Sony VR CONFIRMED (Project Morpheus)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Lock if old.

Update: Apparently this won't be streamed so I didn't see the point in creating a new thread, links to sites covering the event below.

http://www.roadtovr.com/gdc-2014-sony-computer-entertainment-driving-future-innovation-live-blog-515pm-pdt/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-sonys-innovation-at-playstation-panel-live-blog"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-18-gdc-live-report-sonys-future-of-innovation-talk

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5522976/sony-future-of-innovation-playstation-gdc-2014-event-live-blog

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/18/gdc-2014-preview/

Update 2: Confirmed!

Original thread:

Sony will reveal its Oculus Rift-beating VR headset at GDC next week, according to developers familiar with the tech.

A prototype is already in some thirdparty developers’ hands, who have told us that Sony’s VR headset is far superior to Oculus Rift’s first incarnation, though that is expected to even out a little with the arrival of Rift’s new, more advanced Crystal Cove devkit. They also said that there’s little software to speak of currently, but they expect to see something from one of Sony’s firstparty studios at GDC, even if it is just a tech demo.

There’s also no pressure on developers from platform holder Sony to adopt the tech; indeed, the studios we spoke to were excited by the technology, but questioned its viability as a platform. The cost of VR game development and its niche appeal means that many developers will wait and see how the Sony-authored experiences fare before committing to VR game development in earnest.

Sony will reveal all at its ‘Driving the future of innovation’ session at GDC on Tuesday, March 18. The event’s description on the GDC site is deliberately brief, but it is significant that it’ll be hosted by senior SCEA research and development executives Richard Marks and Anton Mikhailov. Both men helped develop PlayStation Eye and Move; feeling out the possibilities of virtual reality on consoles appears to be a logical progression for the pair within Sony’s R&D departments. The presence of Sony’s President of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida lends the showcase extra kudos, too, and its significance is being stressed privately to Sony’s development partners, who are being told that it’s not a session that they’d want to miss. When contacted about all of the above information, a Sony spokesperson told us: “We do not comment on rumour and speculation.”

Link

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

But the PS4 is just an upgraded PS3 if they don't shove a camera in every box. Amirite?

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Xbone/Kinect killer inbound

"Bu bu but DX12 ;_;"

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Its going to be technical marvel.
Hoping VR headsets and oculus rift become more popular.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

I am hoping that it really gets revealed this time. This and DriveClub would go so great together

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shewgenja

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

I am hoping that it really gets revealed this time. This and DriveClub would go so great together

That would be a good explanation for the delays. I would actually be excited if that was what's up!

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Hmm...

Not sure what to think about this yet. Unless this thing is extremely affordable, it could easily go the way off just another failed peripheral.

Then the question begs, what is going to be the impact on the games themselves. Current VR technology is demanding on systems. While the PS4 is the most powerful console by far, it is far from a performance pc.

I am going to take a wait and see approach. There are too many unknowns at this time. It has the potential to go either way from what is currently known.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

does this company really need that right now? i hope they didnt put all their hopes into this cuz its going to flop

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol another cheap peripheral from sony hoping ride the success of others

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I can't see this taking off as I know for a fact Sony is going to put the price too high. Even if the tech is great, people who buy a $399 console don't want to buy a $299 headset for it. PC gamers are glad to drop that kind of money on new toys for their already expensive PCs, it just comes with the territory.

The Oculus Rift is going to be $299 on launch (probably) because it's a pretty advanced piece of hardware that does a lot of things. I can't imagine Sony's being much cheaper.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

'Oculus Rift-beating'

Yeah right,lol

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

It isn't as full featured as the Rift, and it costs 3-4 times as much, so no sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

And cows will eat this up.

Although, Metroid would be cool with the Oculus Rift.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Not really interested in it, but nice to SONY pushing the industry forward,

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

So going from the article its expensive and has no 3rd party support unless Sony make some decent games for it. Sony have not exactly done a fantastic job of supporting the PS4 with software yet...let alone an optional....expensive...peripheral.

Oculus Rift seems a far more logical choice for VR, its still expensive but at least we have seen support for the device already.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I can't see this taking off as I know for a fact Sony is going to put the price too high. Even if the tech is great, people who buy a $399 console don't want to buy a $299 headset for it. PC gamers are glad to drop that kind of money on new toys for their already expensive PCs, it just comes with the territory.

The Oculus Rift is going to be $299 on launch (probably) because it's a pretty advanced piece of hardware that does a lot of things. I can't imagine Sony's being much cheaper.

