DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnewsticker%2Fmeldung%2FGDC-2015-Grafikeffekte-und-Schadensmodell-vom-Weltraum-Epos-Star-Citizen-2569768.html

GS bugging out again so you'll have to go to the site manually. Sorry.

Anyway, saw this article on Reddit about the GDC presentation from CIG on the visual effects of Star Citizen and the challenges they face in trying to render larger environments, such has capital ships. Not much, but since there'll be a full presentation, panel and hands-on with the FPS module at PAX this weekend, i figure i'd get things rolling. (i won't be able to watch it. damm GMT).

Finally, i also wanted to post this pic of the damage states tech CI is using for the game. With 1.1 inbound, we'll probably see more of it soon enough.

These damage states where actually hinted at before, in a sneak peek, about a month ago.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Just keeps getting better and better

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DEadliNE-Zero0

Some pics of Shubin Interstellar Mining Station. Seems to be lacking some detail, so probably grey box

And PTU 1.1 is going live. shiiiiiiiiiit http://imgur.com/a/6Isdl

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC, why you so first place in gfx and games always!?

Love you #GDC

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DEadliNE-Zero0

Another pic, now inside the PTU 1.1

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Pax East presentation tonight, finally get to see the updated FPS that we will get to play later this month

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Can't wait for livestream.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

that does look f*cking great

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DEadliNE-Zero0

More.

lol

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GarGx1

@deadline-zero0 said:

More.

lol

It still has guns, what more do you need to fight ;)

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

This game will be graphics king for a very long time.

Remember when it seemed like Crysis was the graphics king for an eternity way back in the day? I know it had expansions with warhead and texture mods over the years to keep it as the graphics king.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DEadliNE-Zero0

@GarGx1: it's even lighter now, for extra speed and maneuvering. ;)

Tough, seriously, the detail they're putting into the damage states is quite impressive. It seems all ships will now have an interal frame with the upper layers being damaged.

Wonder if it'll apply to larger ships like the Reclaimer and Bengal.

Also, i guess this tech will be used for holecutting into ships

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GarGx1

@deadline-zero0 said:

@GarGx1: it's even lighter now, for extra speed and maneuvering. ;)

Tough, seriously, the detail they're putting into the damage states is quite impressive. It seems all ships will now have an interal frame with the upper layers being damaged.

Wonder if it'll apply to larger ships like the Reclaimer and Bengal.

Also, i guess this tech will be used for holecutting into ships

Hopefully it will be used for cutting holes, having to board a ship through a set entry point would be tactically difficult.

I've been following SC since the start and over the past 2 and a bit years they have never stopped surprising me and I really do wonder what they'll come up with next.

FPS module at PAX tonight will be awesome (although I likely won't be sitting up at 2am to watch it - GMT)

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DEadliNE-Zero0

@GarGx1: I imagine the specific areas are probably large, not justa tiny square. Can't seem allowing holecutting on the engines or cockpit.

Basically, if there's enough movign space to place a character inside, like the cargo areas, you can cut around it. But there'll always be some limitations.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

That looks outstanding.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DEadliNE-Zero0

@Motokid6 said:

**** your bullshit graphics king title. What we have here is a GAMEPLAY king.

It's both. :p

Also, some screens of the improved character model. Obviously still very early alpha, but it'll get much better.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GarGx1
Loading Video...

Damage state video, this is pretty cool. If you're good enough you could literally write your name on someone else's ship

Loading Video...

The reworked hangar ready Retaliator, awesome looking ship and pretty big as well. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one those torpedoes.

FPS videos aren't up yet

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cloud_imperium

@GarGx1 said:
Loading Video...

Damage state video, this is pretty cool. If you're good enough you could literally write your name on someone else's ship

Loading Video...

The reworked hangar ready Retaliator, awesome looking ship and pretty big as well. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one those torpedoes.

