jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Since PS5 will apparently run games from PS1-PS4 via backwards compatibility, Sony should bring back the servers to all of their games they’ve killed the last few years.

Motorstorm trilogy, Killzone trilogy, Resistance Trilogy, Uncharted 2-3, SOCOM, PS Allstars, Twisted Metal, Starhawk, etc.

We pay $60 a year for PS Plus so if all these games are going to be available to be played on PS5 let’s make them playable in their best and original form.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

PS5 is supposed to run PS3 games without PSNow? Interesting, I'm just now hearing this.

They are throwing a cell processor in there too?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jcrame10

@remiks00: that’s what rumors say, just google and you’ll find a bunch of articles. Here’s one

https://hitz.com.my/trending/tech-gizmos/playstation-5-backwards-compatibility-feature-ps4

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jcrame10

@remiks00: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/news/gaming-ps5-could-be-backwards-compatible-with-games-from-ps1-ps2-ps3-ps4-20200103.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility-ps4-ps3-ps2-ps1-rumors/amp/

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Ah okay, thanks @jcrame10

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

I've been hoping they would make this thing fully backwards compatible. Will wait for an official announcement before I get too excited, but rumors are a good sign.

And yeah, that would be neat for them to bring back some old servers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony makes it full BC, BUT only through PS NOW, I mean do you think Sony is just going to shut PS NOW???

Has Sony come out and said FULL BC at NO COST??? I don't keep up with the stuff Sony says unless its posted on here, but I haven't yet read an article with any Sony faceman come out and state the full BC details.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

PS5 having full BC would be a dream come true. But you expect Sony to restart servers of old games? hahaha! Offline is all we gonna get and we should be happy, sadly. Many people would rather go back to play better multiplayer games than some PS5 movies.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jcrame10

@i_p_daily: they said they’re working on it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/ps5-backwards-compatibility/

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

They should but they’re not going to.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Thats a nice thought but I seriously doubt they'll do any of that. They're too cheap.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X: Adding backwards compatability helped the Xbox when 1st party games were drying up. Bringing that in would give Sony yet another advantage.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Would be nice to see it on certain games. I hate that AAA 1st party games get shut off in the first place. I mean how much does it really cost to maintain? I guess at some level there's no point to keep it going, but even if the stats and official servers get taken down all games should at least have some playable mode in a peer-to-peer connection. I just think when a game gets taken down, it should get a final patch that allows peer-to-peer online into perpetuity.... and really it's kind of lame the stats get taken down. Even if you do peer-to-peer matchmaking, just keeping the stats server alive should be a no brainier. If just a few people are playing, that means it takes almost no resources to keep up.

Obviously the reason they pull the plug in general is because the online was dead (or dying) even before the console is dead. So if they just reconnected them all en masse, even as part of backwards compatibility, they'd probably still be dead. However, if they rolled out some selected ones (and newly listed them on the PS5 store), maybe you get small groups playing for a short while.

Problem is they probably deleted leader-board data and stats. Those servers are likely GONE. So even if they did "bring them back", I bet you have to start at square one again.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I would like to play some Killzone 2 and Starhawk again though, especially if PS5 improves the framerate and resolution.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

As much as I would like to see this for a few games I doubt very seriously it will happen. UNLESS they have some sort of system in play where people can PAY to open servers for certain games. Kind of like you can in Battlefield games when creating custom servers.

Actually.. come to think of it, I think I just had a great idea.. lol. I think both SONY or MS would make a killing off of doing this.. lol.

Can you imagine if they gave us the opportunity to pay like $15 a month to open up a server on a game like SOCOM 2 or SOCOM Confrontation? There would be anywhere from a couple dozen to a couple hundred servers up at nearly all times and it wouldn't cost them a dime... or they could open their own servers and charge people like $9.99 a month to play on them.. fanfare, making profit, and a cool service? Sign me up. :)

I mean it won't happen... but it would be cool. :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

They can allow the PS5 to be servers like they did with the PS3. :o

I do hope they have full BC. That would make the PS5 the ultimate system hands down for supporting PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4 and PS5.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

Since PS5 will apparently run games from PS1-PS4 via backwards compatibility, Sony should bring back the servers to all of their games they’ve killed the last few years.

Motorstorm trilogy, Killzone trilogy, Resistance Trilogy, Uncharted 2-3, SOCOM, PS Allstars, Twisted Metal, Starhawk, etc.

We pay $60 a year for PS Plus so if all these games are going to be available to be played on PS5 let’s make them playable in their best and original form.

backwards compatability? Or emulation?

