Spider-Man is proof people care about exclusives just because they are exclusives

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

First of, outside of the Batman Arkham series, no one on System Wars gives a damn about superhero games. They're up there with sports and games based on movies in terms of licensed crap that are more about quantity and opportunism than quality.

In comes Spider-Man, yet another open-world game(like it's a novelty in 2018) starring our favorite webslinger. Suddenly the internet loses their mind and it becomes one of the most anticipated games of the year. Now I understand Insomniac Games have a very solid track record but nothing about this Spider-Man game particularly stands out aside from its production values. The combat, open-world design, free-roaming and damn near everything else are all things we've seen before with the myriad of open-world games we've had in the past decade or so.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War had nowhere near its anticipation despite its prequel winning GOTY by a couple of publications and featuring a unique Nemesis System that is unlike anything out there. Even ignoring the lootbox fiasco, the game received a rather lukewarm reception. Hell, at least it has something that differentiates it from the generic open-world games out there. Spider-Man hasn't even got that yet people are talking about that game as it was something we had never seen before.

Until they show something that makes this game unique from the crowd, it belongs with all other generic open-world games *cough iNFAMOUS* cough. Otherwise you're just a hypocrite.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#2 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

You're joking right? It's fucking Spider-Man.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

You do not speak for everyone. And Spiderman is awesome.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44018 Posts

Sunset Overdrive, from IG, it seems was far more creative but SM will likely score way better. Go figure. :P

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@SecretPolice: It will likely be way better too.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Are you off your meds? Have you seen the money the MCU does?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice

@creepywelps:

In what way do you think?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

@Juub1990: so early in the morning and you're already butthurt crying over what'll be a very good addition to ps4s collection of exclusives. No, it's just the game it's going to be good.

Instead of crying over this, ask for your beloved Xbox one executives to come up with something good for that console.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990

@Ant_17: What has the MCU got to do with any of this?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

Nice meltdown, homeboy.

Sorry. Exclusives DO matter. After being told time and time again they do only up until a certain console started getting the short end of the stick on them. Don't start with the bullshit gaslighting campaigns saying they don't now. If MS had this game, Lems would practically be building a shrine to it (though it wouldn't be "exclusive" anyway).

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

So.... SPIDERMAN, a 50+ year old ICON doesn't poooooossibly have his own selling power.

Sure, sure sure, what ever helps your bia... errr, narrative. ?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990

@BenjaminBanklin: And when did I say exclusives didn’t matter?

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Creepywelps

@SecretPolice: Size and scale of the world, story, and bosses.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990

@AdobeArtist: Yeah totally what I said. Please read the OP.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@Juub1990 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: And when did I say exclusives didn’t matter?

Your blubbery crying rant about how no one should care for this game because it's Spiderman? Concluding people only care because it's exclusive. Did you not read all the dumb shit you wrote? I did. And it's the case of a total sadbrain.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice

@creepywelps:

Okay, I'm not saying it won't be better but it's a we'll see until it hits the street. Good luck to IG, I'm a fan.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Juub1990
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Your blubbery crying rant about how no one should care for this game because it's Spiderman? Concluding people only care because it's exclusive. Did you not read all the dumb shit you wrote? I did. And it's the case of a total sadbrain.

Not even what I said. I didn't say no one should care about it because it's a Spider-Man game. I said people on here usually don't care about superhero games. They also complain open-world games are saturating the market. Spider-Man blends superhero with open-world. Two things we have too much of and that often get complaints from System Wars. But for some reason this game gets hyped to high heaven because it is an exclusive. I never said exclusive didn't matter or people shouldn't care for Spider-Man. Clearly, reading is very difficult for you as my OP didn't say or even implied what you just typed.

What makes that game special eludes me. It looks amazing graphically but aside from that? Been there, done that. I won't hype it up any more than the next open-world game and god knows there are many of them.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BenjaminBanklin
@Juub1990 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Not even what I said. I didn't say no one should care about it because it's a Spider-Man game. I said people on here usually don't care about superhero games. They also complain open-world games are saturating the market. Spider-Man blends superhero with open-world. Two things we have too much of and that often get complaints from System Wars. But for some reason this game gets hyped to high heaven because it is an exclusive. I never said exclusive didn't matter or people shouldn't care for Spider-Man. Clearly, reading is very difficult for you as my OP didn't say or even implied what you just typed.

What makes that game special eludes me. It looks amazing graphically but aside from that? Been there, done that. I won't hype it up any more than the next open-world game and god knows there are many of them.

