Sony VR CONFIRMED (Project Morpheus)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Edited by AznbkdX (4271 posts) -

Modern Vr may take off someday, but I don't think this will make enough waves for that. It just screams a waste of resources. Price and efficiency will need some major balancing otherwise its another psmove situation where there is little support due to its low popularity.

At this point we have no specs nor price to have any definitive conclusions, but I'm not expecting too much due to the vr stuff out now, and sonys history of taking pricing and projects a step too far.

#203 Edited by CyberLips (1826 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Lemmings are scured.

Don't worry guys, MS' finest engineers are prepping Fortaleza! Xbox Won!!!!!

Why would lemmings be scared of a gimmick thats probably doomed to failure.

Remember , according to you cows MS biggest mistake was too much Focus on kinect yet here you are hyping something that is just as much of a gimmick and will shift SONY's focus away from 'core games' in the same way that kinect did.

Very few people will buy this because of the 2-300 price point, people that do have the money to drop on this would probably have a gaming rig not a console ,lol.

The vast majority of console owners own them because they cannot afford gaming PC's,99% of Ps4 owners would not have the extra cash to buy into SONY's VR dream.

Kinect is a gimmick, this is a gimmick, you can't have it both ways (although i know you will try your damn best to)

Sony's VR Headset is made to play games, Kinect on the other hand is for switching channels and Skype.

#204 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Yeah can't wait to pay $300 just to walk around on Mars in 1080p... when we get Sword Art Online, count me in.

#205 Posted by AznbkdX (4271 posts) -

@Bigboi500: Nah waaayyyy too scary. Survival games like that aren't my cup of tea. ;)

#206 Posted by delta3074 (19957 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

@delta3074 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Lemmings are scured.

Remember , according to you cows MS biggest mistake was too much Focus on kinect yet here you are hyping something that is just as much of a gimmick and will shift SONY's focus away from 'core games' in the same way that kinect did.

Very few people will buy this because of the 2-300 price point, people that do have the money to drop on this would probably have a gaming rig not a console ,lol.

The vast majority of console owners own them because they cannot afford gaming PC's,99% of Ps4 owners would not have the extra cash to buy into SONY's VR dream.

Kinect is a gimmick, this is a gimmick, you can't have it both ways (although i know you will try your damn best to)

Sony's VR Headset is made to play games, Kinect on the other hand is for switching channels and Skype.

You honestly think that the PS4 will be able to maintain the 1080p, 60 FPS required required for Decent VR on mainstream titles.

Typical BS 'Kinect is made for switching channels but teh VR on Ps4 is only made for games'

Yay SONY.

Expect to be using the VR headset for PS HOME and Lame games like the Kinect games on the Xbone because the Ps4 can barely manage a consistent 1080p, 60 FPS without the overhead required for VR,lol

#207 Posted by delta3074 (19957 posts) -
@Desmonic said:

Not sure how capable the device will be (compared to the Rift that is) but damn, it looks good! :O

1080p, 90 degree viewing Angle is looking promising but they left out the two most important factors, FPS and latency, Decent VR needs a minimum FPS of 60 and a really, really low latency.

We will just have to wait and see i guess but expect the hardware limitations of the PS4 to play a huge factor, so far it's akin to using the Rift on a mid range PC.

#209 Posted by delta3074 (19957 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@delta3074 said:
@Desmonic said:

Not sure how capable the device will be (compared to the Rift that is) but damn, it looks good! :O

1080p, 90 degree viewing Angle is looking promising but they left out the two most important factors, FPS and latency, Decent VR needs a minimum FPS of 60 and a really, really low latency.

We will just have to wait and see i guess but expect the hardware limitations of the PS4 to play a huge factor, so far it's akin to using the Rift on a mid range PC.

I'm guessing it'll depend no how much money they want to make (cheap, gimmicky VR set just for the lulz) or lose with this (expensive to produce, proper VR set, sold at a consumer price), more so than the limitations of the PS4 (since devs can always just scale back the games in terms of graphical fidelity and performance).

We'll see. Either way I hope they keep the design from this prototype. Looks awesome!

yes it does look good, it's actually got the rift beaten in style factor i think.

#210 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2466 posts) -

Price must be high looking at spec. I guess they will package FPS game with to combat this. Probably COD or next battlefield, different option.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#212 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Lemmings are scured.

Why are you talking about camera gimmicky shit like Kinect?

