Sony's Shawn Layden states a true next generation (PS5) will happen - Won't continue iterative approach w/ PS4 - PS4Pro

• 197 results
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@kingtito: I literally started my post by stating it was speculation.

Mixed with statements addressed as fact. That's the way it came off but I get what you're saying and why.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@kingtito: I didn't want to open the can of worms called "MS says one thing and does another." I'm still salty over that Crackdown non-reveal. So, I premised my argument around MS being genuine in its assertion that they want to go iterative.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@kingtito: I didn't want to open the can of worms called "MS says one thing and does another." I'm still salty over that Crackdown non-reveal. So, I premised my argument around MS being genuine in its assertion that they want to go iterative.

I understand, I'm just saying that even if they went that route there isn't anything that would stop them from creating their next console to be just as powerful as a PS5. We'll find out in time.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

yea PS5 will happen...just not until 2020 & later... :P

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

That's actually a little disappointing. The iterative approach kind of forces backwards compatibility on the consoles.

NeonicTrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By NeonicTrash
Member since 2010 • 549 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

The Microsoft model will never work, forward compatibility is a stupid idea. no one is going to pay $400-500 every few years to play 10 year old games with AA and faster frame rates.

Forward compatibility limits devs ambitions, requires them to put in extra work for little reason, and confuses consumers.

You can't just keep throwing in some type of boost mode each gen, so you can keep providing games for the original Xbox One. Phones have a shelf life of about 5 years before being dropped by the handset makers, consoles last longer with just one model. 3 years + 1 year of cross gen games is more than enough time for Pro + Scorpio.

Few years is very vague wording and also, inaccurate. X1 is in its 4th year and still receiving full software support. There's no indication it's going to stop receiving that support within the next 3-4 years. It seems likely its mainline software support lifespan will at least match that of the approximately 8 year software lifespan of the 360.

Last gen is generally acknowledged as not only the longest console gen, but also that it was bad for evolution of gaming tech that it lasted so long without specs ever improving. MS is creating a new console releasing framework where your giving the consumer a little more than 4-6 years to upgrade to a new console so they can keep playing new AAAs for longer, your not forcing people to reset to 0 on their software library, and your not making devs start from square 1 with a new architecture. Things like UWP, continued backwards compatibility, and iterative console releases bring new specs within 3-4 years for those that want better visuals and performance, then 5-8 years after a base console release (X1) you can phase out mainline software support for the older machine, make the higher spec console your lower spec base console, then release a new, higher spec console.

It seems perfectly logical and economical to me. Seems a lot better than your library becoming obsolete, useless, and locked down to abandoned consoles, and having to wait for devs to get used to a totally new console design to develop for, with years of waiting before they can optimize and fully take advantage of the hardware.

The 360 existing and getting GTA 5 and Shadow Of Mordor developed for it didn't hold back the X1/PS4/PC versions. The current gen versions are visually higher fidelity and more robust, better game playing experiences.

Don't be mad just cause Sony half assed the Pro and about 3 years max is all the AAAs they can probably get out of it. MS built a machine in the X1X with actual longevity. Backwards compatibility going back 2 gens+forward compatibility through till the next Xbox, they're setting a standard that will only make Sony look bad if they don't follow suit.

NeonicTrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By NeonicTrash
Member since 2010 • 549 Posts

@quadknight said:

This was pretty obvious to anyone who wasn't deep in Phil Spencer's bullshit. Forward compatibility is a stupid idea because it holds devs back. We'll eventually have to leave this gen due to power limitations. MS was just making a lot of noise to deceive lems when they said generations were over. It may be over for them since Xbone is a flop but it isn't over for Sony the market leader. With that said, I hope the PS5 is BC since it will most likely be using the same x86 architecture as the PS4. Not launching with BC inbuilt into the PS5 would be a big mistake IMO.

This guy. Yeah, forward compatibility holds devs back just like PC GPUs that came out in 2014 are holding current GPUs back from getting more out of the same games. Except...it doesn't work that way at all and they're not.

Playstation users will have to leave the gen cause the Pro was half assed and Sony was already counting those PS5 profits when they put the machine together. You mean the power limitations of the Pro.