I can see them saying BC now but then when it comes out, it's a pack of old PS games you have to pay for and download and they're like "Oh, well, you're playing previous PS games on a current PS, that's backwards compatability hyuk hyuk"

True BC would be you stick your PS2 disc in a PS5 and it plays it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@jcrame10 said:

backwards compatability? Or emulation?

I can see them saying BC now but then when it comes out, it's a pack of old PS games you have to pay for and download and they're like "Oh, well, you're playing previous PS games on a current PS, that's backwards compatability hyuk hyuk"

True BC would be you stick your PS2 disc in a PS5 and it plays it.

That is preferred BC not "true" BC.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jcrame10

@2Chalupas: Sony has been really bad about servers, they’ve shut down nearly every first party server on PS3 by now. Some of them were shut down after only a few years after the games release.

They’re even shutting down PS4 servers which is terrible considering PS4 is still current gen AND users pay for PS Plus...which...I thought...was the whole point for server maintenance and fees? Driveclub goes offline this March.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jcrame10

@WitIsWisdom: that would cool but expecting people to pay $10 or $15 a month for game servers would be ridiculous. I already pay $60 a year for PS Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@jcrame10 said:

@i_p_daily: they said they’re working on it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/ps5-backwards-compatibility/

Interesting as the articles states that Sony hasn't come out and said it will be free or if it will be through PS NOW.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony tried to tie it to PS NOW, but it should be free and common sense should mean it is, but you just never know with gaming companies.

I do find it interesting that Sony can't even clarify if its free or not, how can they not at least say that much.

Maybe they're trying to turn everything PS5 into an event like that stupid logo reveal at CES, biggest waste of time if there ever was one.

And no Sony will never turn on/bring back old servers when they can't even keep the ones they have this gen up & running until the end of this gen.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Sony didn’t say that the PS5 will play games from the PS1-PS5. It’s just a rumor, so please don’t come back here and say Sony lied to you if it doesn’t happen.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WitIsWisdom

@jcrame10 said:

@WitIsWisdom: that would cool but expecting people to pay $10 or $15 a month for game servers would be ridiculous. I already pay $60 a year for PS Plus

Yeah, I know man, but imagine if clans could pay for the servers as a combined effort and then anyone could join that server. However, much like how they did it with Battlefield 4 those that were admins could tweak the servers to their own custom rules. Even if games like SOCOM and SOCOM 2 only had 10-20 servers up (or if they had deal like you buy a server for one games and it worked across 1,2,3, and Confrontation (can only be open for one at any time) I think it would be a hit.

I know there are rumors of a new SOCOM coming near launch, but who knows on that aspect yet... I might not keep a server running for years, but I could easily see myself throwing down $10-$15 a month here and there to get my boys back together on some of our old favorites (it could work with a lot of games, not just SOCOM, I was just using that as an example).

It's really a win/win situation for SONY or MS to do something like that too. They could have the games and servers that people pay for open for FREE to those who simply subscribe to something like PS+ or Game Pass. Not only would that get others interested in getting their own servers, but it would keep the servers full that were paid for.

Maybe not exactly how I laid it out, but I can see something like this working out very well.

With that one franchise alone I could see them remastering them first 3 and opening up servers eventually anyways though.. kind of like the Halo Masterchief Collection.

The cool thing about the idea is it really wouldn't cost SONY much if anything at all, and even if the money they made from it didn't break any numbers it would be a fanfare service that would easily sell them a lot more consoles which would eventually effect their bottom line in a good way.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

They should also make a new SOCOM while they are at it. I would also like to see them volunteer servers for Demon's Souls again.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jcrame10

@mazuiface: there are rumors of SOCOM getting a reboot from Guerrilla Games, also Resistance may as well

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@mazuiface said:

They should also make a new SOCOM while they are at it. I would also like to see them volunteer servers for Demon's Souls again.

Oh for sure man.. without a doubt. That is actually one of the big rumors (the next SOCOM game being a launch or near launch title for the PS5), and although I don't usually put to much hope into rumors that's the one franchise/game that I really care about and would like to be true... My favorite all time online multiplayer franchise of all time and it isn't even close.

I am excited for Rogue Company (Free to play, cross play, objective/round based, one life 3rd person shooter releasing on all platforms ((PC, all three consoles, even cellular)) , H-Hour: Worlds Elite (which is supposed to come to PS4 eventually, but things are looking iffy to say the least). and Task Force (which is supposed to come to Xbox One eventually, but the console side of things are starting to look bleak as well).

The rumor is that Guerrilla Games 2nd team is working on a 3rd person military shooter and it is heavily speculated to be SOCOM. It could also be Killzone or a new IP though. They hired team members that needed a tactical background and those who worked on past SOCOM and Rainbow 6 games though, so a lot of people are leaning towards thinking it's SOCOM since Killzone wouldn't really need tactical guidance.

