Sony Patents NO loading technology for PS5!

• 165 results
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@sleepnsurf: lmao. You play resolutions?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Link to patent

Apparently it is different enough from existing techniques to be a patent of its own. We'll see when the games come out.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@sleepnsurf: You were better off staying quiet.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@sleepnsurf said:
@Juub1990 said:
@thatdbfan said:

Either way, I think we can both agree that next gen will be awesome for both PlayStation and Xbox gamers

Xbox gamers still have nothing.

We got 4k, you got a jet engine that looks like a stack of pancakes.

I was thinking more like a set of domino, but that's way funnier xD.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@thatdbfan said:

You eat square pancakes in Xbox-land?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@sleepnsurf said:

Framerates>Resolution. Like Fedor said, you were better off staying silent.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ThatDBFan

@Juub1990 said:
@thatdbfan said:

You eat square pancakes in Xbox-land?

Now that you mention it, it's more like waffles... But waffles are good. Doesn't help the aesthetic tho.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ThatDBFan

@davillain- said:
@sleepnsurf said:

Framerates>Resolution. Like Fedor said, you were better off staying silent.

Personally, as long as it's at a reasonable fps, I'm good. That said, I would gladly take 4k 60 fps if I can.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I'm morally opposed to patents like this. Stifles the whole industry.

This idea isn't new so the way they patented it must have some very specific literature. Hopefully this means it'll be easy to bypass with similar results and will generally be hard to enforce.

I know a project that uses a similar idea. Rather than split up an area, whole areas are loaded and when you approach an area that would trigger a load (such as a door or warp point), it will pre-load before you get to it - thus appearing as if there is no loading.

It seems Sony are trying to get every advantage they can for the upcoming console gen.....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@thatdbfan said:

Personally, as long as it's at a reasonable fps, I'm good. That said, I would gladly take 4k 60 fps if I can.

I was never the "graphic whore" type of guy, so it's the reason why I game in 1440p for better balance in terms of graphics/framerates.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

So Sony have admitted there will be loading times, because games that use fast ravel will have to load because there is no adjacent areas on fast travel.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

So Sony is the Apple of gaming?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@boxrekt said:

Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 5 will set a new bar for consoles. So far, gamers expect a solid-state drive (SSD), ray tracing support, 8K resolution graphics, and possibly even a companion wireless virtual reality headset. All of these premium hardware features will help the PS 5 compete with increasingly alluring cloud gaming services. And it looks like Sony has even more where that came from.

In fact, it looks like the PS 5 will attempt to make loading screens a thing of the past. This is according to a recent continuation patent filed by Sony and which was granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday. The latest version of the patent describes how a future gaming system could split up game environments into various segments to enable smooth loading transitions.

If it performs as described, then gamers could smoothly move to any in-game area without having the game pause to boot up another map.

A visual representation of how the patent describes splitting a game map into various segments and pre-loading all adjacent areas players move to different places on the map.

Sony’s new system achieves this by splitting games up into a kind of jigsaw puzzle. Whenever a player steps into one of the pieces, or areas, the adjacent pieces will load automatically in the background in case the player chooses to travel in that direction. Here’s a summary of the patent:

“A system and method are disclosed for dynamically loading game software for smooth game play. A load boundary associated with a game environment is identified. A position of a character in the game environment is then monitored. Instructions corresponding to a next game environment are loaded into a memory when the character crosses the load boundary, such that game play is not interrupted.”

A loading screen means one of a few different things. Sometimes, it means that the console is transferring data from the hard disk memory to the console’s random access memory (RAM), which may be what renders your graphics. It might also mean the console is freeing up used RAM to use in the next level or stage. Current consoles and games have already come a long way toward eliminating wait times, but Sony promises to optimize this loading process even further.

The feature seems pretty likely. Not only does the continuation patent suggest Sony has been developing the technology for some time, but other companies have already achieved similar feats. Rockstar’s latest title, Red Dead Redemption 2, eliminated mid-game loading screens with a variation of this technique.

Eliminating loading screens could also pay serious dividends, particularly in games like Fallout 4, which remain rife with loading screens every time gamers enter a building or city. Other under-the-hood improvements will help Sony ensure game play is entirely seamless and immersive.

The PS 5’s solid state drive and next generation random access memory tech (dubbed GDDR6 RAM) will both make reading, writing, and editing information on the console faster than ever before. GDDR6 RAM, in particular, will be relevant to the problem of background loading as well.

