Sony releases new sales numbers - 106 million PS4 units sold! 5 million VR, and more.

• 54 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45089 Posts

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-ps4-psvr-sales-data-ces-2020/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Kudos to you, Sony. I guess the question is - will it surpass the PS2? It's a tough call.. but maybe if they lower it to $200 it will get the needed boost. What do you think, SW?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

And Sony continues to dominate the gaming world. It's definitely the only current-gen console to reach that milestone and rather you like Sony or not, they totally earn it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

That's impressive to say the least. 103 mill monthly users out 106 mill systems sold is saying a lot of about it.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

As expected!!! and of course well deserved!!!

As for will it surpass the ps2??? Maybe with a drastic price cut.

Time will tell.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@sovkhan said:

As expected!!! and of course well deserved!!!

As for will it surpass the ps2??? Maybe with a drastic price cut.

Time will tell.

I'm still surprised we haven't had a $199 price point yet. There's been $250 with 3 games, but not $199.

I feel like PS4 can get to 120 million or so with a $199 price. (or lower)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Yep! Another million sold for PSVR. At over 5 million sold, PSVR remains the leader by a large margin of individual non-mobile VR headsets. In other words, PSVR2 is on the way!!

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#7 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

Congrats to Sony

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

PSVR is on life support.

And with the latest sales figures it getting worse :)

Its nice to see PC VR is shit also and on its death bed, but, but Half Life lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily: I'll play along. How is 4.2 million PSVR sales is consider bad? No one didn't expect VR as a whole to be easy to sell. Some sells is better then no sales.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Amazing number.

Now on to next gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: I'll play along. How is 4.2 million PSVR sales is consider bad? No one didn't expect VR as a whole to be easy to sell. Some sells is better then no sales.

PSVR is over 5 million sold now...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Well MS stepped over their fans by dumping kinect wasting their money and dumping exclusives to chase Sony sales. I'm sure they must not be too far behind and have a lot to show for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@davillain- said:

Because VR nutjobs will be claiming it to be a success when its a colossal failure. When you have a userbase of 106 million and less than 5% buys the VR component even after multiple sales and more than 3yrs on the market its a failure.

Put it this way the Kinect sold more in 90 days than the PSVR has sold lifetime, and we all know the Kinect was a failure right?

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@i_p_daily: You ever tried VR?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator

@r-gamer said:

The answer is obviously no and he has a vendetta against VR.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

Because VR nutjobs will be claiming it to be a success when its a colossal failure. When you have a userbase of 106 million and less than 5% buys the VR component even after multiple sales and more than 3yrs on the market its a failure.

Put it this way the Kinect sold more in 90 days than the PSVR has sold lifetime, and we all know the Kinect was a failure right?

Lemming Propaganda Network has, as usual, left out vital information on purpose. We've covered this territory many many times, and yet you continue to parrot the same things like a malfunctioning bot.

Kinect was nowhere near the cost of a PSVR (which, included with the Move controllers, was in many places MORE than the price of a console itself!), and Kinect was a forced pack-in as well (numbers which MS used often). If Kinect cost as much as a PSVR, it would have been around 5% or lower too. The difference between PSVR's 5% is that VR has strong allies outside too who are seeing a rise in success (Index and Oculus sales have steadily gone up over the years, and VR becoming more popular and more searched across the world). Kinect, on the other hand, was an island of tech buffoonery, never to be seen again nor talked about. It's only trotted out in arguments like this to boast about numbers due to a cheaper price and forced bundles. Notice not a single one is talking about the games/software it had or its future potential. It had none, and actually angered many Xbox One fans. There are words used by them to describe the Xbox One Kinect in comments sections that I can't repeat here!

When you "win" this way, all you've really won is pity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@r-gamer said:

Lol, no, he hasn't. He's never played a single VR game, or used a single VR headset in any way. This dude has been coming into VR threads for years on end acting like he's an expert on everything VR--and he has absolutely zero experience with VR. He is simply obsessed with VR and VR fans. He's pretty much the laughingstock of this forum--for more reasons than one, mind you.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@davillain-: it’s simple math there’s 106 millions PS4’s out there. There is only 5 million PSVR’s out there. The only place you can play a PSVR is with a PS4. That’s a pretty meh attach rate.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@whatafailure said:
@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

Lemming Propaganda Network has, as usual, left out vital information on purpose. We've covered this territory many many times, and yet you continue to parrot the same things like a malfunctioning bot.

