Heroes 1-3 (3 based on alpha seemed promising) were excellent.

Funny thing is, if I am not mistaken, Starcraft is actually a Warhammer 40k ripoff (lore wise, and ripoff is a strong word but cant think of something that conveys the idea better), or at least took a lot of inspiration from it. I believe Blizzard wanted to make a Warhammer RTS, but Gamesworkshop would not give them the license, so they made Warcraft instead. I would assume there is some idea taking in Starcraft as well (although I dont believe they bothered approaching gamesworkshop for starcraft after getting shutdown for Warcraft/Warhammer)

you are mistaken, dawn of war came out in 2004. Starcraft released in 1998. If anything, dawn of war ripped off starcraft. A lot of games did, because the game is that great, and deserves to be ripped off.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@tribesjah said:

you are mistaken, dawn of war came out in 2004. Starcraft released in 1998. If anything, dawn of war ripped off starcraft. A lot of games did, because the game is that great, and deserves to be ripped off.

He's right. They wanted Warhammer so made their own version.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 madsnakehhh
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

It would make no sense at all to have the Zerg as the enemy again, specially after the SC2 ending ... they would need some new races and a new threat.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By madrocketeer
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Dawn of War came out after StarCraft, yes, but Dawn of War is based on the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game, which preceded StarCraft and obviously influenced it. Terrans took bits of both the Imperial Guard and the Space Marines - the Marine unit in particular obviously took design inspiration from the Astartes. Zerg = Tyranids. Protoss is more unique, but does have subtle influences from both Tau and Eldar.

Blizzard wanting to make a Warhammer RTS but losing the licence is a long-standing rumour. Never confirmed, but it's very obvious why it exists.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blaznwiipspman1

@madrocketeer said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Dawn of War came out after StarCraft, yes, but Dawn of War is based on the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game, which preceded StarCraft and obviously influenced it. Terrans took bits of both the Imperial Guard and the Space Marines - the Marine unit in particular obviously took design inspiration from the Astartes. Zerg = Tyranids. Protoss is more unique, but does have subtle influences from both Tau and Eldar.

Blizzard wanting to make a Warhammer RTS but losing the licence is a long-standing rumour. Never confirmed, but it's very obvious why it exists.

I see, I didn't realize there was such a history behind it. Anyways, there is influence but the story line is probably different. If you want to talk about influence, you can use lord of the rings by j r r tolkien, published in 1937 as something dawn of war took a lot of notes from.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blaznwiipspman1
@madsnakehhh said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

It would make no sense at all to have the Zerg as the enemy again, specially after the SC2 ending ... they would need some new races and a new threat.

then whos the new enemy? I need to replay the game, I forget how it ends.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Age of Mythology 2

Starcraft 3

Warcraft 4

Age of Empires V

Age of Mythology 2 has taken too long to make. Why do they always do this with great games?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By madrocketeer
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I see, I didn't realize there was such a history behind it. Anyways, there is influence but the story line is probably different. If you want to talk about influence, you can use lord of the rings by j r r tolkien, published in 1937 as something dawn of war took a lot of notes from.

Well, yeah. Warhammer 40,000 pretty much started out as a gothic sci-fi version of Warhammer Fantasy, which is basically edgy Tolkien. They even lifted the four Chaos Gods wholesale, complete with common characters like Masque of Slaanesh and Skarbrand that have long made people wonder about the exact relationship between the Fantasy and 40k universes, as well as some Fantasy Elven gods like Khaine and Isha that got transplanted to the 40k Eldar pantheon. That lineage and influence remains.

The point is that Warhmmer 40,000 influenced StarCraft before StarCraft had any influence on Dawn of War.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HoolaHoopMan

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

They retconned SC1 and essentially made Kerrigan 'the chosen' one to fight the Xelnaga. Script reads like fanfiction. Probably the same people who wrote Diablo 3's plot.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 madsnakehhh

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

They retconned SC1 and essentially made Kerrigan 'the chosen' one to fight the Xelnaga. Script reads like fanfiction. Probably the same people who wrote Diablo 3's plot.

They didn't make Kerrigan the "chosen" one ... they only explained why the Overmind choose her as a Zerg agent, i'm not saying it is 100% original, but is not as different as other Sci-Fi plots ... i honestly liked the conclusion, it was a good ending compared to the cliffhanger that left BroodWar.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HoolaHoopMan

@madsnakehhh said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

They didn't make Kerrigan the "chosen" one ... they only explained why the Overmind choose her as a Zerg agent, i'm not saying it is 100% original, but is not as different as other Sci-Fi plots ... i honestly liked the conclusion, it was a good ending compared to the cliffhanger that left BroodWar.

The cliffhanger of BroodWar is exactly what was needed. At that point Duran was still a mysterious figure working on the behalf of another celestial power. Now Kerrigan is just some magic star baby that saves the day due to 'her DNA'.

Then they proceeded to retcon the Zerg origins and Xelnaga into the same crap we saw in WarCraft III with Orcs. No longer were the Orcs or Zerg supposed to be feared, now we are forced to sympathize with them. It's half baked nonsense. You could tell they took the same cookie cutter story arc there and applied it to Starcraft lore.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#39  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

If Blizzard wanted to make Starcraft 3, they would have made it by now. It is a huge franchise that has sold extremely well. There was nothing preventing them from making it before.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 madsnakehhh

@HoolaHoopMan said:

The cliffhanger of BroodWar is exactly what was needed. At that point Duran was still a mysterious figure working on the behalf of another celestial power. Now Kerrigan is just some magic star baby that saves the day due to 'her DNA'.

Then they proceeded to retcon the Zerg origins and Xelnaga into the same crap we saw in WarCraft III with Orcs. No longer were the Orcs or Zerg supposed to be feared, now we are forced to sympathize with them. It's half baked nonsense. You could tell they took the same cookie cutter story arc there and applied it to Starcraft lore.

Yes, the BroodWar cliffhanger was needed ... at that time, then we got the conclusion which was fairly good and a fitting conclusion on the Kerrigan/Reynor chapter.

If anything, the Zerg origin was indeed a bit meh ... and i'm not entirely sold on how both Protoss and Zerg are actually Xelnaga creations but i liked that they needed a 3rd party to break the cycle. Again, not a 100% original plot, but it had good moments.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k

@Zero_epyon: AAA studios love dictating what we should and shouldn't play. They say stuff like:

RTS are dead

Horror game are dead

People want live service games

People want NFTs in their games

Yet all these decisions they make are simply based around greed.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks

@BassMan said:

If Blizzard wanted to make Starcraft 3, they would have made it by now. It is a huge franchise that has sold extremely well. There was nothing preventing them from making it before.

Because the Blizzard was butchered by Bobby. There was a report quite a few years back how he isn't happy with Blizzard's way of working and subsequently Blizzard employees shock when their 'supposed independence' was taken.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Zero_epyon: AAA studios love dictating what we should and shouldn't play. They say stuff like:

RTS are dead

Horror game are dead

People want live service games

People want NFTs in their games

Yet all these decisions they make are simply based around greed.

It's really annoying.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@Zero_epyon said:

It's really annoying.

Money speaks loudest, all we can do is keep buying highly polished (indie) games, and keep avoiding live service trash like Assassin's Creed or Battlefield.