Star Wars Battlefront II beta open for all!

• 99 results
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

The Star Wars Battlefront II beta has now been opened for everyone. On PC, Xbox and PS4.

You'll get to try out large scale battles, space battles and a smaller strike mode in the beta, along with a singleplayer (co-op ?) arcade mission.

First impression for me are however not that positive:

- Extensive use of chromatic aberration and the amount of pop-in make this game look worse than Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 1 in some way
- Starcard system hardly seem fair and doesn't make for a level playing field
- Not being able to use first person camera on special classes
- Some guns look like vacuum cleaners

+ Class system
+ Lots of content in the beta

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you had a chance to check it out !

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

I don't find the graphics impressive at all. Also what's with all the film grain and chromatic aberration? I might change my opinion if I were able to actually see the game.

The leafs blowing around all over the place looks like a PhysX gimmick.

The gameplay is okay. Nothing special.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Will try when I get home. Hopes are not high.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k

@Jebus213: Chromatic aberration has only just been introduced in Battlefield 1. And I just can't understand why: The game looked absolutely incredible without it.

I see it's back with a vengeance in Battlefront II :(

Gameplay like you said can be fun but feels like nothing special unfortunately

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

Loved the last one and this looks better on every level but sad that will have to get PS4 version the pc one will be a ghost town soon after launch.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@Addict187 said:

Loved the last one and this looks better on every level but sad that will have to get PS4 version the pc one will be a ghost town soon after launch.

Have you tried the beta on PS4 ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k

@bowtothepc: Graphics are not as good as Battlefield 1 honestly. Maybe if they turn down chromatic aberration, lessen the pop-in and make some more adjustments it could be up there.

I'm still very intrigued by the singleplayer. Really, this jedi knight power fantasy, playing this super powered warrior fits a singleplayer more than multiplayer I feel.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

It's decent, but I got bored within hours. I am probably just burned out on class based FPS.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Cool. I might try this but honestly I’m just going to get the game regardless. Really looking forward to this game, it looks pretty awesome.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I heard this one is going to be p2w. Is that the case?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@bowtothepc said:

That's disheartening to hear. ANd what the hell were they thinking, no option to turn off chromatic Aberration.

Yeah no option to scale the FOV either.

Haha, but they are adding an option to turn off chrom. aberration for Battlefield 1 soon, so I hope that option makes it into the full version of Battlefront II !

@Archangel3371 said:

Cool. I might try this but honestly I’m just going to get the game regardless. Really looking forward to this game, it looks pretty awesome.

The beta gives a pretty good sample of what's in the full game. There is a lot fo content to explore :)

@Shewgenja said:

I heard this one is going to be p2w. Is that the case?

Hmmmm, it just seems more grind 2 win.

Because people that have played for longer will have far better abilities, because they get more and better starcards.

Honestly I think the Star Card system is total poop and it was total poop in the last game too.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Oh yeah I’m sure it does it’s just that I really don’t need any more convincing for me to purchase the game which is why I’ll probably just wait until the game is released to start playing it. Plus I’m kind of busy with other games right now anyway.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

downloading now just to stare at the graphics and then uninstall

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

The chromatic aberration is just on the PS4 and X1? You can disable that on PC, right?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Have been playing it for 2 days.

While better than Battlefront 1 in almost every aspect, it's still too simple and casualized. I don't get why can't DICE use some of Battlefield best features and deeper mechanics in these series aswell:

• 40 players instead of 64
  • no destruction
  • no medic class
  • no jump in/out vehicles
  • no squad system
  • no prone
  • no climbing ability
  • no iron sights
  • etc
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Downloading it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I was hoping they'd make the first one more like Battlefield with team classes since it was made by DICE, but it was just a shallow run 'n gun with incredible imbalance.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Downloading it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I was hoping they'd make the first one more like Battlefield with team classes since it was made by DICE, but it was just a shallow run 'n gun with incredible imbalance.

I agree, and they are falling in the same mistake again!

It's better than the previous game, sure, but still unnecessarily arcadey and casual. I don't know why can't DICE use the far deeper mechanics and features of Battlefield in these series aswell!?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#21 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

The chromatic aberration is just on the PS4 and X1? You can disable that on PC, right?

