Sony sold just under 500,000 PSVR headsets last quarter alone: "PSVR Dominates Newly Resurgent VR Gaming Market"

#1 Edited by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/psvr-dominates-newly-resurgent-vr-gaming-market/

The PSVR continues to utterly dominate the high-end VR headset market. For Q3 2017 alone, Sony has sold 490,000 PSVRs. This places the total number sold at well over 2 million (and climbing!). With the recent release of the PSVR's latest killer app, Skyrim VR (which, by the way, is a dream come true for many, many VR fans, myself included), the news of strong continuing sales is awesome to hear, as it means more support for the peripheral going forward. More great VR times ahead!

From the article:

"Last quarter was the first time that VR headsets collectively moved over a million units, with PSVR making up almost half of all sales [...] :'Sony accounted for nearly half of sales, shifting 490,000 units. Oculus lagged behind at 210,000 units, while HTC sold 160,000. Collectively the big three made up for 86% of the total Q3 2017.'"

#2 Edited by Shewgenja (19511 posts) -

*Gets Schwifty*

Not many people on this board took my side when I said that VR would break through and that the tech was mature enough for the market at large. I stuck to my guns, though. This is delicious!

Avatar image for stereointegrity
#3 Posted by stereointegrity (11819 posts) -

Lems and herms are coming to talk shit... Get ready bro

#4 Edited by I_P_Daily (6870 posts) -

I stopped reading after the high end bit LOL.

EDIT: To elaborate further...

High end, to be of better quality and usually of higher price, and the PSVR is neither, also love the "on the lower end of high end" comment, that's gold LMFAO.

It's mid tier at best.

Also when the guy in charge of all things PSVR that made actual design changes to it says it's not high end you know you've lost the fight cows, just give it up already, he even says it has to be affordable, again something you don't associate with high end.

My work here is done :)

#5 Edited by Shewgenja (19511 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

I don't see why. You've been riding the XBox all gen long. Clearly, a slightly more powerful console can push gaming just a wee bit...

#6 Edited by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@stereointegrity said:

They're usually the first to arrive (like the one that just posted a couple spaces right above this comment). Positive PSVR news sends them into stampede mode.

#7 Posted by Dagubot (247 posts) -

PSVR is a high-end VR headset?

#8 Edited by commander (14581 posts) -

It's selling better because the ps4 is cheap, a lot of people have ps4's and the psvr is cheap. My vr setup costs about 1100$, and that's with some second hand stuff in there as well. I have a rift but vive would even be more expensive.

Not to mention you need some room to do roomscale as well.

I love it, it feels like the nineties all over again, you peasants enjoy those christmas balls.

#9 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1445 posts) -

Skyrim in VR sound sounds too good to be true. Can't wait to try it

#10 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@dagubot said:

PSVR is a high-end VR headset?

It's the lowest of the high-end, resolution-wise. The big three are PSVR, Vive, and Oculus, with the latter two being more powerful than PSVR. Something like Samsung Gear is low-end.

#11 Edited by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

*Gets Schwifty*

Not many people on this board took my side when I said that VR would break through and that the tech was mature enough for the market at large. I stuck to my guns, though. This is delicious!

Yep. Basically most, if not all, of the lems and a few sheep swore up and down PSVR would fail. Feels pretty tingly to prove them wrong. ;)

#12 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@commander said:

It's selling better because the ps4 is cheap, a lot of people have ps4's and the psvr is cheap. My vr setup costs about 1100$, and that's with some second hand stuff in there as well. I have a rift but vive would even be more expensive.

I love it, it feels like the nineties all over again, you peasants enjoy those christmas balls.

Actually, I'm enjoying living inside of Skyrim. ;) How about you?

#13 Posted by KBFloYd (19363 posts) -

500k is pretty good for 3 months after youve been in the market for a while. but PSVR just launched last christmas.

definitely not the success that the wii was. Still a good side peripheral to pass the time though. if it sold 2 million in 1 year. that is pretty decent.

