Sony sold just under 500,000 PSVR headsets last quarter alone: "PSVR Dominates Newly Resurgent VR Gaming Market"

#252 Posted by kingtito (9591 posts) -

@blueberry_bandit said:

@kingtito:

VR is unlike any peripheral that came before, so it makes more sense to support it for the long term. Sony said they are supporting VR long-term.

I agree VR is unlike any other peripheral. That being said Sony says a lot of things. It's in their best interest to say they're going to support VR long term. Doesn't mean they'll actually do it. MS said Kinect 2 would always be a part of the X1. Money is the deciding factor and if the PSVR isn't bringing in the software sales then I can definitely see Sony cutting support. Only time will tell.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
#253 Posted by Blueberry_Bandit (533 posts) -

@kingtito: Even if Sony drop support (Which is not going to happen any time soon considering sales are beyond Sony's expectations), VR still lives on.

When you have just about all the major tech companies throughout the world working on VR, you know it's a safe technology.

#254 Posted by kingtito (9591 posts) -

@blueberry_bandit said:

@kingtito: Even if Sony drop support (Which is not going to happen any time soon considering sales are beyond Sony's expectations), VR still lives on.

When you have just about all the major tech companies throughout the world working on VR, you know it's a safe technology.

I'm not saying VR as a whole will die. I'm saying Sony will eventually kill support if the attach rate stays this low. Software sales attach rates for PSVR specific games will have to be astronomically high in order for support to continue in the long term. This isn't an opinion, this is a fact and not just going by Sony's history but every company that's ever sold peripherals. Only time will tell

#255 Posted by DaVillain- (30125 posts) -

@kingtito: Then we are in a agreement PSVR will be a successful VR devices.

#256 Posted by kingtito (9591 posts) -

@davillain- said:

@kingtito: Then we are in a agreement PSVR will be a successful VR devices.

Can't say it will and can't say it won't...yet but going by Sony's history, I'd say it has a good chance of not.

#257 Edited by Reduc_Ab_ (5738 posts) -

@kingtito: Your "chances" sound a lot like "wishes".

#258 Edited by Dogmatic923 (734 posts) -

Good news for me as an XBX owner. Sony is proving there is a viable VR market for consoles. MS will take note and will come out with a more powerful version. Everything Sony does MS will just do better. Thx for the beta test Cows!

#259 Posted by kingtito (9591 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:

@kingtito: Your "chances" sound a lot like "wishes".

Unlike you ab, I'm not blinded by Sony or anything they do. I'm going by their history, not hope and "wishes". Like I said, I don't wish or hope for the PSVR to fail. I just believe at the rate it's going, Sony will eventually cut support. Don't get so butthurt at my opinions ab cause that's all they are.

#260 Edited by I_P_Daily (7652 posts) -

@Dogmatic923: As an X owner myself i say let the cows keep the fantasy land, oops i mean VR space, MS should concerntrate on normal video games, not chase the pot of fake gold at the end of the gimmick rainbow.

#261 Posted by WhatAFailure (75 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:
@whatafailure said:

How the turns have tabled, herms and lems. They said PSVR would sell the worst, and now it ends up selling the best.

Now they go "Of course it sells the most because there's lots of PS4s out there." Then why didn't you say that before? There's also lots of PCs out there you know

The reason why PSVR is doing the best is because of its ease of setup.

Rift and Vive have complex setups that make it unattractive.

Though Microsoft's Windows MR setup is very easy to setup. So I expect Windows MR to dominate PC VR and extend that dominance to Xbox consoles.

The reviews say it's worse than Vive and Oculus, so I doubt that.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
#262 Posted by Blueberry_Bandit (533 posts) -

@whatafailure said:
@daniel_su123 said:
@whatafailure said:

How the turns have tabled, herms and lems. They said PSVR would sell the worst, and now it ends up selling the best.

Now they go "Of course it sells the most because there's lots of PS4s out there." Then why didn't you say that before? There's also lots of PCs out there you know

The reason why PSVR is doing the best is because of its ease of setup.

Rift and Vive have complex setups that make it unattractive.

Though Microsoft's Windows MR setup is very easy to setup. So I expect Windows MR to dominate PC VR and extend that dominance to Xbox consoles.

The reviews say it's worse than Vive and Oculus, so I doubt that.

Depends on the headset. The Samsung Odyssey is pretty decent since it has quite a big improvement in resolution. Windows MR headsets are the easiest to set up and require no external sensors, so it's got a convenience factor going for it. Odyssey is $500 which is inbetween Rift and Vive. The tracking is not that bad really.

It's all about trade-offs. Odyssey would be best for sim racing / virtual desktop applications, and things like that.