Spider-Man can't even come close to Batman Arkham series in combat and stealth.

• 176 results
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@shurns said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

@metalslimenite: what freedom? It's being reported its linear like Uncharted. If these reports are true then they dropped the ball. It has to be open world or fail.

Where are your sources that reports that it's being linear and non-open world? Insomniac Games has already confirmed on twitter that the game is completely open world and you can free roam around the city. If you don't have any sources to your argument and mislead people, because you have some kind of agenda against this game, then that's pretty low.

Was wondering the same from these multiple allegations of non-open world.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#152 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Spider-Man

Not Spiderman

One is the name of a fictional comic book hero.

One sounds like a jewish dentist.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#154 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Spider-Man

Not Spiderman

One is the name of a fictional comic book hero.

One sounds like a jewish dentist.

lol

Edited that, happy now? :P

@sts106mat said:

Its looking like 2018 is going to be an awesome year for games.

its a pity so many games have been delayed into 2018 though, some great games are bound to suffer poor sales because it will be chocka block with games.

Yeah 2018 is shaping up to be a great year too

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm expecting the Spider Man game to be very good.

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#156 lilhurk1985187
Member since 2014 • 571 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Remove the pretty graphics and there's basically very little gameplay. Like the majority of Sony titles shown it's basically a screensaver.

Ironically the pc gaming show (the platform constantly accused of having graphics whores) had far more substance and far less reliance on presentation.

Not even a PC guy but even i agree.The $oni conference was crap.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Haven't watched it until just now from OP's clip, but yeah, that combat was pretty sub par...

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

The AI is dumb, just standing around waiting to be beaten.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

you don't like QTE's but you like batman's combat? Just because it doesn't show a button explicitly doesn't mean its not a QTE hidden in gameplay

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#160  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Batman's combat was never awful, nor was it simplistic if you wanted to achieve high scores. Its complexities lie in nuances of timing and the implementation of various gadgetry in accordance with the positions of differing enemies that require different techniques to disarm/tackle (that requires a charged up combo meter, no less), all while retaining a single combo. The combat takes a lot of skill and planning if you want to be proficient and approach it with any sense of economy.

In relation to the rest of its genre? IE the Japanese entries in its genre? Uh yes it is people, cut it out.

It was solid, often because they nailed feel, but where depth was concerned it wasn't exactly a favor for Batman even if we count the challenge mode (it isn't like like the likes of Ninja Gaiden n Bayo lack one, much less stuff like God Hand or whatever). It's timing often came down to generous as **** windows to work with, plenty of gadgets in combat often become redundant because really don't add much, it's why this series could never provide interesting free style footage. You the player, can't be expressive the way you can in God Hand or even Viewtiful Joe (which is on a 2d plane no less).

It's a basic spacing challenge where he moves so freely which is a direct connect to how the player works the controller, where cashing up your insta kill take downs on the specialized enemy is the more practical, efficient, n effective tactic to go with regardless of challenge scenario.

The games have always schooled other games using that combat because again Batman's always felt louder n crunchier than the likes of Shadow of Mordor, Sleeping Dogs, n Ass Creed, that and the games were paced better, and had enemies scale better over the course of the game even if the difficulty is a push over. But a skill ceiling wise, it's wildly outclassed by just about any other good beat-em up.

It's saving grace is that it benefits with the often nebulous term "action/adventure" genre, which translates into it also being compared to the likes of Zelda, Darksiders, Lord of Shadows and that ilk, and those games have mediocre as **** combat as well, so Batman comes out smelling like roses. Good games, but they aren't particularly deep. They just happen to not be painfully shallow, pretending otherwise is being a bit ignorant to what Japan's done in the beat-em up space.

Yea, relativistically sure. It's not the most complex fighter out there in comparison, but it's not simplistic taken upon its own merits. It had depth. You had to be aware of positioning, you had to take into account your combo multiplier in order to know when to be able to take down opponents that couldn't be fought against by mashing attack or counter, as so many predicate their arguments of simplicity upon.

