Square Enix handle their fans very, very wrong

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Square Enix apparantly, doesn't like that fans are working on a translation of Final Fantasy Type-0. What they hell are they doing? It's freaking stupid to sue someone who's actually doing something for free. I hope they change their minds and stop this.

Link

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Fan translations get stopped all the time. SE is so dumb though that they waited 1 month after it released to ask for a cease and desist. That patched iSO is just floating in the wild for anyone who wants it at this point so it's of no consequence.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

They're probably thinking people wouldn't buy the PS4 port if they play the translation beforehand.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

@commonfate said:

They're probably thinking people wouldn't buy the PS4 port if they play the translation beforehand.

It's stupid imho

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

Well it is their property....

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44547 Posts

If people play this by an altered an pirated ISO file then yeah that probably does deserve some condemnation. Something similar happened with Fatal Frame IV on the Wii, but it required the Japanese Wii version of Fatal Frame IV to work, and Homebrew and patches and such but at least the game was purchased in order to play. Anyhow, if they've no desire to localize it to foreign markets then I don't see why they even care. I also don't see why people should care if instead of a pirated ISO file it's a patch that allows the UMD version to play on the PSP. After all for that too one would need to buy the game so it's not like it is promoting piracy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@commonfate said:

It's stupid imho

well no, its actually quite logical.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

This makes sense, as they are doing a western release of the game. Still, a little late to the party SE.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride

@lundy86_4 said:

This makes sense, as they are doing a western release of the game. Still, a little late to the party SE.

Yup, kinda of late imho

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Anyhow, if they've no desire to localize it to foreign markets then I don't see why they even care.

A PS4/XBONE remaster is coming actually, which explains the threat of legal action.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
@commonfate said:

@lamprey263 said:

Anyhow, if they've no desire to localize it to foreign markets then I don't see why they even care.

A PS4/XBONE remaster is coming actually, which explains the threat of legal action.

exactly, not sure why this is even a topic. it doens't matter when they action it, they hold no responsibility to this "fan" .... and he is infringing upon their work when they seek to profit off a localisation, they are well within their rights and owe him or us nothing in this regard.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

A simple, "hey we're localizing the game now, can you take down your translation" email goes a long way when you're treating a loyal fan. Lawyers and threats are saying that you're looking for a fight, and are insulting to the person who put in the work to make this. Square Enix has been acting so freaking stupid these past years, and this guy and his team did the work that Square wouldn't.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

This isn't the first nor the last fan translated project that has been stopped, this isn't something new or shocking.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

It's pretty stupid but like others have said, it happens all the time. Luckily the translation like 99% percent complete and the full release has been out for nearly a month.

I downloaded the patch so I could finally play it and the HD release was announced like a week later. It's because of that patch that I've been able to enjoy it as much as I have and essentially secured my sale of the HD version. Funny how that works.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Of course Square Enix treats their fans poorly. They released three FFXIII games.

But in this case it's justified. It's their IP and they have control over it.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bbkkristian

Someone in the comments says that Sky got something worse than a C&D. This seems to be worse than it really seems....

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Square Enix handles everything very, very wrong.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ActicEdge
@bbkkristian said:

Someone in the comments says that Sky got something worse than a C&D. This seems to be worse than it really seems....

He doesn't have any assets or ability to pay damages. Going after him is a huge waste of time tbh. C&D is all that's necessary. They are probably just pissed that people played it, realized it's shit and now the word of mouth is bad.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bbkkristian

@ActicEdge: I'm worried that the modder/translator is being sued or Square is seizing his translation. Either way, none of this s*** would have happened if FREAKING SQUARE LOCALIZED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Gawd, I don't think any company has succeeded in aggravating me more than square.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActicEdge

@bbkkristian said:

@ActicEdge: I'm worried that the modder/translator is being sued or Square is seizing his translation. Either way, none of this s*** would have happened if FREAKING SQUARE LOCALIZED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Gawd, I don't think any company has succeeded in aggravating me more than square.

