Star Citizen and Civilization: Beyond Earth coming to Linux

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Source #1

Source #2

Star Citizen, the most successful crowdfunded game to this day at 41 000 000$+ as well as sporter of the CryEngine, and Civilization: Beyond Earth, the successor to Civilization 5 which has managed to stay in Steam's top ten most played games list ever since it launched in 2010, have been confirmed for Linux. Splendid.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52418 Posts

This will please @CrownKingArthur greatly.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Okay, let me know when the rest of my game library works, then I'll care

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

It was announced in the star citizen thread I made

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexagon_777
@lostrib said:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll specifically put you on the list of people I shall update on this! Consider it a special service as I care very much about you folks. I really do!

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hexagon_777
@TheFadeForever said:

It was announced in the star citizen thread I made

Nothing in the first post or even the first page about SteamOS or Linux as a whole. Easy to miss, dude. :-P

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@lostrib said:

This.... nobody cares. going linux for gaming is like upgrading your console... you get shafted in more ways than one in the backwards compatibility department.

why would I want to split my gaming library over an OS that does nothing beneficial to the average user or even most advanced users that are not TRY HARDS.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hexagon_777
@MBirdy88 said:

@lostrib said:

This.... nobody cares. going linux for gaming is like upgrading your console... you get shafted in more ways than one in the backwards compatibility department.

why would I want to split my gaming library over an OS that does nothing beneficial to the average user or even most advanced users that are not TRY HARDS.

You honesty cannot connect the dots? Thought we were smarter here in System Wars but I guess I am myself a fool for believing such a fallacy. This push is happening thanks to Valve. Valve is also pushing Steam Machines. Steam Machines are for the living room. Like consoles. Valve wants a piece of the console pie in the short term. In the long term, you have a competing operating system for the PC. It's really that simple. I won't even bother responding to the latter paragraph considering that I had to explain the first bit. One more thing, though: When the developers and the publishers care, lowly System Wars plebs better start paying attention too. This whole "nobody cares lol" mantra is too asinine to continue.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61411 Posts

Good news for Linux gamers.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

yes

last night i was watching that video kalipekopa posted of the pc gaming panel from pax east. i heard chris roberts say he was supporting linux then, which is great.

@MBirdy88 said:

@lostrib said:

why does someone get shafted in the backwards compatibility department? considering that they could spend that ~$100 on Windows they've not yet spent on Windows to get Windows ... and thus lose nothing?

steamos with ~$100 in the back pocket = windows without ~$100 in the back pocket

how is the library split? if they launch through steam one purchase would give access to both versions? in the case of steam the library is unified.

nothing beneficial? sir there's money to be saved.

try hards? and how is this attitude helpful? if the linux supporters are try hards, are the microsoft supporters corporate shills?

unfortunately sir there is nothing to do but tell you that this is beneficial for all including yourself, even if you don't understand why.

how can it be bad that a free gaming-centric operating system will receive support from a couple of huge releases? why would you be against a free and open source operating system?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@freedomfreak said:

yes

last night i was watching that video kalipekopa posted of the pc gaming panel from pax east. i heard chris roberts say he was supporting linux then, which is great.

@MBirdy88 said:

@lostrib said:

why does someone get shafted in the backwards compatibility department? considering that they could spend that ~$100 on Windows they've not yet spent on Windows to get Windows ... and thus lose nothing?

steamos with ~$100 in the back pocket = windows without ~$100 in the back pocket

how is the library split? if they launch through steam one purchase would give access to both versions? in the case of steam the library is unified.

try hards? and how is this attitude helpful? if the linux supporters are try hards, are the microsoft supporters corporate shills?

unfortunately sir there is nothing to do but tell you that this is beneficial for all including yourself, even if you don't understand why.

how can it be bad that a free gaming-centric operating system will receive support from a couple of huge releases? why would you be against a free and open source operating system?

I think it's more the point that if you are already using windows, there's really no reason at all to throw it out and go pure linux, unless you are the embodiment of a hipster who only uses things to be different, or you need linux for something else. For a pc gamer, if you're going to use linux, chances are you'll want windows dualbooted too. Linux support is great and growing, but we have a long ass wait until there's a good reason to throw out windows entirely and go strict linux.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@freedomfreak said:

yes

@MBirdy88 said:

@lostrib said:

Oh the mac arguement? "I can bootcamp windows" ..... then why use mac?

Oh and... steam machines won't take off, your all living in a pipe dream, it has no unique purpose... its not cheap... its just this weird pointless media centre pc.

I use a PC for more than "gaming centric" ... windows does it all best, tahts the reality, it may have its hiccups... but they are far and few between. so no, I won't take an inferior OS just because its free.

