Sony won this gen, should they stop releasing exclusives?

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

So, it's no secret Sony has an insane amount of exclusives left and we don't know if they are releasing in 2019 or 2020. However, the PS4 is still destroying the Xbox ONE in worldwide sales... so the question is. Should Sony simply release whatever exclusives they have left for the PS5's launch window? I mean they've pretty much won this gen and could rely on some multiplats to finish off the Ps4's lifecycle.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I think that's basically what they're going to do outside of a couple of games such as Days Gone and Dreams.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

I think The Last Of Us 2 should close out the gen, just like the first one did with last gen. Other than that, I hope Death Stranding comes out before PS5.

Zeggelaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 Zeggelaar
Member since 2017 • 181 Posts

I guess it would make sense business wise, release some strong exclusives with the PS5 to try and start the next gen off strong. Xbox will have to pull something off as well than if they they don't want to fall behind again

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I hope they save games like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or even Spiderman 2 as a launch tittle for PS5!

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Whatever games they have in the pipeline at this point will likely be cross gen games.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@blackballs said:

So, it's no secret Sony has an insane amount of exclusives left and we don't know if they are releasing in 2019 or 2020. However, the PS4 is still destroying the Xbox ONE in worldwide sales... so the question is. Should Sony simply release whatever exclusives they have left for the PS5's launch window? I mean they've pretty much won this gen and could rely on some multiplats to finish off the Ps4's lifecycle.

PC won this gen. It is currently first place at MC and GS, it won this gen by SW standards with a huge 100 point margin. If you mean software gaming sales and hardware gaming sale, PC also won that in spades.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Whatever games they have in the pipeline at this point will likely be cross gen games.

Well, Last of Us 2 is probably cross gen, and I'm sure they go back and port a number of others to PS5. But I doubt too many totally unannounced games would be cross gen. I guess it's bit of a balancing act, between selling a new console and maximizing the # of sales. But I think with the "PS5 exclusive" they would lean towards the former.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@mandzilla said:

I think that's basically what they're going to do outside of a couple of games such as Days Gone and Dreams.

Pretty Much.

I also suspect they will release 1 AAA title at the end of 2019 to hold fans over, probably Ghosts of Tsushima.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

PC won this gen. It is currently first place at MC and GS, it won this gen by SW standards with a huge 100 point margin. If you mean software gaming sales and hardware gaming sale, PC also won that in spades.

PC ain't a console broskie. Sony won the console war.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlackBalls

@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

Call me when the PC has AAA exclusives and one that scores a 10/10.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

They won, hands down. But ask youselves. What will they launch the PS5 with? Games you can get on the old? Then why buy the new? Why Rush to buy unless you are hardcore?

They have nothing else to launch with without Ghosts of Tushie smellers (That is the exact translation) and LOFU2 and you you can probably through in Kojima's next failure as well.

You Cows got played!

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

I hope they save games like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or even Spiderman 2 as a launch tittle for PS5!

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 seems like a dream come true at this point. I love this game and want to replay it on the hardest difficulty really bad but just too many new unbeaten games in my backlog smh

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/return-of-the-obra-dinn-review/

100/100 score

AAAA exclusive

Even won a GOTY title

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zaryia
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

But that wan't your thread title.

You said "Sony won the gen". But PC currently is winning the gen, in a landslide (like TRUMP).

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

Lol, hermit delusion for all the see.

PC...."gamers" are the losers this gen with nothing to show for. Where are all those high scoring AAA exclusives hermit? Only thing you got this gen was getting ripped off by Nvidia, shitty ports after begging, shovelware and garbage indie exclusives.

Truth is you missed out on the best games this gen had to offer just because you're a bunch of graphics whores. Keep on begging for RDR2 boy, PC is and will always be an after thought as long as consoles exist.

Now get back in your place, the place where PC gaming exists, Irrelevancy.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonsieurX

@knight-k said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

PC...."gamers" are the losers this gen with nothing to show for. Where are all those high scoring AAA exclusives hermit? Only thing you got this gen was getting ripped off by Nvidia, shitty ports after begging, shovelware and garbage indie exclusives.

