Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Amazon has one of the most advance web services besides google

Beginning with Alpha 2.6, Star Citizen is running on Amazon Lumberyard. Amazon Lumberyard is a game engine developed by Amazon and integrated with Amazon Web Services and Twitch. For a title beleaguered with criticism about content delays, the decision to switch engines may seem like a terrible move, and it probably would be. However, Star Citizen hasn’t technically switched engines, they’ve just switched to a different branch of CryEngine 3.8.

Before Alpha 2.6 Star Citizen ran on an in-house modified version of CryEngine 3.8 dubbed “Star Engine.

Amazon Lumberyard also happens to run on a branch of CryEngine 3.8 but offers a whole host of benefits for a developer trying to run a persistent, huge online world like Cloud Imperium Games is. According to Erin Roberts, Head of Foundry 42, the transition to Amazon Lumberyard took very little work in this communication with wccftech:

Thanks for getting in touch. As you’ve (correctly) surmised, any suggestions that the engine switch would have a major impact on our development couldn’t be further from reality. Lumberyard is completely based on Cryengine, yet with a lot of improvements. As a consequence, we do not have to change the fundamental core engine at all which is why this change has had absolutely no effect on our development of Star Citizen.

The advantage of Lumberyard is that we get great ongoing support on the cloud / networking side from Amazon as well as great tools support while continuing uninterrupted development on what we have built up over the last 4 years. As we’ve tried to explain many times before, we have pretty much rewritten 50% of what we licensed 4 years ago now, even in core systems from Cryengine. What is great is that everything we have reworked, also now seamlessly integrates into Lumberyard, and the engine switch has not required any extra engineering time. We are actually very lucky that this opportunity presented itself to work with a powerful and committed company like Amazon that is investing heavily in its tech. This collaboration will effectively allow us to do more for our community going forward without costing us really anything in terms of engineering time or otherwise, so it is a win-win situation and good news all around."

I’m all for criticism where criticism is due, but the facts seem to spell out that Cloud Imperium Games more than likely accelerated the development of Star Citizen by porting it to Amazon Lumberyard instead of hampering it. With AWS scalable cloud servers, and the partnership with a huge name in networking, Star Citizen’s network infrastructure just got a lot better.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/98313/star-citizen-didnt-technically-switch-game-engines

inb4

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Hi, this is system wars. I'm not sure at all where you thought you were? Good luck with that shit you were bleating about anyway, I suppose?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

So your saying they made the Switch huhh? Joy Con Boyz!

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

Your picture should have been a man child because I'm pretty sure they are dominant here

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

For god sakes ppl its just cry engine Amazon and CIG were using practically the same 3.8 build. This is not from Unity to Unreal Engine 4.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3017 Posts

I don't know what all this means. I just know I love smoking a J and coasting in space. Star Citizen is awesome

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

This is good news result. The network side of sc could sometimes be its weakest. Hopefully this will improve that in the long run.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

From what I gather... it was a smooth transition and the game will be better as a result. I am not sure why there has been so much controversy over the new deal with Amazon.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Good luck with this game, you're going to need it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Why does this deserve a new thread ffs?

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

tired of Click bait article for SC when a simple google search will say lumberyard is based on cry engine

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#13 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@godspellwh: This all seems to propagandistic - sneak the bad news out as repackaged good news.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@so_hai said:

@godspellwh: This all seems to propagandistic - sneak the bad news out as repackaged good news.

How is it bad news? Lumberyard IS CryEngine. Even the very same variant they were already using, just with some added social features.

Hell, for the Alpha, you could even copy over the game files from the "old engine PTU version" to the new Lumberyard one to reduce the download size from 30GB to like less than 5GB.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@so_hai said:

Makes me wonder why ppl try to make the most simplest of things and try to make it into something bad. They only added the amazon back end stuff to their current engine nothning else was changed.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By so_hai

@DarthRamms said:
@so_hai said:

Makes me wonder why ppl try to make the most simplest of things and try to make it into something bad. They only added the amazon back end stuff to their current engine nothning else was changed.

Then why the announcement? They don't announce other trivial technical changes.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@so_hai: Yeah they do.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Most of the SC haters don't even know what they are talking about.

A thing like this which is actually a very positive development for all parties, particularly for the development of the game was misinterpreted by them as something negative is proof of this lol.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 so_hai

@parkurtommo said:

@so_hai: Yeah they do.

Then that explains the delays.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@so_hai said:
@DarthRamms said:
@so_hai said:

Then why the announcement? They don't announce other trivial technical changes.

Because crytek are about to tank and people were starting to ask questions about how it affects star citizen.