• 56 results
tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

tdkmillsy  Online

Poll Sony Tempest 3d Audio Engine is :- (56 votes)

A fantastic addon to the PS5 18%
A waste of time they should have stuck with Dolby Atmos 20%
A good attempt but should have included Dolby support 11%
A waste of resources that could have been used better elsewhere 29%
Might be great have to wait and see 23%

I really like my sound when it comes to gaming and movies, I've invested in Dolby Atmos setup with 8 speakers (more to come). So the 3d engine in PS5 interested me, but having read Dolby's response I feel they could be re-inventing the wheel some what. A bit like Microsoft Sonic on Xbox One (although they supported Dolby Atmos also).

https://developer.dolby.com/blog/spatial-audio-and-the-ps5/

What say you people?

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts
The tempest engine is an earfull. 😂
The tempest engine is an earfull. 😂

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

We don’t know so we can’t tell

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

hopefully better than the pro's jet audio engine

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38639 Posts

Imagine a brand new console that has so little to offer, that your most talked points is controller rumble, audio (which BoneX has already done years ago) and a storage device.

Who does that?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I like innovation.

...but I don't like competing standards. Will the PS5 just not support existing spatial audio standards like Dolby Atmos?

Also it sounds like Tempest is initially targeting headphones or TV stereo speakers. Which doesn't thrill me.....

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I'm all for 3D audio being a thing without having to dish out extra money for buying licensed products. It's supposed to outperform Dolby as well so we'll just have to wait and see.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:

I'm all for 3D audio being a thing without having to dish out extra money for buying licensed products. It's supposed to outperform Dolby as well so we'll just have to wait and see.

You mean we will have to wait and....hear.😎

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

I’m a big audio fan. One of the reasons I loved the PS3 was the uncompressed audio thru my surround sound.

The Xbox one I owned had audio issues all the time, not choosing the correct surround speakers and handshake issues. I trust Sony when it comes to audio. But I’m excited to see what both companies bring to the table

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

You mean we will have to wait and....hear.😎

Booo lol

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7123 Posts

tempest chip can do more if the developer wants to take the time and use for something else. they say it equate eight cores of the ps4 cpu by it self. we will have to see.

sound has to be 200fps so adding tempest chip will free up cpu which is good.

if they can get crappy tv speakers to do 3d sound is a huge leap in sound. if they can get that to work.

plus the tempest chip will be used by every developer. even third party because its all connected. once they create there sound for there game the ps5 tempest does the rest.

tempest chip is also sending that pacific sound thru the dualsense as well. things that happen in your face will come out the new improved speaker in the controller. like wind in your face etc.

so again its not a gimmick because ever developer will use it without spending extra time using it.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

@gifford38 said:

tempest chip can do more if the developer wants to take the time and use for something else. they say it equate eight cores of the ps4 cpu by it self. we will have to see.

if they can get crappy tv speakers to do 3d sound is a huge leap in sound. if they can get that to work.

plus the tempest chip will be used by every developer. even third party because its all connected. once they create there sound for there game the ps5 tempest does the rest.

tempest chip is also sending that pacific sound thru the dualsense as well. things that happen in your face will come out the new improved speaker in the controller. like wind in your face etc.

so again its not a gimmick because ever developer will use it without spending extra time using it.

You will never get 3d sound from stereo tv speakers thats half as good as dolby atmos. Thats not to say it wont be better than stereo but you will need headphones to get even close.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I'm confused. Why would it matter if it's their own 3D audio or Dolby Atmos? Is their own 3D audio designed only for headphones or stereo? Would suck balls if it only played two channels in a surround setup. The PS5 headphones won't sound as good as my headphones.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gifford38

@tdkmillsy said:
@gifford38 said:

You will never get 3d sound from stereo tv speakers thats half as good as dolby atmos. Thats not to say it wont be better than stereo but you will need headphones to get even close.

as long as they get the 3d sound work for my 5.1 surround sound i just bought a month ago i will be happy.

but what makes the tempest chip so good is the amount of different sound sources that can be coming out at once over the ps4. like hundreds of rain drops bouncing off different materials and still have gun fire, voices, explosions and wind etc. its like raytracing but instead of light its sound.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Not something I'm bothered about, still happy with two average speakers.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tdkmillsy  Online

@gifford38 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@gifford38 said:

as long as they get the 3d sound work for my 5.1 surround sound i just bought a month ago i will be happy.

but what makes the tempest chip so good is the amount of different sound sources that can be coming out at once over the ps4. like hundreds of rain drops bouncing off different materials and still have gun fire, voices, explosions and wind etc. its like raytracing but instead of light its sound.

dolby atmos can already do this, developers using dolby atmos have already worked out that when you get so many it actually has a negative impact.

MamWomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MamWomen
Member since 2020 • 135 Posts

For christ sakes, who the hell knows. Can someone hear it?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@sheep99 said:

We don’t know so we can’t tell

Wait and see, for me.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

you have to use headphones to take full advantage. or you have to have surround speakers in your gaming room.

otherwise its going to be a joke and a gimmick.

i dont even like using headphones everytime i game.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

No idea, got a basic 5.1 surround sound setup as well (not atmos), so it's going to be interesting to see (hear) can they actually enhance the experience further.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17804 Posts

I'm looking forward to it. its great to see sound getting some love in both new systems. its something that's very neglected in gaming.

I just hope it doesnt cost a fortune to get a good result out of it. i have decent headphones that i'm hoping i can just plug into the controller and get a benefit from the system.

i have serious doubts that there will be much benefit from standard TV speakers though.

but yeah its nice to see.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44534 Posts

Given that multi-billion dollar AAA publisher like Ubisoft can't even make the stereo audio in Far Cry 3 Classic work right, what's to say anybody else will be able to figure out a new and more complex audio standard.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

3d audio is sick its the future.

I dunno what xbox one is using but **** man

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Phlop_Spencer

@KBFloYd: I don’t think the ps5 is catering to people that like playing switch in the back of mom’s van.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phlop_Spencer

@lamprey263: well Sony set the standard for bluray uncompressed audio, but who are they, right? 🙄

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KBFloYd

@phlop_spencer said:

@KBFloYd: I don’t think the ps5 is catering to people that like playing switch in the back of mom’s van.

you think all playstation gamers are audiophiles too?

youre delusional.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gifford38

pc, xbox, fans. sound does not matter in games so its a waste of time.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gifford38
@KBFloYd said:

you have to use headphones to take full advantage. or you have to have surround speakers in your gaming room.

so better sound = gimmick ok. i bet you didn't know sound needs to be 200fps. tempest just doesn't add 3d sound. its the amount of sounds coming out at once. ps4 only used half of one of there cpu. while the tempest = 8 cpu cores of the ps4.

PS5’s new Tempest Engine will support hundreds of sound sources, meaning it will appear that sound could be coming from hundreds of different directions as you hear it in a game. When you have something like raindrops, you’ll hear them coming from many different directions or different materials like metal. then you add wind if its coming from in front of you the new speaker on the controller is part of that 3d space.

imagine hearing the rain come closer to you as the storm gets closer while there are gun shots off to your right and explosions. or what ever hundreds of sound sources they wish to put in there game.

tell me is that a gimmick or will it emerge you into the game? you can use a surround sound for this that sounds like its more 3d.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KBFloYd

@gifford38 said:
@KBFloYd said:

so better sound = gimmick ok. i bet you didn't know sound needs to be 200fps. tempest just doesn't add 3d sound. its the amount of sounds coming out at once. ps4 only used half of one of there cpu. while the tempest = 8 cpu cores of the ps4.

PS5’s new Tempest Engine will support hundreds of sound sources, meaning it will appear that sound could be coming from hundreds of different directions as you hear it in a game. When you have something like raindrops, you’ll hear them coming from many different directions or different materials like metal. then you add wind if its coming from in front of you the new speaker on the controller is part of that 3d space.

imagine hearing the rain come closer to you as the storm gets closer while there are gun shots off to your right and explosions. or what ever hundreds of sound sources they wish to put in there game.

tell me is that a gimmick or will it emerge you into the game? you can use a surround sound for this that sounds like its more 3d.

i believe this 3d sounds feature will go completely overlooked. i think it will be no different than dolby surround or dts surround..atmos or whatever. getting closer to rain is already in games. plus only sony exclusives will try and use it.

of course the sony fanboys will be on the forums parising it like the 2nd coming on launch day. but after a year it will be forgotten.

cpu cores arent going to makes sony's cheap dac, or whatever its using for sound, sound like real life. especially if people use cheap headphones or none at all. this will just be a gimmick like 3d/vr/rumble etc...

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Too early to tell.

Was let down with their hour conference saying we should use headphones while the UE5 video sound effects sounded better.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I don’t know much when it comes to audio. From my understanding, you would need to use headphones to take advantage of things like 3D audio which I don’t like to use.

Seems useless to me.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44018 Posts

Our visuals suck but wait to you hear our sound. lol :P

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@tdkmillsy said:

That like saying you will not get 120FPS out of a normal TV out there,most TV don't support that.

If your going for sound then you need extra hardware just as if you went for 120FPS,just because the xbox and PS5 can blast 120FPS doesn't mean every TV will.

Never the less there is allot of audiophiles who have great audio setups,sony is a hardware company at heart,so sound is very important for them this is the same company who invented the walkman,and is not the first time they go the extra mile on sound,the one of the benefits of blu-ray on PS3 over the 360 was 7.1 lossless sound Resistance had it on day 1,sure you need it the setup but the option was there,while the 360 was stock with 5.1.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38639 Posts

Instead of higher fidelity visuals and 60fps as often as possible, we get faster loadings and better audio. Their priorities are f*ckedup.