I might be mistaken but they recently added to BF1 and I dont think it can be disabled, so might be the same here.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#22 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

don't like how all the text have that weird static effect. Argh

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Tried it, wasn't a fan

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

I enjoyed the first one but there wasn't anything special about it. Will download and try this one.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#25  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Jebus213: Chromatic aberration has only just been introduced in Battlefield 1. And I just can't understand why: The game looked absolutely incredible without it.

I see it's back with a vengeance in Battlefront II :(

Gameplay like you said can be fun but feels like nothing special unfortunately

The chromatic aberration blurfest is reason enough to not buy SWBF2. They would be wise to remove it. Incoming BF1 patch is supposed to give you the option to turn it off.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@with_teeth26 said:
@AdobeArtist said:

I might be mistaken but they recently added to BF1 and I dont think it can be disabled, so might be the same here.

So to clear things up:

- Chromatic Aberration was added to Battlefield 1 recently, but it was only added to the russian DLC maps. Meaning every other map did not have that visual setting added.

Honestly it's very noticable right away and I think it's an absolutely horrible feature but I'll try and stick to facts:

- DICE has confirmed there will be an option to remove Chromatic Aberration from Battlefield 1
- Battlefront 2 beta also features Chromatic Aberration, my guess is in console and PC version, which can not be turned off
- So far I've not heard about an option to turn it off in the full game, but perhaps the feedback from Battlefield 1 will make them reconsider

@PAL360 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I agree, and they are falling in the same mistake again!

It's better than the previous game, sure, but still unnecessarily arcadey and casual. I don't know why can't DICE use the far deeper mechanics and features of Battlefield in these series aswell!?

Totally agree, I mean they might be on the right track with some features, like the point system you can use for heroes or stronger units, but then they throw in a lot of stuff that makes this just worse than Battlefield.

For example: they introduced a pilot and tanker class in Battlefield 1, why not do something similar here ?

After playing it some more I feel Battlefront II can deliver some arcade fun, but it's nowhere near as good as Battlefield 1. It's just not on the same level.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BassMan

@drlostrib said:

downloading now just to stare at the graphics and then uninstall

That is a waste of time and bandwidth as you won't be able to see the graphics through all the blur.

Edit: Saw that you tried it and were not a fan.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:

The chromatic aberration blurfest is reason enough to not buy SWBF2. They would be wise to remove it. Incoming BF1 patch is supposed to give you the option to turn it off.

Yeah I'm hoping an option will be added in the next Battlefield 1 patch, the one coming this month.

Chromatic aberration is hardly gameplay affecting but... I feel it simply has no place here. Battlefront 1 and Battlefield 1 looked great without it.

I'll go as far as to say Battlefront 1 and Battlefield 1 looked mindblowing.

Dunno why they added it in the first place, maybe to be more like a movie (shot with a crappy camera) ?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BassMan

@R4gn4r0k said:
@BassMan said:

Yeah I'm hoping an option will be added in the next Battlefield 1 patch, the one coming this month.

Chromatic aberration is hardly gameplay affecting but... I feel it simply has no place here. Battlefront 1 and Battlefield 1 looked great without it.

I'll go as far as to say Battlefront 1 and Battlefield 1 looked mindblowing.

Dunno why they added it in the first place, maybe to be more like a movie (shot with a crappy camera) ?

I think they must be handing out drugs to developers at GDC, because this shit is popping up in way too many games. You have to be on drugs to think CA actually looks good.

I agree that both BF1 (without the CA) and SWBF1 look amazing.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:

I think they must be handing out drugs to developers at GDC, because this shit is popping up in way too many games. You have to be on drugs to think CA actually looks good.

I like playing first person games so much.

But it's just something I don't understand: how can something be shot through a camera when it's clear I'm looking through the eyes of a person ?

Because human eyes don't have lens flares or chrom. aberration, those are camera effects.