I would never argue that the Arkham series holds anywhere near the complexity or depth respective to the best in its genre, but it's not simplistic in its own right. That the Batman games focus isn't even in the fighting genre I find to stand even more in testament to how well the fighting holds up, and can even be somewhat compared (though still outclassed).

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#161 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

It's hard to criticize a game based on a hype trailer, but if the whole game is like that, with some short bursts of stealth and combat, with generally on-rails cinematic gameplay, then it definitely will be a forgettable experience

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#162 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

In relation to the rest of its genre? IE the Japanese entries in its genre? Uh yes it is people, cut it out.

It was solid, often because they nailed feel, but where depth was concerned it wasn't exactly a favor for Batman even if we count the challenge mode (it isn't like like the likes of Ninja Gaiden n Bayo lack one, much less stuff like God Hand or whatever). It's timing often came down to generous as **** windows to work with, plenty of gadgets in combat often become redundant because really don't add much, it's why this series could never provide interesting free style footage. You the player, can't be expressive the way you can in God Hand or even Viewtiful Joe (which is on a 2d plane no less).

It's a basic spacing challenge where he moves so freely which is a direct connect to how the player works the controller, where cashing up your insta kill take downs on the specialized enemy is the more practical, efficient, n effective tactic to go with regardless of challenge scenario.

The games have always schooled other games using that combat because again Batman's always felt louder n crunchier than the likes of Shadow of Mordor, Sleeping Dogs, n Ass Creed, that and the games were paced better, and had enemies scale better over the course of the game even if the difficulty is a push over. But a skill ceiling wise, it's wildly outclassed by just about any other good beat-em up.

It's saving grace is that it benefits with the often nebulous term "action/adventure" genre, which translates into it also being compared to the likes of Zelda, Darksiders, Lord of Shadows and that ilk, and those games have mediocre as **** combat as well, so Batman comes out smelling like roses. Good games, but they aren't particularly deep. They just happen to not be painfully shallow, pretending otherwise is being a bit ignorant to what Japan's done in the beat-em up space.

Yea, relativistically sure. It's not the most complex fighter out there in comparison, but it's not simplistic taken upon its own merits. It had depth. You had to be aware of positioning, you had to take into account your combo multiplier in order to know when to be able to take down opponents that couldn't be fought against by mashing attack or counter, as so many predicate their arguments of simplicity upon.

I would never argue that the Arkham series holds anywhere near the complexity or depth respective to the best in its genre, but it's not simplistic in its own right. That the Batman games focus isn't even in the fighting genre I find to stand even more in testament to how well the fighting holds up, and can even be somewhat compared (though still outclassed).

I mean it is simplistic, positioning isn't even a thing in these games. Like objectively it isn't. Even the likes of DMC n Bayo have gap closers for moves, but it has limited range, in contrast Batman is like **** it, yolo, i'm back flipping across the pond to hit this mother fucker. There is a disconnect to Batman's combat, because the simplicity of movements are completely at odds with what you the player are doing, effectively playing a two button game.

For Bayonetta to move around, your stick movements matter, you need proper positioning n set up in a Souls game, or 2d zelda (in fact all of 2d Zelda's depth is in micropositioning), your combo multiplier is a non factor once the button prompts come up, hell in Arkham City the indicators can't be turned off till NG+ if memory serves. And the combo meter itself is color coded enough to give away, so it's a pretty basic management.

Even the alternative goons are usually hit B, and then he wails away, or you need to properly disarm them. So yeah you might conserve your takedown for them, for the sake of efficiency. But that's not particularly interesting choice in comparison to any of its genre mates.

The fighting stacks up, purely on a basic level. It's raw n crunchy, and just enough that it isn't shallow. But it's not deep, it has plenty of redundancies. And with no due respect, having another mechanic you are balancing is not an excuse to not nail that other mechanic even better. Ninja Gaiden had platforming segments in its game, and the action was killer. The platforming, well, not so much. Luckily the action can carry that excellent game. Batman similarly benefits that both its action n stealth, while not deep, aren't painfully shallow as to be unsatisfying. There is a raw power fantasy there, that is achieved by at least keeping the player honest, instead of gift wrapping it to them. And yeah admittedly City also added some nifty puzzles to its formula.