#14 Posted by xantufrog (8655 posts) -

@commander: plenty of things that are cheap don't have the market share. Like the X1. It seems a bit dismissive to say "eh, Civics are only selling well because they are cheaper than A4s". Nothing wrong with those who only feel comfortable going in on a Civic instead of an A4 - especially in this case where the tech in question is kind of just barely proving itself and the risk of investing too much in a dud is offputting

#15 Posted by DaVillain- (28360 posts) -

It's always nice seeing VR in general is doing great beyond expectations.

#16 Posted by kuu2 (10421 posts) -

Still hasn’t sold as many units as Kinect and that was an abject failure right Cows.

The VR fad is about to run out of steam. By the end of 2018 these things will be $100.

#18 Posted by I_P_Daily (6870 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

500k is pretty good for 3 months after youve been in the market for a while. but PSVR just launched last christmas.

definitely not the success that the wii was. Still a good side peripheral to pass the time though. if it sold 2 million in 1 year. that is pretty decent.

Don't you remember the Superdata thread that predicted it would sell a shit ton in it's first 6 months and all the cows were taking it as gospel, only to call Superdata hacks when the actual sales came in, man they were fun times lol.

#19 Posted by Chutebox (43463 posts) -

I was close to buying one, but I need more software for it.

#20 Posted by JtoThaMtoThaP (817 posts) -

Feel bad for those people

#21 Posted by kingtito (9174 posts) -

So what's the attach rate with the PS4 then? 5% or less hahahaha and you're making another thread to claim it's a success? It's a peripheral with less than 5% of the base after a full year and only getting bigger. 24M kinects and cows called it a failure, what would you call 2M then? An epic, monstrous colossal failure?

#22 Posted by navyguy21 (14823 posts) -

Pretty good for PSVR, but it's not high end. It's more consumer level than anything else. Vive and Rift are high end. PSVRs screen resolution and refresh rate are too low for high end. It's great with the right game though. Skyrim isn't one of them imo. Maybe fallout 4 will be better. My wife wants to get a VR set and I'm thinking the PSVR for her since we just got the Pro

#23 Edited by commander (14581 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:
@commander said:

you can have it, vr without proper tracking and 360 degree roomscale isn't enough for me. Not to mention the game actually looks worse than the ps3 version on psvr. I'll probably play it on the pc with mods, but I'm looking more forward to fallout 4 vr, since it is a much newer game. It's also a game I haven't actually finished yet. Skyrim on the other hand, I finished like three times. I can wait.

#24 Posted by DaVillain- (28360 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

Pretty good for PSVR, but it's not high end. It's more consumer level than anything else. Vive and Rift are high end. PSVRs screen resolution and refresh rate are too low for high end. It's great with the right game though. Skyrim isn't one of them imo. Maybe fallout 4 will be better. My wife wants to get a VR set and I'm thinking the PSVR for her since we just got the Pro

The games on PS4 for the VR exclusive games kinda makes up for owning a PSVR and I heard lots of praises using PSVR to play Resident Evil 7 in VR is the best one out there. So I think your wife would enjoy RE7 VR experience.

I'll still get a HTC Vive however, now that I finally got myself a GTX 1080Ti from Cyber Monday, I'll go get a Vive next year.

#25 Posted by I_P_Daily (6870 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@i_p_daily said:

I don't see why. You've been riding the XBox all gen long. Clearly, a slightly more powerful console can push gaming just a wee bit...

Hey if/when MS make a VR unit I will pour tons of shit on it also, and if PSVR is pushing gaming it's in a backwards direction LOL.

#26 Edited by QuadKnight (10004 posts) -

Looks like I didn’t get in here before the salty lemmings and hermits. This is great news for PSVR. More people getting into VR is awesome news as I feel it’s the best new addition to gaming in recent times, and it’s nice that Sony is leading the charge in making it mainstream.

😂 @ the usual butthurt suspects that predicted it would flop though. Misery loves company. I guess when your system of choice is a failure with no VR option you want others to fail like you.

#27 Edited by commander (14581 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@navyguy21 said:

The games on PS4 for the VR exclusive games kinda makes up for owning a PSVR and I heard lots of praises using PSVR to play Resident Evil 7 in VR is the best one out there. So I think your wife would enjoy RE7 VR experience.

I'll still get a HTC Vive however, now that I finally got myself a GTX 1080Ti from Cyber Monday, I'll go get a Vive next year.

