Sony Patents NO loading technology for PS5!

• 165 results
BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 5 will set a new bar for consoles. So far, gamers expect a solid-state drive (SSD), ray tracing support, 8K resolution graphics, and possibly even a companion wireless virtual reality headset. All of these premium hardware features will help the PS 5 compete with increasingly alluring cloud gaming services. And it looks like Sony has even more where that came from.

In fact, it looks like the PS 5 will attempt to make loading screens a thing of the past. This is according to a recent continuation patent filed by Sony and which was granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday. The latest version of the patent describes how a future gaming system could split up game environments into various segments to enable smooth loading transitions.

If it performs as described, then gamers could smoothly move to any in-game area without having the game pause to boot up another map.

A visual representation of how the patent describes splitting a game map into various segments and pre-loading all adjacent areas players move to different places on the map.

Sony’s new system achieves this by splitting games up into a kind of jigsaw puzzle. Whenever a player steps into one of the pieces, or areas, the adjacent pieces will load automatically in the background in case the player chooses to travel in that direction. Here’s a summary of the patent:

“A system and method are disclosed for dynamically loading game software for smooth game play. A load boundary associated with a game environment is identified. A position of a character in the game environment is then monitored. Instructions corresponding to a next game environment are loaded into a memory when the character crosses the load boundary, such that game play is not interrupted.”

A loading screen means one of a few different things. Sometimes, it means that the console is transferring data from the hard disk memory to the console’s random access memory (RAM), which may be what renders your graphics. It might also mean the console is freeing up used RAM to use in the next level or stage. Current consoles and games have already come a long way toward eliminating wait times, but Sony promises to optimize this loading process even further.

The feature seems pretty likely. Not only does the continuation patent suggest Sony has been developing the technology for some time, but other companies have already achieved similar feats. Rockstar’s latest title, Red Dead Redemption 2, eliminated mid-game loading screens with a variation of this technique.

Eliminating loading screens could also pay serious dividends, particularly in games like Fallout 4, which remain rife with loading screens every time gamers enter a building or city. Other under-the-hood improvements will help Sony ensure game play is entirely seamless and immersive.

The PS 5’s solid state drive and next generation random access memory tech (dubbed GDDR6 RAM) will both make reading, writing, and editing information on the console faster than ever before. GDDR6 RAM, in particular, will be relevant to the problem of background loading as well.

GDDR6 RAM will succeed the GDDR5 RAM found in current-generation consoles. The new system will almost double the data transfer speed and improve its information processing to handle bigger loads. All of that will result in gamers spending far less time staring at a still image, and far more time exploring virtual worlds.

https://www.inverse.com/article/56841-ps5-sony-patent-playstation-5-loading-screens

Sony working smarter not harder.

This isn't done on a game by game status, it's an internal system level technology.

Another benefit of having a system built specifically for gaming rather than having a bunch of individual parts thrown together.

If you thought Sony couldn't deal with the issue of loading times based on your so called PC knowledge:

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

jees i wish my pc and the next xbox didn't have loads

im switching ps5 bro microsoft said they only have "fast loading"
I prefer "No loading" with sony and the ps5

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Isn't this how open world games have always worked? I guess they may not pre-load in chunks like this?

If you preload all the surrounding areas doesn't this imply that each individual area can have much less detail?

I dunno, think this is not that much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Splitting the load unto multiple areas. Very raunchy approach by Sony.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BoxRekt
@ProtossRushX said:

Damn, Sony setting a new bar for everyone else to realize where they need to improve and scramble to copy.

PC experts on this board said you couldn't get rid of loading times. ? So much for hermit knowledge.

Sony leading the charge on innovating gaming and making flat earth prophets believe the world is round.

Thank you based Sony!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69440 Posts

LOL. At OP thinking this is something new or special. Poor thing. PC gaming existence really have you sour. Must burn knowing you are going to gaming on lower powered PC hardware. :)

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

So I'm guessing this would be useful for games like God of War. Instead of running around in a circle waiting for the level to load during quick travel, Kratos would just walk through and already be there?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Isn't this how open world games have always worked? I guess they may not pre-load in chunks like this?

If you preload all the surrounding areas doesn't this imply that each individual area can have much less detail?

Even the original 90's Doom used a similar technique called BSP (Binary Space Partitioning) to limit the memory load.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BoxRekt
@Sushiglutton said:

That's a rather silly assumption.

So, loading surrounding areas imply each area can have less detail? lol WTF kind of weird speculation is that?

I'm sensing a little sodium

FYI: A developer would have to specifically program a game to work like what was described. What Sony is doing implies a system level application that would work on ANY game regardless of how it was programmed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro  Online

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Even the original 90's Doom used a similar technique called BSP (Binary Space Partitioning) to limit the memory load.

Don't tell OP, he thinks its revolutionary. He probably also thinks it has never been done before on consoles.LOL

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

talk about a marketing puppet

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BoxRekt
@Zero_epyon said:

So I'm guessing this would be useful for games like God of War. Instead of running around in a circle waiting for the level to load during quick travel, Kratos would just walk through and already be there?