Note, I see the importance of linux in certain scenarios.... but as a home computer.... expecitng to yuse most pc software and for gaming. NO ITS AS STUPID AS MAC. you can try and spin it any other way, your just lying to yourselves.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur
@wis3boi said:

I think it's more the point that if you are already using windows, there's really no reason at all to throw it out and go pure linux, unless you are the embodiment of a hipster who only uses things to be different, or you need linux for something else. For a pc gamer, if you're going to use linux, chances are you'll want windows dualbooted too. Linux support is great and growing, but we have a long ass wait until there's a good reason to throw out windows entirely and go strict linux.

yes that's right.

at the moment - windows is superior for gaming. no bones about it.

however, my oem copy of windows is non-transferable. eventually i'll get a new motherboard, and when I do - its great that i can get going on the cheap with linux, and still have access to games like this, project cars - etc.

personally, for that situation i wouldn't consider dual booting. assuming i didn't own windows i'd run the linux os alone, and if i did pay for windows - i'd run windows alone. (talking about one machine of course)

but basically my take home message is - linux support can only be good for gamers

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

That's pretty cool. People need to remember that Valve is in it for the long run. Don't expect to see everything pop up on Linux overnight.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrownKingArthur
@MBirdy88 said:

Oh the mac arguement? "I can bootcamp windows" ..... then why use mac?

Oh and... steam machines won't take off, your all living in a pipe dream, it has no unique purpose... its not cheap... its just this weird pointless media centre pc.

I use a PC for more than "gaming centric" ... windows does it all best, tahts the reality, it may have its hiccups... but they are far and few between. so no, I won't take an inferior OS just because its free.

Note, I see the importance of linux in certain scenarios.... but as a home computer.... expecitng to yuse most pc software and for gaming. NO ITS AS STUPID AS MAC. you can try and spin it any other way, your just lying to yourselves.

i never said anything about dual boot. (in another response you'll see i suggest i wouldn't engage in this practice myself)

i never said anything about steam machines.

i never expressed any expectation about expecting to use most pc software on linux

ignoring it's cost, windows is excellent. paying for what you want - that's good you have a choice, eh?

it is not as stupid as mac.

apple mac you're paying for a brand name, for an anodized aluminium finish, for the operating system, for hardware that mightn't be as appropriate for gaming as a custom build, for all kinds of shit you might not necessarily want or need.

PC eg windows or linux the hardware should be the same. yes? so the hardware cost is a moot point? yes.

therefore what's the difference? well like i was saying before you can install linux and keep ~$100, or you can install windows and lose ~$100. you can choose if you want to make this compromise. you could even choose when you want to make this compromise.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If this trend continues I will definitely install Linux/SteamOS for gaming alongside the Windows I get with every PC.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

thats great. Hopefully a few more games will come to Linux as well and i will dual boot again. The less we depend on 1 company alone the better. Now i hope witcher 3 to be added on that

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Crytek has an OpenGL renderer now for the CryEngine 3. Once the CryEngine 3 gets ported over to Mac OSX I'm sure Star Citizen will support Macs too.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12180 Posts
@adamosmaki said:

thats great. Hopefully a few more games will come to Linux as well and i will dual boot again. The less we depend on 1 company alone the better. Now i hope witcher 3 to be added on that

We got a MS hater here, MS hater...... See nobody cares.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@adamosmaki said:

Take a chill pill. Nobody is a MS hater. In fact i found Win7 ome of the best thinks happened to pc space and considering i'm a pc gamer that is been using windows since 1992 with the occasional linux dual boot i'm far from a MS hater. I'm just glad Linux is getting more support and competition is always great

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12180 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

@xhawk27 said:
@adamosmaki said:

Take a chill pill. Nobody is a MS hater. In fact i found Win7 ome of the best thinks happened to pc space and considering i'm a pc gamer that is been using windows since 1992 with the occasional linux dual boot i'm far from a MS hater. I'm just glad Linux is getting more support and competition is always great

Nah I was only joking around. If you like linux that's cool but it's never going to be a mainstream OS like Windows or Mac.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9378 Posts

Cool. Linux is great. OpenGL is a baller API.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Great News .

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexagon_777
@Wasdie said:

Crytek has an OpenGL renderer now for the CryEngine 3. Once the CryEngine 3 gets ported over to Mac OSX I'm sure Star Citizen will support Macs too.

That is very unlikely to happen. As far as I am aware, Apple is far behind Linux when it comes to OpenGL support. Just look at Metro: Last Light for Mac OS. It doesn't even use OpenGL 4.4 because Mac OS doesn't support it. That, plus Roberts sees Apple as the antithesis to what PCs and PC gaming are all about, which they really are, honestly. What's more, when asked in their weekly developer video about Mac OS support, Eric Peterson and another developer basically laughed and said that PCs running Mac OS need better video cards first. This explains why Crytek went straight for Linux support and skipped Mac OS altogether.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

Can't wait for the day I can go straight Gentoo. I use it now for most everything that isn't games, and going back to Windoze always feels so slow and bloated by comparison.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777
@xhawk27 said:

@adamosmaki said:

@xhawk27 said:
@adamosmaki said:

Nah I was only joking around. If you like linux that's cool but it's never going to be a mainstream OS like Windows or Mac.

To be fair, Linux is already dangerously close to Mac OS in terms of game sales, despite having far less market share. Never say never.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hexagon_777
@br0kenrabbit said:

Can't wait for the day I can go straight Gentoo. I use it now for most everything that isn't games, and going back to Windoze always feels so slow and bloated by comparison.

