Sony switches the X and O mapping for PS5 UI in Japan!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Sony switches the X and O mapping for PS5 UI in Japan! (34 votes)

X for confirm, O to cancel is the way to go 88%
O to confirm. X to cancel is better 12%

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-10-05-in-a-historic-move-playstation-5-swaps-x-and-circle-button-use-in-japan?__twitter_impression=true

Sony has swapped the usage of the X and Circle buttons for the PlayStation 5 user interface in Japan, meaning X is now used to confirm settings, while Circle is used to cancel.

This is, of course, how PlayStation consoles and games have operated in the West for 25 years. But it's a big shift for Japan, where X has not historically been used to mean "accept", "X marks the spot", or "X to Jason". There, X typically means "cancel" or "quit", whereas the "O" of Circle means "OK".

The detail comes from Famitsu, one of several Japanese outlets to get more details on PlayStation 5 over the weekend, and which has now reported a further wrinkle.

Perhaps even more confusingly, the Japanese versions of PS5 games will still use the previous definitions of X and Circle, separate and contradictory to the PS5 hardware itself.

"In Japan, the 'Circle = Good, OK, Correct' symbolism has been common knowledge for many decades. When designing the original PlayStation controller, it was likely that the placement of the O/X were hence made to match the Super Famicom's A/B, and were utilised similarly.

"I expect this will go down VERY badly with Japanese players. Unlearning muscle memory acquired through years of repetition is extremely tough. For the short term, I think JP developers are actually going to face MORE dev burden instead of less due to this..."

I remember Final Fantasy games used to have the O for confirm and X for cancel mapping. It was annoying lol. But I guess you can always switch it? Not sure why Sony decided to change it on Japan now. Note this is for the user interface of the console, and not the games. What mapping is your preference, SW? X to confirm has been hard wired into my brain at this point lol.

• 
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37277 Posts

A for confirm and B for cancel. :P

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2018 Posts

I've always found O to accept and X to cancel to be rather annoying. The symbols make sense, but the placement doesn't and I think that has to do with your thumb naturally lining up over the square and X buttons. I have no doubt it'll be an option in the UI though.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 15733 Posts

I suspect they changed it because the market wanted it.

Makes sense

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1417 Posts

This is going to cancel out the speed achieved from SSDs.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6447 Posts

A to confirm, B to cancel or go back.

Iā€™d be lost with a playstation controller.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44621 Posts

Uh, okay. Hopefully users can change it later in the option menu.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#7  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 45132 Posts

Awesome. Now I don't have to adjust to O to accept. šŸ¤— Now if only I can actually pre-order a system. šŸ˜‰

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6403 Posts

x to doubt

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 28318 Posts

@Pedro said:

Awesome. Now I don't have to adjust to O to accept. šŸ¤— Now if only I can actually pre-order a system. šŸ˜‰

I thought PlayStation is the worst system ever in your eyes?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:

Find a post in which I stated or even imply anything of a sort. šŸ˜‚

You just have that sentiment because I trigger your faction so easily.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10006 Posts

X has been the default for selecting with O being to back out since the first Playstation released in N. America in 1995. Not sure why it was reversed in Japan. Personally, I found the reverse to be a pain in the ass when I first bought a Switch.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 19836 Posts
@Telekill said:

X has been the default for selecting with O being to back out since the first Playstation released in N. America in 1995.

Always depended on the game. For example, stuff like MGS and FF were always reversed. A lot of Japanese games didn't switch until gen 7, or even the current gen.

Anyways, was weird the first time I came across a game like that, but never had issue adjusting since. And not really sure why they'd change this for Japanese gamers now, seems pointless.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 378 Posts

Sony at it again being anti consumer

Avatar image for masonshoemocker
masonshoemocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 masonshoemocker
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

@Telekill said:

X has been the default for selecting with O being to back out since the first Playstation released in N. America in 1995. Not sure why it was reversed in Japan. Personally, I found the reverse to be a pain in the ass when I first bought a Switch.

I played Metal Gear Solid and the Final Fantasies on the PS1 and they were all 'O' to confirm. I can't remember if it was also like that on Gran Turismo or Smackdown though.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4663 Posts

I like how the Switch has it with the confirm on the right and the cancel on the left.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10006 Posts

@ConanTheStoner

@masonshoemocker

You guys seem to have glossed over the word "default". Default can still be changed by the dev.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 28318 Posts

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:

Find a post in which I stated or even imply anything of a sort. šŸ˜‚

You just have that sentiment because I trigger your faction so easily.