FPS videos aren't up yet

Destruction king

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

I don't know about gameplay king and it can certainly fail in that regard but the shit looks straight up bananas with nothing rivaling it visually now or even in the pipeline for the next 2 years. On the downside when this does release (in two years maybe lol) currently unknown projects may have been revealed that can potentially rival or surpass this stealing some of its thunder but that bridge hasn't come and isn't in sight.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I have a feeling I won't be playing this game for a while.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

Just gonna drop this here.

http://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron/v/3874697

The pax east presentation recorded and uploaded on twitch.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_imperium

@kweeni said:

Just gonna drop this here.

http://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron/v/3874697

The pax east presentation recorded and uploaded on twitch.

Thanks

@eNT1TY said:

I don't know about gameplay king and it can certainly fail in that regard but the shit looks straight up bananas with nothing rivaling it visually now or even in the pipeline for the next 2 years. On the downside when this does release (in two years maybe lol) currently unknown projects may have been revealed that can potentially rival or surpass this stealing some of its thunder but that bridge hasn't come and isn't in sight.

Renderer isn't finished. Final game will look helluva lot better.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GarGx1

@eNT1TY said:

The new damage states are being implemented into the playable alpha module on Tuesday. There's no waiting two years we can have it now.

On a side note FPS module is being added in a couple of weeks, they're still in the process of getting the updated animations into Cryengine (which look just as awesome btw) and then the first part of Squadron 42 will be out at the end of this year (estimated 17 missions and around 20 hours of playtime - the stream was a bit shit so I'm not sure if I picked the details up correctly)

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DEadliNE-Zero0

@GarGx1: Man, it's even more detailed than i thought. You can actually break off each part depending on where you shot, it's not a "fixed zone" system (expect the main body but that makes sense).

The detail is just insane. Here's the official post. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14568-Design-The-New-Damage-System

And that Retaliator. Is it just me, or does it look abit more detailed than the other ships? Did they improve texture quality?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I have a feeling I won't be playing this game for a while.

SQ42 Episode 1 is set for this year, though, it'll probably get delayed by a few months, so sometime in the first half of 2016.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@deadline-zero0: No...I mean this game looks like it's going to need a lot more horsepower to run that what I have in my rig. And I'm not planning on buying a new PC for a while.

And this doesn't look like the sort of game you play on medium settings....some games just deserve being played in all their glory.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I traded in my Reclaimer for an Orion.

That mining primer sold me on that part of the game. Especially the whole "it won't be just sitting there and grinding for hours on end, but actually skillful application of technique".

My Mustang Beta will be my explorer and my Freelancer MAX will be my primary cargo hauler until I can get a Constellation Taurus.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

So is this game ever coming out? Or are we going to just read news items about how many more millions they just got forever and ever? Meanwhile 'oh look Star Citizen just invented the idea of showing damage on space ships' yeah okay.

By the way those character models look terrible. They probably need a few more million before they can do them properly. I hope they get it, the poor pauper saps.

So, is this game EVER coming out?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DEadliNE-Zero0

@blueinheaven: Nope, it's set to be cancelled this year

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

LOL you guys i played a game back in like 2001 that did damage like this. yeah it wasnt nearly as detailed or "perfect" but its essentially the same. Star citizen has done nothing new but it does add to the gameplay and few games before it have managed to do it well.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GarGx1

@blueinheaven said:

So is this game ever coming out? Or are we going to just read news items about how many more millions they just got forever and ever? Meanwhile 'oh look Star Citizen just invented the idea of showing damage on space ships' yeah okay.

By the way those character models look terrible. They probably need a few more million before they can do them properly. I hope they get it, the poor pauper saps.

The only reason it appears to be taking ages to come out is due to the way C.I.G. are developing it in the open. We are getting to see and play stuff that every other games studio hides from the general public for several years before even announcing what they are working on.

It's only been in development since January 2013 when the Austin studio opened their doors.