Hot damn, and I already consider Arch to be too hardcore for me. Didn't expect to find a Gentoo user in System Wars.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Hot damn, and I already consider Arch to be too hardcore for me. Didn't expect to find a Gentoo user in System Wars.

I was using BSD before I ever tried Linux, so Gentoo was the obvious choice of distro. I'm really looking forward to the Gentoo/FreeBSD project getting further along.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Good, Linux needs more love. One thing holding me back from using Linux as a desktop OS is the horrific game support. In every other area Linux dominates.

I do use Linux as a file server and for automating downloading of things and running custom firewall scripts, sharing a net connection and running web servers,all things that is either incredibly difficult for Windows to do, or it just plains sucks at and not to mention potentially costs money.

I have a feeling Linux could be a good thing for gaming and computing in general, I'm sure if done right it can be much more efficient than Windows, we shall see if this goes anywhere.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Well, it´s official then. Linux >>> Mac OS. Also it will be a good boost for Steambox.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Steam OS

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hexagon_777
@jhonMalcovich said:

Well, it´s official then. Linux >>> Mac OS. Also it will be a good boost for Steambox.

Shhh, don't let musicalmac know. He feels awfully threatened by all of this. One thing I haven't mentioned is that Star Citizen isn't even the first game to skip Mac OS support, instead going straight for Linux. Natural Selection 2 and Painkiller Hell and Damnation come to mind. Metro: Last Light should have been one as well but the developers dumbed down the graphics so Mac OS could run it too, and that's the version Linux got, unfortunately.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@freedomfreak said:

yes

Hee also said Windows will remain the dominant OS on PC though.

Still good news for people who use Linux

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's nice to see Linux get developer support. But, unless other publishers (Ubisoft, EA, with Uplay and Origin) hop onboard like Steam, I can't see myself switching at all. It's hard enough having multiple DRM schemes. I only tolerate them because I don't have any problem with them at the moment. But. fragmenting that further with multiple DRM schemes among multiple OSes is a bit too much for me. I'll stick with whatever OS has the most support.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@Hexagon_777 said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

Shhh, don't let musicalmac know. He feels awfully threatened by all of this. One thing I haven't mentioned is that Star Citizen isn't even the first game to skip Mac OS support, instead going straight for Linux. Natural Selection 2 and Painkiller Hell and Damnation come to mind. Metro: Last Light should have been one as well but the developers dumbed down the graphics so Mac OS could run it too, and that's the version Linux got, unfortunately.

There's always been a number of PC games that never makes it to the Mac. But, one thing the Mac has is a dedicated core of developers (outside of Steam) who either port PC games over or occasionally have an original Mac game of their own. They've been around long before Steam became a factor on the Mac.

It'll be a while before Linux game support outpaces Mac game support.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

lol linux

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@lostrib said:

At least have linux installed to show some support now ;_;

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#40 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

I'm flattered that you thought of me. But the last word I'd use is "threatened." I think it's more reasonable to use the word "confused."

I'm not sure why any developer would support Linux unless prompted to do so by another source (such as Valve for the Steam box). It just doesn't make sense to support Linux outside of that. Tails is the only distro I use, anyways, and Puppy Dog before that. There's no reason to play around with Linux unless you're a nerd (guilty) or work in a server room.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

cool now if only ubuntu could get drivers that actually work.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hexagon_777
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Hexagon_777 said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

There's always been a number of PC games that never makes it to the Mac. But, one thing the Mac has is a dedicated core of developers (outside of Steam) who either port PC games over or occasionally have an original Mac game of their own. They've been around long before Steam became a factor on the Mac.

That's the thing, though. Once you develop for Mac OS via OpenGL, it's not that much further of a step to develop for Linux as well. Aspyr has been confirmed to be working on Linux ports, and Feral is allegedly doing some Linux work as well.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Hexagon_777 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Hexagon_777 said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

That's the thing, though. Once you develop for Mac OS via OpenGL, it's not that much further of a step to develop for Linux as well. Aspyr has been confirmed to be working on Linux ports, and Feral is allegedly doing some Linux work as well.

I had that thought like a decade ago and they're just now deciding to support Linux? I think they took their time long enough. He He. About time. I was much bigger on Linux then (pre-Win 7).

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hexagon_777
@musicalmac said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

I'm flattered that you thought of me. But the last word I'd use is "threatened." I think it's more reasonable to use the word "confused."

I'm not sure why any developer would support Linux unless prompted to do so by another source (such as Valve for the Steam box). It just doesn't make sense to support Linux outside of that. Tails is the only distro I use, anyways, and Puppy Dog before that. There's no reason to play around with Linux unless you're a nerd (guilty) or work in a server room.

I always think of you when it comes to Mac OS. <3

That same argument could easily be made for Mac OS, however. Then again, developers have confirmed that getting those extra few % in terms of sales by supporting Linux far outweighs the cost of supporting Linux, and these Linux sales get damn close to Mac OS sales, in some few cases even surpassing them, thus Linux support is fully justified straight from the developers' mouths. No need to blindly follow Valve when money is to be made! Humble did it before Valve, and GOG isn't associated with Steam in any manner, for instance.