Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order hype is real!!!

• 60 results
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10575 Posts
@davillain- said:

@NoodleFighter: Star Wars has always been more aimed towards "Fantasy" then "Sci-Fi" itself but I guess what makes it more Fantasy is the fact the series never takes place on Earth nor in the Star Wars lore they never discover planet Earth is what makes Star Wars so special.

Star Trek however is definitely more Sci-Fi.

I don't like Star Trek either tried watching it but it's just too boring for me too. I don't think the lore around the Earth based on what you're telling me is much interesting either unless they imply that all the humans in the far far away galaxy originated from Earth or they're an alien race that just happens to look human.

@with_teeth26 said:

I've never been huge on Star Wars either, for me I think its the insane commercialization and annoying fanboys that turn me off more than anything else.

then again, I like Lord of the Rings which is in a similar boat some maybe something else that turns me off the IP.

that being said, i'm optimistic about Jedi: Fallen Order. I reckon Respawn are probably EA's best studio at this point (aka king of the garbage pile)

i'll probably end up playing it

The commercialization of the franchise is also a turn off too. It also repelled me from the current Marvel because everything is being turned into the MCU and things that aren't such as the X-Men and Fantastic Four being owned by Fox before they were owned by Disney being purposely sabotaged in way possible.

@locopatho said:

"Science Fantasy" is a term that is sometimes used. Basically, if you try and explain the mad shit that happens it's sci-fi, if you just shrug and say don't worry about it, it's fantasy. Depends on what parts of the (extremely) extended universe you look at though.

"The Force is a mysterious energy that binds us all" = fantasy, same as Gandalf casting a spell. It just happens, we don't need to know or care why or how.

"The Force comes from little parasitic creatures in our blood called midichlorians that let us tap into their energy" = science, an attempt to explain seemingly magical acts with a rational explanation based on observation of natural phenomena. Not very well, in this case, I think...

Same deal with lightsaber colours, it used to be (in the original trilogy) a fantasy thing of the goodies using bright colour blades and the baddies using evil red blades. Think they did a whole science-y explanation of crystal types to explain that, too...

Personally, I prefer the fantasy thing of just saying **** it, the Force exists and baddies use red blades. I don't care why :P

Your explanation of magic working because its magic is one of the main turnoffs to why I don't like most fantasy settings. The only medieval fantasy story I really like is Berserk because it is not your typical dungeons & dragons setting and has a fairly good explanation on how magic works and why their world is the way it is. The explanation of the force in Star Wars is pretty stupid and better off being left as this mysterious thing.

I believe why I like Warframe so much despite being Sci Fantasy is that it has a good balance of sci fi and fantasy and brings some unique things to it. Most other sci fi fantasy I've been exposed to is just European medieval fantasy put in a futuristic/space setting. Warframe instead has a futuristic amalgamation of most ancient civilizations which makes its setting stand out more in comparison. Their are no aliens to have as stand in mythical races like in Star Wars, despite how advanced humanity's technology is they're still alone. The fantasy element of Warframe works better than Destiny and Star Wars. While warframes are technically space magic it is done in a way that is more well thought out and still leaves mystery behind it so it isn't ruined with a dumb explanation like how the force works in Star Wars.

Evil_Loli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 Evil_Loli
Member since 2018 • 253 Posts

I like that Jedi trailer, nice that MS is leading Jedi Fallen Order advertising for both Xbox One S & X. This game will look fantastic on my Xbox One X 4KTV. Yep, I'm preordering this game asap.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts

It's been a slow winter for me video game wise, so I really hope this is awesome. At least an 8/10.

TBH though, I really want another KOTOR game.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#54 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3445 Posts

I see some "journalists" have already been bought..now thats a good sign, I'll wait for the user reviews as usual.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5496 Posts

@Dark_sageX: Bought, who, how exactly?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39071 Posts

@Litchie said:

I haven't really been paying attention, but I don't really understand the hype. I've seen no sign that this SW game will be better than recent SW games. That trailer was just some cinematic bullshit and made me even less interested. I'm not a fan of either EA or Respawn. Game reminds me of Force Unleashed, another SW game I don't care about.

I'll let the early adopters tell me if it's just an average and derivate action game with a SW theme, or if it's something that's actually worth playing.

Oh yes, I been meaning to answer this.

Depends how you view Star Wars in terms of games but it has been 9 years since we had an actual single player Star Wars game since The Force Unleashed 2, Jedi Fallen Order is a big deal because it's a single player only fans have been waiting for. Battlefront 2 doesn't count, it focus too much MP and EA almost ruin that game. Luckily I been following Jedi Fallen Order and EA learned that lesson, not everyone is a fan of MP. Overall, 9 years since Force Unleashed 2 and it's overdue for a SW single player to take it's place. I don't expect this game to be top tier among SW games such as KOTOR, just looking for an action-adventure type of feel.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#57  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24669 Posts

@davillain-: Personally, I'd be excited too if the most recent SW games had been good, or if the new movies and the whole deal with Disney didn't suck immensely. So forgive my disturbing lack of faith for new projects in the franchise. The game itself doesn't look special in any way to me either. Like a SW themed Tomb Raider. That might be cool to some. Completely meh to me. The game being tied to EA also doesn't help.

But again, we'll see. Hope I get pleasently surprised by a good game.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#58 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3445 Posts

@vfighter: Probably EA, the usual schtick, pay "journalists" to give the game positive reviews to stoke hype.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 clone01
Member since 2003 • 27592 Posts

@x_hedon said:
@davillain- said:
Loading Video...

First, it was Mandalorian 2nd trailer release yesterday and now it's Jedi Fallen Order turn, what a great time to be a Star Wars fan this November! Respawn has been working hard to deliver their latest AA game and it's one of the Star Wars single player game I'm looking forward to the most. (Sorry Death Stranding)

Sorry Episode 9, I don't even know who you are anymore :(

The trailer is sick. The only thing that prevents me from buying this game is the difficulty. I am not good at souls games, and apparently this is also pretty difficult.

I watched a youtube video of some gamers who'd played it and had first impressions (I think what-culture gaming), and I got the feeling it's not quite that punishing, buuuut you do have to put some thought into combat and stamina management.

x_Hedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60 x_Hedon
Member since 2019 • 105 Posts

@clone01 said:
@x_hedon said:
@davillain- said:

First, it was Mandalorian 2nd trailer release yesterday and now it's Jedi Fallen Order turn, what a great time to be a Star Wars fan this November! Respawn has been working hard to deliver their latest AA game and it's one of the Star Wars single player game I'm looking forward to the most. (Sorry Death Stranding)

Sorry Episode 9, I don't even know who you are anymore :(

The trailer is sick. The only thing that prevents me from buying this game is the difficulty. I am not good at souls games, and apparently this is also pretty difficult.

I watched a youtube video of some gamers who'd played it and had first impressions (I think what-culture gaming), and I got the feeling it's not quite that punishing, buuuut you do have to put some thought into combat and stamina management.

Thanks Clone. I am going to give the game a try. It can't hurt, and it does have a "story" mode so I should be "ok".