That can't seize the translation. The game is their property, the work of the redone translation isn't. No lawyer will lose that case and they are dumb if they try to seize it. IP and game infringement is one thing but you can't seize the work of someone else for monetary purposes just because it's using your property. You can ask for it to be destroyed and you can be sued for damages but they can't seize your work. SE suing him is a waste, he has no money and no assets that would make litigation work it. How much do they think they are gonna get from him? 200k? 1 million? Is that worth it? Not really. He'll be fine.

Also, SE doesn't have to localize their game if they don't want to. You're not entitled to anything, I'd lose that idea. They are a business, they are about making money, not pleasing people at no benefit to themselves at all.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Last_Ride

@bbkkristian said:

A simple, "hey we're localizing the game now, can you take down your translation" email goes a long way when you're treating a loyal fan. Lawyers and threats are saying that you're looking for a fight, and are insulting to the person who put in the work to make this. Square Enix has been acting so freaking stupid these past years, and this guy and his team did the work that Square wouldn't.

Yeah, pretty much this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

It's not really fair to blame the entire entity of Square Enix. It's probably just a few greedy heads at the top,

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bbkkristian

@ActicEdge: it's more complex than entitlism. It's hard to call myself one now, but I am a fan of Square Enix. They consistently gave us fans what we wanted until their recent affair with mobile games. Type 0 was asked for from fans for years. Those asks became demands and they continued to ignore the same consumers who have been giving them money. Fans needed to start asking for more games, like Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep on PSN for our beloved Playstation Vitas. They gave an excuses for both, being licensing, and did nothing else. It's a punch in the face when Japan gets everything we want. We want to give Square Enix money for these products, but they won't let us. Instead they don't find solutions to our requests and continue to give us crap like All the Bravest.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@uninspiredcup said:

It's not really fair to blame the entire entity of Square Enix. It's probably just a few greedy heads at the top,

They still represent the company, and they released Lightning Returns

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

This is nothing new and it makes sense for SE to stop this since they wanna make money.This type of stuff happens all the time.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22631 Posts

I just want them to stop making bad final fantasy games...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@uninspiredcup said:

They still represent the company, and they released Lightning Returns

I was deeply moved by this man. Even though he's a sad **** 40 year old dressing like a 20 year old animoo character , his passion and conviction was clear to see, both in this video and within the game itself. In an industry full of highly rehearsed robot men feeding shit to silly billy console users, such a display is rare and welcome.

Loading Video...

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ActicEdge

@bbkkristian said:

@ActicEdge: it's more complex than entitlism. It's hard to call myself one now, but I am a fan of Square Enix. They consistently gave us fans what we wanted until their recent affair with mobile games. Type 0 was asked for from fans for years. Those asks became demands and they continued to ignore the same consumers who have been giving them money. Fans needed to start asking for more games, like Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep on PSN for our beloved Playstation Vitas. They gave an excuses for both, being licensing, and did nothing else. It's a punch in the face when Japan gets everything we want. We want to give Square Enix money for these products, but they won't let us. Instead they don't find solutions to our requests and continue to give us crap like All the Bravest.

It really doesn't matter whether you are a fan or you feel like they treat you like second hand citizens. You're not entitled to their product if they don't wanna give it to you. That's not how being a consumer works, you get what they wanna sell you. The power you have as a consumer is to complain and not support them. You wonder why SE has been selling shit all of their Japanese products in the West? It's because they treat their Western fans like shit and they refuse to support half hearted efforts. That's all you can do. All this asking and not receiving bitterness is misplaced. They don't owe you shit so redirect your anger into hitting them where it hurts, their bank accounts. There are 100s of great games on the market, go play those instead of asking SE to waste their time putting old PSP games on a failed handheld like the Vita and then getting angry when they don't.