Truth is you missed out on the best games this gen had to offer just because you're a bunch of graphics whores. Keep on begging for RDR2 boy, PC is and will always be an after thought as long as consoles exist.

Now get back in your place, the place where PC gaming exists, Irrelevancy.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlackBalls

@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

You said "Sony won the gen". But PC currently is winning the gen, in a landslide (like TRUMP).

If anything this gen PC is basically and indie/multiplat machine. People basically spend $3,000 on a rig to play indies and multiplats that slightly look better.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

If anything this gen PC is basically and indie/multiplat machine. People basically spend $3,000 on a rig to play indies and multiplats that slightly look better.

When they could spend less and go to the real home of Indies, the Nintendo switch.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

I think the games coming this year and after will be cross gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

They've got such a big lead they don't need anything but there dropping bombsa like last of us 2 ghosts of tshuma and days gone and that game with nordon reedus

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tgob89

@that_old_guy said:

I think the games coming this year and after will be cross gen.

Basically every AAA game that gets released now (exclusives and multiplat) is going to be cross gen compatible. The question is which cross-gen games will Sony use to push PS5 at launch. The most likely candidate is TLOU2.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zaryia
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

When they could spend less and go to the real home of Indies, the Nintendo switch.

Goal post move by Blackballs. He was proven wrong for Sony winning the gen, now he is making up rules like Indy and Multiplats (aka most games) not counting.

1. PC has the most big and medium budget games total this gen. This includes several games that do not go onto PS, or several games that do not go to XB. This also includes non-indy RTS, ARPG, MOBAs, MMOS, SIM, and TBS games. PC gets the most games. Total War, Civilization, Stellaris, Hunt, BFA, Path of Fire, etc. are not Indy.

2. PC has the most indy games this gen (as you lamented) as well.

3. It does not cost $3000 to easily beat a PS4.

4. Multiplats (most games) do not just slightly look and run better on PC. Digital Foundry disagrees with this false talking point.

5. He forgot about PC's insanely superior Online.

People spend $1000~ for a great PC (which is winning this gen, factually speaking) for the better version of over 90% of video games (multiplats), best gfx, best fps, best and most indys, exclusive genres with big/medium budget games such as MMO, RTS, MOBA, and SIM, and by far the best online.

TLDR: First Place Race.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zaryia
@knight-k said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

No I'm not. Would you like an official GS and MC tally for this gen?

PC won going by every gen rule we used here since the forum opened.

@knight-k said:

1. Why "gamer" in quotations? PC has the most competitive and high skill cap games/genres by far, and have a 99% hold on E-sports. Do gamers only play movie games designed for people who have never gamed before?

2. Huh? PC has the most AAA video games this gen.

3. Shitty ports? DIgital Foundry said almost every video game on PS4 is better played on PC....

@knight-k said:

PC gaming exists, Irrelevancy.

Most games, most developers, the most gamers, the most gaming software revenue, and gaming hardware revenue......

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BlackBalls
@MonsieurX said:
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

100/100 score

AAAA exclusive

Even won a GOTY title

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/return-of-the-obra-dinn

Nice try 88/100. Your source is a no name site that doesn't even appear on Metacritic same as that GOTY award. Lol herms desperate for anything they can get. Breadcrums.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BlackBalls

@zaryia said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

Goal post move by Blackballs. He was proven wrong for Sony winning the gen, now he is making up rules like Indy and Multiplats (aka most games) not counting.

1. PC has the most big and medium budget games total this gen. This includes several games that do not go onto PS, or several games that do not go to XB. This also includes non-indy RTS, ARPG, MOBAs, MMOS, SIM, and TBS games. PC gets the most games. Total War, Civilization, Stellaris, Hunt, BFA, Path of Fire, etc. are not Indy.