But anyway have you had a chance to try out the beta ? Any thoughts on the gameplay ? :)

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

better than the first game. still a terrible game

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BassMan

@R4gn4r0k: I have not played much as the blur was taking away my enjoyment of the game. Gameplay has not impressed me. It just seems like a lot of chaos. Everybody running around and not knowing what to do. I haven't really gotten a feel for all the classes yet. I seem to have taken to the Heavy as it has the shield and can put out some good damage. I briefly got into a ship and it was so hard to fly with mouse controls. Default sensitivity is way too high and I will have to adjust it. The heroes are annoying to run into as it is imminent death. I dunno, I never really got into the first game even though I love Star Wars. This one does not seem that great either. Battlefield is much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

Weird...maybe because it's just a beta, but the online gameplay footage looks better than the beta....unless that was the PC version, pretty sure the graphics should be close to finalized by now. Talking about the PS4 version or Pro which ever it's using...couldn't tell.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:

@R4gn4r0k: I have not played much as the blur was taking away my enjoyment of the game. Gameplay has not impressed me. It just seems like a lot of chaos. Everybody running around and not knowing what to do. I haven't really gotten a feel for all the classes yet. I seem to have taken to the Heavy as it has the shield and can put out some good damage. I briefly got into a ship and it was so hard to fly with mouse controls. Default sensitivity is way too high and I will have to adjust it. The heroes are annoying to run into as it is imminent death. I dunno, I never really got into the first game even though I love Star Wars. This one does not seem that great either. Battlefield is much better.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Star Wars too, and it's a universe that translates very well to games I feel.

But I dunno neither Star Wars Battlefront nor Battlefront 2 has me going: Oh wow, this is a multiplayer game I could sink hundreds of hours into.

It'd even be better to take out the jedi/sith from multiplayer. You can NOT have these guys be underpowered, I mean they are jedi/sith ffs, but is it fair to have them in there ? Should they be balanced ? I really don't know...

That's why I feel a star wars setting could work way better as a singleplayer game.

@fastnslowww said:

Weird...maybe because it's just a beta, but the online gameplay footage looks better than the beta....unless that was the PC version, pretty sure the graphics should be close to finalized by now. Talking about the PS4 version or Pro which ever it's using...couldn't tell.

I also remember the E3 demo looking better than this.

It doesn't feel like final graphics are in the game at all. The blur... the insane amount of pop in when you zoom your weapon ...

It's weird but this game can look good at times, but for a DICE / Frostbite game it looks totally disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Just played the PS4 pro version.

Graphics are crap.

Gameplay is crap.

Dice.. EA .. Disney... all this money, such mediocrity.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@MBirdy88: But the singleplayer could still be good ... right ?

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@BassMan said:

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Star Wars too, and it's a universe that translates very well to games I feel.

But I dunno neither Star Wars Battlefront nor Battlefront 2 has me going: Oh wow, this is a multiplayer game I could sink hundreds of hours into.

It'd even be better to take out the jedi/sith from multiplayer. You can NOT have these guys be underpowered, I mean they are jedi/sith ffs, but is it fair to have them in there ? Should they be balanced ? I really don't know...

That's why I feel a star wars setting could work way better as a singleplayer game.

@fastnslowww said:

I also remember the E3 demo looking better than this.

It doesn't feel like final graphics are in the game at all. The blur... the insane amount of pop in when you zoom your weapon ...

It's weird but this game can look good at times, but for a DICE / Frostbite game it looks totally disappointing.

Agreed. I'm honestly guessing it's not using the PS4 pro, just the PS4 version...cause it looks that way. The main thing missing is realistic lighting the footage had.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@R4gn4r0k said:

@MBirdy88: But the singleplayer could still be good ... right ?

Dunno probably not? SP shooters bore me...

I mean, I don't get this product... they had an extra 2 years to make a better version... yet this feels as if it was nowhere near ready for prime time again either.

People we saying how great the new space combat is... its not... its still ridiculously simplistic and repetitive.

Downloading the PC version as I am biased towards mouse...

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DragonfireXZ95

I downloaded and tried it out. What a piece of garbage beta. Some classes are locked to 3rd person, and why even play in 1st person anyway? Sniper is OP as hell, at least for this level. And, why can't they put in a normal game mode that doesn't involve one team camping the entire match? Tired of these escort the payload gameplay types. Just give us fucking conquest. Lol

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k

@fastnslowww said:

Agreed. I'm honestly guessing it's not using the PS4 pro, just the PS4 version...cause it looks that way. The main thing missing is realistic lighting the footage had.