You don't even know what you're saying anymore. You're just swinging and punching with eyes full of tears. No one cares, man. Spider-Man is gonna happen, and it's gonna be huge. And instead of whining that it exists, you could just buy it. That why people make games, so they can be played. You'd rather not have a video game to play?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Juub1990
@BenjaminBanklin said:

You don't even know what you're saying anymore. You're just swinging and punching with eyes full of tears. No one cares, man. Spider-Man is gonna happen, and it's gonna be huge. And instead of whining that it exists, you could just buy it. That why people make games, so they can be played. You'd rather not have a video game to play?

"No one cares, man".

Well don't answer my posts and let this thread die then. If you're interested in fanboying, go right ahead but that's gonna be without me.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ReCloud

@Juub1990: lmao, you're butthurt because people are anticipating the game, I'm just eager to see how you'll be when the game gets good scores and sell a lot.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990

@recloud: If the game ends up being particularly good I’ll just buy it. For now it looks unremarkable which is why I’m saying people hype it up solely because it is an exclusive. It looks competent enough but again, nothing about it justifies its hype.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ReCloud

@Juub1990: it looks better than most open world games out there. It doesn't look generic and it looks highly polished and it will probably the first good spider Man game in ages, since the last one was on psx.

People are excited for this because it is spider Man, people love spider Man.

And don't forget one thing: marketing, this games is getting tons of it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

Some people enjoy the idea of exclusive games on their system more that the games themselves. I recall the hate Sunset had when it was revealed that it look repetitive, in come Spiderman with the same formula,Epic. LOL.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReCloud

@Pedro: so, you played the game already? Tell us how the future will be like

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Juub1990

@recloud: No it looks generic. Don’t lie. It does nothing new with the open-world formula. It has high production values and that’s that. As if we didn’t already have dozens of great looking open-world games already. Spider-Man will be just another one on the pile.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ReCloud

@Juub1990: it doesn't to me and neither to all of us excited for the game.

Define generic

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#27 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts
@recloud said:

@Juub1990: it looks better than most open world games out there. It doesn't look generic and it looks highly polished and it will probably the first good spider Man game in ages, since the last one was on psx.

People are excited for this because it is spider Man, people love spider Man.

Weren't a fan of the PS2/GC/Xbox ones? I thought they were pretty good. Good old web-slinging, climbing and beat em up.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ReCloud

@Sam3231: no, I didn't like them

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

This is where I'm coming from

• I played and enjoyed all of the Batman Arkham and inFAMOUS games
  • I played a Spider-man game on PS1 and enjoyed it
  • I like Insomniac Games a lot , but haven't played everything they've done - like Fuse
  • Marvel and Sony appear to be giving Insomniac proper backing and support that this AAA game deserves
  • It looks very fun and beautiful , and also has great impressions from E3
  • Spider-Man is my favorite super hero

I thought about playing some of the other Spider-Man games in the past , but had so many other better perceived choices around those times and in the backlog. But when this Spider-Man releases , it will shoot up to #1 on the gaming playlist with no big competition.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Juub1990
@recloud said:

@Juub1990: it doesn't to me and neither to all of us excited for the game.

Define generic

And I'll ask, what makes this game stand from the rest of the open-world games? Superhero games seldom get a lot of hype and open-world games are a dime a dozen. What does this game do that no other game does?

When Arkham Asylum was revealed, it was a brand new take on a Batman game. It wasn't the same old beat em up and glide around the city. You had a detective system(because they just discovered Batman is a detective), a myriad of gadgets to be creative with, predator tactics, ambushes, multiple ways to take out groups of bandits and a setting based on what many would call the greatest Batman story ever told. To top it all off you had extremely high production values, Mark Hamil voicing The Joker and an excellent script. I could understand the hype at the time because it brought things to the table that no one else did. Fast forward a few years later and many games straight up copied it and it became the template for many stealth/open world hybrid.

Now can you tell me what have you seen from Spider-Man that makes you say "Oh Shit! I have to play it! Never seen anything like it before".

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24894 Posts

Exactly. Spiderman is nothing more than super hero for kiddies. this game is basically QTE man with combat inspired by arkham series.

@AdobeArtist said:

So.... SPIDERMAN, a 50+ year old ICON doesn't poooooossibly have his own selling power.

Sure, sure sure, what ever helps your bia... errr, narrative. ?

last gen tons of activision spiderman game no one care about. see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

My only concerns about Spider-man are the variety of the things to do in the world and whether they become repetitive to quickly or whether the combat feels satisfying.

Sure is a looker though!