@deadline-zero0 They have indeed up the quality of the Retaliator and will likely upgrade the graphics a few times yet, especially once they get a hold of DX12 and Vulkan. Freelancer is being reworked as we speak.

@hofuldig Please elaborate because in the 39 years I've been gaming I don't remember ever being able to accurately cut chunks of a target. Or one that would show different types of damage depending what has hit the target, i.e. a burn mark from a laser or a dent from a kinetic strike etc.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@blueinheaven said:

The only reason it appears to be taking ages to come out is due to the way C.I.G. are developing it in the open. We are getting to see and play stuff that every other games studio hides from the general public for several years before even announcing what they are working on.

It's only been in development since January 2013 when the Austin studio opened their doors.

@deadline-zero0 They have indeed up the quality of the Retaliator and will likely upgrade the graphics a few times yet, especially once they get a hold of DX12 and Vulkan. Freelancer is being reworked as we speak.

Jan 2013... I somehow had it in my head it was in development much longer. It probably just feels like it since we never stop hearing about it lol. But I keep seeing news of entirely different 'bits' of the game as though they are off on a different tangent every time instead of just working on producing 'the' game they intend to eventually release.

I'm not sure this kind of open development in conjunction with the public doesn't stretch dev time out even more. Anyway thanks for the informative reply.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GarGx1

@blueinheaven:

They have 3 C.I.G. Studios (Austin, Santa Monica and Manchester - Foundry 42) and 4 other studios doing subcontract work and all in all over 300 staff working on the development.

Unless you're actually following the game, you'll only be seeing snippets of the information they put out. As an example they put out a full monthly report from each of the studios to say what they are working on.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14563-Monthly-Report-February

Sometimes it's information overload :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Best graphics? Unreal puts this to shame!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Might as well just type GG if your ship ends up looking like this

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Heirren said:

It does? any non-tech demo proof? that isn't just a tiny corridor fest?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DEadliNE-Zero0

@Heirren said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@MBirdy88 said:

@Heirren said:

Yeah, the most recent Unreal thread. I think it was that thread. Everything about it looks better. Star Citizen looks like it still fits in the same category as last gen. I don't mean consoles, but just effects, lighting, etc. Games like Driveclub, The Order, and Unreal share a level of detail that transcends resolution and polygon count. The lighting and transparencies in those games give the worlds a mass to them. Someone posted a pic of Driveclub where it looks "bad"--off track with low poly humans and lower quality textures. Those aspects of the game do look "bad" in the sense of the characters being blocky and disfigured. However, these same blocky and disfigured humans simply look just that, but at the same time look as though they have weight....if that makes sense.

The Unreal stuff is the first pc game I've seen to share this, and then some.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GarGx1

@Heirren:

Troll harder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@GarGx1 said:

@Heirren:

Troll harder

Pardon? I gave a reasonable response.

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hofuldig

@GarGx1: LOL you guys i played a game back in like 2001 that did damage like this. yeah it wasnt nearly as detailed or "perfect" but its essentially the same. Star citizen has done nothing new but it does add to the gameplay and few games before it have managed to do it well.

Yeah well in your 39 years of gaming you have not played every single game ever created. so here you go. i booted a game called Star Trek bridge commander. this game was released in 2002 and uses direct X 8.

Star citizen has done nothing "new" but it does indeed add to the depth of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl25jIJTEdw&feature=youtu.be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Heirren said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Heirren said:

Yeah, the most recent Unreal thread. I think it was that thread. Everything about it looks better. Star Citizen looks like it still fits in the same category as last gen. I don't mean consoles, but just effects, lighting, etc. Games like Driveclub, The Order, and Unreal share a level of detail that transcends resolution and polygon count. The lighting and transparencies in those games give the worlds a mass to them. Someone posted a pic of Driveclub where it looks "bad"--off track with low poly humans and lower quality textures. Those aspects of the game do look "bad" in the sense of the characters being blocky and disfigured. However, these same blocky and disfigured humans simply look just that, but at the same time look as though they have weight....if that makes sense.

