Spinoffs better than the main series?

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
nintendoboy16

37769

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 37769 Posts

Have you ever found many, if any spinoffs that SOMEHOW turn out better than the mainline games?

For me, even though I still haven't beat it, I've been far more compelled to beat Darksiders Genesis (Switch). I don't know, something about it seems more fitting as a Diablo clone than a mish-mash of Zelda/God of War/DMC etc. Not saying Darksiders is bad as that, but something about Genesis makes it feel more natural.

But for what I have beat, yeah it's Fallout: New Vegas.

Not including the fact that it's my first ever Fallout and finding out it's done by some of the original FO devs and not Todd Howard (though I don't hate his takes on Fallout either), but something about New Vegas still stands out to me. When I played 3 later, I felt like there wasn't as much choice as there is in this one. Yeah, it's rough in the current official state (mods of course fix that), but with several more factions compared to the so few that 3 offered, the varied endings, plus a setting that resonates me as I came from a state one of the DLC is set in (first getting the game when I lived in England at the time). I still go back to this one (following Fallout 4) when I'm in the mood (I've played Fallout 3 the least).

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

42770

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42770 Posts

Unlike most FPS of N64, Doom 64 holds up.

It's level design is more consistent than Doom 2's which is all over the place and is generally speaking more of a sequel to Doom than Doom 3, leaning more heavily towards a horror themed tone while retaining (to a fault) the original games template.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

2126

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

Only fallout new Vegas. But it’s all up to opinion, I like the setting and story better.

Honestly, nothing on the N64 holds up, it’s all garbage.

Avatar image for adsparky
adsparky

1946

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#4 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Persona and some Senran Kagura games.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
Renegade_Fury

21084

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21084 Posts

Age of Mythology

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

44575

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44575 Posts

Metal Gear Rising comes to mind and very well enjoy that for a spin-off and the game has age well in my opinion if you play it on PC that is.

Avatar image for arkephonic
arkephonic

6914

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 6914 Posts

Even though it ended up as a series (due to its success), Forza Horizon series.

Avatar image for judaspete
judaspete

4183

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4183 Posts

I like Jak X more than Jak 2 and 3.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
Sevenizz

6425

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Rainbow Six 3 is much better than its earlier games. There wouldn’t be a Call of Duty multiplayer mode without it.

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

15831

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 15831 Posts

Battlefield Bad Company. Bad Company 2 in particular.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

13996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13996 Posts

Forza Horizon and Fallout New Vegas.

Avatar image for lebanese_boy
lebanese_boy

15740

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15740 Posts

I would probably say Metal Gear Rising out of love for that game but in no way is it better than the main series.

On top of my head I'd have to go with the Red Alert series (specifically Red Alert 2).

I don't know if Counter-Strike counts (originally a mod of Half-Life) but I'd say that one too.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

42770

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42770 Posts
This
This

Is much better than this
Is much better than this

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9513 Posts

Mario Galaxy series

Tekken Tag

Street Fighter Alpha/Street Fighter Versus SNK

Avatar image for judaspete
judaspete

4183

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#15 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4183 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p: I hadn't really thought about that, but yeah, Forza Horizon is technically a spinoff. Good one.

Avatar image for Yams1980
Yams1980

4102

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: -5

#16  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 4102 Posts

Not sure if C&C Generals is technically a spinoff, but I liked it more than most of the C&C games, other than the music which was forgettable at best and the original C&C games did music better for sure.

I think it could have been a pretty classic spinoff series if it had been developed further.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

26757

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 26757 Posts

Avatar image for rzxv04
rzxv04

2078

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#18 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2078 Posts

Does Dark Souls count (from Demons')? Probably doesn't.

DoTA? League?

WoW?

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
HalcyonScarlet

9119

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9119 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Unlike most FPS of N64, Doom 64 holds up.

It's level design is more consistent than Doom 2's which is all over the place and is generally speaking more of a sequel to Doom than Doom 3, leaning more heavily towards a horror themed tone while retaining (to a fault) the original games template.

It's on steam as well. I think quite a few N64 FPS games are still playable, Perfect Dark is still great for an older game, and the remaster on Xbox 360 is fantastic, I still play it. Spent hours on it the other day. Turok 1 and 2 is on Steam, hope they consider Turok 3 and the other one, Rage wars or something, can't remember.

Started playing the steam version of Doom 64 today. It's so good.

Is that your mint copy? Man, I think the N64 was one of my favourite systems ever. It was the peak of me being into Nintendo systems, to be honest, I think the Wii U is like a sequel to the N64. Terrible sales, but it potentially would have been just as good. It feels like a Nintendo return to core gaming. I have a huge GC and Wii collection, and honestly, the games on these two systems never felt like the core gaming from the NES, SNES, N64, Wii U and probably Switch (I don't own that). Maybe it's just me and I grew out of them.