VR is the future. I know it, I've tasted it. Couple of years and Sony and Oculus will be reaping the rewards while MS will be eating shit. :)

#213 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

@kuu2: right you are KW. Sonys VR will still probably need those dumb MOVE controllers in each hand also. The bright side is the VR helmet will block the light from the DS6 since Sony lied about the option to turn it off. Lol

I can already see cows claiming "Microsoft copied Sony" since they announced it first when in reality MS has been working on VR for quit some time.

#214 Edited by tormentos (26774 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

Sony had move and never shifted focus from core games you are assuming thing already shutdown,all the contrary sony just added move support with many core games,but without take normal controls away.

Yeah go ahead and forget that sony once had a $600 console and even at $600 euro people buy it more since the upset than the more cheaper 360 in mainland EU.

Now i am not saying this will be a success,but your damage control is clouding your judgement,i already quote you on this thread making lol comments because it was rumor that it was working better than Oculus rift,yesterday it was re confirmed that it was working better than oculus.

You don't even know how this work and you are already calling it a gimmick so yeah you are severely butthurt about this product..

#215 Posted by tormentos (26774 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

You honestly think that the PS4 will be able to maintain the 1080p, 60 FPS required required for Decent VR on mainstream titles.

Typical BS 'Kinect is made for switching channels but teh VR on Ps4 is only made for games'

Yay SONY.

Expect to be using the VR headset for PS HOME and Lame games like the Kinect games on the Xbone because the Ps4 can barely manage a consistent 1080p, 60 FPS without the overhead required for VR,lol

See you don't know that and you don't need 60FPS...

Didn't you read sony statement yesterday.? Latency as low as possible frames as high as possible,they didn't say 1080p 60FPS locked any where.

And you don't know what power is requires or how the PS4 can adjust its graphics to actually fit 1080p at 60 FPS,games like Tomb raider run at 1080p close to 60 FPS and many time 60 FPS,so does Ghost and they don't look bad a all,so a fine tune or a little effect lower here or there can make the goal.

So yeah you are severely butthurt about this,and you don't know the king of games that can't be made or how will they work..

@delta3074 said:
@Desmonic said:

How many VR have you try.? did you try Oculus and Morpheous.?

Then do that and stop assuming so much crap,it will as hardware limited as any GPU below the PS4 on PC will be,and those are the huge majority on PC.

#216 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: when did they say you could turn the light off the controller? Link please?

#217 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Project Morpheus? Which pill do I take to enter the VR world?

#218 Edited by speedfog (4960 posts) -

The fact that the Oculus Rift makes you feeeel like you are in the game is a big differents compared to a close television screen. Confirmed Sony makes a VR headset for watching movies.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#219 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Oh wow, they've been working on this thing since at least 2010 (sorry if it's been already posted)....

Bu-bu-bu sony copied rift!!!!

#220 Posted by Effec_Tor (911 posts) -

Its clear Rift copied Sony.

#221 Posted by CyberLips (1826 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@CyberLips said:

Yay SONY.

Are you seriously that dense? They've been working on this for 4 years, even before the Oculus Rift. Are you telling me that Sony cannot make a better VR headset than the OR which was funded by a kickstarter? They had the VR headset in mind when making the PS4, the games will run great. Honestly, stop whining, i don't even know why you're so upset.

#222 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

@FoxbatAlpha: when did they say you could turn the light off the controller? Link please?

you cant. that's not what I said.

#223 Posted by Effec_Tor (911 posts) -

Yoshida seems like a decent CEO :D

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/18/introducing-project-morpheus/#sf2223028

#224 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

@effec_tor: Yoshida has been nothing but amazing for the Playstation division since he started working there, and lots of people seem to like him a lot also.

#225 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

PC fanboys are doubting Sony's VR headset because it's not available on PC. Lemmings are calling it gimmick when they are forced to own a camera that doesn't work.... Oh yes, gotta love fanboys

#226 Edited by StormyJoe (7630 posts) -

@Sagemode87 said:

@StormyJoe: Um what is Xbox One doing that 360 didn't do besides TV pass through. You realize that has nothing to do with games right?

Yes, because the XB1 is more than just a gaming machine. And, it does a little more than TV pass through.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#227 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22779 posts) -

Haven't really been following the whole VR thing, but I would assume Sony doesn't just have a cheap knockoff here.