The Unreal stuff is the first pc game I've seen to share this, and then some.

At a surface level, I kinda see where you are coming from, but overall I don't agree:

1) You have to remember that the SC human models are far from final and when I say that It's true... not commercial game "alpha final". That is the most-basic updated human male model tested from the first batch of facial/body scans they did recently, and it has been stated from from final.

2) Cryengine stands up to UE4 in other ways, even UE3 and Cry engine were better than each other in different ways. UT and the other Unreal games look great from an artistic standpoint, but that is the engine's focus... exagurated styles and it looks great. Cryengine (bare in mind this is a completely mutilated/evolved cryengine since most of the ex-cry team staff are now working at Star Citizen aims for more "realistic" representation of graphics, and I feel it does it better still.

3) Most important: The sum of the parts (Graphics) of Star Citizen will be more impressive than The Order and various other unreal games, which mainly focus on a set piece. E.G The Order focuses on characters and blurs out most other aspects (though lots of objects look fantastic when focused on). But the sharpness, lighting, level of detail in the animation of star citizen is insane.

4) Scale - Something often neglected in these discussions, again games like The Order and Uncharted can made focused objects look that little bit better overall because to put it bluntly that is pretty much 99% of the game. Star Citizen, is both a Large Scale SP game and an MMO.

I could go on, but there is more to graphics than the height of detail in focused objects... especially when comparing games aiming for realism... and games aiming for artistic exaguration (E.G Batman, Unreal Tournament etc).

Now in the TC's post that ship from the video (retaliator) will have full animations, and an A.I OR player crew running around it, with the full destruction of the smaller ships... and the possibility of being borded by others, let alone an epic battle outside... the sum of the overall graphics of this game will far outstrip other games for years...

Loading Video...

Imagine the detail of that Smallish bomber.... scale up to these sizes:

NOTE: The Retaliator is the ship in the video.

Imagine the bengal carrier (which is now bigger than this old size chart) which has over 100 battle stations, 100+ a.i running around maintaining it, with its full animations, destruction ... both inside and outside this will be far beyond anything else in the industry currently if pulled off to the same fidelity as the rest of the game so far.

And engine is one thing... a passion and talent to go beyond the norm is another story entirely.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

Every time I'm thinking about purchasing a new graphics card, I see a new Star Citizen video. And that's that.

Though I do have to wonder: what's the point when RSI is going to say, "enough is enough"? Is crowd funding still going on for this? It worries me that there doesn't seem to be any limit to how far production extends. Money keeps rolling in, and more is promised. I don't have trouble with expansions but do tend to believe that any production needs to have clear boundaries on what defines it and what it's intended to be, and not just for financial considerations. Otherwise, it's just going to become an amalgamation of ideas with no focus or real foundation.

Maybe undue worry, but I'd hold more faith in someone who's creating something that they've 100% demarcated from inception than someone who has a general idea of what's to be done but no limits placed on its scope.

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hofuldig
@MirkoS77 said:

Every time I'm thinking about purchasing a new graphics card, I see a new Star Citizen video. And that's that.

Though I do have to wonder: what's the point when RSI is going to say, "enough is enough"? Is crowd funding still going on for this? It worries me that there doesn't seem to be any limit to how far production extends. Money keeps rolling in, and more is promised. I don't have trouble with expansions but do tend to believe that any production needs to have clear boundaries on what defines it and what it's intended to be, and not just for financial considerations. Otherwise, it's just going to become an amalgamation of ideas with no focus or real foundation.

Maybe undue worry, but I'd hold more faith in someone who's creating something that they've 100% demarcated from inception than someone who has a general idea of what's to be done but no limits placed on its scope.

You are forgetting one very important thing. THIS GAME HAS ONLY BEEN IN DEVELOPEMENT FOR LESS THAN 3 years!! most games take 4 or even more years to create.

you people annoy me OHH i was going to buy this new piece of hardware but i saw a new video from a game that wont launch for another 2 years so i decided to wait.