I would say that audio and other features like it, are a good upgrade for the Pro version of said system. But when a brand new gen launches, highest possible specs to achieve whatever resolution they're aiming for and 60fps+ should be the priority in 100% of the cases.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gifford38

@KBFloYd said:
@gifford38 said:
@KBFloYd said:

i believe this 3d sounds feature will go completely overlooked. i think it will be no different than dolby surround or dts surround..atmos or whatever. getting closer to rain is already in games. plus only sony exclusives will try and use it.

of course the sony fanboys will be on the forums parising it like the 2nd coming on launch day. but after a year it will be forgotten.

cpu cores arent going to makes sony's cheap dac, or whatever its using for sound, sound like real life. especially if people use cheap headphones or none at all. this will just be a gimmick like 3d/vr/rumble etc...

cheap headphones already work this way. sony already said any standard headphones. its finding your htf thats helps this. rain yes is in games but raytracing sound is not. tell one game out there that has rain sounds hitting different surfaces. like the gutter on a house or a hubcap on the ground or the sound hitting your armor.

https://youtu.be/IUDTlvagjJA

if you have headphones listen to this. it will let you hear what 3d sound is like.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

just more marketing spin, per the usual for consoles. *fixed

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gifford38

@dxmcat said:

just more marketing spin, per the usual for sony.

just like Velocity Architecture. to make it sound better than the ps5 ssd

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@gifford38 said:
@dxmcat said:

Triggered.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tdkmillsy  Online

@tormentos said:
@tdkmillsy said:

That like saying you will not get 120FPS out of a normal TV out there,most TV don't support that.

If your going for sound then you need extra hardware just as if you went for 120FPS,just because the xbox and PS5 can blast 120FPS doesn't mean every TV will.

Never the less there is allot of audiophiles who have great audio setups,sony is a hardware company at heart,so sound is very important for them this is the same company who invented the walkman,and is not the first time they go the extra mile on sound,the one of the benefits of blu-ray on PS3 over the 360 was 7.1 lossless sound Resistance had it on day 1,sure you need it the setup but the option was there,while the 360 was stock with 5.1.

I replied to this.

"if they can get crappy tv speakers to do 3d sound is a huge leap in sound. if they can get that to work."

If you think Sony will do a better job than Dolby than feel free. Meanwhile those invested in Dolby Atmos setups for film and gaming that dont have the ability to take and understand direct feeds will lose out cos of what Sony did.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:
@dxmcat said:

Triggered.

triggered lol nope. just telling him if he thinks its a marking spin then so is va. because i have seen xbox fans because of va they think the total gigs is 15 now some how. trying to say that series x ssd is faster.

he says usual for sony when every company is guilty of this.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

triggered lol nope. just telling him if he thinks its a marking spin then so is va. because i have seen xbox fans because of va they think the total gigs is 15 now some how. trying to say that series x ssd is faster.

Ask yourself, "Is this thread about SSDs, Xbox and/or MS?"

Since the answer is no, you got triggered.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

fixed / edited my post. yeesh its right above.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tdkmillsy  Online

@gifford38 said:
@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:
@dxmcat said:

Triggered.

Velocity Architecture is marketing spin on tech that will help the series X but its not secret sauce that will make it better than Sony's SSD from the little I know.

However the SSD wont make it up for half the other issues with PS5.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Some of the best surround I've ever heard.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

Ask yourself, "Is this thread about SSDs, Xbox and/or MS?"

Since the answer is no, you got triggered.

so giving an example is being triggered lol.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44018 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@howmakewood said:

Mangy, wish I could play MS Flight Sim on that bad boy. Real world jet engine surround sound. lol :P

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gifford38
@dxmcat said:

fixed / edited my post. yeesh its right above.

yeah the name tempest is marketing spin. hope it works the way they say it does. thats all that matters no matter the name. sorry i was just stating that all companies have marketing names for there special chip set or special software. like the cell or xcloud or direct 12.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

You could say that it’s a tempest in a teacup. AKA much ado about nothing. 😜

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@howmakewood said:

Mangy, wish I could play MS Flight Sim on that bad boy. Real world jet engine surround sound. lol :P

I recommend ghost of sushi, you hear the wind from your speakers, controller and the console, very immersive

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11234 Posts

I plan on investing $15,000-$20,000 on my Atmos setup so I really hope the PS5's Tempest Engine competes with Dolby Atmos and is compatible with my setup...

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#50 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

As long as it can enhance my 5.1 Surround sound setup I'm all for it.

I just invested in 5.1 and I love it, it's a great way to play games, however I don't want/need to invest in anything more than 5.1.