Wait, so now backward compatibility matters, and is important for Playstation? You were one of the people making fools of themselves in the X1 BC thread laughing to yourself at the erroneously posted usage statistic which were debunked later in that thread. Except you and the usual Xbox hating children were too stupid to keep reading the thread to read that part and kept shit posting as if the information was never invalidated, which it was.

Here's more hypocritical, backtracking, flip flopping Sony fanboy logic for Gordon Freeman to add to your web of lies and contradiction. When Xbox offers something free and consumer friendly its useless, desperation, and irrelevant. And it's okay for Playstation to re-release remaster after remaster, and charge for PSnow no matter what you already bought and own, and to give BC with early PS3 then take it away, but it's IMPORTANT PS5 has BC! That's freaking priceless.

Didn't you get the Sony exec memo? Who'd want to play those old PS4 games anyway?! They so ugly!

Market leader indeed.

The way Xbox has been KILLING it, making all the right moves and improving the platform, don't give a **** if they trail in sales for the next 10 years. Value is value, I'm not a stockholder and don't care how many others buy what I buy.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@ellos said:

We heard this from Cerny and he did stress cpu needs to change. They really did test cpu increases on the pro. Even MS cited compatibility on why they set up cpu in similar fashion for X1X. There has to be a next generation especially when it comes to cpu. I mean game logic has to get more complex with much bigger scenes and network as well. Compatibility and you cant really say the current console cpus are overkill like say pcs.

Another thing is Hardware is important for Sony's business. When ps4 family starts to slow down, they gotta refresh the gen. I feel like this is not going to be long. A Way Out dev will be happy lol. The big question is will ps5 play ps4 games.

If X1X has mobile ZEN and physics/AI simulation modeling was designed for quad core/8 threads ZEN with working 256 bit AVX v2 per CPU core, it would not fit on XBO's 7 core Jaguar at 1.75 Ghz.

Each ZEN CPU has 4 port 128 bit SSE. 2 ports with 128bit FMAC (both FADD and FMUL) and 2 port with 128bit FADD. The two ports combines to form 256 bit AVX. ZEN can execute 1 AVX with FMA3 and 1 AVX FADD. Intel Haswell can execute 2 AVX with FMA3.

AVX v2 introduces GPU style gather instructions that can populate it's 256 bit registers.

Each Jaguar CPU has 2 port 128 bit SSE. 1 ports with 128bit FADD and 1 port with 128bit FMUL. 256 bit AVX v1 on Jaguar is for forward compatibility with desktop CPUs, but they are 2 cycle throughput.

ZEN v2 is allocated for 7 nm process node and it's improvements are unknown, except it follows Intel's AVX road map.

Microsoft already engaged the desktop PC market with "full fat" Intel Skylake CPUs and selling NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU cards.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@NeonicTrash: You're a delusional clown. XboneX is trash and will be forgotten in 2 years when more powerful hardware releases. MS doesn't get to decide where the market is going, they are getting outsold and destroyed by both nintendo and MS. XboneX is a lame ass excuse for a nextgen console, a failed attempt to reset because they are getting pounded by PS4 this gen. Gamers will go to where the games are once PS5 releases.

The gen belongs to Sony, all you lems can do is cry and wait for it to be over. Forward compatibility is bullshit and you just gonna have to deal with it. ? Be prepared to buy another Xbox in a another 2 years after blowing $500 on the new Xflop.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@quadknight said:

@NeonicTrash: You're delusional clown. XboneX is trash and will be forgotten in 2 years when more powerful hardware releases. MS doesn't get to decide where the market is going, they are getting outsold and destroyed by both nintendo and MS. XboneX is a lame ass excuse for a nextgen console, a failed attempt to reset because they are getting pounded by PS4. Gamers will go to where the games are once PS5 releases.

The gen belongs to Sony, all you lems can do is cry and wait for it to be over. Forward compatibility is bullshit and you just gonna have to deal with it. ? Be prepared to buy another Xbox in a another 2 years after blowing $500 on the new Xflop.

X1X dev kit already has 24 GB memory storage and MS is already placing the ground work for the next Xbox. Mainstream 7 nm ZEN and NAVI 11 hasn't arrived.