Doom 3 should have been a survival horror spin off series imo. I started playing it and honestly, I think it was slightly better before the gun play starts. The atmosphere is fantastic. On a side note, I really think they should patch it with texture detail, it's all the game needs. Graphically it's not bad.

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

16505

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 16505 Posts

Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land

Forza Horizon

Final Fantasy Tactics

Tactics Ogre

Avatar image for pc_rocks
PC_Rocks

4719

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 4719 Posts

@davillain- said:

Metal Gear Rising comes to mind and very well enjoy that for a spin-off and the game has age well in my opinion if you play it on PC that is.

This. came in to say this.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

32852

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32852 Posts

Some that come to mind are:

- Mega Man X

- Forza Horizon

- Red Alert

- Dark Souls

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
robert_sparkes

4746

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#23 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 4746 Posts

Judgement over yakuza.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

15224

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 217

User Lists: 0

#24 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15224 Posts

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

Ninja Gaiden (Sega Master System)

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

Street Fighter Alpha 2 & 3

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Need for Speed: Underground 1 & 2

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Trails series

Persona 3-5

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

42770

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42770 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: Na man, too cheap for that shit, just some rando google image.

Can't say hate Doom 3, it has become the bastard stepchild and it has problems like hit-scan enemies and an over-reliance of jump scares, but honestly still rather play it than a lot of modern FPS, especially in VR, where it feels like a game made for it when it had no option to do so.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

6304

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#26 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6304 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

Judgement over yakuza.

Judgement is so good I really hope they make a sequel it's such a overlooked game.

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
madsnakehhh

16996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#27 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16996 Posts

@louixiii said:

Mario Galaxy series

Tekken Tag

Street Fighter Alpha/Street Fighter Versus SNK

Isn't Super Mario Galaxy part of the main Super Mario series??? i mean i don't consider it a different series since they only released the second game because they still had so many ideas left.

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#28 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9513 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:
@louixiii said:

Mario Galaxy series

Tekken Tag

Street Fighter Alpha/Street Fighter Versus SNK

Isn't Super Mario Galaxy part of the main Super Mario series??? i mean i don't consider it a different series since they only released the second game because they still had so many ideas left.

Technically it's a spin-off my friend. This is coming from a guy that owns damn near every Mario game. You could argue that SF:Alpha isn't a spin-off too but it is.

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
madsnakehhh

16996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#29 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16996 Posts

@louixiii said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@louixiii said:

Mario Galaxy series

Tekken Tag

Street Fighter Alpha/Street Fighter Versus SNK

Isn't Super Mario Galaxy part of the main Super Mario series??? i mean i don't consider it a different series since they only released the second game because they still had so many ideas left.

Technically it's a spin-off my friend. This is coming from a guy that owns damn near every Mario game. You could argue that SF:Alpha isn't a spin-off too but it is.

Same here, i do own most Super Mario games with the exception of the New Super Mario games which i consider the spinoff series. And i'm not entirely agree with you ... i do think Galaxy is main series, and it was the flagship Wii Super Mario title.

IMO SF Alpha is more like New Super Mario while Galaxy would be like Third Strike.

Avatar image for Ant_17
Ant_17

13619

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#30 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13619 Posts

Crash team racing.

Avatar image for locopatho
locopatho

24051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#31 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24051 Posts

@arkephonic said:

Even though it ended up as a series (due to its success), Forza Horizon series.

A thousand times yes. Microsoft's last remaining crown jewel.

Also: Portal. Is (or at least feels like) a Half Life spinoff.

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9513 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:
@louixiii said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@louixiii said:

Mario Galaxy series

Tekken Tag

Street Fighter Alpha/Street Fighter Versus SNK

Isn't Super Mario Galaxy part of the main Super Mario series??? i mean i don't consider it a different series since they only released the second game because they still had so many ideas left.

Technically it's a spin-off my friend. This is coming from a guy that owns damn near every Mario game. You could argue that SF:Alpha isn't a spin-off too but it is.

Same here, i do own most Super Mario games with the exception of the New Super Mario games which i consider the spinoff series. And i'm not entirely agree with you ... i do think Galaxy is main series, and it was the flagship Wii Super Mario title.

IMO SF Alpha is more like New Super Mario while Galaxy would be like Third Strike.

That's the beauty of free will...you can believe what you want. Super Mario Bros had a 1, 2, and 3. While Galaxy is a sequel, I didn't see a number connecting it to the originals so like Sunshine, it would be considered a spin-off but let's agree to disagree broski.