GDDR6 RAM will succeed the GDDR5 RAM found in current-generation consoles. The new system will almost double the data transfer speed and improve its information processing to handle bigger loads. All of that will result in gamers spending far less time staring at a still image, and far more time exploring virtual worlds.

https://www.inverse.com/article/56841-ps5-sony-patent-playstation-5-loading-screens

Sony working smarter not harder.

This isn't done on a game by game status, it's an internal system level technology.

Another benefit of having a system built specifically for gaming rather than having a bunch of individual parts thrown together.

If you thought Sony couldn't deal with the issue of loading times based on your so called PC knowledge:

Prior art PC's large scale partial resident tiled textures/Tiled Resources on SSD already delivered this. Streaming partial resident tiled textures can be bottle-necked by slow hard drives.

Loading Video...

NAVI CU has 2X texture filtering resource when compared to GCN CU.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Sony just patented it, but it “already exists”...mkay.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@ButDuuude said:

Sony just patented it, but it “already exists”...mkay.

Note why there's legal battles to nullify each other's patents during a patent legal war.

Microsoft Research is the main patent creating house for MS.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

So they patented something that pretty much all games already use specially open world games. Cool, PS5 is really made of alien tech.

Oh and all the idiots who are saying since the patent is granted it must be new. They need to research patent wars and patent trolls. A patent doesn't mean it's a new or revolutionary thing.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Gotta hand it to Sony though. They know people are dumb enough to fall for this.

Caj1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Caj1986
Member since 2015 • 399 Posts

@calvincfb: came to see console gamers think this is some major game changing technology with no pc knowledge. Was disappointed

Caj1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Caj1986
Member since 2015 • 399 Posts

@Pedro: these ppl think their ps5 will competer with a i7 or i9 and still beat it

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#71 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

I remember how "no loading" was the norm for old Sega and Nintendo games.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

@Jag85: most games were smaller than a floppy disk back then.

I remember being able to fit 2 Sega games on one floppy sometimes.

It only took around 40 seconds to read a floppy so that is the comparison.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@caj1986: oh look, a PC beggar hurting because their PCs are getting behind LMFAO

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#74 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

@calvincfb said:

@caj1986: oh look, a PC beggar hurting because their PCs are getting behind LMFAO

How is gaming on your PS5, Oooops my bad it isn't out yet.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

For the defectors and damage controllers screaming, "bu but this is old tech" and "bu but PC already do this"

............................................................................................................

Here is a clip of random responses from a thread created LAST MONTH after Mark Cerny announced no loading as an ambition for PS5.

PS5 to officially do away with loading screens

@kadin_kai said:

Haha I am certain loading screens are here to stay for the next couple of years.

@getyeryayasout said:

Sounds too good to be true, but even so, if they can cut them down significantly I'll be thrilled.

@BassMan said:

Even playing games with an NVMe SSD and a powerful CPU on PC does not get rid of load times. So, he is full of shit. Assets and data need to be loaded and processed. That shit takes time and will not be eliminated completely.

@Archangel3371 said:

Well good luck with that.

@Pedro said:

Loading screens or hard loading is and has always been dependent on the developer.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Nope, and 60fps and 4k will NOT be standard on all games.

@Alucard_Prime said:

An ambitious but difficult goal to meet. The internal SSD should be very nice but Im using an external SSD on my X and while it has significantly reduced loading times on many games, the benefit is sometimes negated by the fact that high res textures require more loading. The 4K native games that are open word really benefit from the SSD.

Definitely a good goal to have though, I hate loading screens and SSD is awesome I put all my main games on it now.

@xantufrog said:

That's not possible.

@ArchoNils2 said:

There will always be loading screens (well unless you can put the whole game into the Ram I guess?), they just might be shorter or longer depending on how well a game is coded. If the dev sucks like the Anthem team, there will loading screens

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps5-to-officially-do-away-with-loading-screens-33458714/

And there's 5 more pages after that....

Damn what happened since this thread was posted just a month ago guys? ???

According to hermits and lems, JUST LAST MONTH it was:

Suddenly, EVERY game uses this same tech and PC already has no loading times???

The difference a month makes huh? Hindsight is a bi*ch.

Now carry on the damage control PC plebs and follow the leader xbox fanboys.

