Sony's break apart pad idea returns, this time with Move bobbles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

Teh gimmicky? :o :P

Anyway, discuss if you wish.

The Story.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-30-sonys-break-apart-pad-idea-returns-this-time-with-move-bobbles

Sony's break apart pad idea returns, this time with Move bobbles

Bit gaudy but makes sense

Sony patented a "break apart" PS3 controller in 2008 but it never materialised; now Sony's doing similar - only this time with added bells and whistles.

The obvious speculation is whether this is what Sony's planning for PS4. (No! Bring back the tacky banana pad!)

The patent titled Hybrid Separable Motion Controller was filed in May last year and published 13th November this year.

banana

Oh whoops I've been sick again, although, you know, those extended grips may be needed for a break apart pad.

The most arresting part of the new design are the PlayStation Move-like bobbles on each shoulder of the pad. Otherwise the controller looks more or less identical to the DualShock 3 PS3 pad.

Each half of the controller can also feature motion-sensing technology like a gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetometer. That's on top of rumble, a speaker (apparently) and analogue stick/button inputs.

One set of pictures shows extended palm grips that more closely resemble the length of the Move controller than the DualShock 3 controller. The patent noted that a contoured and textured surface may be used to help grip the damn things and not fling them at your telly/friends. There's another hideous picture that showed wrist straps at the bottom of each half of the controller.

Most of the patent concerned the technology that would enable the pad to be broken apart and refitted, and ensure the linked console knew what the hell was going on. The actual practical gaming applications aren't really discussed in detail, but you can imagine what they might be.

In this patent's case, the pictures do the talking (via TheSixthAxis)

And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.

And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.And it shall henceforth be known as 'bobble shoulders'.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Ridiculous.

I hope I will have the option of using DualShock 3 with the PS4 with all games supporting it. Otherwise I may be a PC-only gamer.

But still, I'm going to wait until Sony announce the PS4 and its controller before making a final judgement.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
Sounds like a clusterf***.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice

Sounds like a clusterf***.nintendoboy16
I just shrugged my Bobble Shoulders. :twisted:

But yeah, I kinda agree but we'll just need to wait and see. :P

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
Sounds like a clusterf***.nintendoboy16
true but so many have complained about the DS not ever changing.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Awww yeah, hope it comes with the PS4 which we all know is a go, lock and loaded. Day fuking 1. Thank you Sony.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice

Awww yeah, hope it comes with the PS4 which we all know is a go, lock and loaded. Day fuking 1. Thank you Sony. Heil68
:lol: Oh You...

"shrugs Bobble Shoulders" :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Awww yeah, hope it comes with the PS4 which we all know is a go, lock and loaded. Day fuking 1. Thank you Sony. SecretPolice

I'll probably buy 2 and donate on to the library so more people can enjoy the wholesome goodness and the barn bursting amount of world class, high scoring games that it will enjoy.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Just gimme my dual shock...

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
get those balls away from my hands.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Just give me the Dualshock 4.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I'd rather have that stupid dualshock 4, which no doubt would be almost exact same thing as dualshock 3 but sh*ttier, which happened to be dualshock 2 with somehow sh*tty design, which in itself was dualshock 1 with analogs.
SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SectorSix6
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts
i dont want balls on my controller
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I don't get it. What's the point of this controller? Why would I want a controller that I can take apart and have two controller pieces?
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I don't get it. What's the point of this controller? Why would I want a controller that I can take apart and have two controller pieces? AmazonTreeBoa
hey yo i herd u liek controllas so we put controller in yo controller so u can waggle while u waggle.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice

I don't get it. What's the point of this controller? Why would I want a controller that I can take apart and have two controller pieces? AmazonTreeBoa
The bobbles man, motion control, one for each hand. :P

Daves_Alt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Daves_Alt
Member since 2012 • 43 Posts
INB4 Nintendo/Microsoft copies like they always do
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

why so much insistence in adding motion sensing to a traditional controller when is obvious that it will not work? Current controllers have enough buttons as it is anyway and something like this would only make thing more complicated.