Not to mention there is a great chance that they will be implementing Direct X 12 and while current hardware will be able to implement it a fully complaint Direct X 12 card would be best.

(also screw windows 10 i am sticking with windows 7 forever.)

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

No new promises are made anymore. Stretch goals stopped few months ago and the only reason it took that long is because the community insisted to keep them going. But CIG has locked down what they're going to put in the official release long ago. Many of those stretch goals are either a post-launch thing or things that they had already planned for the game and decided to reveal it in a stretch goal(they actually said this).

I wouldn't worry about this game getting overloaded with ideas and not having a clear vision.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@MirkoS77 said:

The full launch does have a set deadline - end of 2016 - which is 4 years of development. Worry not, lots of the pledge goals have been confirmed not to be on release (e.g extras like pets etc).

End of 2015 - EVERY module will be out in its first iteration - so the first 17 missions of the Single Player campaign, and the first iteration of the Persistent Universe MMO (only 5 systems to start). The entirity of 2016 is spent building the rest of the universe, polishing/balancing etc .... the main big year where the core features are in place and its go time to mass produce the game to its 1.0 state.

No doubt though, that features will be missing, but given the projects scale, that should come to no suprise. Pledging will end when 1.0 releases. After that there will be ofcourse buy2play, optional "non power buying" subscriptions (early access to further test realms, developement content etc) and a cash shop for merchandise/peripherals. Like EVE/GW the only thing you can buy which effects gamepay is ingame currency (to help fund the game after launch) to speed up the process... you won't be able to buy ships or any unique power items though.

And ofcourse, future Squadron 42/ Single player campaigns will be created and purchasable as DLC - They stated they will never charge for future content for the MMO side of it however - I don't know wether I believe that or not.... but eh.... I would pay for expansions.... and im sure the majority would.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#48  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If you so much as scratch the paint on my fully insured Origin M50 I dun care about surveillance or security I will ram the thing straight into your fuel compartment :D

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MirkoS77

@hofuldig said:
@MirkoS77 said:

You are forgetting one very important thing. THIS GAME HAS ONLY BEEN IN DEVELOPEMENT FOR LESS THAN 3 years!! most games take 4 or even more years to create.

you people annoy me OHH i was going to buy this new piece of hardware but i saw a new video from a game that wont launch for another 2 years so i decided to wait.

Not to mention there is a great chance that they will be implementing Direct X 12 and while current hardware will be able to implement it a fully complaint Direct X 12 card would be best.

(also screw windows 10 i am sticking with windows 7 forever.)

Okkaaaay....and your point is?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MirkoS77

@MBirdy88 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

The full launch does have a set deadline - end of 2016 - which is 4 years of development. Worry not, lots of the pledge goals have been confirmed not to be on release (e.g extras like pets etc).

End of 2015 - EVERY module will be out in its first iteration - so the first 17 missions of the Single Player campaign, and the first iteration of the Persistent Universe MMO (only 5 systems to start). The entirity of 2016 is spent building the rest of the universe, polishing/balancing etc .... the main big year where the core features are in place and its go time to mass produce the game to its 1.0 state.

No doubt though, that features will be missing, but given the projects scale, that should come to no suprise. Pledging will end when 1.0 releases. After that there will be ofcourse buy2play, optional "non power buying" subscriptions (early access to further test realms, developement content etc) and a cash shop for merchandise/peripherals. Like EVE/GW the only thing you can buy which effects gamepay is ingame currency (to help fund the game after launch) to speed up the process... you won't be able to buy ships or any unique power items though.

And ofcourse, future Squadron 42/ Single player campaigns will be created and purchasable as DLC - They stated they will never charge for future content for the MMO side of it however - I don't know wether I believe that or not.... but eh.... I would pay for expansions.... and im sure the majority would.

Ah. That makes more sense then, thanks.