But I've never enjoyed this defense of "game tries other things, so it's okay that this one mechanic isn't that strong". As I'm of the opinion, everything you try, should be judged consistently and as far as its maximization. The question is once you've established in a critique whether or not this mechanic or that mechanic is shallow, deep, okay, meh, or anywhere in between, is what impact does that have on the greater whole of the gameplay. As gameplay is a composition, not a single mechanic or just a group of mechanics. It's more holistic.

So lets ignore arkham now for a sec.

Here's my beef with what I'm seeing of Spiderman having played a lot of Asylum n City, and one playthrough of Origins and like half of Knight before I got bored. In Batman I know that the grappling hook is a button combination? or a different button press, and its place in combat was either to bring an enemy closer, or just a straight up bring em there so batman could do a quick clothesline, the other gadgets, eh, some of em are so pointless to even focus on using it feels like in combat as they are so much more useful in stealth, even if they have rigid rules thus being entirely dependent on the design space.

Spiderman was almost effortlessly using his webs in combat, in a manner that made me believe that's probably not a button combination because the animation could be these mixed things. If anything it's probably the same x, n y routine. Which if you wanted to make Batman look a little cooler, you had to at least get a bit up on the controller to use those gadgets in combat. It seems like this, and people in this thread have focused on "look how flashy it looks" are ignoring the idea that it's flashy with barely anything being done by the player. And that's lame.

With all due respect to Asylum n City, as I do enjoy those games, I never once thought Batman's combat was good enough for all the aping it's done, and more importantly they took the wrong fucking lessons from the Arkham games. None of Arkham's mechanics, by themselves are why those games are good. Platinum's games? yeah the mechanics are the stars of the show, their games have other strengths as well, but the mechanics are king.

Rocksteady's best work is a product of pacing, conveyance, tight level design, making the exploration tied with interesting fan service, that would be a fun little game thing to do on its own. Yeah the simplicity of the combat made it have mass market appeal, but it's critical praise is a product of things are more inside baseball. It's the creative uses of Batman and Batman things, it's why Arkham Knight is looked at as this disappointment. It felt like they ran out of ideas, because the Batmobile feels like they only neat new idea they had up their sleeve at that point. I mean it also doesn't help that they fucking did the worst adaptation of Jason Todd's story, but that's not the point.

I don't want to focus on how much this medium sucks at stories, that it couldn't even be good with Paul Dini working on em.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Spiderman just wishes he was Batman. Then again, every superhero really wants to be Batman. But ultimately, there is only one. ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46187 Posts

The fighting and web slinging actually looks really cool, I was sold on the game at that point.

But then the QTEs came... and then they outstayed their welcome... and then more QTEs... and more ... and more

Oh god make it stop !!!!!!!

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@mjorh said:
@Epak_ said:
@mjorh said:
@Epak_ said:

A huge Spiderman fan here, I'm sure I'll play the **** out of this game when it comes out. Batman can suck it!

Batman has better comics, better movies and better games.

Spidey owned ?

Spidey has better comics, the movies are watchable, it only needs a proper game.

We have The Dark Knight, the best superhero movie of all time, and I don't think its game would surpass Batman Arkham series

Spidey owned again ?

I'll take Spider-Man 2 over TDK any day of the week.

Strip away Ledger's Joker (who shows up for maybe 20 mins of the 2 1/2 hour movie) and you're left with maybe the most boring goddamn comic book movie in existence.

My biggest problem with the Nolan Batman movies is that they take themselves too seriously. To the point where they don't even feel like Batman movies. It feels like I'm just watching some standard hollywood crime thriller with a guy dressed up in a bat costume.