Know what I do when I don't support a company? I buy their games used and use message boards and official venues to complain. Then I play video games and enjoy my life. Where ever the dice falls after that is not my problem.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

@uninspiredcup: yeah i ,have seen it. There are good guys everywhere, doesn't excuse the bad shit people do though unfortunately

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bbkkristian

@ActicEdge: you are right, and that's what I'm doing. I'm not buying their crap until they actually get their heads on straight. Since of Square Enix's failure to provide, I've become a dedicated fan of Atlus (who no doubt treats their American fanbase significantly better), Fan of the Tales of series, and a fan of their previous team of Monolith Soft. I guess I have them to thank for that. :)

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Eh they can do it, but lol at them doing it after a month it came out. Pretty much pointless now.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I just want them to stop making bad final fantasy games...

well that will only stop when you actually like one of them. Heck iv seen some people say they havent made a good FF games since 6.Me personally the most recent FF that gave gave me a meh feeling was x.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#35  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

These fans shouldnt have gone all out promoting the translation before it was even finished in the first place.

This has happened so many times already. It's amazing how people never learn from past and similar projects.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Making your fans wait over 10 years for a game that was announced 11 years ago is treating your fans like utter crap.

FF15 won't be out until 2016-17 and it will sadly flop due to unrealistic expectations.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Dont buy their games. Saying that I own XiV and Deeus Ex bfut will never purchase a main FF again.

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39  Edited By DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

Square Enix handles everything very, very wrong.

Eh' they're 50-50 in my book. Certainly no where near as bad as EA, though at times they seem to be shooting for EA's title as Worst ComPAny EVaR!!11!

Ironically though I've feel like virtually every time Square Enix has screwed up over the past couple years it's almost always been a problem with their Japanese offices, weather it be their corporate HQ or their Japanese based studios. After all Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex HR, Hitman Absolution, all solid games made by Western developers.

Meanwhile SE Japan has spent most of its time these past couple years trying to salvage the cancer known as the Final Fantasy XIII series with a seemingly endless parade of sequels. This on top of a second Final Fantasy MMO that no one asked for with FFXIV and an FFX remake that couldn't possibly offer Japanese audio with English Subs even though an Undubbed version of FFX had been available for emulators since 2010. By the way why is virtually every Japanese SE game tied to Final Fantasy?

If you had told me in the late 90's that Western studios would be comfortably ahead of their Japanese counterparts I would have thought you were nuts.

As for the lawsuit, it really is BS. These companies basically sit on these IP's for years doing virtually nothing, then when fans decide to make a non-profit remake of their favorite childhood game the lawyers start running around sending cease and desist letters.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Square has sucked for years

The went from making the greatest RPG's to ever exist (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (or VI...whatever), Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Breath of Fire, etc) to completely ramming the FF series into the ground and making a bunch of half assed shit.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

these guys are so far behind the times they think the internet is something you use to catch fish.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Every other company would have done the same

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Every other company would have done the same

Valve, says hai.

Half-Life modders gain Valve’s approval, will launch new ‘Sven Co-op’ on Steam

Having developed Sven Co-op for the better part of two decades, the team behind theHalf-Life mod has finally been given the keys to Valve Corporation’s candy store. The company has granted the modding group access to the original game’s engine in order to produce a custom edition that’s designed to support co-operative play. In return, the next Sven Co-op, in which players have to work together to survive and solve puzzles in various time periods, will be made available through Steam as a free-to-play title. All we ask is that Daniel “Sven” Fearon uses his new-found access to hunt around for any filesentitled Episode Three, and keep all of our flickering hopes alive.

Perhaps they're too busy counting their money to bother with frivolous lawsuits? It's funny how so many corporate types, especially in the video game industry, preach about thinking outside the box, but at the end of the day few of them actually walk the walk. After which they wonder why their company isn't making as much money as the company that doesn't seem to care about profit.

Sadly until someone can put a 'solid' number on the value that comes with putting your customers before profit, executives will always go for the short cuts with 'solid projections'

Number Pusher: If we lock this feature that's already on the disc and sell it as DLC we'll bring in 5% more revenue.

Competent Employee: um yeah but once word gets out that we have on disc DLC its likely more than 5% of our customers will boycott our product. Not to mention they could easily end up boycotting the next product that we sell down the line simply out of spite. At the end of the day all we're doing is giving potential customers reasons not to buy our products in order to sell useless trinkets for $1.99 a pop.

Executive: Maybe, but you don't have a pretty spreadsheet like NP. On disc DLC it is!

*Facepalm*

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I don't get it. How come it took that long to localise Type-0?