Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

A recent online rumor got people buzzing about a possible 2018 release of PlayStation 5, but that’s probably not going to happen. In fact, from what we’ve heard, the next PlayStation is a ways away—it may not arrive until 2020.

It’s been nearly five years since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched, which has triggered bouts of nervousness and excitement among video game fans who want to know when they’ll have to start hoarding pennies for a new generation of consoles. The PS4 launched seven years after the PS3, the Xbox One eight years after the Xbox 360. It’s not unreasonable to be thinking about the next generation. We don’t have a concrete answer just yet, but we have been asking around, and what we’ve heard is a whole lot of uncertainty.

Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting. “On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward,” one person said. “At some point, Sony’s probably looked at every possible date. It’s all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware.” A surprise move by Microsoft or another competitor, for example, could trigger a change in plans.

Most of the developers I spoke to, via phone and email and text, said they had not heard anything about plans for a new PlayStation. Even employees at Sony’s first-party studios said they have not yet been briefed on the existence of a PlayStation 5. People across all the disciplines (design, art, engineering, etc.) at major studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond have told me that if there is information about the PS5 at their companies, they haven’t heard about it. (Those people said they haven’t heard about a new Xbox, either.)

In summary: There is information about the PlayStation 5 floating around at both first- and third-party companies, but it’s far more limited than it would be if the console’s release was imminent.

Last week, an article from a website called Semiaccurate alleged that a large number of PlayStation 5 development kits had gone out to game makers. The article also speculated that the console could be out by the end of 2018. This article is behind a paywall—“Pricing is $1,000 for a year’s worth of access”—but ResetEra rounded up some of the details. When I showed those details to one person familiar with Sony’s plans, they laughed. For the PlayStation 5 to be out this fall, they said, it would already be in manufacturing. (And if that was the case, it’d come as a big surprise to a lot of people who are making games for this fall and beyond.)

PlayStation 5 development kits are another question. A development kit is a proprietary piece of hardware that allows game-makers to build and optimize games for a specific console. It usually comes with proprietary software, too, such as a console’s operating system and other “debug” features that allow developers more access to the hardware than they’d have with a retail device. It’s possible to replicate a console’s development environment by using software on a computer, and these days, game engines like Unity and Unreal can facilitate that process, but in order to release games on the PlayStation, developers will ultimately need the tools and licenses provided by devkits. These development kits are especially useful for debugging and preparing for certification, the process that Sony uses to test and approve of new games.

But the term can be misleading. To say that “PS5 devkits” are out in the wild could mean several different things. “Super early devkits are often PCs with the CPU and GPU,” said a source familiar with Sony’s console development, referring to the processor and graphics card of the future machine. Early “development kits” might not resemble a PlayStation at all.

An early devkit “is a literal desktop tower—it doesn’t look like anything,” the source said. “First devkits are almost always that. They might have a custom motherboard or might literally be a PC. You want to get one or two of those out to the lead graphics programmer [of a studio] so they can see what’s possible, start planning what they can do in their game based on that. That’s early devkit stuff.”

As a result, before a new console is released, studios will typically work with multiple versions of development kits. One person who worked in a high role at a major game developer said that their company had received proper PS4 devkits, then code-named Orbis, about a year before the console launched in November 2013. Another person who worked for a major game studio said they were working with PCs dressed up as development kits around 18-24 months before the PS4 came out. The PlayStation 4, unlike its predecessor, was built with PC architecture, allowing more flexibility there.

If these early PS5 devkits are out at game studios now, they are likely extremely well-hidden. With earlier PlayStations, sources said, Sony had worked hard to keep development kits secret, even sometimes asking game studios to lock them in rooms where access was restricted to a select group of people.

Making things more complicated is the existence of Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro, upgraded versions of each respective console that have their own dedicated development kits. These “mid-generation” hardware refreshes suggest that Microsoft and Sony have taken a different approach to the current cycle of consoles, and it’s fair to wonder how they might influence future consoles. Those mid-gen upgraded consoles are still new. The Pro came out in November 2016, while Xbox One X released in November 2017.

What we’re hearing from developers is that most people expect Sony’s next console to be a PlayStation 5, a machine that runs games that won’t run on PS4, but that they don’t expect it for a while. At the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco last month, secondhand rumors I heard also suggested a 2020 release. Word from a few people was that in meetings between Sony and developers, representatives for the publisher had dropped vague hints about that 2020 timeframe. But it’s worth reiterating: When it comes to hardware, anything can change.

Sony did not respond to a request for comment.