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@boycie: was thinking the same thing. I hope you're able to just be Peter and walk the city and find things to do.. Maybe asking too much tho

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BenjaminBanklin
@Pedro said:

Some people enjoy the idea of exclusive games on their system more that the games themselves. I recall the hate Sunset had when it was revealed that it look repetitive, in come Spiderman with the same formula,Epic. LOL.

Can't wait 'til you tell us how awesome Crackdown 3 is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#35  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't know if I agree completely. To me it's odd, since I tend to loathe superhero games/movies/books, but people in general seem to love them. So it's normal for the general public to be excited, considering how well even the shittiest marvel movie makes millions nowadays.

Sony will probably have a mega hit with this. Just like Uncharted, Last of Us and GoW worked great with both gamers and casuals, this can potentially appeal to casuals to a even greater scale.

And of course, cows will praise it even further, that's what fanboys from all sides do. Damn, after the shitshow that the last Days Gone gameplay was they keep excited about that just because it's an exclusive. But, again, that's what all fanboys do. So the troll farm around here will probably go mental over Spiderman.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Creepywelps

@ghosts4ever: Yea, but Activision sucks tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@creepywelps said:

@ghosts4ever: Yea, but Activision sucks tho.

Yeah they do. But will that put you off Sekiro : Shadows Die twice as Activision are publishing that and that looks fucking brilliant.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56018 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@Ant_17: What has the MCU got to do with any of this?

In other words, you're not even a Comic Book guy if you had to say that.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Indeed. We have many Spiderman games from Activision I think, and nobody cared. I seldom see any artciles or news coverage or any hype behind it but as soon as it was announced a Spiderman is coming exclusively for PS4 the entire internet lost its mind and that was before they even saw any gameplay. Fast forward to first gameplay and it's nothing more than QTE's mixed with Arkham gameplay which it still is.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Juub1990

@davillain-: And what has being a comic book guy got to do with any of this? And you didn’t even answer the question you quoted.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

Never played a spiderman game in my life, and I never would've if this license stayed with Craptivision.

Now I'm finally taking an interest.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Creepywelps

@boycie: I'm willing to take the risk for Sekiro.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50537 Posts

First sentence is false, so I stopped there

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator

Insomniac signed an exclusive deal with Sony and Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man and Marvel themselves have permission to use Spider-Man as they see fit. I believe when Sony was negotiating the movie rights they wanted the game rights as well since Activision's rights to Spider-Man had just expired. Me personally, I go where the games are, regardless if Spider-Man game was exclusive or not, I wouldn't care but the fact this is coming to PS4 only and I really want to play it, I gotta get it on PS4. I wish it came to PC but I'm NOT gonna bitch about it. Plus I like Marvel, Spider-Man was my first ever comic book character that introduce me to the world of Marvel growing up in the early 90's.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@recloud said:

@Pedro: so, you played the game already? Tell us how the future will be like

You do know he could ask you the same, right?

@recloud said:

lmao, you're butthurt because people are anticipating the game, I'm just eager to see how you'll be when the game gets good scores and sell a lot.

...The irony.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:

@davillain-: And what has being a comic book guy got to do with any of this? And you didn’t even answer the question you quoted.

Spider-Man started off as a comic book and it has it's fan base. And I already answer the question on my own post.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@Juub1990: lol nobody cares about superhero games? You know why? Because the vast majority were shit movie tie ins and cash grabs. The Batman Arkham series was the first to truely do it right and as a result is the best superhero game series of all time. This is the first time Spiderman is really getting that treatment. To top it off almost all previews have been extremely positive. So even if this was a multiplat it would be in my top 3 this year but the fact its exclusive? It just shows why its worth owning a PS4.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Juub1990
@davillain- said:

Spider-Man started off as a comic book and it has it's fan base. And I already answer the question on my own post.

Now please, quote my OP and tell me where this reply is relevant to it. I'll wait. I'll wait a long time because it's completely irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990
@blackhairedhero said:

@Juub1990: lol nobody cares about superhero games? You know why? Because the vast majority were shit movie tie ins and cash grabs. The Batman Arkham series was the first to truely do it right and as a result is the best superhero game series of all time. This is the first time Spiderman is really getting that treatment. To top it off almost all previews have been extremely positive. So even if this was a multiplat it would be in my top 3 this year but the fact its exclusive? It just shows why its worth owning a PS4.

This is a reply with some substance. It took this long for getting a legitimate post. Thank you.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990: No, I personally already answer it for you! Spider-Man is a comic book character created by Marvel. Sony owns the Spider-Man rights and also owns the rights for making games on their consoles now before Activision let the contract expired. Rather you like my answer or not, this is the correct answer you're getting. Rather you take me seriously or not, this is all on you Mr. Juub1990.