Hmmm I don't know about the beta, but the full release should be optimized for Pro for sure.

@MBirdy88 said:

I mean, I don't get this product... they had an extra 2 years to make a better version... yet this feels as if it was nowhere near ready for prime time again either.

People we saying how great the new space combat is... its not... its still ridiculously simplistic and repetitive.

Yeah the space combat isn't that great, I mean again it can be fun but... It's just scanning a bunch of red targetting reticules in the sky and shooting at them.

There is literally nothing going on for the players, engaging them, just scan and fire at the targets the game wants you to fire at.

Really even those big spaceships have, aside from the red triangles, big letters on them telling you when you can hit the damn thing. How are we not able to find that out for ourselves ?

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I downloaded and tried it out. What a piece of garbage beta. Some classes are locked to 3rd person, and why even play in 1st person anyway? Sniper is OP as hell, at least for this level. And, why can't they put in a normal game mode that doesn't involve one team camping the entire match? Tired of these escort the payload gameplay types. Just give us fucking conquest. Lol

Conquest on these big maps like Naboo or other famous battlegrounds of the movies would be great.

Damn, so many good ideas that would make for a great Star Wars game... Shame none of them are coming from DICE / EA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@R4gn4r0k said:
@fastnslowww said:

Hmmm I don't know about the beta, but the full release should be optimized for Pro for sure.

@MBirdy88 said:

Yeah the space combat isn't that great, I mean again it can be fun but... It's just scanning a bunch of red targetting reticules in the sky and shooting at them.

There is literally nothing going on for the players, engaging them, just scan and fire at the targets the game wants you to fire at.

Really even those big spaceships have, aside from the red triangles, big letters on them telling you when you can hit the damn thing. How are we not able to find that out for ourselves ?

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Conquest on these big maps like Naboo or other famous battlegrounds of the movies would be great.

Damn, so many good ideas that would make for a great Star Wars game... Shame none of them are coming from DICE / EA.

As I said, its absolutely mind boggeling on how badly designed the game is, and its really suprising coming from dice... makes me think its EA/Disney taking over any sort of common sense.

Could of Reskinned battlefield and had an amazing product....

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Played a few matches just now on PC. Loved it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k

@MBirdy88 said:

As I said, its absolutely mind boggeling on how badly designed the game is, and its really suprising coming from dice... makes me think its EA/Disney taking over any sort of common sense.

Could of Reskinned battlefield and had an amazing product....

Since DICE is now on track of making one disappointing game, one great game in succession I've started to think the Battlefield and Battlefront team are totally seperate from eachother.

Even DICE LA, which is a studio I wasn't a big fan of after they ruined Medal of Honor, has been putting out some really solid Battlefield 1 DLC so I don't know what is going on with the Swedish studio.

Maybe the EA / Disney influence is getting to them... In which case I fear for any further Star Wars games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic said:

Played a few matches just now on PC. Loved it.

Good to hear man, I think the game can be pretty fun too!

What mode(s) did you try ?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DragonfireXZ95

@R4gn4r0k: I know I wouldn't mind the pew pew gameplay so much if we had some sort of non-camping mode and could freely move around the whole map at will instead of being forced into certain sections after the "payload" has moved up.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

It's optimized well but the pop-in distance is ridiculously small which really annoys me. Runs great at 1440p/Ultra/60FPS on a 1070OC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R4gn4r0k
@walloftruth said:

It's optimized well but the pop-in distance is ridiculously small which really annoys me. Runs great at 1440p/Ultra/60FPS on a 1070OC.

I was playing some Battlefront 1 yesterday and there was some pop-in too, but nothing as major as in Battlefront II where stuff just pops in right in front of your feet and if you zoom in with your weapon you see whole parts of the map appear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Did they add Command Posts(Spawn Points) in this game ? Without this feature the First EAFront was too linear.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k

@dorog1995 said:

Did they add Command Posts(Spawn Points) in this game ? Without this feature the First EAFront was too linear.

Spawning is pretty weird in this game (spawn system is way clearer in Battlefield 1 telling the player where he is gonna spawn)

You spawn in predetermined locations in Battlefront II and you either spawn alone or with other members from your team.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

it looks pretty

that's the only good thing i can say about it