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-playstation-5-is-still-a-ways-off-1825152206

So, there you have it. Looks like Sony was not as shook by the Scorpibone and you should feel bad for thinking they were. Don't run out there and trade your current PS4 just yet.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Only a dumbass would believe Sony is launching the PS5 in 2018 with the way PS4 is currently dominating.

It's launching 2020 or 2021 like I've been saying all along. Sony isn't keen on stopping the PS4 domination anytime soon. They are gonna milk the PS4's success for as long as possible.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts
@quadknight said:

Only a dumbass would believe Sony is launching the PS5 in 2018 with the way PS4 is currently dominating.

It's launching 2020 or 2021 like I've been saying all along. Sony isn't keen on stopping the PS4 domination anytime soon. They are gonna milk the PS4's success for as long as possible.

Get it....cause there cows bahahaha. In all seriousness though, they are in no rush of releasing another console. The Xbox One is not putting any pressure on them and the Switch is its own thing. Part of me kinda expects the PS4 Pro to become the standard PS4 unit by 2020, with the PS5 coming out around the same time. Who knows though. This mid-cycle shit makes for an interesting scenario.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I would've thought that was obvious.

The only people crying out for the PS5 so soon are the butthurt cows mad that the PS4Poor is now outdone by the X.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I still think late 2019...and I'm fine with it, I would buy.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

That's fine. There's no hurry. PC is always going to be the better platform, and none of the Xboxes pose any sort of threat. They can take their time and deliver what counts in the meantime... games.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

The mid gen refreshes extended this generation. There’s no need to rush out the Xbox 2 or PS5. If we didn’t have the PS4 Pro or Xbox one X, then we might be talking new consoles.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Exactly who was expecting a 2018 release? No one, it seems.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

Holiday 2019 release.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

PS5 better support Ray Tracing.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

It's April 2018... No one is thinking it'll release this year. That rumor was from last year and it was dumb thinking that at the time anyways. Sony didn't release the Pro to compete with Xbox. It had two purposes: 1. For a better VR experience, and 2. To keep gamers from jumping to PC. Yes, PC is their biggest rival. A holiday 2019 or early spring 2020 are the most plausible time to release. Death Stranding and/or that Ghost of T game could be launch titles, with a PS4 and Pro version also available.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Even at a 2019 release date, the generation gap would be insignificant.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

It seems right now the internal release date they've been telling developers/publishers to be ready is for 2020. Would be perfect since it would give Sony's 1st party developers some time to get ready, at least having Horizon: Zero Dawn 2 ready for launch.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoshRMeyer

@sirk1264: The Pro was never intended to extend this generation. I think we can all admit it's not a great 4k gaming machine. By 2019/2020 4k TVs will be the norm and people will want a machine that can do 4k without sacrifices.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 QuadKnight

@CRUSHER88: ? The pun wasn’t intended.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@goldenelementxl: For the vast majority of PS4 owners(I'd say 90% own a base or slim ps4), it'll be a huge jump in performance. Even moreso than the jump from PS3 to PS4.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@quadknight: "COWS are users who are devout supporters of Sony's hardware. (The name comes from 6th gen characteristics where many accessories were needed to get the full experience, like the multi-tap, additional controllers, hard drives, eye toy, etc. This was called "milking" therefore getting the name "cows")"

It's why some of us are called cows apparently.

Edit: I think I just did a Captain Obvious... My bad lol

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

There's simply no reason for PS5 to be released before 2020.

PS4 is selling 20+ million units per year, it has at least 10 major exclusives announced for the next few years, and honestly, its games still look insanely good. Why on earth would Sony ignore the great momentum PS4 is having now?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@goldenelementxl: For the vast majority of PS4 owners(I'd say 90% own a base or slim ps4), it'll be a huge jump in performance. Even moreso than the jump from PS3 to PS4.

Diminishing returns. It's going to be a jump but much smaller than the one from PS3 to PS4 which was smaller than the jump from PS2 to PS3

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JoshRMeyer

@PAL360: Maybe they want to have something ready for when sales eventually slow down. Rumors are going to escalate as 2019 gets closer and more people will be waiting to get a ps5 instead of PS4 by that time. Even with ps5 out, I think many games will still support it for years after, and it'll continue to sell, as long as the price is below $200. Maybe a slim for $179, Pro for $249, PS5 for $399. Can't see how that'd hurt.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PAL360

@joshrmeyer: Doen't hurt. Simply doesn't make sense from a business perspective.