A "leak" take that for whatever you will... (with a grain of salt, etc.) says that the new SOCOM game is very similar to SOCOM Confrontation with the armor types, encumbrance system, and gameplay, but is updated to have operators similar to Rainbow 6 Siege and battle passes and cosmetics and all that jazz as well to bring the game into the modern spectrum of things. It is also rumored that the engine used will allow for complete environmental and building destruction.

Like I said... rumors... nothing to take to the bank, but exciting none the less. One thing is for sure, and that is the fact that it would be about damn time.

With SONY talking about how they need a fast attachment rate and that they are going to push the multiplayer aspect harder next generation, it isn't a stretch to believe the rumor/s at least.

All I know is that if they announce SOCOM 5 (or whatever they call it) as a launch title that is exclusive to the PS5... I would come unglued.

As long as one of the two pushes a few exclusives early on I'll be ok. Nothing wrong with taking drastically different paths (MS/SONY) if they both eventually lead to the same outlet. Just give me great new games and experiences, SONY can bring the next gen feel a little easier and MS can bring the value and likely better services.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

So people here actual info from Xbox and tried to spin as worst thing ever.

People here random ass rumors and believing anything that makes PS5 sound cool. People who think PS5 will play PS3 and PS1 discs are crazy. What is even crazier, thinking they'd bring back on servers to play online with the old games. I hope I'm wrong, but just blows my mind people think the most anti-consumer company gives a shit, they literally said no one gives a shit about the old games, so doubt they gonna bother.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Interesting as the articles states that Sony hasn't come out and said it will be free or if it will be through PS NOW.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony tried to tie it to PS NOW, but it should be free and common sense should mean it is, but you just never know with gaming companies.

I do find it interesting that Sony can't even clarify if its free or not, how can they not at least say that much.

Maybe they're trying to turn everything PS5 into an event like that stupid logo reveal at CES, biggest waste of time if there ever was one.

And no Sony will never turn on/bring back old servers when they can't even keep the ones they have this gen up & running until the end of this gen.

BC will not be through PSN that would certainly not be BC.

Sony hasn't confirm PS3 BC,and regardless of they making it work their would be another problem,they would have to pay Nvidia for emulating their hardware just like MS had to do.

Stop trying to claim they will charge for BC,PS Now is not BC and never has been,MS charge you for 360 and xbox games on gamepass that means they are officially charging for BC by your argument.

Yeah sony can't keep servers up now when they are making more money than ever from games,and charge $60 a year for online play,do you know they have dedicated servers on PS2 and PS3 when they didn't even charge for online play?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@saltslasher said:

People here random ass rumors and believing anything that makes PS5 sound cool. People who think PS5 will play PS3 and PS1 discs are crazy. What is even crazier, thinking they'd bring back on servers to play online with the old games. I hope I'm wrong, but just blows my mind people think the most anti-consumer company gives a shit, they literally said no one gives a shit about the old games, so doubt they gonna bother.

Say what?

Isn't MS the only company charging people to play free to play games online when no one else does?

Who introduced charging for online play?

Who wanted to end the used games market,and turn your console into a non working plastic box if your internet went down for more than 24 hours?

BC wasn't on MS mind either,and what the xbox one has certainly is not BC,BC means you can insert a game and it will work on said hardware,exmaple PS1 games on PS2,PS3 games on Fat PS3,but what MS does is make you download a digital version of the disc you own,that version is custom to work on xbox one,but your disc will certainly not work straight out by inserting it.

Before the PS4 all PS had BC but the first one,so yeah before the xbox was even release already the PS2 was BC with more than 4,000 games so anticonsumer hardly.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Where my Demon's Souls at?

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Curious, what do you think happens to these old servers when they stop hosting games? Do they get closed off in a room to go dusty waiting for someone to turn them back on?

Of course they don't. When online games are retired the hardware is either used for new games or retired/scrapped completely.

If games have dedicated online servers, there's only so much hardware and data centres. It's not unlimited yo know.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Curious, what do you think happens to these old servers when they stop hosting games? Do they get closed off in a room to go dusty waiting for someone to turn them back on?

Of course they don't. When online games are retired the hardware is either used for new games or retired scrapped completely.

If games have dedicated online servers, there's only so much hardware and data centres. It's not unlimited you know.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WitIsWisdom

@Bond007uk said:

Of course they don't. When online games are retired the hardware is either used for new games or retired scrapped completely.

If games have dedicated online servers, there's only so much hardware and data centres. It's not unlimited you know.

What does that have to do with them opening some new servers for old games? Everything you said is a given.