2. PC has the most indy games this gen (as you lamented) as well.

3. It does not cost $3000 to easily beat a PS4.

4. Multiplats (most games) do not just slightly look and run better on PC. Digital Foundry disagrees with this false talking point.

5. He forgot about PC's insanely superior Online.

People spend $1000~ for a great PC (which is winning this gen, factually speaking) for the better version of over 90% of video games (multiplats), best gfx, best fps, best and most indys, exclusive genres with big/medium budget games such as MMO, RTS, MOBA, and SIM, and by far the best online.

TLDR: First Place Race.

Sony did win this gen. Other than some vocal minority, nobody talks about the PC anymore. It's a second system for indies and multiplats months after they get released on consoles - i call it the garbage bin or breadcrum system. FYI the PS4 had the most AAA exclusives + GOTY's. The PC can't even come close.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I have a feeling TLOU 2 is going to be Sony's Breath of the Wild. They're going to wait to release it on PS4 when the PS5 launches. This way, they can have a stronger launch line up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c203f71675ff
deactivated-5c203f71675ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5c203f71675ff
Member since 2018 • 231 Posts

Some people sure fall for the bait...

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zaryia
@blackballs said:

Sony did win this gen.

PC won the gen. It has 100~ more high scoring games at Metacritic, a site you just used a few minutes ago. It has ~80 more at Gamespot, the site you are posting at.

@blackballs said:

Other than some vocal minority, nobody talks about the PC anymore.

What. PC has the most highly played video games and genres on Earth at the moment. The biggest games and genres being played are PC exclusive or PC created. It has the most gaming revenue, by a huge margin.

@blackballs said:

i call it the garbage bin or breadcrum system.

• Better library with over 100 more high scoring titles.
  • Better gfx and performance.
  • Better version of 90%+ of PS4 games
  • Better online (exponentially).

If PC is garbage bin, PS4 is a turd with puke on it.

Fix your thread title, my silver medal goon.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX

@blackballs said:
@MonsieurX said:
@blackballs said:
@zaryia said:
@blackballs said:

100/100 score

AAAA exclusive

Even won a GOTY title

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/return-of-the-obra-dinn

Nice try 88/100. Your source is a no name site that doesn't even appear on Metacritic same as that GOTY award. Lol herms desperate for anything they can get. Breadcrums.

lol

10/10 score

Still got a GOTY title

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

This isn't a bad idea.

The PS5 will need all the help it can get to catch up with the Switch next gen.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Hell no. I never believed in punishing the later adopters. They actually make up the majorityof console buyers. Its also good money on the table to walk away from an established userbase.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tgob89

@Shewgenja said:

Hell no. I never believed in punishing the later adopters. They actually make up the majorityof console buyers. Its also good money on the table to walk away from an established userbase.

All those games are still going to release on the PS4...probably just not when most people are expecting them to.

Kind of a double standard if you ask me.

Nintendo has got away with doing this EXACT same thing with games they've hyped from the beginning of their previous system for 2 generations straight.

Zelda Twilight Princess: Gamecube/Wii

Zelda BOTW: Wii U/Switch

Not sure exactly why people are freaking out if Sony takes a page from them...at least Sony hasn't left the PS4 dry for years without releasing any quality games while just waiting for the release of their newest system like ol Nintendo has done.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

If Sony is winning the race, why should it stop doing what is currently giving it the lead? You want Sony to become the Hare?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#35 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Feels like all of this is preemptive damage control for next year.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Seeing as how Sony doesn't have much going on next year, it would be cool to see them do some more consumer friendly stuff in 2019 to paper over the games draught, sort of like how Microsoft did this year.

Imo, it would be nice to give the Vita a proper send off. Maybe have a huge sale on all PS Vita and PSP games on PSN, cut the price of the extortionate memory cards or even offer an extended PS Plus Vita games selection in the final few months.

They could also further improve PS Now ahead of the PS5 launch, or at least offer it at a discount to PS Plus members. Basically just building up some more consumer trust after a few missteps such as the censorship stuff, crossplay scandal and the underwhelming Playstation Classic.