Sony threatens legal action against company selling customized side panels for PS5

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

1932

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 1932 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-faceplate-site-cancels-orders-after-sony-threatens-legal-action/1100-6483982/

This company which was known as PlateStation5 until Sony threatened legal action over their name changed their name to "Customize My Plates" has now said it will no longer sell the plates for the PS5 because Sony lawyers threatened action again saying the plates were the intellectual property of Sony.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

57780

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57780 Posts

I saw that earlier. I can't really blame Sony, as i'll bet they've got things lined up for custom plates, as well as the fact that their initial name encroached on Sony's IP quite heavily. Definitely sucks, but I can't really fault Sony.

If this were Ninty just throwing lawyers at everyone, it may be different.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

13365

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 152

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 13365 Posts

Cows...

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

6061

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 6061 Posts

Etsy will most likely have a bunch and for cheap. No bid deal.

Avatar image for loonski
loonski

78

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 loonski
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts

so just sell wraps? lol

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

3734

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3734 Posts

Is the legal threat by Sony ongoing even after Customize My Plates changed its name a few days ago from PlateStation5?

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

46462

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#7 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 46462 Posts

Makes sense to me. You can't take someone else's design and making money from it without some sort of agreement.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

57780

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57780 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Is the legal threat by Sony ongoing even after Customize My Plates changed its name a few days ago from PlateStation5?

Sony's lawyers also stated that their PS5 trademark extended to the plates, which is probably correct. Sony will likely sell plates through 3rd-party for a cut of the profits, so they may come to some kind of deal in the future.

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

1932

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 1932 Posts

@loonski said:

so just sell wraps? lol

that is what they are doing..IMO wraps will be a cheaper option anyways

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

1932

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 1932 Posts
@onesiphorus said:

Is the legal threat by Sony ongoing even after Customize My Plates changed its name a few days ago from PlateStation5?

yep.. the Sony lawyers said the side plates were Sony's intellectual property

Does anyone recall if MS went after people selling the face plates for the 360? I know you can still buy them from 3rd parties now

Avatar image for BigBadBully
BigBadBully

2335

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2335 Posts

Saw Xbox pope said he has some big announcements coming, wonder if he's teaming up with some publishers for custom plates on the Ps5....

Avatar image for tormentos
tormentos

33699

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33699 Posts

@regnaston:

Probably those pay royalties.

So they should have gone through sony.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

20786

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20786 Posts

@Pedro said:

Makes sense to me. You can't take someone else's design and making money from it without some sort of agreement.

Apparently Sony can lol.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

49053

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49053 Posts

All the more reason to build a PC.

You wont have Corsair, NZXT, Phantek, or any other case manufacturer breathing down your neck for taking their panels to a paint shop or artist or welder to have them customized.

Avatar image for lhughey
lhughey

4719

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4719 Posts

Does Sony have patents on the covers? If not, the company should be able to label them as "5th Generation P-Console covers" or something. This is as silly. Every phone case company doesn't have to licensed through Apple.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

57780

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57780 Posts

@lhughey said:

Does Sony have patents on the covers? If not, the company should be able to label them as "5th Generation P-Console covers" or something. This is as silly. Every phone case company doesn't have to licensed through Apple.

Sony's lawyers argue that the faceplates are covered under the copyright.

Also, a protective case is different from the actual cover, so it wouldn't be the same.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

38084

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 38084 Posts

Who knows what could go wrong with covering that box with unauthorized covers, thing might go up in flames. I am worried of that happening without any third party variables.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

14977

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14977 Posts

The good news is this probably means Sony plans to monetize different custom plates - which I know people gave been clamoring for. The bad news is they probably won't be cheap because they will be official licensed plastic plates

Avatar image for lhughey
lhughey

4719

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4719 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@lhughey said:

Does Sony have patents on the covers? If not, the company should be able to label them as "5th Generation P-Console covers" or something. This is as silly. Every phone case company doesn't have to licensed through Apple.

Sony's lawyers argue that the faceplates are covered under the copyright.

Also, a protective case is different from the actual cover, so it wouldn't be the same.

Thanks for the copyright info. I just scanned the article, admittedly.

A protective case COULD be different from a console cover. But I would argue that it isn't. A phone case provides cosmetics and protection, just like this console cover does. I would also be willing to bet that cosmetics is a bigger selling point on phone cases than the degree of protection, otherwise people would be walking around with Otterbox looking bricks.

Avatar image for Telekill
Telekill

10193

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#20 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10193 Posts

I'm filing this under don't care.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

57780

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57780 Posts

@lhughey said:

Thanks for the copyright info. I just scanned the article, admittedly.