Kinect was nowhere near the cost of a PSVR (which, included with the Move controllers, was in many places MORE than the price of a console itself!), and Kinect was a forced pack-in as well (numbers which MS used often). If Kinect cost as much as a PSVR, it would have been around 5% or lower too. The difference between PSVR's 5% is that VR has strong allies outside too who are seeing a rise in success (Index and Oculus sales have steadily gone up over the years, and VR becoming more popular and more searched across the world). Kinect, on the other hand, was an island of tech buffoonery, never to be seen again nor talked about. It's only trotted out in arguments like this to boast about numbers due to a cheaper price and forced bundles. Notice not a single one is talking about the games/software it had or its future potential. It had none, and actually angered many Xbox One fans. There are words used by them to describe the Xbox One Kinect in comments sections that I can't repeat here!

Holy crap! The Ownage is real!

@i_p_daily: what you gonna do?

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-ps4-psvr-sales-data-ces-2020/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Kudos to you, Sony. I guess the question is - will it surpass the PS2? It's a tough call.. but maybe if they lower it to $200 it will get the needed boost. What do you think, SW?

Very good for gaming in general. The medium is growing. Many who grow up during Generation 3 & 4 are still gaming casually. This is solid news for the future of consoles. Can it catch the Nintendo Gameboy numbers?

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

This says something about online playing and offline playing. Since there are 103 monthly users who play PS4 and only 38 million are PS subscriber. So, it could possibly mean that more people enjoy playing offline than online. This just gives a hint that offline is more popular than online playing. We really need better info about this subject.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@davillain- said:

And Sony continues to dominate the gaming world. It's definitely the only current-gen console to reach that milestone and rather you like Sony or not, they totally earn it.

You confused them with Tencent!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC_Rocks
@npiet1 said:

That's impressive to say the least. 103 mill monthly users out 106 mill systems sold is saying a lot of about it.

It's not just PS4. The important metric is PS+ subscribers.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#24 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts
@r-gamer said:

Coolyfett has! Its awesome technology, they just need some killer apps. VR needs to unify spec wise. The PC headsets and PSVR are too expensive for casuals. Headset makers need gens & crossplay. Xbox also needs headset capability, even if they do not produce their own hardware. All First Person games should be VR games.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

@watercrack445: It also says a lot about the PS4's media features.

I'm sure most of the 100+ million monthly users just turn on their PS4s to watch Netflix/Youtube/Disney+. I know I've played maybe 3 hours of games on the PS4 in the past 6 months, but watched well over 50 hours of TV shows.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator

@pc_rocks said:
@davillain- said:

You confused them with Tencent!

Well, I didn't want to feel sorry for Sony, so I just tell'em what they wanna hear ;)

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

Impressive sales but I can't see the PS4 surpassing the PS5. Especially now with the PS5 looming in the horizon.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

106 mill

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robert_sparkes

106 million a pretty incredible number maybe pushing towards 10-15 when TLOU 2 is released.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R-Gamer

@subspecies: I tried the PS VR for the first time two days ago and it's absolutely amazing. Only reason I didn't buy it immediately after was because I'm going to wait for the PS VR2.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 robert_sparkes

VR would need to be about £99.99 before I'd try it. I've never had any type of interest in it but can see why people want it around.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 npiet1

@pc_rocks said:
@npiet1 said:

? it's say's just PS4 at the top. I think monthly users is important too just because they still make money every time someone buys a game.

@r-gamer said:

@subspecies: I tried the PS VR for the first time two days ago and it's absolutely amazing. Only reason I didn't buy it immediately after was because I'm going to wait for the PS VR2.

You'll be waiting a while, Sony said it won't be released till a few years after the PS5 launch. PS5 will work straight away with PSVR, which is amazing from Sony. Finally can see what the headset can really do, instead of being held back by the hardware.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@r-gamer said:

It is indeed amazing. As long as you stick with the good games/experiences you can't go wrong. As for PSVR2, it will be a while, as Sony has stated that they are not launching the PS5 with the PSVR2. That being said, the PSVR is powered by the console, and the PS5 will support all versions of PSVR, so much, much more VR power is incoming, making even the gen 1 PSVR true high-end. I can't wait to see what devs will do with all that power.