I do believe it's already in the works for a 2020/21 relase, though.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JoshRMeyer

@kingtito: Yeah visually probably. Hopefully 60fps will be a norm or at least an option next gen though, and that'll be a big difference. I was mostly referring to specs on paper though. I think PS4 was something like 6 times as powerful as PS3? I can see PS5 being 6-8 times as powerful as PS4... On paper.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoshRMeyer

@PAL360: Well, someone from Sony, I think Cerny, had said people are leaving console for PC, and they want to keep those gamers. That was way before the whole GPU fiasco though. So they may need something that does a consistent 4k by that time, and I don't think the Pro will cut it. I have a Pro but still a 1080p tv. I sure as heck want the best picture once a do get my 4k tv(it's gonna be a good one lol). I could go get a $399 one from Walmart right now and the Pro would look fine on it I guess, but I'm waiting for the qled or oleds to drop to a reasonable price, and I'm gonna want a good gaming machine to go along with it(not to mention a good 4k player, for the 2 movies I may buy ha). Just my thoughts.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtito

@joshrmeyer said:

@kingtito: Yeah visually probably. Hopefully 60fps will be a norm or at least an option next gen though, and that'll be a big difference. I was mostly referring to specs on paper though. I think PS4 was something like 6 times as powerful as PS3? I can see PS5 being 6-8 times as powerful as PS4... On paper.

True, I agree on paper it'll be a huge leap. Visually not as much but hopefully more stable with 60 being the standard.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

cool with me. I'm happy with my systems, and have lots of games to play.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PAL360

@joshrmeyer: But that was probably said before PS4/X1/Switch surprise the world with 100+ million consoles sold in 4 years.

I remember a few years ago everyone saying that 8th gen would be about tablets, smartphones and PC. And how wrong they were. Current gen is the proof that a fairily powerful console with lots of dev support can be a success.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@quadknight: "COWS are users who are devout supporters of Sony's hardware. (The name comes from 6th gen characteristics where many accessories were needed to get the full experience, like the multi-tap, additional controllers, hard drives, eye toy, etc. This was called "milking" therefore getting the name "cows")"

Correction!

The name "cows" actually comes from Sony DRE fiasco where the early PS2s had that issue and many of the users would simply buy a new PS2 to get over the issue instead of dealing with Sony directly.

Xbox fans said that Sony fans were being "milked" into buying an new consoles because Sony wouldn't fix the issue on their end. Thus sony fans were dubbed "cows" for loving to be milked.

This type of "milkage" was ironically 5x worse and longer for xbox fans with the RROD on 360 with MS than it ever was with sony fans with PS2. The 360 was also ironically much worse than PS2 with add-ons like controllers battery packs, $100 for 20gig HHD, $200 HD-DVD add on, HDMI adapters, Kinect, and memory thumb dive.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@tgob89 said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Correction!

The name "cows" actually comes from Sony DRE fiasco where the early PS2s had that issue and many of the users would simply buy a new PS2 to get over the issue instead of dealing with Sony directly.

Xbox fans said that Sony fans were being "milked" into buying an new consoles because Sony wouldn't fix the issue on their end. Thus sony fans were dubbed "cows" for loving to be milked.

This type of "milkage" was ironically 5x worse and longer for xbox fans with the RROD on 360 with MS than it ever was with sony fans with PS2. The 360 was also ironically much worse than PS2 with add-ons like controllers battery packs, $100 for 20gig HHD, $200 HD-DVD add on, HDMI adapters, Kinect, and memory thumb dive.

the System Wars sticky says otherwise

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

I definitely don’t think that we’ll see the PS5 this year but I can see it coming out near the end of 2019.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#30 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'm still betting on 2020. Had the Pro never come out, I'd say 2019, but I think people will still be buying Pros next year, so Sony will want to ride that out a bit more.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

This is the most likely situation:

2020 release with a focus on 4K as the standard. Games will run at either 30 FPS or 60 FPS in 4K.

2021 release for PSVR2 with a focus on 4K per eye 120Hz. Games will run at 90Hz natively as a minimum.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Shewgenja: Seems like every time I stop into SW there is a new thread with PS5 details. I don't know who all the lems here are anymore, or what non sense they post. I never thought any company approaching 100 million consoles sold would be shook by Scorpio.

It was the cows that swore there was a World of difference between 1080p and 900p back in 2014-15. Lets not be dishonest like some didn't. Even Yoshida made a statement about it.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

2019 holiday. im calling it

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingtito

@tgob89 said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Correction!