TLHBO & THHBO!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Pedro

@boxrekt: Your ignorance continues. Loading is DEPENDENT on the developer. Understand how things work before you type.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Fedor

Oof the no life is strong in here.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

It's funny seeing a person hell bent on self ownage. The poor alt don't have the mental capacity to recognize that people are saying the same thing in the thread he linked as they are here. That's what happens when fanboys try to talk about things they have no idea about. Mods, please don't ever ban tgob again. SW isn't as fun without him.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Pedro

@pc_rocks: At least we can see him waste the time searching, copy and pasting and still look like a fool in the process. :)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Savage... lolol :P

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@boxrekt: Do you even understand how games work? The data is always transfered from the disc to the RAM and the CPU / GPU is accessing the data from the (v)RAM. Even if the disc and the transfer runs at lightspeeds, there is a (very tiny) moment where it loads. Unless you keep all data in the Ram and make sure it can be persisted when there is no power, it is IMPOSSIBLE to NOT have a moment to load. And since it will have an SSD, we already know they use a storage device that is not the RAM.

However, how long those loading screens are and how often they appear depend on many factors like how much data you need to load and when you load what, how long you keep it in the RAM etc. So a good dev can make sure the loading is unnoticeable and/or short while a horrible dev like the guys behind Anthem fail to do it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Pedro

@ArchoNils2: Adding to what you said, the system mentioned in the patent is not retroactive and has to be implemented in the development of the game. No system outside of the game can predict what needs to be loaded or where the player is relative to the needed data unless the game communicates that information.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#83 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@boxrekt said:

Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 5 will set a new bar for consoles. So far, gamers expect a solid-state drive (SSD), ray tracing support, 8K resolution graphics, and possibly even a companion wireless virtual reality headset. All of these premium hardware features will help the PS 5 compete with increasingly alluring cloud gaming services. And it looks like Sony has even more where that came from.

In fact, it looks like the PS 5 will attempt to make loading screens a thing of the past. This is according to a recent continuation patent filed by Sony and which was granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday. The latest version of the patent describes how a future gaming system could split up game environments into various segments to enable smooth loading transitions.

If it performs as described, then gamers could smoothly move to any in-game area without having the game pause to boot up another map.

A visual representation of how the patent describes splitting a game map into various segments and pre-loading all adjacent areas players move to different places on the map.

Sony’s new system achieves this by splitting games up into a kind of jigsaw puzzle. Whenever a player steps into one of the pieces, or areas, the adjacent pieces will load automatically in the background in case the player chooses to travel in that direction. Here’s a summary of the patent:

“A system and method are disclosed for dynamically loading game software for smooth game play. A load boundary associated with a game environment is identified. A position of a character in the game environment is then monitored. Instructions corresponding to a next game environment are loaded into a memory when the character crosses the load boundary, such that game play is not interrupted.”

A loading screen means one of a few different things. Sometimes, it means that the console is transferring data from the hard disk memory to the console’s random access memory (RAM), which may be what renders your graphics. It might also mean the console is freeing up used RAM to use in the next level or stage. Current consoles and games have already come a long way toward eliminating wait times, but Sony promises to optimize this loading process even further.

The feature seems pretty likely. Not only does the continuation patent suggest Sony has been developing the technology for some time, but other companies have already achieved similar feats. Rockstar’s latest title, Red Dead Redemption 2, eliminated mid-game loading screens with a variation of this technique.

Eliminating loading screens could also pay serious dividends, particularly in games like Fallout 4, which remain rife with loading screens every time gamers enter a building or city. Other under-the-hood improvements will help Sony ensure game play is entirely seamless and immersive.

The PS 5’s solid state drive and next generation random access memory tech (dubbed GDDR6 RAM) will both make reading, writing, and editing information on the console faster than ever before. GDDR6 RAM, in particular, will be relevant to the problem of background loading as well.

GDDR6 RAM will succeed the GDDR5 RAM found in current-generation consoles. The new system will almost double the data transfer speed and improve its information processing to handle bigger loads. All of that will result in gamers spending far less time staring at a still image, and far more time exploring virtual worlds.

https://www.inverse.com/article/56841-ps5-sony-patent-playstation-5-loading-screens

Sony working smarter not harder.

This isn't done on a game by game status, it's an internal system level technology.

Another benefit of having a system built specifically for gaming rather than having a bunch of individual parts thrown together.

If you thought Sony couldn't deal with the issue of loading times based on your so called PC knowledge:

This is how open world games have worked for quite some time. lol It loads the area you are looking at.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@boxrekt said:

For the defectors and damage controllers screaming, "bu but this is old tech" and "bu but PC already do this"

............................................................................................................

