Sony's refund policy is no April's fool.....

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Sony just announced their refund policies for digital purchases. Tbf, before today there wasn't one...as in there's no refunds.

If you preorder a game and it downloads, theres no refund even if you didnt play it.

If you preorder a game up to 14 days before launch, dont download it and ask for a refund the day after launch....theres no refunds.

The same applies to any avatar etc bought on the ps store...no refunds.

But wait, there is a scenario when you can get a refund....of sorts...

If a game is faulty, you get a refund with a caveat. You dont get your money back, you get credit in your ps wallet to spend on more ps stuff. If you leave auto download on you basically have no chance of a refund, which means Sony have rendered a positive feature into a negative....

Even if you dont download a game, you still only have 14 days to claim a refund, which again comes in the form of credit, not the actual currency you paid.

What say you people....are Sony still "For the gamers"?

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Sounds illegal in my country.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sealionact

@vagrantsnow: Depends what your country is. If your country has a ps store, that's the policies.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44558 Posts

If your account gets hacked and the person uses your credit card one file to purchases $2K worth of shit and you contest it Sony only gives you store credit, if you challenge it through the CC company they'll purge your account, including all your trophies and anything you owned digitally. I wonder what happens if an account gets hacked, someone else's credit card gets entered and used, and they contest charges... well, probably that person's account is fucked.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

@sealionact said:

@vagrantsnow: Depends what your country is. If your country has a ps store, that's the policies.

It would not be the first time a digital store front has run foul of the law.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Loldigital

Unless a game is on sale for dirt cheap digitally (under $10) there is no reason to ever buy games digitally. There is no benefit and you are supporting anti-consumer policies by doing so.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I've got an $80 refund after my daughter bought a game from my Vita. Wasn't store credit either.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

I've got an $80 refund after my daughter bought a game from my Vita. Wasn't store credit either.

right. that was old sony.

starting today is new sony.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sealionact

@NathanDrakeSwag: I buy most of my games physically. Saying that there is no reason to buy digitally is ignoring the negatives that physical media present.

Way bigger environmental issue, More likely to get damaged or lost, Simply having to switch discs and other minor issues like having to go to a store vs clicking "a".

None of the above or anything you posted has anything to do with the topic. Sonys poor practices extend beyond games.. as pointed out above in the case of fraud, or services such as psnow and plus.

Its bordering on criminal.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sealionact

@joshrmeyer: Really? When? These are Sonys policies as announced today...

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@KBFloYd: It's better than Nintendo's digital refund policy, which is "lol, no".

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@sealionact said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: I buy most of my games physically. Saying that there is no reason to buy digitally is ignoring the negatives that physical media present.

Way bigger environmental issue, More likely to get damaged or lost, Simply having to switch discs and other minor issues like having to go to a store vs clicking "a".

None of the above or anything you posted has anything to do with the topic. Sonys poor practices extend beyond games.. as pointed out above in the case of fraud, or services such as psnow and plus.

Its bordering on criminal.

Environmental issues are not my problem. Take care of your discs and put them back in the case when you're not using them and you won't break or lose them. The 10 seconds it takes to swap discs is worth it for ownership and resell value. I just sold my copy of Kingdom Hearts 3 for $40 to someone after I only paid $48 for it on release day. I was done with the game and made back nearly enough to buy another game. Had I bought it digitally I'd be stuck with a $60 (because you won't be getting discounts on digital games day 1) square on my UI that I'll never click again. Swapping discs is worth it.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sealionact

@fedor: Yet worse than Xbox which allows you to play for 2 hours and then gives you your actual money back.

Theres no defending this.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sealionact

@NathanDrakeSwag: Nothing you said negates the points I made about physical media, and again it has nothing to do with Sonys digital refund policy.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@sealionact: I wasn't defending it. KB was throwing stones in his glass house and I just wanted to let him know. All consoles have crap refund policies on digital. MS has the most favorable and its still far behind Steam's. Its why I only buy physical on consoles.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

MS has refunded me 3 games With no questions asked, never had an issue.

Sony is so anti consumer lately, shit is straight cancer

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Skeevy

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@sealionact: @KBFloYd: Ah ok... It was a few years ago. They said it was a one time refund back then. Guess now it's none at all.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

Owning a physical copy, you own it for life. Can that be the same for digital copies?

My concern with digital copies is whether I can sell my digital copies or whether the digital copies will work decades from now with new technology that has yet to be introduced.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Lol, what's the point then? Sounds ridiculous.

Anyway, Xbox is the same I think. They used to do refunds in certain circumstances... for example, I received a refund over the phone for Walking Dead Final Season (I had the season pass) when Telltale went bust because I thought I wouldn't get all the episodes. But recently they've introduced some system where you have to submit a form online only (you can't ring up anymore) and they'll determine whether you're eligible (I tried to get a refund for a game that kept crashing and ran like sh*t - and the devs were taking forever to fix it - and was rejected).

But I think it would be awesome if they all had a refund policy for "change of mind"... say, give you a day or two to try it (or a couple of hours of gameplay or something), and if you don't like it, you can get a refund (even if it's just XBL, PSN or eShop credit). I think it would encourage people to try games more and would probably increase sales. Anyway, wishful thinking.

