Speaking of Warhammer 40k...why not a 3d simulation of the actual tabletop game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

Not like an RTS game, but a 3d simulation of the popular miniatures game? One would create, paint, and assemble their armies just like the real thing, while allowing a much larger playbase to compete against.

Could even add in cool animations and what not to the units, just to spice up the combat. But during the game, it would resemble the tabletop game almost entirley...dice, rulers,terrain, etc.

What do you guy's think?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

wouldnt really work and it would pretty much be limited to those intrested in the tabletop game itself and they more than likely already have their gear.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Its the Warhammer game im waiting for, but I highly doubt that it will ever happen
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I don't think Games Workshop (the makers of the tabletop) would allow that.

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
Because the system is bad, Gdub knows it, we know it and im betting THQ knows it. Its fun if set around a narrative but thats about it. Warmachine and Infinity are far better tabletop games. 40K lost its focus years ago, and has suffered as a consequence.
Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts

I'd be willing to pay for a micro-transaction based table top game. Where it's exactly like table top, but done entirely on the computer. I have a bunch of models, but I haven't gotten around to painting them because it's time consuming. In addition to that, no one I know plays the tabletop game. I think what would be even better, is combining both the actual table top and the computer version so that you can build your army either by hand or on the computer and play against people from around the world. Of course, first something needs to be done about Matt Ward. Also, you now remember Fish of Fury. Oh, and the Necron March of Doom.

Sotonian_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sotonian_Rebel
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

Didnt the early warhammer 40k games play like the table top rules?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Not like an RTS game, but a 3d simulation of the popular miniatures game? One would create, paint, and assemble their armies just like the real thing, while allowing a much larger playbase to compete against.

Could even add in cool animations and what not to the units, just to spice up the combat. But during the game, it would resemble the tabletop game almost entirley...dice, rulers,terrain, etc.

What do you guy's think?

xxxLUGZxxx

Gameswork shop (the owner and creator of the brand) will ever allow that. It would have a potential to completely cripple their whole revenues.

That's why even back in the day turn-based Warhammer PC games had to use different rulesets than tabletops originals.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I think Space Marines is more fun for the masses than the table game for those that not big fan of Warhammer already.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
im sure the devs would want the game to sell
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

What do you guy's think?

AdrianWerner

Gameswork shop (the owner and creator of the brand) will ever allow that. It would have a potential to completely cripple their whole revenues.

That's why even back in the day turn-based Warhammer PC games had to use different rulesets than tabletops originals.

I don't see the issues though. Wizards has no problem releasing video game adaptations of Magic: The Gathering, so I don't see how Warhammer 40K would be any different.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

What do you guy's think?

AcidSoldner

I don't see the issues though. Wizards has no problem releasing video game adaptations of Magic: The Gathering, so I don't see how Warhammer 40K would be any different.

Magic the Gathering is not their main or only revenue.. Warhammer and 40k cost a fortune to do, this would literally destroy their sales for many because instead of paying hundreds of dollars.. They can just buy a game for $50 or less and get everything..

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I don't see the issues though. Wizards has no problem releasing video game adaptations of Magic: The Gathering, so I don't see how Warhammer 40K would be any different. AcidSoldner

Theres no technical issues that dont allow a tabletop version to be made. Its simply a business decision on behalf of Games Workshop. They are too concerned about a 3D version cannibalizing their tabletop sales.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

What do you guy's think?

AcidSoldner

Buying buster packs is different from buying minatures. Different price points for one, no randomity, plus minatures have to be painted (additional money)

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
That wouldn't really work. What could work is a semi-tabletop version, turn based but no actual tape measures and have animations for movement, combat phases ect.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

I would love that, but GW will NEVER let that happen. But i wouldn't mind a TBS RPG (think Fire Emblem) or a Strategy RPG (think Mount and Blade) were you play Orks, or Imperial Guard.:D

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

wow, i actually like this idea

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

animamatied show/movie/clips would be best, it could convince more people to play if you could turn your battle into a short film

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
In a day and age were table top games are becoming less and less relevant and electronic entertainment are taking over, i'm surprised that Gamesworkshop still is in business.
SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate is the best 40k I have played. It is turn-based, you can move/shoot with your marine depending on how many points that marine has left. You could also kit your squads out between matches. One of the closest games to the tabeltop version I've layed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKB4Igf1xU&feature=related (link won't work, it is gameplay for the game)

Graphics are 2d, but still look good imo. 40k fans should check it out.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Never played the tabletop game. Just never really my thing. A 3D simulation of anything like that would be interesting though.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamer-adam1

In a day and age were table top games are becoming less and less relevant and electronic entertainment are taking over, i'm surprised that Gamesworkshop still is in business.Gamingcucumber

I am sure Gamesworkshop will jump once kinect becomes better and/or table computers become more popular...playing tabletop style with a keyboard and mouse, doesnt seem right

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

What do you guy's think?

xxxLUGZxxx
Games Workshop will never ever let that happen as that could majorly affect their business of milking 40k fans through overpriced plastic models and kits.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamer-adam1

I at least think they should do it for battlefleet gothic, rare amount of players, having a rts style could bring people into tabletop gaming

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
When scanning tech becomes good enough to be slick and less bulky mechanics wise I bet games workshop would be more than willing to make a game...that requires all your figures to use.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

When scanning tech becomes good enough to be slick and less bulky mechanics wise I bet games workshop would be more than willing to make a game...that requires all your figures to use.Jynxzor
Eye of Judgement, but with models instead of cards. You move your guys around a blank board, on screen there's 3d terrain, enemies only shown if you have line of sight to them, attacks are animated... it'd be pretty awesome. I rarely play anymore because there's no GW or comic shop nearby where I live now, so it's hard to find people to play against.