Sure it is unlikely to happen, but it's a cool idea. Nothing wrong with thinking about the possibilities even if it never happens. It's not like crazier things haven't happened in the past.

Both companies are trying to come up with different ideas to position themselves next gen and it's not like it isn't something that is asked for all the time... so who knows.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WitIsWisdom
@Sevenizz said:

Sony’s marketing department is retarded. First they tell us no one cares about old games and now they double down with their entire catalogue of games?

lol.. that is pretty funny.

I'm pretty sure it was just the one guy who probably wishes he wouldn't have said that now. Most of these big wig talking heads don't know what actual gamers want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@tormentos said:
@i_p_daily said:

BC will not be through PSN that would certainly not be BC.

Sony hasn't confirm PS3 BC,and regardless of they making it work their would be another problem,they would have to pay Nvidia for emulating their hardware just like MS had to do.

Stop trying to claim they will charge for BC,PS Now is not BC and never has been,MS charge you for 360 and xbox games on gamepass that means they are officially charging for BC by your argument.

Yeah sony can't keep servers up now when they are making more money than ever from games,and charge $60 a year for online play,do you know they have dedicated servers on PS2 and PS3 when they didn't even charge for online play?

Learn to comprehend what you read as my post never claimed they would charge for BC, only that it wouldn't surprise IF they did you muppet.

Yeah Sony's making bank with charging for MP when they create very little themselves and have closed a few servers this gen,, what frauds they are.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

That sounds like an unnecessary cost for Sony and pretty silly to hope for.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3047 Posts

I said they should do something like this over a decade ago. They should create a service (I called it PlayStation Hub, which is apparently what Home was gonna be named) where they take classic games and heavily discount them, fire up a couple servers, then run weekly/monthly tournaments.

That aspect is more of an afterthought though; the true point was to have the service be an outside leaderboard that tracked standard stats (kdr, w/l, accuracy) across all shooters. I'm not sure when or why clans died out, but they can be extremely affective at retaining a playerbase for basically free.

Just recently learning that PlayStation already has some tournament program makes this seem more doable than ever. Why not do it Sony? Give the people air!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos: PS4 already has PS2 BC with the PS4 OS. There are hacks to enable PS2 BC software to operate without Sony's paywall.

PS5's higher CPU power may enable PS3 BC and may take heavy software engineering work to fully complete it. Sony's system software engineers can be worst than PC's unofficial open-source PS3 emulator efforts.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
@tormentos said:
@saltslasher said:

Say what?

Isn't MS the only company charging people to play free to play games online when no one else does?

Who introduced charging for online play?

Who wanted to end the used games market,and turn your console into a non working plastic box if your internet went down for more than 24 hours?

BC wasn't on MS mind either,and what the xbox one has certainly is not BC,BC means you can insert a game and it will work on said hardware,exmaple PS1 games on PS2,PS3 games on Fat PS3,but what MS does is make you download a digital version of the disc you own,that version is custom to work on xbox one,but your disc will certainly not work straight out by inserting it.

Before the PS4 all PS had BC but the first one,so yeah before the xbox was even release already the PS2 was BC with more than 4,000 games so anticonsumer hardly.

XBO's semi-custom GPU has Xbox 360's hardware FP10 support. GCN is a relative from X360 GPU i.e. both are Direct3D GPUs with wide data structures being similar.

XBO's weak CPU will need static translation methods to emulate PPE at sufficient performance levels which are not major issues for stronger Zen v2 CPUs. PowerPC data files are big-endian formated while X86 data files are little-endian, hence the need for static translation for weak CPUs.

XBO's Xbox 360 BC still has JIT(Just-In-Time) re-complier for the situations that are unsuited for static translation e.g. self-modifying code.

The fastest emulation method is the static translation with dynamic JIT-re-complier which is used by Apple's Rosetta and Digital Equipment Corp(DEC)'s FX32. Apple's Rosetta static translates and saves the resulting program on disk storage while MS's downloaded Xbox 360 BC games are already static translated.

GCNs are little-endian formatted like X86 CPUs.

I based my comments on reading WinUAE's 68K big-endian to X86 little-endian emulation engine source code and reading whitepapers on FX32 and Rosetta. Recent WinUAE has support for PowerPC AmigaOS which is copied from QEMU's JIT PowerPC emulation module. There are technical reasons for not using emulated Wii's JIT PowerPC emulation module i.e. MMU wasn't fully emulated. There was a cross-pollination between QEMU's PowerPC emulation module with PearPC. Open source PS3 emulator has VMX-128 and SPE instruction set handling which doesn't exist from PowerPC Macs and Game Cube/Wii/Wii U emulators.