#228 Posted by D4RKL1NG (278 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

lol sheens are actually hyping this shit.

Cows hyping a Sony product!? What else should they hype? Shaving cream?

#229 Posted by RR360DD (13884 posts) -

A peripheral from Sony LOL

this is going to be a success ...

#230 Edited by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Fanboys or not, this is a technological feat that may involve more developers to produce games for VR.
Is VR not the future or is it too soon.
I dont think VR is best suited for kids, may get too scary ;)

#231 Edited by clyde46 (49053 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Desmonic said:

Oh wow, they've been working on this thing since at least 2010 (sorry if it's been already posted)....

VR has been around for years dude. The problem was finding a way of implementing the tech in a meaningful way.

#232 Posted by nyzma23 (1003 posts) -

$100 is the sweet spot $200 is so so $300 above is flop guarantee

#234 Edited by delta3074 (19957 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@delta3074 said:

Sony had move and never shifted focus from core games you are assuming thing already shutdown,all the contrary sony just added move support with many core games,but without take normal controls away.

Yeah go ahead and forget that sony once had a $600 console and even at $600 euro people buy it more since the upset than the more cheaper 360 in mainland EU.

Now i am not saying this will be a success,but your damage control is clouding your judgement,i already quote you on this thread making lol comments because it was rumor that it was working better than Oculus rift,yesterday it was re confirmed that it was working better than oculus.

You don't even know how this work and you are already calling it a gimmick so yeah you are severely butthurt about this product..

Please explain how it has been confirmed to be running better than the Rift, the rift runs at 1080p and has a 90 degree field of vision as well, yet we also know the the Rift runs at 60 FPS with extremely low latency, we know nothing about the framerate morpheus is running at and we don't know it's latency yet so please tell me where it is confirmed it works better than the RIFT.

You are devoid of common sense dude, the Rift will obviously run better because it is capable of running on more powerful hardware than the Ps4 and VR is very, very demanding on systems and requires a ton of resources .

You are clearly lacking in common sense and i DO know how VR works because i have been following the Rifts development quite closely.

As usual tormentos, making baseless comments about people you do not even know, it might suprise you but i am actually a tech geek, if i have the parts i can whip up a power supply in under 5 minutes and i have always spent many hours repairing various devices from MP3 players to walkmans to DVD players to even games consoles and PC's.

Don't make stupid comments about people you do not know, i am the Son of a man who has 50 years of experience being a Sparkie and has even worked for the MOD here in the UK repairing Radar parts for Marconi , my father has taught me virtually everything he knows dude.

You Don't know jack about me and it's clear you know jack about VR so i suggest you get reading like i did and actually learn about what you are talking about before making asanine comments about the people here on this board.

Also, compared to Kinect, Move was a complete disater for SONY,lol

#235 Posted by Telekill (7673 posts) -

Morpheus needs four things to be both good and get my attention or many in this thread will probably be right in that it's another pipe dream.

1. Price it right. No more than $200.

2. Do it right with good tech.

3. Support from both in house and third party.

4. Quality control on the games. No shovelware please.

If they can pull that off, I'll bite.

#236 Edited by Speak_Low (2248 posts) -

The GDC show floor opens at 9am PST/12 EST, so we should be getting many impressions soon of the Morpheus (and comparisons to Oculus)

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#237 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@kuu2: right you are KW. Sonys VR will still probably need those dumb MOVE controllers in each hand also. The bright side is the VR helmet will block the light from the DS6 since Sony lied about the option to turn it off. Lol

I can already see cows claiming "Microsoft copied Sony" since they announced it first when in reality MS has been working on VR for quit some time.

They're wasting their time on crap like Fortaleza. At least they had the good sense to scrap Illuminiroom though.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#238 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Desmonic said:

VR has been around for years dude. The problem was finding a way of implementing the tech in a meaningful way.

but why cant sony stop copying and innovate their own tech like m$ eyetoy 2.0? such innovation!! NEXT GEN BABY!!!

#239 Edited by super600 (32424 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@delta3074 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Lemmings are scured.

Why are you talking about camera gimmicky shit like Kinect?

VR is the future. I know it, I've tasted it. Couple of years and Sony and Oculus will be reaping the rewards while MS will be eating shit. :)

They won't be reaping the rewards until VR is able to appeal to the mainstream consumers. Project Morpheus and Oculus will only be able to appeal to the hardcore or tech lovers as long as they are priced outside the range a mainstream consumer would buy new add-ons like those two for.