Sony should keep doing what they been doing while evolving the PS Eye and Move controller and forget about everything else. Then they'll have 3 different controllers: one for the traditionalist, one for those that like to to jump and do stupid stuff and another one for those that prefer something in the middle with buttons and motion sensing with the Move.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Well, at least it doesn't look like an adult novelty product.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Yep, your thread is better.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

cows avoiding this thread like the plague

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNbsQqmXxrDUieamO0aU3

TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Awww yeah, hope it comes with the PS4 which we all know is a go, lock and loaded. Day fuking 1. Thank you Sony. Heil68

I'll probably buy 2 and donate on to the library so more people can enjoy the wholesome goodness and the barn bursting amount of world class, high scoring games that it will enjoy.

You're buying Kuraimen his first console? That's so nice of you! Anyway, meh @ the controller.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

It is an interesting concept for sure that solves the requirement for console owners to purchase both motion and non-motion controllers. Those two spheres look rediculious though, I mean really, who thought that looked even passable? It looks ****ing silly and stupid. Get rid of those and the controller will look decent.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts
Another day, another tech patent, whats new ?
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I don't get it. What's the point of this controller? Why would I want a controller that I can take apart and have two controller pieces? funsohng
hey yo i herd u liek controllas so we put controller in yo controller so u can waggle while u waggle.

Again, but in English this time.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#26 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i was just about to post this , thanks for saving me the effort,

any how something sounds familiar--- speaker inbedded into the remote sounds like sony ripping more ideas off the wii mote well at least wii u has two stereo speakers instead of just one mono speaker lol sony a gen behind confirmed next gen haha

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Just gimme my dual shock...

el3m2tigre

This... if Sony forces me to play with that crap, I'm switching to some other console.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

They aren't taking this idea as seriously as you guys. It's just a patent. It probably won't surface, but it's always handy to have a patent for it just incase.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
It's so they can have the traditional controller intact while also having it serve as a motion controller when needed. That way, they don't have to sell many different times of controllers to separate the traditional-controlled games from the motion-controlled games. Not at all a hard concept to understand.
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

:lol: How "innovative"

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
I could've sworn we've seen them play with the break apart Move idea before. Oh well. Even if this is a new concept it's not likely to show up by ore than their other split controller concepts have. And if it Does make it, it's not anymore likely to make it into my collection than the original Move. :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
get those balls away from my hands.campzor
I lol'd. Anyways, I wonder if they left room to stick a tablet screen between those? ...just give me a f*cking dualshock Sony. You do that instead of trying to pull the same shenanigans we have rumoured from MS, and you'll be golden.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Actually, from years of wii, I can tell you that having each hand seperate is a super comfortable way to play. Very relaxing.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
It's still a good idea, but the globes make it clunky. How about they swap them out for IR sensors and we take a break from wands this generation?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

:lol: How "innovative"

ninjapirate2000
Yeah, what a shameless knockoff of Nintendo's break-apart controller.
Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts
It's a nice conceptual design. I doubt they are going to include the balls maybe replace it with a different shape... The whinning and the b|tching will happen and judging by the comments, I'm not wrong.
Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

it's a good why to try and get multiplatted games that the Kintect would have, with the Xbox 720 speculated to have kintect 2.0 built in. It makes sense for sony to build in the playstation eye and incorporate it all into one controller. with dual points of reference for the eye it would theoreticallybe better than the kinect and isn't that what a console company tries to do?

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
They're trying to figure out how to copy Nintendo without making it too obvious.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
I hate the gimmick part but kind of make sense,both controllers in one core and casual,eliminating fragmentation because all PS4 would have one,one controller standard. Is like having move with the nun chuck build in + a dual shock,i see some people complaining about this but is brilliant cost effectiveness and eliminate fragmentation,and as long as the DS design remain i am ok with it.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

i was just about to post this , thanks for saving me the effort,

any how something sounds familiar--- speaker inbedded into the remote sounds like sony ripping more ideas off the wii mote well at least wii u has two stereo speakers instead of just one mono speaker lol sony a gen behind confirmed next gen haha

mariokart64fan
Yeah because Nintendo did no pull the wii u tablet from the PS3 PSP interaction.. Any way nintendo is credit with motion when MS on PC had a motion control before the Gamecube even existed let alone the wii.. There will always be imitation on the industry get use to it,it happen on all markets.