Here is a clip of random responses from a thread created LAST MONTH after Mark Cerny announced no loading as an ambition for PS5.

PS5 to officially do away with loading screens

@kadin_kai said:

Haha I am certain loading screens are here to stay for the next couple of years.

@getyeryayasout said:

Sounds too good to be true, but even so, if they can cut them down significantly I'll be thrilled.

@BassMan said:

Even playing games with an NVMe SSD and a powerful CPU on PC does not get rid of load times. So, he is full of shit. Assets and data need to be loaded and processed. That shit takes time and will not be eliminated completely.

@Archangel3371 said:

Well good luck with that.

@Pedro said:

Loading screens or hard loading is and has always been dependent on the developer.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Nope, and 60fps and 4k will NOT be standard on all games.

@Alucard_Prime said:

An ambitious but difficult goal to meet. The internal SSD should be very nice but Im using an external SSD on my X and while it has significantly reduced loading times on many games, the benefit is sometimes negated by the fact that high res textures require more loading. The 4K native games that are open word really benefit from the SSD.

Definitely a good goal to have though, I hate loading screens and SSD is awesome I put all my main games on it now.

@xantufrog said:

That's not possible.

@ArchoNils2 said:

There will always be loading screens (well unless you can put the whole game into the Ram I guess?), they just might be shorter or longer depending on how well a game is coded. If the dev sucks like the Anthem team, there will loading screens

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps5-to-officially-do-away-with-loading-screens-33458714/

And there's 5 more pages after that....

Damn what happened since this thread was posted just a month ago guys? ???

According to hermits and lems, JUST LAST MONTH it was:

Suddenly, EVERY game uses this same tech and PC already has no loading times???

The difference a month makes huh? Hindsight is a bi*ch.

Now carry on the damage control PC plebs and follow the leader xbox fanboys.

TLHBO & THHBO!

What about loading the game up? Will there be a loading screen for example like GTA loading screen?

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ThatDBFan

@davillain- said:
@thatdbfan said:

I was never the "graphic whore" type of guy, so it's the reason why I game in 1440p for better balance in terms of graphics/framerates.

Personally, most games don't click for me if they don't have good graphics. But that doesn't mean I don't like older games. I own several 6th gen games. When I play them, I just think of them as games from a different generation with a different standard than today.\

But anywhere lower than 30 fps is unplayable for me.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#86  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Sony Studios is becoming quite a force in the open world genre alongside their more linear story driven games. This makes a whole lot of sense for removing loading times but just how are they going to protect this patent. Dont quite understand digital rights, seems like all modern engine is doing this thing.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

BY the gamers, FOR the gamers

thank you Sony

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@boxrekt: I love your hysterical unhinged mass quoting of people. To my quote: go back and read the full argument I made. I virtually described what is patented here. Newsflash, this is NOT "no loading" technology. This is super secret behind-the-scenes loading technology. Which I detailed (as well as the potential limitations) in my prior discussions of the issue. Bandwidth, in particular, is the biggest concern - both on the CPU and the SSD side of things.

I also don't believe this is a universal solution like you claimed in the OP - I don't see where they assert that. I DO predict it will be game-to-game dependent on the extent it will be implemented. But I'll be pleased to be wrong on that - unlike your implication, I am NOT rooting against this. In case you somehow missed it, I am a long-time PS owner...

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Calvincfb

It's amazing how nobody is able to contradicts boxrekt and are only attacking him. LMAO, owned people are owned.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

@calvincfb said:

Came to see pc gamers and sony haters crying and damage controlling. Wasn't disappointed.

Come to see single console only losers try and use this to justify the fact they can't get access to other systems. Wasn't disappointed.

Thanks for once again confirming the PC platform bothers you.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Fedor

@calvincfb: You should actually read the thread. Why are you always foolishly trying to defend Boxxy, do you enjoy being associated with stupidity?

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Calvincfb

@fedor: because he makes you all angry and I love laughing at angry people in forums lol

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Fedor

@calvincfb: Lol he's the angriest guy on the forum.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Calvincfb

@PinchySkree: another PC beggar hurting LMFAO

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44156 Posts

@boxrekt: Wow. You sure are a sad and angry poster aren’t you.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@boxrekt: this is nothing more than a page file. So basically Sony just has this built into the ps software so devs don’t have to set it themselves like pc players do. The bad thing is it takes up hard drive space and an ssd will never be as fast as ram. I’d be more hyped if they were actually using an M.2 drive for this since they are way faster than ssd’s and use pci lanes instead of SATA. Not revolutionary tech this basically makes it easier for devs. Sony and MS really good at selling buzzwords based on old tech and people continue to eat it up.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Pedro

@fedor said:

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#98 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@boxrekt: When the PS5 launches and it takes time to load the game, a save, or load into a completely different level or part of the world... will you be reviving these threads to show how wrong you were? Probably not, as you will most likely be banned by then. At least come back as one of your alts and do us the favour.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts
@fedor said:

Looking at this thread and the responses from the posters in here, you're clearly a liar.