Umm yeah not that's not correct. The name cows came from Sony fans being milked for accessories(HDD, network...ect) amongst other things they were told to buy.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

ps5 2020 + maybe 2021.

ps4 pro becomes base model (no mor slim)

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JoshRMeyer

@tgob89: Hey I'm just playing by the rules of gamespot... It's their definition, not mine.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@PAL360: Yeah, I think it was said when the Pro was announced... And they had to have been planning that for years before, so basically right after PS4 launched. I can understand their reasoning... PC does offer a better overall experience, especially for single player games(where no cheaters are). People are willing to pay twice as much for a better experience, so why not give them the option to stay with console(buy a Pro). Didn't exactly work out the way they planned... I say that because the CPU is the same, so fps is usually the same or slightly more stable. The X has the same problem too... Not sure why both companies didn't just put a better low end CPU in there mid-gen upgrades. So I doubt the Pro stopped anyone from going to PC lol.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

I told you that 2020 made the most sense for the PS5.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@PAL360: Yeah, I think it was said when the Pro was announced... And they had to have been planning that for years before, so basically right after PS4 launched. I can understand their reasoning... PC does offer a better overall experience, especially for single player games(where no cheaters are). People are willing to pay twice as much for a better experience, so why not give them the option to stay with console(buy a Pro). Didn't exactly work out the way they planned... I say that because the CPU is the same, so fps is usually the same or slightly more stable. The X has the same problem too... Not sure why both companies didn't just put a better low end CPU in there mid-gen upgrades. So I doubt the Pro stopped anyone from going to PC lol.

Because it would have cost more. People already complain about $500 being to expensive for a Console right now.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tgob89

@joshrmeyer said:

@tgob89: Hey I'm just playing by the rules of gamespot... It's their definition, not mine.

Yeah, but you have to realize SOMEONE wrote that. A person who may by all accounts be going of of 2nd hand info like "lemmings" are known to do.

I am telling you as a former Sega fanboy, turned Xbox fanboy who hated and blamed Sony for Sega's downfall and trolled Sony fans because of Xbox's power when there wasn't much else to brag with in the critical arena.

Think about it logically bro.

Wouldn't it be kinda hard to make such an argument relevant in the PS2 days?

I mean it's not like there were just numbers floating around about how many peripherals Sony fans bought vs other video game systems fans to make such a broad sweeping argument. It's nonsense if you really stop to think. Sony fans were branded cows during PS2 days!

The DRE however was a big quantitative and documented event that someone (like a fanboy) could use to create a negative narrative about and this was EARLY in PS2's life cycle not at the end. Lol at the idiots (not you) pointing to the SW sickie as a point of proof for events that doesn't make even logical sense. NO.

The "cow" narrative came from DRE, anything else was just latching onto that initial argument.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QuadKnight

@blueberry_bandit said:

This is the most likely situation:

2020 release with a focus on 4K as the standard. Games will run at either 30 FPS or 60 FPS in 4K.

2021 release for PSVR2 with a focus on 4K per eye 120Hz. Games will run at 90Hz natively as a minimum.

^ ^ I agree with this prediction.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@tgob89: Could be... I just played video games back then... Didn't have forums like this. Kinda miss it lol.

And back then, DRE was a rapping Dr.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tgob89

@joshrmeyer said:

@tgob89: Could be... I just played video games back then... Didn't have forums like this. Kinda miss it lol.

And back then, DRE was a rapping Dr.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's part of my point.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JoshRMeyer

@xhawk27: $399 at launch for Pro... Sony still made profit even at that price. So they could have either broke even, or sold at a loss... MS was already selling at a loss at $500, but having 60fps vs Pros 30fps would have been pretty big. Then again, we all know the real reason: parity between the base models and the upgrades. Plus devs might still go 30fps just being lazy.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@quadknight: 2021 is to late id say 2019 or 2020.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

A 2018 release never made any sense. My guess is still 2019 / 2020.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Announcement in early 2020 (I think PS4 was in Feb), and released holiday 2020.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

A recent online rumor got people buzzing about a possible 2018 release of PlayStation 5, but that’s probably not going to happen. In fact, from what we’ve heard, the next PlayStation is a ways away—it may not arrive until 2020.

It’s been nearly five years since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched, which has triggered bouts of nervousness and excitement among video game fans who want to know when they’ll have to start hoarding pennies for a new generation of consoles. The PS4 launched seven years after the PS3, the Xbox One eight years after the Xbox 360. It’s not unreasonable to be thinking about the next generation. We don’t have a concrete answer just yet, but we have been asking around, and what we’ve heard is a whole lot of uncertainty.

Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting. “On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward,” one person said. “At some point, Sony’s probably looked at every possible date. It’s all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware.” A surprise move by Microsoft or another competitor, for example, could trigger a change in plans.