Hell, I'll take the '89 Burton/Keaton Batman over any of the Nolan/Bale movies. At least that actually feels like a Batman flick. Gotham actually felt like Gotham. Nolan's Gotham had no character at all. It was just NYC.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 mjorh

@AdobeArtist said:

Spiderman just wishes he was Batman. Then again, every superhero really wants to be Batman. But ultimately, there is only one. ?

Yeah baby ?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By mjorh

@frank_castle: It seems that your gripe is pretty subjective, I mean TDK is not only a fantastic superhero title, it's also a great movie, from cinematography to its writing, acting and direction, it just shines in every single aspect, I'm not a fan of its comics and I actually dig that Nolan took it seriously and injected themes like morality and stuff into the movie, but I can understand why you, as a comic fan, didn't like it.

@R4gn4r0k said:

The fighting and web slinging actually looks really cool, I was sold on the game at that point.

But then the QTEs came... and then they outstayed their welcome... and then more QTEs... and more ... and more

Oh god make it stop !!!!!!!

*chuckles* Yeah there were too many QTEs in the footage.

As @jg4xchamp: explained, it seems that player agency is not the focal point of the combat system and this is not good, I don't like it when spectacle overshadows substance, you should strike a balance between the two.

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Who in the world said that? Arkham games are awesome. I do think the Spider-Man game is going to be good too, but probably not as much as Arkham series.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 mjorh

@glitch- said:

Who in the world said that? Arkham games are awesome. I do think the Spider-Man game is going to be good too, but probably not as much as Arkham series.

During E3 ppl were so hyped :D

And yeah I'm in line with you, it'll definitely be a success but I highly doubt that it'll surpass Arkham series.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#170  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9530 Posts

Not that I really care all that much, but Batman and Spiderman are two different personalities and fighting styles. I would say Batman IS more stealth oriented while Spiderman is more over the top and rush straight in.... so there's that.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#171 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

what i don't like about spiderman games is too much sense of speed.

like when your swing through the city or just swinging in general..... they use tons of motion blur and the backgrounds look blurry because you are swinging so fast. it's almost like sonic 3D games like sonic adventures and generations type of speed camera usage. i would much prefer a slower swing style one that doesn't go all fast all over the place. but that's just me.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:

@metalslimenite: what freedom? It's being reported its linear like Uncharted. If these reports are true then they dropped the ball. It has to be open world or fail.

Hi, You're wrong

http://www.gamezone.com/news/e3-2017-spider-man-developer-talks-story-and-open-world-peter-parker-is-the-playable-character-3454567

"When asked about how open the game will be after the fairly linear demo, Inithar confirmed it will be open world and explained how Spidey will move throughout the city.

"It's a sprawling Manhatten, as soon as you load up the game you can go everywhere. It's open, it's not like we're hiding parts of the city. When he's chasing the helicopter, that's our city. You can swing around in it as much as you want. The idea is that no obstacle should be in your way." he said. " We saw the parkour elements and even when the water tower is destroyed, you can adapt to those situations."

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@madsnakehhh: He is making it up

http://www.gamezone.com/news/e3-2017-spider-man-developer-talks-story-and-open-world-peter-parker-is-the-playable-character-3454567

"When asked about how open the game will be after the fairly linear demo, Inithar confirmed it will be open world and explained how Spidey will move throughout the city.

"It's a sprawling Manhatten, as soon as you load up the game you can go everywhere. It's open, it's not like we're hiding parts of the city. When he's chasing the helicopter, that's our city. You can swing around in it as much as you want. The idea is that no obstacle should be in your way." he said. " We saw the parkour elements and even when the water tower is destroyed, you can adapt to those situations."

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@glitch-: @mjorh: "And yeah I'm in line with you, it'll definitely be a success but I highly doubt that it'll surpass Arkham series."

Is that sales or critical claims?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 mjorh

@PSP107 said:

@glitch-: @mjorh: "And yeah I'm in line with you, it'll definitely be a success but I highly doubt that it'll surpass Arkham series."

Is that sales or critical claims?

In terms of the overall quality, not sales.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#176 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@xxgunslingerxx said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

Hi, You're wrong

if anything they might be talking about the structure of the missions.