Historically, MS spends on larger silicon budgets when compared to Sony's record.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#61 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@FastRobby:

Why do people even care about backwards compatibility? Did you buy a ps4 to play ps3 games? Or an Xbox One to play Xbox 360 games? People buy new consoles to play new games! No newer console will ever play old games as well as the original, that's why we keep the old consoles.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@FastRobby: PS4 doesn't have bc and it's absolutely dominating, not sure why that would change if the series thing happened with the PS5. You trolls really need to give it a rest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@vfighter: it's not dominating because it doesn't have BC. In case of the One BC came to late to turn the tides. If Sony and Microsoft would release a new console at the same time, I'm sure that BC will play a role in marketing and how the media will perceive it.

I find it really weird that some people here are saying BC is a bad thing for gaming. When it has so much value.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@killered3: Personally it's useful for me if I ever want to visit earlier games I haven't played or wish to play again while not wanting to keep two consoles plugged in. It's convenient and it also opens up your library that little bit more.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

I'd rather iterative consoles. I don't care what "hardcore" gamers young enough to be my kids want I.e. : long generations.

I want new consoles like the pro and x1 when hardware advances allow. The choice is with the consumer to upgrade or not.

I don't care about the BC argument. It's as stupid as the Forza/GT ones because it's about as high up on a list of reasons to own a console as a damn racing game is.

If it's there good if not I won't notice.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#66 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Looks like Sony is running scared. I don't blame them. They keep dropping the ball, and now they dropped all their balls, lol.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I hope it's not coming soon, beating XboneX in power isn't worth it. Keep the games coming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

As long as its fully backwards compatible its fine.

But if they use the "its next gen, so no you need to rebuy the games again" I call utter bullshit.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Can't wait to buy all ps4 games as remasters

Pretty much while XB2 owners get Xbox, XB360 and XB1 games for FREE with Enhancements.

The Cows Love getting Milked by their Over Lord Sony anyway.

I could see Sony releasing a 20 TF PS5 around 2021.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

As long as its fully backwards compatible its fine.

But if they use the "its next gen, so no you need to rebuy the games again" I call utter bullshit.

I agree but I think there is 0 chance of PS5 not being backward compatible, it's just too much of a risk to not have it vs having it.

The PS4 didn't have BC because of functionality difficulties of PS3s exotic cell processor and it wasn't worth the financial hit to production. ]

With X86 arch that is no longer an issue and I'm sure Sony is smart enough to realize that the knowledge of gamers knowing that they keep their library moving forward from the PS4 to PS5 is a bigger sales push than a sales strategy leaving BC out and lose potential buyers who would have upgraded otherwise from the huge pool of current PS4 owners.

At the very least I expect the digital PSN library to completely compatible to PS5 if the physical disks are not and that works for me since most of my titles are bought through PSN.

My only question about BC would be if they could somehow "also" add PS3 games thru brute force of a more powerful system.

I think it's funny for anyone to even entertain the idea that PS5 wont have PS4 game compatibility, it's too much money for Sony to loose by not having it. They made PS4 Pro just to make PS4's generation last longer, there is no way they'd just that off all that work just to release a new system and have to start from 0 lol.

It's funny when you really think about it.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

The problem that the PS4 Pro, and especially the XBX has created for Sony is cost.

The PS5 will be expected to be a generational step ahead of the current consoles when it's released. That is literally impossible to do in the next 2-3 years without it costing a fortune at launch. Sony's either going to have to take a big loss per unit, or charge over $600 for the PS5.