Most of the developers I spoke to, via phone and email and text, said they had not heard anything about plans for a new PlayStation. Even employees at Sony’s first-party studios said they have not yet been briefed on the existence of a PlayStation 5. People across all the disciplines (design, art, engineering, etc.) at major studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond have told me that if there is information about the PS5 at their companies, they haven’t heard about it. (Those people said they haven’t heard about a new Xbox, either.)

In summary: There is information about the PlayStation 5 floating around at both first- and third-party companies, but it’s far more limited than it would be if the console’s release was imminent.

Last week, an article from a website called Semiaccurate alleged that a large number of PlayStation 5 development kits had gone out to game makers. The article also speculated that the console could be out by the end of 2018. This article is behind a paywall—“Pricing is $1,000 for a year’s worth of access”—but ResetEra rounded up some of the details. When I showed those details to one person familiar with Sony’s plans, they laughed. For the PlayStation 5 to be out this fall, they said, it would already be in manufacturing. (And if that was the case, it’d come as a big surprise to a lot of people who are making games for this fall and beyond.)

PlayStation 5 development kits are another question. A development kit is a proprietary piece of hardware that allows game-makers to build and optimize games for a specific console. It usually comes with proprietary software, too, such as a console’s operating system and other “debug” features that allow developers more access to the hardware than they’d have with a retail device. It’s possible to replicate a console’s development environment by using software on a computer, and these days, game engines like Unity and Unreal can facilitate that process, but in order to release games on the PlayStation, developers will ultimately need the tools and licenses provided by devkits. These development kits are especially useful for debugging and preparing for certification, the process that Sony uses to test and approve of new games.

But the term can be misleading. To say that “PS5 devkits” are out in the wild could mean several different things. “Super early devkits are often PCs with the CPU and GPU,” said a source familiar with Sony’s console development, referring to the processor and graphics card of the future machine. Early “development kits” might not resemble a PlayStation at all.

An early devkit “is a literal desktop tower—it doesn’t look like anything,” the source said. “First devkits are almost always that. They might have a custom motherboard or might literally be a PC. You want to get one or two of those out to the lead graphics programmer [of a studio] so they can see what’s possible, start planning what they can do in their game based on that. That’s early devkit stuff.”

As a result, before a new console is released, studios will typically work with multiple versions of development kits. One person who worked in a high role at a major game developer said that their company had received proper PS4 devkits, then code-named Orbis, about a year before the console launched in November 2013. Another person who worked for a major game studio said they were working with PCs dressed up as development kits around 18-24 months before the PS4 came out. The PlayStation 4, unlike its predecessor, was built with PC architecture, allowing more flexibility there.

If these early PS5 devkits are out at game studios now, they are likely extremely well-hidden. With earlier PlayStations, sources said, Sony had worked hard to keep development kits secret, even sometimes asking game studios to lock them in rooms where access was restricted to a select group of people.

Making things more complicated is the existence of Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro, upgraded versions of each respective console that have their own dedicated development kits. These “mid-generation” hardware refreshes suggest that Microsoft and Sony have taken a different approach to the current cycle of consoles, and it’s fair to wonder how they might influence future consoles. Those mid-gen upgraded consoles are still new. The Pro came out in November 2016, while Xbox One X released in November 2017.

What we’re hearing from developers is that most people expect Sony’s next console to be a PlayStation 5, a machine that runs games that won’t run on PS4, but that they don’t expect it for a while. At the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco last month, secondhand rumors I heard also suggested a 2020 release. Word from a few people was that in meetings between Sony and developers, representatives for the publisher had dropped vague hints about that 2020 timeframe. But it’s worth reiterating: When it comes to hardware, anything can change.

Sony did not respond to a request for comment.

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-playstation-5-is-still-a-ways-off-1825152206

So, there you have it. Looks like Sony was not as shook by the Scorpibone and you should feel bad for thinking they were. Don't run out there and trade your current PS4 just yet.

underlined comment negates your entire thread

LMAO

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@KBFloYd: Yeah, nevermind that they reached out to people and independently corroborated the same conclusion across multiple resources including one that laughed because PS5 would be flying out of factories by now if the original rumor was true... You got us all there, dude. Sony did not comment on an issue that affects the sales of their current hardware. Way to go Inspector Gadget.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@KBFloYd: Yeah, nevermind that they reached out to people and independently corroborated the same conclusion across multiple resources including one that laughed because PS5 would be flying out of factories by now if the original rumor was true... You got us all there, dude. Sony did not comment on an issue that affects the sales of their current hardware. Way to go Inspector Gadget.

sounds like you XD yourself in your own OP and now relying on opinions of others to validate your thread

lmao