Yes

And lol at PC fans damage controlling this saying "games have always done this" when they were all angrily claiming you couldn't get rid of loading times when Sony first announced that was there goal with PS5.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps5-to-officially-do-away-with-loading-screens-33458714/

LMAO, everyone was like, "I doubt it" or "it's not possible" and argued tooth and nail for 6 pages worth of denial and PC know it all rhetoric.

Now it's ? "we've always had it like that!" HAHA.

THHBO!

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@Sushiglutton said:

That's a rather silly assumption.

So, loading surrounding areas imply each area can have less detail? lol WTF kind of weird speculation is that?

I'm sensing a little sodium

FYI: A developer would have to specifically program a game to work like what was described. What Sony is doing implies a system level application that would work on ANY game regardless of how it was programmed.

As I understand it the amount of detail you can have is determined by the working memory. If you instead of just loading the area the player is in load all of the surrounding areas too it means less memory available. Seems logical to me.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

If they can pull this off, then that'll be cool. Somehow, I feel we won't be getting something like this without a trade-off. Also, it's less "no loading," and more "hidden loading," which isn't really new... They seem to be patenting a new process.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BoxRekt
@dxmcat said:

Perhaps you're illiterate and can't read or are too ignorant to realize patents filed for marketing purposes. Either way you come across as a troll.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro  Online

@lundy86_4 said:

If they can pull this off, then that'll be cool. Somehow, I feel we won't be getting something like this without a trade-off. Also, it's less "no loading," and more "hidden loading," which isn't really new... They seem to be patenting a new process.

Loading is always dependent on the developer. Most developers don't design their games with reducing or eliminating loading. So many of them memory flush and reload from scratch that its mind-boggling. What needs to be done for the removal of loading is a change in game design more than a reliance on newer technology.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

So Sony is actually patenting game design?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro  Online

@phbz said:

No! Its a hardware design according to OP. ;)

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BoxRekt
@phbz said:

No, a system specific technology within PS5.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@boxrekt said:

Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 5 will set a new bar for consoles. So far, gamers expect a solid-state drive (SSD), ray tracing support, 8K resolution graphics, and possibly even a companion wireless virtual reality headset. All of these premium hardware features will help the PS 5 compete with increasingly alluring cloud gaming services. And it looks like Sony has even more where that came from.

In fact, it looks like the PS 5 will attempt to make loading screens a thing of the past. This is according to a recent continuation patent filed by Sony and which was granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday. The latest version of the patent describes how a future gaming system could split up game environments into various segments to enable smooth loading transitions.

If it performs as described, then gamers could smoothly move to any in-game area without having the game pause to boot up another map.

A visual representation of how the patent describes splitting a game map into various segments and pre-loading all adjacent areas players move to different places on the map.

Sony’s new system achieves this by splitting games up into a kind of jigsaw puzzle. Whenever a player steps into one of the pieces, or areas, the adjacent pieces will load automatically in the background in case the player chooses to travel in that direction. Here’s a summary of the patent:

“A system and method are disclosed for dynamically loading game software for smooth game play. A load boundary associated with a game environment is identified. A position of a character in the game environment is then monitored. Instructions corresponding to a next game environment are loaded into a memory when the character crosses the load boundary, such that game play is not interrupted.”

A loading screen means one of a few different things. Sometimes, it means that the console is transferring data from the hard disk memory to the console’s random access memory (RAM), which may be what renders your graphics. It might also mean the console is freeing up used RAM to use in the next level or stage. Current consoles and games have already come a long way toward eliminating wait times, but Sony promises to optimize this loading process even further.

The feature seems pretty likely. Not only does the continuation patent suggest Sony has been developing the technology for some time, but other companies have already achieved similar feats. Rockstar’s latest title, Red Dead Redemption 2, eliminated mid-game loading screens with a variation of this technique.

Eliminating loading screens could also pay serious dividends, particularly in games like Fallout 4, which remain rife with loading screens every time gamers enter a building or city. Other under-the-hood improvements will help Sony ensure game play is entirely seamless and immersive.

The PS 5’s solid state drive and next generation random access memory tech (dubbed GDDR6 RAM) will both make reading, writing, and editing information on the console faster than ever before. GDDR6 RAM, in particular, will be relevant to the problem of background loading as well.

GDDR6 RAM will succeed the GDDR5 RAM found in current-generation consoles. The new system will almost double the data transfer speed and improve its information processing to handle bigger loads. All of that will result in gamers spending far less time staring at a still image, and far more time exploring virtual worlds.

https://www.inverse.com/article/56841-ps5-sony-patent-playstation-5-loading-screens

Sony working smarter not harder.

This isn't done on a game by game status, it's an internal system level technology.

Another benefit of having a system built specifically for gaming rather than having a bunch of individual parts thrown together.

If you thought Sony couldn't deal with the issue of loading times based on your so called PC knowledge:

Should boot up a 15 year old wow vanilla client. U can walk from one map to the other without loading !.