I wouldn't expect the PS5 anytime soon.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Bc on PS5?? Not something I care, just have some nice exclusives ready for launch and that will be nice.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#73 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@Desmonic: I believe PS5 Will have bc with all PS4 games. Hardware wise i'm sure it would not be a problem, and it would be very stupid to give up of the massive library PS4 already has.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@Shewgenja: so you are suggesting that Sony will actually go backwards and gimp themselves. If they go for something different and power and it's not x86 they will almost certainly loose the ability to have BC. So PS5 would be starting from scratch, getting the install base, MS would be sitting there as the console install base leader, as well as being able to release a console that is more powerful than X1X down the road and making X1X the low end system and having "whatever" be the better strong system rivaling PS5. Sony would be pretty dumb or ballsy to pull that move.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lexxluger

@xxyetixx said:

@Shewgenja: so you are suggesting that Sony will actually go backwards and gimp themselves. If they go for something different and power and it's not x86 they will almost certainly loose the ability to have BC. So PS5 would be starting from scratch, getting the install base, MS would be sitting there as the console install base leader, as well as being able to release a console that is more powerful than X1X down the road and making X1X the low end system and having "whatever" be the better strong system rivaling PS5. Sony would be pretty dumb or ballsy to pull that move.

Very smart post which kind of highlights what I said. Sony would have to be suicidal to not have BC in PS5.

No BC in PS5 would be the biggest self-ownage move since MS attempted to market a No used games, DRM focused, online-only console to gamers at $500.

There is higher of a chance of a PS5 NOT happening at all than for PS5 to not have BC with PS4.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#76 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

The PS5 won't be out until at least 2020. Have fun until then. lol

As always, greatness awaits.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Shewgenja

@lexxluger: @xxyetixx: Guys, they have PSNow. They will always leverage that. Where were you when the 600/500 dollar ps3 had infinite backwards compatibility to two of the largest gaming libraries the world had ever seen?

You're both grandstanding on a feature that has never demonstrated value in the console gaming market. Even if all 30 million of you stamp the bleachers, you won't drown out the sound of facts. It would seem your memory capacity for what does and doesn't work begins and ends with 2014. And you don't even have full BC yourselves while demanding it from Sony? Gtfo with the bush league shit.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Good I'm glad I didn't buy a pro then

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 lexxluger

@speedfog said:
@xhawk27 said:

The PS5 won't be out until at least 2020. Have fun until then. lol

As always, greatness awaits.

Both of those statements are kind of funny knowing the AAA line up of games Sony has produced on PS4 so far this year and E3 confirming it will have an even bigger stack of AAA titles releasing in 2018.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

Why do people still care about BC?

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By lexxluger

@Shewgenja said:

@lexxluger: @xxyetixx: Guys, they have PSNow. They will always leverage that. Where were you when the 600/500 dollar ps3 had infinite backwards compatibility to two of the largest gaming libraries the world had ever seen?

You're both grandstanding on a feature that has never demonstrated value in the console gaming market. Even if all 30 million of you stamp the bleachers, you won't drown out the sound of facts. It would seem your memory capacity for what does and doesn't work begins and ends with 2014. And you don't even have full BC yourselves while demanding it from Sony? Gtfo with the bush league shit.

lol, do you know me?

I bought the PS3 fat FYI and think it's the best playstation console ever with one of the primary reasons being it's full BC support out of the box. The cut down BC-less PS3 was never even a consideration for me.

I gave sony a Pass on BC with PS4 ONLY because we all know of the functionality issues it would have had with going forward with a better design and more so to speak to the larger gaming community, Xbox's BC was an after-thought and neither PS4 nor X1 had BC out of the box so there was really no better options for gamers coming into this gen if they wanted an HD console.

Your argument has a bunch of failed logic.

1. This isn't he beginning of the gen when neither system had options for BC
  2. PSNow is a service, a PAID service, which has absolutely no attachment to any specific device and therefore no advantage to PS5 concerning a person who has a current library of PS4 games.
  3. Value in the market is determined by demand and something that was not valuable in the market at one time can change at another.

How much do you think 1080p TVs are going to run you now that 4k sets have flooded the market? Just wondering would you pay the same for a 4k as a 1080? Probably not.

Remember when Nintendo and Sony offered free online and only MS charged? Yeah those were the days huh?

Stop living in the past and realize that competition drives the market and if something is pushed hard enough (like 4k which no one care about 2 years ago) it can create demand.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 lexxluger
@Randoggy said:

Why do people still care about BC?

because companies have the ability to make it happen?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Shewgenja

@lexxluger: I'd rather not have a future tethered to the past. If PS5 has "Super Cell" that's easier to code for in an APU format that has stacked GDDR6 on-die with a relevant GPU from NVidia, I could reasonably expect there to be problems running PS4 games but also watch MS and Nintendo shit kittens waiting for standard X86 apu design to catch up in any meaningful way in terms of performance.