You dislike PlayStation so much you avoid eating beef. It's that bad.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

You dislike PlayStation so much you avoid eating beef. It's that bad.

Don't deflect, find a post in which I stated or imply that PlayStation is the worst system ever. šŸ˜Ž

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7617 Posts

@Sevenizz: You'd have to be INCREDIBLY stupid to be lost with a controller that has the same button layout just different letters to mark them.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18482 Posts

@Telekill: It's a cultural thing.

In Japan (outside of gaming), a circle means 'okay' and a cross means 'no'. Sony swapped this for the West, because they thought Western gamers would be confused by an X meaning 'no'.

Anyway, this seems like a very stupid change for the PS5. I understand that it cuts down costs, but I imagine this will hurt the PS5's popularity in Japan.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 11329 Posts

@Sevenizz: Do you have to look down at your controller to see where the A or B button is? No? Then you'll be fine with a playstation controller. Same setup, just different labels for buttons.

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 383 Posts

@Pedro: I'd like to see this post myself...lmfao

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 4743 Posts

What a thread worthy topic by the master TC Solid. Would read again.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By St_Monica  Online
Member since 2020 • 211 Posts

I wonder if Sony will refund when a Japanese people mistakenly presses YES (formerly NO) on the software purchase button due to muscle memory.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2447 Posts

Bout time they enter the 21st century.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 6779 Posts

I picked the first one and wish the Switch would change to that as well since it screws me up... lol.

That said it seems as though Japan wants their gaming buttons to be unified and even across the board. SONY and Nintendo merger confirmed? lol... I kid I kid.

Skynet and all that shit.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 6779 Posts
@Planeforger said:

In Japan (outside of gaming), a circle means 'okay' and a cross means 'no'. Sony swapped this for the West, because they thought Western gamers would be confused by an X meaning 'no'.

Anyway, this seems like a very stupid change for the PS5. I understand that it cuts down costs, but I imagine this will hurt the PS5's popularity in Japan.

Seems to be a long history of Japan thinking we're stupid.. lol. Oh well.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3726 Posts

@Planeforger said:

In Japan (outside of gaming), a circle means 'okay' and a cross means 'no.' Sony swapped this for the West, because they thought Western gamers would be confused by an X meaning 'no.'

Sony could have used symbols that are understood by all cultures instead of using those that are understod by Japanese gamers, and but may confuse Westerner gamers.

Thinking about the "X" meaning, I remembered a poster on System Wars many years ago who claimed that the reason the Xbox brand is unpopular in Japan is due to that letter which has the meaning of "no." The reason for the Xbox's unpopularity in Japan is more than that.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By St_Monica  Online
Member since 2020 • 211 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@Planeforger said:

In Japan (outside of gaming), a circle means 'okay' and a cross means 'no.' Sony swapped this for the West, because they thought Western gamers would be confused by an X meaning 'no.'

Sony could have used symbols that are understood by all cultures instead of using those that are understod by Japanese gamers, and but may confuse Westerner gamers.

Thinking about the "X" meaning, I remembered a poster on System Wars many years ago who claimed that the reason the Xbox brand is unpopular in Japan is due to that letter which has the meaning of "no." The reason for the Xbox's unpopularity in Japan is more than that.

As far as I know, there is a distinction between "X" (alphabet) and "X" (symbol for No) in Japan. In fact, "X" (alphabet) is used without negative meaning in the following popular games: Rockman (Megaman) X, Pokemon X / Y, Xenoblade X, Monster Hunter X & XX, Street Fighter II Turbo is called Street Fighter II Xand Symphony of the Night is called Dracula X in Japan.

In addition, one of the most popular Japanese rock band is X Japan, iPhone X is bestselling phone in Japan, X-MEN movies do well in Japan, a popular anime franchise Gundam has Gundam X series, and Toyota Mark X is a medium sized car specifically targeted to Japanese market.

If the character "X" itself has such a negative implication, it wouldn't be used that much.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3326 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:
@Planeforger said:

Seems to be a long history of Japan thinking we're stupid.. lol. Oh well.

if they want to complain so much let sony change this on us consoles then. I will not complain over something that will just become normal after you get use to it. not the end of the world.

Somethings people complain about are just childish. omg my buttons are switched im not buying one now.