Splatoon, interesting and innovative shooter of this gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59240 Posts

Would this be an accurate and truthful proclamation?

What other shooters exist to compete?

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

De blob with guns. nothing to see here.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I take Destiny, Battlefield, CoD over Splatton every day. Innovative is not equal to good/fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

@a-new-guardian said:

De blob with guns

But that's innovative.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25009 Posts

Shadow warrior 2

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I'm loving Splatoon, I don't think it is going to become the big thing everyone tries to imitate; but is unique and very fun.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

None, it's an over-crowded genre, with lots of clones and publishers fighting over the CoD pie. It's a genre, that has been stifled ever since CoD MW came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Splatoon is great. Between it and Titanfall, I'm set on shooters for awhile. (And I have BF Hardline, Destiny, COD AW)

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

I enjoy splatoon, its easily my favorite game so far this year. but I think it's held back by Nintendos backwards thinking. Now with tower capture in the game, you are restricted to only 1 ranked game mode type now every 4 hours. So of you want to splat zones you are screwed for 4 hours.

I really hope this gets changed because this will only get worse once they add rainmaker.

In every space where splatoon moves the genre forward, it holds itself back when it comes to features and convenience of play.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I'd say yes. It turns the genre on its head in a very foundational level. Not just the weapons and combat, but the way you move in the world is really unique. It leads towards really interesting ways to play the game. Far moreso than traditional shooters. It really stands out on its own as a great game. But like all games that start from a new IP, it needs to be refined in upcoming sequels. And when it does, it will perfect the concept.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

next halo obv

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

This generation (as in gen 8 stuff) of shooters: Sure it's the only thing unique. It's a shame Nintendo decided they wanted to release it early access style.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

This generation (as in gen 8 stuff) of shooters: Sure it's the only thing unique. It's a shame Nintendo decided they wanted to release it early access style.

Yeah. That's why I'm not touching it. The amount of content/online capabilities & features don't warrant the full $60 price tag when compared to all the other shooters on the market right now.

Maybe down the road I'll pick it up when it's complete, but with NX around the corner idk.... What if Nintendo shuts down Wii-U online games like they did with the Wii? Not gonna take that risk with their new console right around the corner.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@kenakuma said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah. That's why I'm not touching it. The amount of content/online capabilities & features don't warrant the full $60 price tag when compared to all the other shooters on the market right now.

Maybe down the road I'll pick it up when it's complete, but with NX around the corner idk.... What if Nintendo shuts down Wii-U online games like they did with the Wii? Not gonna take that risk with their new console right around the corner.

Wifi connection was killed because Gamespy which ran the online went down. There were multiple other games from all 3 console makers that had their online taken down because of this. If it was still up I wouldn't doubt if Wii and DS still had their online in games.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Shadow warrior 2

Yup. Though, there was SW1.

Still, in comparison to all these other games, SW's speed, verticality and combination of guns and balded weapons is amazing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jg4xchamp

@deadline-zero0 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Shadow warrior 2

Still, in comparison to all these other games, SW's speed, verticality and combination of guns and balded weapons is amazing.

Except there is nothing actually unique or innovative about it, melee centric shooters have existed before. To something as primitive as what Butcher Bay did, to shit that was being done in third person like Oni and Enter The Matrix, to fucking multiplayer stuff like Unreal Championship 2 on the Xbox. Fucking Red Steel did this shit before Shadow Warrior reboot.

Fucking Shadow Warrior proper had melee centric weapons before Shadow Warrior reboot. Purely on uniqueness factor Splatoon wins this, nothing else is even trying to compete.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#17 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Shadow warrior 2

Old School meets new School in Shadow Warrior 2. We rarely see a right balance but FWH knows how to make a proper shooter in this day and age.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

Hexen was argubly first noticeable melee FPS games. Probably the first notable single player class based FPS as well, come to think of it.

Must play again at some point.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Wild_man_22 said:

I enjoy splatoon, its easily my favorite game so far this year. but I think it's held back by Nintendos backwards thinking. Now with tower capture in the game, you are restricted to only 1 ranked game mode type now every 4 hours. So of you want to splat zones you are screwed for 4 hours.

I really hope this gets changed because this will only get worse once they add rainmaker.

In every space where splatoon moves the genre forward, it holds itself back when it comes to features and convenience of play.

They didn't put it on the 4 hour thing did they? That sucks. As fun as Splatoon is, they have complete idiots developing and running it.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Wifi connection was killed because Gamespy which ran the online went down. There were multiple other games from all 3 console makers that had their online taken down because of this. If it was still up I wouldn't doubt if Wii and DS still had their online in games.

Any idea who's running the Wii-U and 3DS Nintendo online games now?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#21 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's one of the better the only Shooters on the WiiU now.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

For innovation and charm, Splatoon is king for sure.

I just wish it was on a more refined console and had more sensible design choices. A multiplayer game that refuses to let me play with my friends is a game I won't be playing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jg4xchamp

@locopatho said:

I just wish it was on a more refined console and had more sensible design choices. A multiplayer game that refuses to let me play with my friends is a game I won't be playing.

You can go 5, 6, 7 straight matches while being in the same game lobby as your friend, and not be on the same team.

And people on this forum will apologize for that shit.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Over COD? Any year?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@locopatho said:

You can go 5, 6, 7 straight matches while being in the same game lobby as your friend, and not be on the same team.

And people on this forum will apologize for that shit.

Of course they will, and act surprised when the game never gets 10% as popular as COD, Battlefield, Halo, Gears, Counterstrike, Team Fortress, etc.

Nintendo's crazy core of fans hold them back more than the majority gamers who ignore them, I think.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I would say that sure. Its literally the ONLY shooter in a while I've played so I wouldn't be a good metric though haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Splatoon is very innovative. I love the Gyro controls, they rival my mouse controls and i game on a Naga.