Xxyte postulated that such a thing would be regressive of Sony to do. Do you?

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 xxyetixx

@Shewgenja: I'm not even grandstanding on BC, if PS5 went the direction of experimenting and doing something different to be more powerful i.e. The cell 2 or something. Not only do they lose BC but they start all over again. Zero install base, devs starting from scratch to makes games for it, while also making the same games for PS4/Pro and X1X. Sony would be forfeiting the market share to MS, as much as the cows seem to enjoy saying "console sales leader", "largest install base" they would be handing that over to MS if MS continues this forward compatible mini PC route. That guarantees 3rd party deals for MS, that guarantees games being made for the console with the largest install base being made there first.

As for your where was I for PS3, I was out at $600 and taking a year longer to drop over the 360. I was waiting patiently and anticipating its release, then the announcement happened and I snagged a 360.

BC made it easier for me to pull the trigger on a Wii and WiiU all my kids games just worked. BC is just good, even if "no one uses it" or "rarely uses it". It's just there if you want it, a safety net if you will. It's doesn't matter if this console doesn't launch with a game your excited about cause you can still play "this game you love". And people might or might not, then they will move on playing all the new releases and may or may not ever use it again to revisit something. It's a better feature to have and not use, than to want it and have to pay for it or not get it at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#85  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Good. This mid-gen upgrades are a stupid idea. Gamers arent like phone users. Gamers buy new consoles to play games they cant in a previous generation, not to play the same games but with a better performance. For that, gamers would stick with PC gaming

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 lexxluger

@Shewgenja said:

@lexxluger: I'd rather not have a future tethered to the past. If PS5 has "Super Cell" that's easier to code for in an APU format that has stacked GDDR6 on-die with a relevant GPU from NVidia, I could reasonably expect there to be problems running PS4 games but also watch MS and Nintendo shit kittens waiting for standard X86 apu design to catch up in any meaningful way in terms of performance.

Xxyte postulated that such a thing would be regressive of Sony to do. Do you?

Yes I do.

It would be the most idiotic thing Sony could do to sabotage themselves from a consumer market standpoint and if by some chance they actually do through with NOT including BC in PS5 I'll laugh my ass off at the arrogance and balls of Sony and Never touch a PS5 until 4 or 5 years down and only used as to not give Sony any profits.

To make my view point clear. NEITHER PS4 nor X1 had BC as an option coming into this gen basically setting BOTH Sony and MS at 0 when starting this generation. It's not the same situation 'now' however.

Sony intended to extend PS4's life span by launching the PS4 Pro because of how amazing they'd done with the market saturation and POWER that comes from being the market leader. If Sony launched a new console WITHOUT BC they loose...ALL of that and have to start from 0 all over again, this also would effectively make MS the market leader over Sony in one fell swoop.

lol it would be hilariously disastrous for them with all the work they've do so far to secure PS4 as the market leader, but I honestly think there is 0% chance of this happening because I'm sure Sony understands this fact well enough by the mere existence of PS4 Pro.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#87  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

@Vatusus: lolwut. I buy new consoles/PCs to play all my games. In a digital age where you can have libraries that cover many years, my new product better work with other shit I bought through their online store.

EDIT: The mid-gen cycle provides choice, something console gamers don't typically have.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By lexxluger

@CRUSHER88 said:

@Vatusus: lolwut. I buy new consoles/PCs to play all my games. In a digital age where you can have libraries that cover many years, my new product better fucking work with other shit I bought through their online store.

That's my main point.

My biggest gripe with Sony and PS4 this gen is that stuff I bought on PSN (which should be a unified network) for PS3 doesn't translate over to PS4.

They had the excuse of the PS3's exotic hardware to serve as a way out of not having people play content they bought on their store this gen but that isn't going to work anymore going forward.

They absolutely have no way out of not making games which were bought through their network to not compatible to any hardware going forward, it would be suicide.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Mid gen upgrades are awesome as long as all my games transfer. I would argue we have had mid gen upgrades for quite a while with Slim's and redesigns. This time however we actually got more powerful tech.