Me neither i would look from a far save distance spending $299 for something that will be supported by a few games is a big no no in my books,now if it allows you to watch blu-ray 3d movies and stuff like that i may byte if the quality is good enough..

@delta3074 said:

'Oculus Rift-beating'

Yeah right,lol

Why can't that be.? Sony is an electronic company with way more years of experience than Valve have on the market,not to mention sony has had other head mounts as well for movies which are way more expensive than Valve ones i am sure.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I can say with 99% certainty that this is going to be bad. Unless Sony has hired a wizard to do for them what many industry titans are currently doing for the Oculus Rift team, it's going to be bad.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I don't understand why you want something strapped to your head while playing a game. Wont it get uncomfortable after 10 mins of play?

But whatever I'm sure some people will buy it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

You'd think they learned from 3d.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@tormentos said:

@Wasdie said:

Me neither i would look from a far save distance spending $299 for something that will be supported by a few games is a big no no in my books,now if it allows you to watch blu-ray 3d movies and stuff like that i may byte if the quality is good enough..

@delta3074 said:

'Oculus Rift-beating'

Yeah right,lol

Why can't that be.? Sony is an electronic company with way more years of experience than Valve have on the market,not to mention sony has had other head mounts as well for movies which are way more expensive than Valve ones i am sure.

Do SONY have as much experience in the Market as john Carmack? What does Valve have to do with it?

Also the Rift is NOTHING like the headsets used for watching movies, it has FAR more functionality and features

You Clearly know absolutely nothing about the Rift

i suggest you educate yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

VAlVE is not manufacturing the RIFT you fool,lol

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Good Lord *smh*

I don't see this going well for Sony.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

But the PS4 is just an upgraded PS3 if they don't shove a camera in every box. Amirite?

Yes. The PS4 is just a hardware upgrade. This doesn't change that, it's just a peripheral.

MisterXMedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MisterXMedia
Member since 2013 • 233 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@Shewgenja said:

Yes. The PS4 is just a hardware upgrade. This doesn't change that, it's just a peripheral.

The PS4 is a hardware upgrade as well as a UI/OS upgrade.

The Xbone is just a UI/OS downgrade. Hardware hasn't improved from last-gen consoles.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

so the oclus rift is already out a deemed a great success at this point? haha and of course sony must have only started development after they seen oclus because as we all know sony copies everything.

disclaimer: m$ did not copy avatars of nintendo to ride the success of wii, nintendo actually stole the idea from m$ servers and implemented it before they had the chance

#true story

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shewgenja

@StormyJoe said:

@Shewgenja said:

So, what you're saying is that Illumiroom is junk?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StormyJoe

@MisterXMedia said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Shewgenja said:

The PS4 is a hardware upgrade as well as a UI/OS upgrade.

The Xbone is just a UI/OS downgrade. Hardware hasn't improved from last-gen consoles.

Lying will get you nowhere...

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StormyJoe

@Shewgenja said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Shewgenja said:

So, what you're saying is that Illumiroom is junk?

No, it's also a peripheral.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Unnecessary.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shewgenja

@StormyJoe said:

I appreciate your honesty. Wasn't expecting an apples to apples answer on that one. For all our sakes, I hope the VR thing does take off. It seems like a logical step forward for gaming.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@delta3074 said:

Do SONY have as much experience in the Market as john Carmack? What does Valve have to do with it?

Also the Rift is NOTHING like the headsets used for watching movies, it has FAR more functionality and features

You Clearly know absolutely nothing about the Rift

i suggest you educate yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

VAlVE is not manufacturing the RIFT you fool,lol

In the making of electronic device a hell of allot more,in fact when sony started making electronic John Carmack wasn't even born.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-11-oculus-rift-recruits-valves-vr-project-lead-as-chief-architect

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StormyJoe

@Shewgenja said:

@StormyJoe said:

I appreciate your honesty. Wasn't expecting an apples to apples answer on that one. For all our sakes, I hope the VR thing does take off. It seems like a logical step forward for gaming.

I am all for VR gaming.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

If it is the same headset they been working on in 2011, its going to be compat with Movies, PC, and consoles

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

VR has been around since Lincoln and will always be a under the radar type accessory.

Just more crap to drive Sony into the red further.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@StormyJoe:

What?

So you are saying the xbone is not a upgraded xbox360? I think its just a slighty upgraded xbox 360 with forced in camera. Hardly next gen itself.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shewgenja

@FoxbatAlpha said:

VR has been around since Lincoln and will always be a under the radar type accessory.

Just more crap to drive Sony into the red further.