On top of being wrong along with others who completely flip flopped on their argument stances less than a month ago as I've prove with a single post, you and this peanut gallery of emotional posters went into a savage rage flinging angry flaming attacks because there's nothing you can to to erase history of what I showed. Tough, Deal with it.

Again THHBO!

Now continue to root for the hoard of angry personal attacks from all these posters that you gladly ignore while desperately trying to claim that I'm the one that's angry hypocrite.

@xantufrog said:

@boxrekt: I love your hysterical unhinged mass quoting of people. To my quote: go back and read the full argument I made. I virtually described what is patented here. Newsflash, this is NOT "no loading" technology. This is super secret behind-the-scenes loading technology. Which I detailed (as well as the potential limitations) in my prior discussions of the issue. Bandwidth, in particular, is the biggest concern - both on the CPU and the SSD side of things.

I also don't believe this is a universal solution like you claimed in the OP - I don't see where they assert that. I DO predict it will be game-to-game dependent on the extent it will be implemented. But I'll be pleased to be wrong on that - unlike your implication, I am NOT rooting against this. In case you somehow missed it, I am a long-time PS owner...

It doesn't really matter if you described it, the point is people were saying they didn't believe it would be possible and now it's a complete 180.

No matter how Sony accomplish the technique, if they're actually able to eliminate in game loading then it proves everyone here wrong PERIOD.

Also you're suggesting it's not universal, that's cool.

But the tech is being designed at a system level irregardless of independent software.

Is it possible that not all games benefit from this technology? Sure, but the arguments in this thread are reaching and desperate saying this is old tech and every game already uses it, let's stop that. My link proves people are flip flopping on this subject. I wasn't aiming anything at you specifically, but like many others you were skeptical, and from this post, you're still skeptical. So be it.

Point is:

This tech here from Sony is a HARDWARE system solution =/= development dependent software

So everyone saying this has already been done is WRONG!

If this tech is so old, why was everyone (my link) so skeptical of it's viability? How was Sony able to get a patent? All the responses to these valid questions are deflection, damage control and angry flaming. Great!

It doesn't really matter if someone has designed specific games to do the same thing, this is a system level application for any game. If PC, console and every videogame already had this capability....why was this so heavily disputed?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Pedro said:
@tormentos said:

BSP is not exactly what sony is doing,BSP is use in games to render polygons faster in 3D gaming but is not exactly what sony is descriving here,which is why they were granted a patent.

Where in my response was referring to BSP?

See this spining on your part show how sad your stupidy is.

You quoted someone who claim what sony is doing is BSP which exist since the 90's and you go and tell him to not tell OP,and that he thinks this is revolutionary.

In other freaking words you are agreen with the person you quoted and validating that BSP is what sony basically is doing.

@Pedro said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Even the original 90's Doom used a similar technique called BSP (Binary Space Partitioning) to limit the memory load.

Don't tell OP, he thinks its revolutionary. He probably also thinks it has never been done before on consoles.LOL

@Pedro said:
@joshrmeyer said:

@boxrekt: "What Sony is doing implies a system level application that would work on ANY game regardless of how it was programmed."

I don't think people grasp that concept. Can't wait for comparison videos next gen. PC and Xbox gonna get rekt in loading times.

The bold is a statement of ignorance, a concept you didn't grasp or got. :)

@Pedro said:
@phbz said:

So Sony is actually patenting game design?

Its pretty obvious the level of bitternes on your part and how you agree with the notion that not only this is BSP (which is not) and then you try to redicule a point make on this thread and failed misserably.

What sony is doing is not BSP work on all games,and is not PRT or tile resources either which also work in another way,your game either use PRT or not,this work on all games and is not just for TEXTURES.

And yes i KNOW you didn't bring those or talk about those,but i my self bring it because i already read a post from Rondemencia talking about PRT or Tile resources which is the same shit with different names and that only adressd TEXTURES not audio,or effects,this work on a data level which mean it works on everything from sound to textures everything.