Avatar image for locopatho
locopatho

24051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#33 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24051 Posts

@louixiii: So the only main Mario games are 1, 2 and 3 from the 80's and everything in the subsequent 30 years has been spinoffs? Love it 🤩

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
HalcyonScarlet

9119

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#34 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9119 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Na man, too cheap for that shit, just some rando google image.

Can't say hate Doom 3, it has become the bastard stepchild and it has problems like hit-scan enemies and an over-reliance of jump scares, but honestly still rather play it than a lot of modern FPS, especially in VR, where it feels like a game made for it when it had no option to do so.

Doom 64 is really good still though. Because it looks like the older ones, I was put off playing it. But it's somehow really good after I fiddled with the sensitivity of the control sticks. Might go back to the old ones too now. Never thought I'd like these old school shooters again.

The levels are shorter than I thought they'd be. For some reason I remember the levels being long on these games.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

9949

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#35 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9949 Posts

FFTactics for me. Game personally still holds up very well and the story is still immensely enjoyable as well. Ivalice politics never gets old.

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9513 Posts
@locopatho said:

@louixiii: So the only main Mario games are 1, 2 and 3 from the 80's and everything in the subsequent 30 years has been spinoffs? Love it 🤩

Spin-off: produce something new based on a popular television program, movie, personality, etc.

Opinions don't change the facts...

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

15224

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 217

User Lists: 0

#37  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15224 Posts

What about best spin-offs from a spin-off? Spinoffception?

Best examples of spinoffception that come to mind:

Donkey Kong spin-offs:

  • Mario Bros -> Super Mario Bros -> Super Mario Land -> Super Mario World -> Super Mario -> Super Mario Kart -> Mario Kart
  • Mario Bros -> Super Mario Bros -> Super Mario Land -> Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 -> Wario Land -> Wario
  • Mario Bros -> Super Mario Bros -> Super Smash Bros

Dragon Slayer spin-offs:

  • Xanadu: Dragon Slayer II -> Xanadu -> Faxanadu
  • Xanadu: Dragon Slayer II -> Xanadu -> Tokyo Xanadu
  • Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes -> The Legend of Heroes -> The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -> Trails in the Sky -> Trails

Other examples:

  • Megami Tensei -> Shin Megami Tensei -> Shin Megami Tensei: Persona -> Persona
  • Street Fighter -> X-Men vs Street Fighter -> Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter -> Marvel vs Capcom -> SNK vs Capcom -> Vs Capcom -> Tatsunoko vs Capcom
  • Ninja Gaiden (Arcade) -> Ninja Gaiden (NES trilogy) -> Ninja Gaiden (Sega Master System) -> Ninja Gaiden (3D trilogy)

Avatar image for enzyme36
enzyme36

4658

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#38 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

I enjoy Dungeon of the Endless much more than any of the main Endless games. It is a hybrid dungeon crawler, defense game, with resource management, and there are not many other games like it. Great online co-op too.

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
madsnakehhh

16996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16996 Posts

@louixiii: So, here is the trick question ... is Rambo III a First Blood spinoff or sequel :P ???

Anyways ... yeah, i'm definitely not trying to force a discussion nor anything, just sharing some opinions.

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#40 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9513 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

@louixiii: So, here is the trick question ... is Rambo III a First Blood spinoff or sequel :P ???

Anyways ... yeah, i'm definitely not trying to force a discussion nor anything, just sharing some opinions.

xD I'd say both lol :P

Avatar image for locopatho
locopatho

24051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#41 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24051 Posts

@louixiii said:
@locopatho said:

@louixiii: So the only main Mario games are 1, 2 and 3 from the 80's and everything in the subsequent 30 years has been spinoffs? Love it 🤩

Spin-off: produce something new based on a popular television program, movie, personality, etc.

Opinions don't change the facts...

So every new Mario is a spinoff, I continue to love it 🤩🤩🤩

Avatar image for with_teeth26
with_teeth26

10372

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#42 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10372 Posts

Darksiders Genesis was awesome! didn't get nearly enough attention. still liked Darksiders 2 more but its way better than 3.

Avatar image for voljin1987
voljin1987

1091

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#43 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1091 Posts

Forza Horizon series.

Majora's mask if it counts

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9513 Posts

@locopatho said:
@louixiii said:
@locopatho said:

@louixiii: So the only main Mario games are 1, 2 and 3 from the 80's and everything in the subsequent 30 years has been spinoffs? Love it 🤩

Spin-off: produce something new based on a popular television program, movie, personality, etc.

Opinions don't change the facts...

So every new Mario is a spinoff, I continue to love it 🤩🤩🤩

Good to know ;)

Avatar image for iambatman7986
iambatman7986

3486

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#45 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3486 Posts

Forza Horizon

FF Tactics

Donkey Kong Country series (if it counts)