#240 Posted by delta3074 (19957 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

@delta3074 said:

@CyberLips said:

Yay SONY.

Are you seriously that dense? They've been working on this for 4 years, even before the Oculus Rift. Are you telling me that Sony cannot make a better VR headset than the OR which was funded by a kickstarter? They had the VR headset in mind when making the PS4, the games will run great. Honestly, stop whining, i don't even know why you're so upset.

Firstly, the Rift is designed to work on more powerful hardware than project morpheus so obviously it's goin to run better when it releases purely because of the hardware it's designed to run on, Project Morpheus is only as good as the hardware it runs on which is essentially a mid range PC

Another idiot with no common sense i see.

Secondly, the Rift uses john carmacks software and sofware is just as important as the hardware

Also, must have missed that one but where does it say SONY have been working on there VR for 4 years Becuase you can already get developement kits for the rift, where are the developement kits for morpheus?

it's obvious that the Rift is ahead of morpheus in development because it is very close to a consumer release

Like i said to the other muppet, start reading up on these things before coming in and making stupid asanine comments.

#241 Posted by delta3074 (19957 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@delta3074 said:

Yay SONY.

See you don't know that and you don't need 60FPS...

And you don't know what power is requires or how the PS4 can adjust its graphics to actually fit 1080p at 60 FPS,games like Tomb raider run at 1080p close to 60 FPS and many time 60 FPS,so does Ghost and they don't look bad a all,so a fine tune or a little effect lower here or there can make the goal.

Then do that and stop assuming so much crap,it will as hardware limited as any GPU below the PS4 on PC will be,and those are the huge majority on PC.

For a decent VR experience you need 60 FPS minimum dude, the Rift runs at 60 Fps How could SONY's VR be better if at runs at less FPS than the RIFT

Tomb raider runs close to 60fps at 1080p without the overheads needed for VR, basically you have not factored in the overhead for VR which is quite demanding on system recources, the question is, could tomb raider run at that VR.

I don't think the Rift was designed to run on anything below mid to high range hardware dude

#243 Posted by CyberLips (1826 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@CyberLips said:

Firstly, the Rift is designed to work on more powerful hardware than project morpheus so obviously it's goin to run better when it releases purely because of the hardware it's designed to run on, Project Morpheus is only as good as the hardware it runs on which is essentially a mid range PC

Another idiot with no common sense i see.

Secondly, the Rift uses john carmacks software and sofware is just as important as the hardware

Also, must have missed that one but where does it say SONY have been working on there VR for 4 years Becuase you can already get developement kits for the rift, where are the developement kits for morpheus?

it's obvious that the Rift is ahead of morpheus in development because it is very close to a consumer release

Like i said to the other muppet, start reading up on these things before coming in and making stupid asanine comments.

Dev kits for project Morpheus are already available. That was the purpose of the conference, to get developers on board.

Also: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_3267-640x380.jpg

Maybe you should start reading up on these things because clearly you don't know as much as you think you do.

#244 Posted by Telekill (7673 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: No accessory should cost more than the system, and as many on here have said, if you overprice something, you alienate the masses. The masses are a group needed to recoup the losses from R&D. Something that any company wants to do, but given Sony's financial hits as of late, they need to do.

Appease to the masses price wise and sell more units.

#246 Posted by Telekill (7673 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: Are you really willing to spend $1000 on an accessory that could easily fumble out of the gate and get little to no support? Do you think that there are enough hardcore gamers out there willing to drop $1000 on such an accessory that it would make Sony break even from R&D?

Comparing gaming VR with a $1000 stereo seems more illogical to me as people use stereo equipment for more than gaming. More people are willing to drop that kind of money on such a product (I'm not one of them).

#247 Posted by The-Apostle (12195 posts) -

PS4 to win.

#249 Posted by Telekill (7673 posts) -

@Seanmcad

I'm not kidding you and apparently the Oculous Rift team agrees as IGN just posted an article about their dev set version 2.0 costing only $350.

I'd put a link but I'm on my phone.

#250 Edited by santoron (8583 posts) -

@Telekill: Yeah, the OR has already set a price expectation with their dev kits. If Sony can't meet those price points they should pack it in now, because tech-wise the new OR and Sony's set are pretty similar in specs.