Sony sold just under 500,000 PSVR headsets last quarter alone: "PSVR Dominates Newly Resurgent VR Gaming Market"

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#252 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:

@kingtito:

VR is unlike any peripheral that came before, so it makes more sense to support it for the long term. Sony said they are supporting VR long-term.

I agree VR is unlike any other peripheral. That being said Sony says a lot of things. It's in their best interest to say they're going to support VR long term. Doesn't mean they'll actually do it. MS said Kinect 2 would always be a part of the X1. Money is the deciding factor and if the PSVR isn't bringing in the software sales then I can definitely see Sony cutting support. Only time will tell.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#253 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@kingtito: Even if Sony drop support (Which is not going to happen any time soon considering sales are beyond Sony's expectations), VR still lives on.

When you have just about all the major tech companies throughout the world working on VR, you know it's a safe technology.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 kingtito

@blueberry_bandit said:

@kingtito: Even if Sony drop support (Which is not going to happen any time soon considering sales are beyond Sony's expectations), VR still lives on.

When you have just about all the major tech companies throughout the world working on VR, you know it's a safe technology.

I'm not saying VR as a whole will die. I'm saying Sony will eventually kill support if the attach rate stays this low. Software sales attach rates for PSVR specific games will have to be astronomically high in order for support to continue in the long term. This isn't an opinion, this is a fact and not just going by Sony's history but every company that's ever sold peripherals. Only time will tell

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@kingtito: Then we are in a agreement PSVR will be a successful VR devices.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 kingtito

@davillain- said:

@kingtito: Then we are in a agreement PSVR will be a successful VR devices.

Can't say it will and can't say it won't...yet but going by Sony's history, I'd say it has a good chance of not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@kingtito: Your "chances" sound a lot like "wishes".

Dogmatic923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Dogmatic923
Member since 2006 • 734 Posts

Good news for me as an XBX owner. Sony is proving there is a viable VR market for consoles. MS will take note and will come out with a more powerful version. Everything Sony does MS will just do better. Thx for the beta test Cows!

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 kingtito

@reduc_ab_ said:

@kingtito: Your "chances" sound a lot like "wishes".

Unlike you ab, I'm not blinded by Sony or anything they do. I'm going by their history, not hope and "wishes". Like I said, I don't wish or hope for the PSVR to fail. I just believe at the rate it's going, Sony will eventually cut support. Don't get so butthurt at my opinions ab cause that's all they are.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#260  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Dogmatic923: As an X owner myself i say let the cows keep the fantasy land, oops i mean VR space, MS should concerntrate on normal video games, not chase the pot of fake gold at the end of the gimmick rainbow.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:
@whatafailure said:

How the turns have tabled, herms and lems. They said PSVR would sell the worst, and now it ends up selling the best.

Now they go "Of course it sells the most because there's lots of PS4s out there." Then why didn't you say that before? There's also lots of PCs out there you know

The reason why PSVR is doing the best is because of its ease of setup.

Rift and Vive have complex setups that make it unattractive.

Though Microsoft's Windows MR setup is very easy to setup. So I expect Windows MR to dominate PC VR and extend that dominance to Xbox consoles.

The reviews say it's worse than Vive and Oculus, so I doubt that.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@whatafailure said:
@daniel_su123 said:
@whatafailure said:

How the turns have tabled, herms and lems. They said PSVR would sell the worst, and now it ends up selling the best.

Now they go "Of course it sells the most because there's lots of PS4s out there." Then why didn't you say that before? There's also lots of PCs out there you know

The reason why PSVR is doing the best is because of its ease of setup.

Rift and Vive have complex setups that make it unattractive.

Though Microsoft's Windows MR setup is very easy to setup. So I expect Windows MR to dominate PC VR and extend that dominance to Xbox consoles.

The reviews say it's worse than Vive and Oculus, so I doubt that.

Depends on the headset. The Samsung Odyssey is pretty decent since it has quite a big improvement in resolution. Windows MR headsets are the easiest to set up and require no external sensors, so it's got a convenience factor going for it. Odyssey is $500 which is inbetween Rift and Vive. The tracking is not that bad really.

It's all about trade-offs. Odyssey would be best for sim racing / virtual desktop applications, and things like that.