A protective case COULD be different from a console cover. But I would argue that it isn't. A phone case provides cosmetics and protection, just like this console cover does. I would also be willing to bet that cosmetics is a bigger selling point on phone cases than the degree of protection, otherwise people would be walking around with Otterbox looking bricks.

You could argue anything, but replacing a portion of the console with a 3rd-party component could well infringe on copyright.

A protective case is entirely different from the initial cover, as the protective case is designed to protect that very cover.

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
HalcyonScarlet

9261

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9261 Posts

Sony don't really have a case. The best they could do is threaten to void people's warranty for using a 3rd party mod.

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
HalcyonScarlet

9261

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9261 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I saw that earlier. I can't really blame Sony, as i'll bet they've got things lined up for custom plates, as well as the fact that their initial name encroached on Sony's IP quite heavily. Definitely sucks, but I can't really fault Sony.

If this were Ninty just throwing lawyers at everyone, it may be different.

Doesn't really matter, unlicensed 3rd party modifications have been sold for a long time for electronics and machines. Including the faceplates for the Xbox 360. Maybe Sony want to monopolise the market, but it doesn't really hold much weight. Sony would have the harder job to prove their case.

Since when has the law been able to stop 3rd party alternatives of non invasive modifications? You could make a case against internal or external modifications which bypass anti piracy security. This is just a heavy weight corperate threat.

And they haven't really got much of a case with the name either. It could be argued either way.

"Sony's lawyers also stated that their PS5 trademark extended to the plates, which is probably correct."

They could claim the trademark extends to the electrical plug, doesn't mean it'll hold up.

Avatar image for Sushiglutton
Sushiglutton

8486

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#24 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 8486 Posts

These should be pretty easy to make with a 3d printer, no? If so Sony won’t be able to police all the home brewers out there.

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
tdkmillsy

4104

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#25 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

You cant blame a company for trying to ahead of the competition, but assuming there is the option to go through Sony they have done that.

But what if there isn't one because Sony haven't sorted out what they are going to do yet? At that point its a bit cruel to punish another company.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

45205

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#26 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45205 Posts

Really Sony? Why not just hire these guys Sony to do the work for you and everyone wins. Including your consumers.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

7165

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#27 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7165 Posts

inb4 Sony doesn't even sell different panels and only uses this feature to make custom consoles for bundles.

inb4 there are tons you can buy on ali-express and ebay.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
PC_Rocks

5023

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5023 Posts

So Sony threatens legal action for trademark abused over similar sounding name but allows magazines with 'Official Playstation' in their names without having to do anything with it.

Avatar image for BlackShirt20
BlackShirt20

2507

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#29 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts

I was hoping to get a side panel that said “Sub RDNA 2 features, But Super fast loads”.

Shame.

Avatar image for mesome713
Mesome713

205

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#30 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 205 Posts

Sony so greedy. It’s a piece of plastic, so stupid.

Avatar image for tormentos
tormentos

33699

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33699 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

So Sony threatens legal action for trademark abused over similar sounding name but allows magazines with 'Official Playstation' in their names without having to do anything with it.

The fact that they have nothing to do with them doesn't mean they didn't get permission from sony.

In fact the official PS magazine came for 10 years with a demo disk were in hell do you think those demos came from? They weren't printed by the magazine without having the help of sony.

I am sure also royalties were in place.

Avatar image for howmakewood
Howmakewood

6495

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#32 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6495 Posts

ali express got you covered on the plates if you dont want to pay up for proprietary

Avatar image for pc_rocks
PC_Rocks

5023

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#33 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5023 Posts

@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

So Sony threatens legal action for trademark abused over similar sounding name but allows magazines with 'Official Playstation' in their names without having to do anything with it.

The fact that they have nothing to do with them doesn't mean they didn't get permission from sony.

In fact the official PS magazine came for 10 years with a demo disk were in hell do you think those demos came from? They weren't printed by the magazine without having the help of sony.

I am sure also royalties were in place.

Cool you agree they are biased source who pads Sony games scores.

Avatar image for ratchetclank92
RatchetClank92

523

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#34 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 523 Posts

Makes sense, Sony probably has their own plans for releasing aftermarket plates and accessories, that is ridiculous that this company thought they could come in and leech profits off Sony especially before it’s even released.

Avatar image for speedytimsi
speedytimsi

1414

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#35 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1414 Posts

I don't blame Sony for doing that since they probably can milk that. But it's just 2 pieces of plastic LOL