I doesn't make up for it, the pc has a lot more content. Sure you can pull the skyrim vr card for a couple of weeks, but after december 12th it's gg.

#28 Posted by navyguy21 (14823 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@navyguy21 said:

Unfortunately she hates scary movies and games. It's why I own RE7 on PC and have never played it lol. I have to do some research on PSVR though, I know a ton of PC games for VR but not many good PSVR games. She likes games like overcooked, simple games like that. Hopefully Minecraft gets VR support, that's right up her alley

#29 Edited by QuadKnight (10004 posts) -

@commander: Davillain is right, it makes up for it. After Skyrim VR we are getting Ace Combat VR and Z.O.E VR. The cool thing about PSVR is that somehow Sony manages to secure big name exclusives first.

PC VR is pretty cool too but the lack of big name games is a problem for me. Quantity is nice but quality will always win out for me. Luckily for me I don’t need to choose since I also can use my PSVR to play VR games on my Steam library thanks to Trinus VR.

#30 Posted by Heil68 (57942 posts) -

SONY leading the market with innovation, technology to make world class gaming.

#31 Edited by commander (14581 posts) -

@quadknight said:

@commander: Davillain is right, it makes up for it. After Skyrim VR we are getting Ace Combat VR and Z.O.E VR. The cool thing about PSVR is that somehow Sony manages to secure big name exclusives first.

PC VR is pretty cool too but the lack of big name games is a problem for me. Quantity is nice but quality will always win out for me. Luckily for me I don’t need to choose since I also can use my PSVR to play VR games on my Steam library thanks to Trinus VR.

You're playing the quality card with psvr? I would really like to see you use a scope on a sniper rifle with those neon lights. Besides, the pc doesn't only have more content, it also has better content. We got games like robo recall, lone echo and arktika, no psvr game can touch that. It's only going to be worse when fallout 4 releases

#32 Posted by xhawk27 (10349 posts) -

I guess they are doing better now. How many rifts are selling now since it's price drop.

#33 Posted by DaVillain- (28360 posts) -

@commander said:

I doesn't make up for it, the pc has a lot more content. Sure you can pull the skyrim vr card for a couple of weeks, but after december 12th it's gg.

Dude, Skyrim is just a tip of the ice berg, the rest on PS4 VR exclusive games makes up to owning a PSVR in the first place, as evidence shown by Ms. Reduc_Ab_ and I'm aware PC has lots of content in terms of VR (which is why I'm still getting a Vive later on) but even I can admit, PSVR has good exclusive VR games, hell even RE7 VR looks creepy as hell from what I seen. Trust me, there are lots of PSVR exclusive games now more so and the price of PSVR has come down as well.

#34 Posted by QuadKnight (10004 posts) -

@commander: You ever heard of the aim controller for PSVR? Yea, it destroys every other input method when it comes to immersion in VR shooting games. You need to try it sometime dude. None of those games you mentioned touch RE7 VR, you need to try it first before you start making any claims. RE7 VR is legit, there’s a reason why it’s pretty much guaranteed to win most of the VR GOTY awards this year.

#35 Posted by I_P_Daily (6870 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

SONY bleeding the market with movie games to make world ass gaming.

I 100% agree with you Heil :)

#36 Posted by cainetao11 (33473 posts) -

Enjoy it.

#37 Posted by JoshRMeyer (9206 posts) -

@reduc_ab_: Does this include the ones sold on black Friday? That's when I got mine. There's some really good games and some really junky ones... I hope people don't judge it by the bad ones.

#38 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@commander said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@commander said:

you can have it, vr without proper tracking and 360 degree roomscale isn't enough for me. Not to mention the game actually looks worse than the ps3 version on psvr. I'll probably play it on the pc with mods, but I'm looking more forward to fallout 4 vr, since it is a much newer game. It's also a game I haven't actually finished yet. Skyrim on the other hand, I finished like three times. I can wait.

Skyrim VR has been one of the best gaming experiences of my life thus far. **shrugs**

#39 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (15568 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:
@stereointegrity said:

They're usually the first to arrive (like the one that just posted a couple spaces right above this comment). Positive PSVR news sends them into stampede mode.