Perhaps VR has just been ahead of its time. After all, who wants to have grainy or red/black blah sitting inches from their face? It kills the immersion. Now that we have retina displays and oled screens, maybe VRs time is now? It could just kick some ass. Try to keep an open mind. I thought illumiroom was kind of neat, and we all know how I feel about XBox. That doesn't stop a technology from having its own cool factor.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Eventually VR will probably take off.

The problem we are going to have this gen imo is going to be price of the hardware, and limitation in the console hardware to take advantage of it.

Current implementations of the technology require something to be rendered twice. The PS4 is already getting titles that are downgraded from 1080p for visual effects in game.

You very well could have resolutions dipping into last gen standards to pull this off.

Unless Sony just pulls some major miracle with how VR is handled, you are going to have a peripheral that almost rivals the cost of the console, with downgraded graphics.

I could be wrong, I have been known to be on occassion, I just do not see how this will take off this gen. Next gen could be different. Costs could be down, and the next consoles could be absolute beasts. I think it will be a wait and see.

The pc has an advantage that the hardware is superior, and pc gamers are willing to throw down money to have the best visuals possible.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Xbone/Kinect killer inbound

"Bu bu but DX12 ;_;"

Not when it's priced at $600+ it won't be. lol!! If they are saying it's better than Oculus Rift which is ($500) we know it will be more then that price. Going to turn out to be another MOVE for Sony. Everyone gets excited for it. It gets released with some support. Sales of the games and the unit faulter after 6 months. 3rd party support dries up quickly. Sony VR owners left with a $600 paper weight and another $1 billion in loses for 2014.

@mems_1224 said:

I doubt it will be cheap for the consumer. I bet money that they don't announce the price at the GDC.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StormyJoe

@highking_kallor said:

@StormyJoe:

What?

So you are saying the xbone is not a upgraded xbox360? I think its just a slighty upgraded xbox 360 with forced in camera. Hardly next gen itself.

I am saying it is more than a hardware upgrade. For better or worse, it is designed to be a media hub - that's why it is built the way it is.

The PS4 is just a PS3 hardware upgrade.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Sony better stop wasting money on this and use that money to make games. Sony claims they are for the gamer and I don't need a survey to tell them that gamers hate overpriced gimmicks.

So, just lock it up, and use the saved money to get more studios.

highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 highking_kallor

@StormyJoe:

If you say so chump. Drink the MS coolaid. Sucker.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StormyJoe

@highking_kallor said:

@StormyJoe:

Exactly what is the PS4 doing that the PS3 did not do, other than produce better graphics?

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Will probably be sold out for month and month like ps4 camera. MS really mess up this gen forcing kinect.

highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 highking_kallor

@StormyJoe said:

@highking_kallor said:

@StormyJoe:

Exactly what is the PS4 doing that the PS3 did not do, other than produce better graphics?

So next gen means it has to have a tacky gimmick? Most gens have been just a graphics enhancement would you not agree. So why have the goal posts moved now? Is it because of the inferior hardware you have been provided by MS?

Please enlighten me with what the xbone has that classifys it as a next gen machine then? Because it runs video files and you can talk to it. Wow. Hows that working when it comes to gaming? So next gen isnt it.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts
@Wasdie said:

Yeap. Console gamers are cheap and prefer spending thousands of dollars in games instead of the main system.

No way this VR headset is going to be at the level of the Rift. Sony doesn't have the money for the R&D. Even if it turns out to be good, the PS4 is still weak, VR requires games running at good framerates for a perfect immersion and reduced lag. The PS4 is just not suited for that.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@donalbane said:

It isn't as full featured as the Rift, and it costs 3-4 times as much, so no sale.

Link?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By StormyJoe

@highking_kallor said:

@StormyJoe said:

@highking_kallor said:

@StormyJoe:

So next gen means it has to have a tacky gimmick? Most gens have been just a graphics enhancement would you not agree. So why have the goal posts moved now? Is it because of the inferior hardware you have been provided by MS?

Please enlighten me with what the xbone has that classifys it as a next gen machine then? Because it runs video files and you can talk to it. Wow. Hows that working when it comes to gaming? So next gen isnt it.

It's obvious to me you know nothing about what the XB1 can do. Ignorance must be bliss, I suppose. The XB1 does a lot more than what you mockingly say it does.

And no, not every video game gen is marked by only a hardware upgrade. The PS2 helped make DVDs popular, and the PS3 helped Blu-Rays become popular; neither one was essential to video games. The XBoxLive for the 360 redefined console online experience - which was more than just multiplayer with a headset.