@npiet1 said:
@r-gamer said:

You'll be waiting a while, Sony said it won't be released till a few years after the PS5 launch. PS5 will work straight away with PSVR, which is amazing from Sony. Finally can see what the headset can really do, instead of being held back by the hardware.

Yeah, Sony has made it clear that PSVR2 won't launch alongside the PS5. Fortunately the original PSVR, being powered by the console, will get a HUGE upgrade when the PS5 comes out. It will be up to the devs to properly utilize that power, of course. But it will happen. More and more devs are jumping onboard with VR. Next gen is going to be awesome.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@davillain- said:

Well a tablet handheld and a console with no real exclusives other than sequels of the same old same old really stood no chance against a console that has the best exclusives this generation and has a huge following.

I still can't believe that Microsoft thinks going all out on hardware will be enough to get people interested with their next console... Look at Wii sales, aside form maybe 10 million of us who care about graphics most people really don't when it comes to a console price/brand loyalty and games are all that matter and XSX looks like its missing all 3 of those.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@r-gamer said:

Don't feel bad. I too came late to the PSVR and I traded my HTC Vive for the PSVR only because my PC desktop has limited space and wasn't intended to play VR unless I move it to another corner of the house but that's a pain to do. And besides, PSVR had the games I wanted to play in the long run. PSVR is pretty darn good.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

No surprise there, the PS4 has been ultra dominant for awhile and now it's just moreso.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Nice to see console gaming going strong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@subspecies said:
@r-gamer said:

Lol, no, he hasn't. He's never played a single VR game, or used a single VR headset in any way. This dude has been coming into VR threads for years on end acting like he's an expert on everything VR--and he has absolutely zero experience with VR. He is simply obsessed with VR and VR fans. He's pretty much the laughingstock of this forum--for more reasons than one, mind you.

How many Xbox's have you owned before you made threads calling the games shit, crap etc on your reduc account???

Lots, and we know you have never owned n Xbox in your life, so sit down princess and let the grown ups talk.

As for you rgamer, no I've never tried it but you're not new here and already know this, I don't need to put shit on my face be plugged in with cords and shit to play games like this.

Loading Video...

If you want to play games like this then more power to you, but I don't and i'm here to keep it real and the PSVR is a failure, its simple & no amount of crying from cows will ever change that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@Star67 said:
@whatafailure said:
@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

Holy crap! The Ownage is real!

@i_p_daily: what you gonna do?

Ownage? dude you need to understand what the word means, but I see you're a cow so the smell of cow shit must mess the brain up a bit :(

As for failure well he's another of those VR nutjobs that can't grasp the simple fact that the PSVR's sales have declined from last sales reports and the Kinect sold more on 30 million less of a player base, that's the ownage he has brought upon himself for owning a PSVR, maybe he needs to beg his parents for his inheritance money early so he can buy another 3 or 4 to help sales LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@davillain- said:
@r-gamer said:

The answer is obviously no and he has a vendetta against VR.

Vendetta lol, no some of us like to keep shit real, and in reality PSVR is a failure, its simple, like the people who have prolonged exposure to it LOL.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 npiet1

@i_p_daily: that makes zero sense lol. It's a failure because 5 million people support it? Let's be real here it's not showing any signs of failing like the Kinect.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By R-Gamer

@i_p_daily: Never played that game so I couldn't speak on it. I played Astro bot rescue mission, GT: Sport, Beatsaber, Wipeout, Superhot and Blood and Truth. And I'm telling you it's amazing.

Look I get it I wasn't interested in it at all before I tried it. You're talking to someone who thought the Wii was a trash gimmick. But VR has so much potential and it's a blast right now. I'm not saying I want it to replace traditional gaming but it is an awesome option that I'm really excited about. Certain genres are so much better In Vr including Racing and rail shooters. I could imagine flight Sims being another. I'm telling you if you ever get a chance just try it. I thought it was going to be another dumb gimmick like motion controls or 3d gaming but it really is something special.

As far as comparing it to Kinect it's not really a fair comparison. I remember when my second 360 broke( disk tray would not open) MS refused to help me. So I went to buy another. At the time the 360 slim was available. I went to five different retailers and could not find a 360 that wasn't bundled with the Kinect. Whenever I asked about getting one without the Kinect they said they hadn't received one without the bundle in months. So I went to gamespot to buy a refurbished one.