@sealionact said:

@fedor: Yet worse than Xbox which allows you to play for 2 hours and then gives you your actual money back.

Theres no defending this.

They do? They use to do refunds in certain circumstances, but not anymore. They have some online refund system now.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Sounds like the same thing they had before tbh and I never need a refund from Sony because I research games before I buy them so I know what to expect anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

And people say all digital is the future, its a slippery slope that for me that only goes downhill.

I will never go digital and will stay physical to the bitter end.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sealionact

@davillain-: They didnt have a refund policy before. There were no refunds. Period.

Exception was if the game is faulty.

Their new policy has to be compared to Xbox, PC and Switch, and even though it's better than Nintendo's, refunds given in the form of store credit instead of the real world currency you paid with is extremely crappy.

Even if you personally never regret a purchase - which puts you firmly in the minority - you should know that if ever you're a victim of fraud, and someone purchases content using your account, you will only get store credit back.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sealionact

@i_p_daily: This applies to Sony's ps store and not digital as a whole. Xbox allows you to download the game, keep it for 14 days and ask for a refund if you played it for 2 hours or less.....that's better than physical. If a console maker developed a digital marketplace where you could sell your games at whatever price you want, I'd jump on it. As it is, I mix physical and digital purchases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sealionact said:

@i_p_daily: This applies to Sony's ps store and not digital as a whole. Xbox allows you to download the game, keep it for 14 days and ask for a refund if you played it for 2 hours or less.....that's better than physical. If a console maker developed a digital marketplace where you could sell your games at whatever price you want, I'd jump on it. As it is, I mix physical and digital purchases.

I don't think you get what i'm saying, Sony's store is ONLY digital, and if physical was to die then Sony's store would be the ONLY place where you could buy games for your PS console which makes it a monopoly, same as it would be on the Xbox store and thus you would be screwed when it comes to refunds and indeed pricing.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sealionact

@i_p_daily: I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is what Sony are offering is bad compared to xbox and PC. A digital store that let's you get your money back after deciding you dont like the game is already better than what you get if you buy a physical copy.....Sony dont allow that, xbox and PC does.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01

@sealionact said:

I don't know if this is true... like I said in my earlier post, I tried to get refunds on games before that were either sh*t or had technical problems, and they refused. They used to be more lenient, but they've changed their policy recently and are a lot more strict. I'm sceptical whether you'd get a refund for a game for "changed my mind" reasons.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@sealionact said:

@davillain-: They didnt have a refund policy before. There were no refunds. Period.

Exception was if the game is faulty.

Their new policy has to be compared to Xbox, PC and Switch, and even though it's better than Nintendo's, refunds given in the form of store credit instead of the real world currency you paid with is extremely crappy.

Even if you personally never regret a purchase - which puts you firmly in the minority - you should know that if ever you're a victim of fraud, and someone purchases content using your account, you will only get store credit back.

Really? I did remember Sony offer a refund on "No Man's Sky" launch due to the poor reception but Sony was open and admit it wasn't the best game, so they offer gamers a refund if you bought the digital version. I personally love the game myself and never took Sony's offering.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sealionact

@davillain-: Yup, but that changed as of the new policies yesterday, which coincided with Sony no longer selling vouchers by 3rd parties.

You wouldn't get a refund on nms now because it wasn't faulty....it didnt live up to promises made by the devs, but it ran fine.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sealionact

@hrt_rulz01: Its Microsofts policy. The refund after 2 hours play is not there to be abused though, so they can refuse if you're continually downloading games then demanding refunds after 2 hours.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01

@sealionact: Hmmm ok. Not my experience but ok.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sealionact said:

@i_p_daily: I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is what Sony are offering is bad compared to xbox and PC. A digital store that let's you get your money back after deciding you dont like the game is already better than what you get if you buy a physical copy.....Sony dont allow that, xbox and PC does.

Well Sony are arseholes and most people know this and they are far from "for the players" but in the end none of this bothers me as I don't own a Sony product and don't have to put up with their shit. I guess this is another case of

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Sounds bad. But not researching a game before you buy it is more bad.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@sealionact said:

Well Sony are arseholes and most people know this and they are far from "for the players" but in the end none of this bothers me as I don't own a Sony product and don't have to put up with their shit. I guess this is another case of

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

If you download a game, you should have to pay for it.. it's that simple. Once you agree to buy something.. that's it. If you weren't sure you wanted it or not, then you should have waited for more reviews, video, etc. I don't think refunds should go out to those who agreed to pay. It's not like it happens on accident.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Their return policy and customer service is shit.

My kid ordered a DLC character in SFV on accident bc she’s only 4 and I called to get a refund as I only had an hour in the game and barely play it.

They said that there is a one time customer return but with stipulations and that one return would be used to return this $8 DLC character.

I was like ok..that sounds shit.

Anyway I put the password on there now but still, they dicks when it comes to returns. MS and Nintendo are much better and forgiving.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Loldigital

Unless a game is on sale for dirt cheap digitally (under $10) there is no reason to ever buy games digitally. There is no benefit and you are supporting anti-consumer policies by doing so.

Only if you buy on the PS Store, lol. GOG is universally beneficial. For gamer and developer.