Lol, sounds just like cows with XB1 X.

#40 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@joshrmeyer said:

@reduc_ab_: Does this include the ones sold on black Friday? That's when I got mine. There's some really good games and some really junky ones... I hope people don't judge it by the bad ones.

No, it's for Q3. Black Friday, as far as I know, falls in Q4. So the sales for PSVR should be extremely good by the end of the year. And, yeah, there is plenty of shovelware. You have to kinda dig through it all to find the gems. That being said, there are many awesome PSVR games in there if you're willing to look.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#41 Edited by storm_of_swords (2022 posts) -

I just think it's a shame that so many people's first impression of VR will be with such a subpar headset since VR is capable of so much more. PSVR is not capable of room-scale and it does not have great tracking. These things are critical to a really amazing VR experience in my opinion and VR without those things gets old quickly.

VR with room-scale, on the other hand, is incredible and addicting, and I wish more people could experience that because if they did then you would not have so many people ignorantly calling it a gimmick. While PSVR makes VR more accessible, I think it overall hurts VR more than it helps because it delivers a first impression that does not show how incredible VR can really be. Plus, the lack of proper room-scale can lead to many people, myself included, experiencing nausea which would also lead to a bad first impression of VR and then these people would not be eager to try VR again even though nausea is almost never an issue with games that make use of room-scale.

#42 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

At last! A positive comment about PSVR from you! ;)

#43 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@quadknight said:

@commander: You ever heard of the aim controller for PSVR? Yea, it destroys every other input method when it comes to immersion in VR shooting games. You need to try it sometime dude. None of those games you mentioned touch RE7 VR, you need to try it first before you start making any claims. RE7 VR is legit, there’s a reason why it’s pretty much guaranteed to win most of the VR GOTY awards this year.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what's up with him. He was positive, or at least neutral, about PSVR a while ago, but lately it seems like he just feels the need to be down on it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know about the Aim controller, or else he's just ignoring that it exists. Using the Aim makes rifle handling a breeze with PSVR. On top of that, the PSVR has the biggest name games so far among the higher end headsets. It's like he's ignoring all that. **shrugs**

#44 Posted by JoshRMeyer (9206 posts) -

@reduc_ab_: I've found a few... Raw data was a fun demo... Didn't expect that. Tried playing elder scrolls but it's just not working for me. Teleportation is dumb... Swinging a sword is Wii dumb lol. Best setup was just using the controller but something still feels off. Only played for about an hour so I'll give it another go. Thumper and Moss are awesome. Still have a bunch more demos to try out.

#45 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5547 posts) -

@joshrmeyer said:

@reduc_ab_: I've found a few... Raw data was a fun demo... Didn't expect that. Tried playing elder scrolls but it's just not working for me. Teleportation is dumb... Swinging a sword is Wii dumb lol. Best setup was just using the controller but something still feels off. Only played for about an hour so I'll give it another go. Thumper and Moss are awesome. Still have a bunch more demos to try out.

Teleportation? You do realize that the move controllers support full locomotion for Skyrim VR? You have to get deep into the control options. There are many options you can use. And Raw Data is feakin' awesome! Same with Thumper and Moss. Go over on reddit /PSVR. You'll see plenty of recommendations over there.

#46 Posted by JoshRMeyer (9206 posts) -

@reduc_ab_: Thanks! Yeah I just need to figure out a better control scheme.

#47 Posted by PSP107 (16929 posts) -

@Chutebox: "I was close to buying one,"

How close?

"but I need more software for it."

What type of software you had in mind?

#48 Edited by Chutebox (43463 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@Chutebox: "I was close to buying one,"

How close?

"but I need more software for it."

What type of software you had in mind?

Literally one click away.

Just more games I'm interested in.

#49 Posted by KBFloYd (19363 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@KBFloYd said:

Don't you remember the Superdata thread that predicted it would sell a shit ton in it's first 6 months and all the cows were taking it as gospel, only to call Superdata hacks when the actual sales came in, man they were fun times lol.

yea, the backtracking on that was lols...cant say 2 million in 1 year is the success they wanted for sure. not quite the flop vive and rift was but still.

#50 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (793 posts) -

@Heil68: Sony is NOT an innovative company.