I will also LOL if Sony comes out with a PS5 that is not BC like they did with the 4.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

When this gen started, I never ever care about the lack of BC at all. When I buy a new console, I expect to play new games for that console, not the past games and if I wanted to go play my old games, my PC can do that for me or just unboxed my console to play that exclusive old game if I need to.

I couldn't careless if PS5 has BC, I just want to play something new and that's it.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 xxyetixx

@Shewgenja: come One now you've even said it your self to put down Xbox One X, power isn't everything. If Sony does what you said and makes a totally different architecture they will fall behind and MS and PC will move forward.

There doesn't seem to be any reward on Sony's end if they go this route only risk. I think MS's goal is to continue this forward compatible PC like route while phasing out the lowest model and replacing it with a higher spec'd console i.e. Xbox One S and Xbox One X 4 years from now Xbox One S gone Xbox One X becomes lowest and Xbox "whatever" becomes high end. So MS would already have the advantage of an existing user base, add that with PC that uses the same architecture and the push MS is having for play anywhere and Xbox becoming a PC machine, Sony will be regressing, and would be an inconvenience to Devs and publish

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 xxyetixx

@lexxluger: I really don't understand that absolute hate they are trying to give BC. In this day and age of digital purchases it's an even better feature.

My ready to install list grows all the time and every now and again something will pop up that I completely forgot about or didn't give any proper amount of time to it.

Anyone of these people jumping through the hurdles to dismiss BC is mind boggling. It's free, you don't have to use, you don't have to like it. I mean is it really called BC anymore, if MS is trying to break the generation mold and make everything work forward and back. What do they call a 10 year old game on PC, what's Crysis just an old game right, it's not a BC title. Fucking idiots ?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 kuu2

We have digital games now. You cant just say 'hey we are ceasing production of your console and your digital purchases will end life when your console does'.

That just doesn't work any longer in a digital age.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@davillain- said:

When this gen started, I never ever care about the lack of BC at all. When I buy a new console, I expect to play new games for that console, not the past games and if I wanted to go play my old games, my PC can do that for me or just unboxed my console to play that exclusive old game if I need to.

I couldn't careless if PS5 has BC, I just want to play something new and that's it.

Good for you. Others do like to play old games, hence the crazy amount of sales for remasters.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@kuu2 said:
@pinkanimal said:

@kuu2: Who's the one freaking out? The guy from Sony answering a question on an interview or you trying to spin some guy answering a question as desperation? You lemmings are starving for wins and it looks pathetic man.

Hahahahahahahaha..................

We have the biggest win. The most powerful console ever conceived.

Sony killing themselves and killing off the PS4.

So awesome!

Pro is out now, so till December, you have nothing, as always.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

yes we need powerful monsters consoles

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Shewgenja

@xxyetixx: Well, with risk comes opportunity. If Sony laps MSes "generationless" console with the PS5, you can bet your ass XBox will lose support. You can forget timed exclusives, marketing deals, and all that other malarky.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa: the Microsoft model workd very well actually.

In the Mary phone model, there is FC, however the older model becomes EOL.

The same case will happen with OG Xbox One and One S. They'll become EOL after the next Xbox console, Xbox One X will become the low end

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 kuu2

@daniel_su123 said:

@APiranhaAteMyVa: the Microsoft model workd very well actually.

In the Mary phone model, there is FC, however the older model becomes EOL.

The same case will happen with OG Xbox One and One S. They'll become EOL after the next Xbox console, Xbox One X will become the low end

Can't believe Cows are against this but they have always been on the wrong side of most things.

Pay For Game Service (Live)

Backwards Compat

VR (Worst use of resources ever)

No console iterations

All digital consoles

Atomolog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Atomolog
Member since 2016 • 195 Posts

what sony should do to win public favor:

Ps5 can read ps4 game disks

Ps5 need a powerful cpu not only gpu so it runs games at 60fps

No need for 4k hdr disk player for movies. (my opinion here is that xbox one x would have done better if used those resources in a better cpu.)

you cant run ps5 games on ps4 (so games wont be hold back by ps4)

lots of exclusives on day 1