My point is it was forced upon its userbase and had ridiculously inflated numbers hence why it crashed. And in all honesty it's the main reason the Xbox one failed to match the PS4.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

I don't think it will pass PS2 at this point. If it does, it will be due to a drastic price drop or something else in my opinion. Possibly. We'll see!

Either way, well done and well deserved, Sony. Continue doing what you're doing, and add some more PC love please.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@npiet1 said:

@i_p_daily: that makes zero sense lol. It's a failure because 5 million people support it? Let's be real here it's not showing any signs of failing like the Kinect.

No its sold 5 million in over 3yrs from a company that can't get any hotter than it is this gen. how many actually support it is unknown.

Its not showing any signs of failing you say, well most of the games are short, some would say tech demo's, average quality games at best, sales are down 400k from the last figures an that's with the sales through Christmas when prices are slashed, and 4 months longer time period. Yeah 10 months to sell 800k, decreased from 1.2 million in a period of around 6 months the period before.

Now tell me what's the next big game coming out for it, yeah I bet you don't know.

Also where is Sony's first party support for the thing? where's ND game or other big first party support? its non existent but the cows ate it up anyway.

Yeah Kinect has one thing PSVR doesn't have and that's sales even though Kinect was for the most part crap, but it does have that last part in common with the Kinect lol.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

Are you really trying to compare something that was bundled in at one point and a mandatory sale to something that is for the most part a standalone product and much more expensive?

On that note, I think VR sucks... just saying though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator

@npiet1: @i_p_daily: Failure isn't the word, just not getting enough support that VR as a whole needs is what's the problem, even Sony recognize this. PSVR selling 5 million isn't a failure, it's only a failure if it never made it pass "million" statue in the first place. VR has to start somewhere and rather it'll be the game changer is still yet to be seen. Even Nintendo Labo made it pass over 1 million sold and that's a huge accomplishment for a toy VR.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@i_p_daily: I really don't think you know what the word failure means lol, I'm honestly embarrassed for you right now.

PSVR, still selling, games are still being made for it.

Kinnect, even with being bundled with the Xone is and has been dead for a long time. No games are being made for it, it isn't being sold, it was a complete disaster and is partially to blame for how poorly MS is doing this gen.

Now tell us, which one sounds like a failure to you lol.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By npiet1

@i_p_daily said:
@npiet1 said:

No its sold 5 million in over 3yrs from a company that can't get any hotter than it is this gen. how many actually support it is unknown.

Its not showing any signs of failing you say, well most of the games are short, some would say tech demo's, average quality games at best, Yeah I'll admit most games are to short something I've mention here quite a bit. However a lot of them do have quality, especially anything exclusive. It's the $3 indies that are awful quality. sales are down 400k from the last figures an that's with the sales through Christmas when prices are slashed, and 4 months longer time period. Yeah 10 months to sell 800k, decreased from 1.2 million in a period of around 6 months the period before.

So 5 million people buying is failing?

Now tell me what's the next big game coming out for it, yeah I bet you don't know. You mean Iron Man VR the exclusive published by Sony? The one a lot of people are semi-excited for. The one that's had ads on this site. Come on man, it's no secret I love my VR.

Also where is Sony's first party support for the thing? where's ND game or other big first party support? its non existent but the cows ate it up anyway. You mean like Iron man VR the game coming out next month. Granted it's not a lot but still better kinect.

Yeah Kinect has one thing PSVR doesn't have and that's sales even though Kinect was for the most part crap, but it does have that last part in common with the Kinect lol. You mean the one everyone was forced to get at the start of the gen?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PC_Rocks

@npiet1 said:
@pc_rocks said:

? it's say's just PS4 at the top. I think monthly users is important too just because they still make money every time someone buys a game.

It doesn't because that's not how MAUs are calculated. Anyone that interacts with PS services count as a MAU. That includes Video, Vue, Music, Direct, PS+, Store, PS Now on all devices be it Vita, mobiles, TV, PC, PS3 or PS4. I can login to PS Now on PC and log out again, I'll be counted as MAU.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 npiet1

@pc_rocks said:
@npiet1 said:
@pc_rocks said:

It doesn't because that's not how MAUs are calculated. Anyone that interacts with PS services count as a MAU. That includes Video, Vue, Music, Direct, PS+, Store, PS Now on all devices be it Vita, mobiles, TV, PC, PS3 or PS4. I can login to PS Now on PC and log out again, I'll be counted as MAU.

That's silly why not break it down further?