OMG.

This tech already exists for ages.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Oh nice, some existing tech.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@boxrekt: "What Sony is doing implies a system level application that would work on ANY game regardless of how it was programmed."

I don't think people grasp that concept. Can't wait for comparison videos next gen. PC and Xbox gonna get rekt in loading times.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@boxrekt: "What Sony is doing implies a system level application that would work on ANY game regardless of how it was programmed."

I don't think people grasp that concept. Can't wait for comparison videos next gen. PC and Xbox gonna get rekt in loading times.

Oh you sweet summer child.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@fedor: ???

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Isn’t this basically just a page file? Sony is basically just using the ssd as virtual ram, something pc has had for years. Pc has also had Ssd’s for years, consoles getting ssd while pc gamers are moving to m.2 drives. But consolites will probably say Ssd’s are better because they can be used as virtual ram lol. FYI you can do this with any hard drive it just so happens that having lots of ram is a better option since ram will always be faster than a hard drive of any type.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Came to see pc gamers and sony haters crying and damage controlling. Wasn't disappointed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

The bold is a statement of ignorance, a concept you didn't grasp or got. :)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

nice next gen leap...

loading screens...lmao

ps5 preordered*

/sarcasm

Beat128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Beat128
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts

All i seen is PS4 games load faster doesnt mean that next gen games take only 1 sec to load going wait til next E3 or there actually new games to show it

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Cool your fanboy jets, pretty sure the Scarlett is confirmed to be featuring nearly identical tech to the PS5, and is featuring SSD, and said at E3 they aim to eliminate load times.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Pedro said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Don't tell OP, he thinks its revolutionary. He probably also thinks it has never been done before on consoles.LOL

BSP is not exactly what sony is doing,BSP is use in games to render polygons faster in 3D gaming but is not exactly what sony is descriving here,which is why they were granted a patent.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ThatDBFan

Either way, I think we can both agree that next gen will be awesome for both PlayStation and Xbox gamers

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@thatdbfan said:

Either way, I think we can both agree that next gen will be awesome for both PlayStation and Xbox gamers

Xbox gamers still have nothing.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Juub1990: Lol, you keep telling yourself that... I know it makes you feel special inside.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juub1990
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@Juub1990: Lol, you keep telling yourself that... I know it makes you feel special inside.

It's true, you don't. Another Halo, another Gears. "Biggest E3 ever" proceeds to show a bunch of games nobody wants to play.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
@boxrekt said:
@dxmcat said:

Perhaps you're illiterate and can't read or are too ignorant to realize patents filed for marketing purposes. Either way you come across as a troll.

All your posts in general, thats all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro  Online
@tormentos said:

BSP is not exactly what sony is doing,BSP is use in games to render polygons faster in 3D gaming but is not exactly what sony is descriving here,which is why they were granted a patent.

Where in my response was referring to BSP?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Seems to me this would be more a conflict with developers than their console competition.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro  Online

@Juub1990 said:

It's true, you don't. Another Halo, another Gears. "Biggest E3 ever" proceeds to show a bunch of games nobody wants to play.

That is objectively false but we both know you are not being objective. :)

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThatDBFan

@Juub1990 said:
@thatdbfan said:

Saying that even after MS bought so many new studios, including highly acclaimed devs like Obsidian and InXile, and Ninja Theory confirming that they have several projects in development; Fable 4 obviously being in development by Playground Games, and Phil Spencer saying that Xbox will be able to push out more quality games next gen because of the new studios allowing them to worry less about deadlines? yeah, sounds like you're just trying to calm yourself down because Xbox might actually have a chance at beating Playstation, or at least coming close to it again this time around.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pedro  Online

@thatdbfan said:

Saying that even after MS bought so many new studios, including highly acclaimed devs like Obsidian and InXile, and Ninja Theory confirming that they have several projects in development, and Phil Spencer saying that Xbox will be about to push out more quality games next gen because of the new studios allowing them to worry less about deadlines? yeah, sounds like you're just trying to calm yourself down because Xbox might actually have a chance at beating Playstation, or coming close to it again this time around.

They have a chance of being more competitive not necessarily beating Playstation.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ThatDBFan

@Juub1990 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

SW seems to be the only place really hating on those games. All the other places I've been like YT, Twitter, and IG have been positive about those games. Doesn't surprise me, the cows on here are VERY vocal.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Juub1990
@Pedro said:

We'll see next year after another year of Xbox falling behind the competition again.

@thatdbfan said:

Saying that even after MS bought so many new studios, including highly acclaimed devs like Obsidian and InXile, and Ninja Theory confirming that they have several projects in development, and Phil Spencer saying that Xbox will be about to push out more quality games next gen because of the new studios allowing them to worry less about deadlines? yeah, sounds like you're just trying to calm yourself down because Xbox might actually have a chance at beating Playstation, or coming close to it again this time around.

Yeah a lot of words and he showed a bunch of trash. Wake me up when Xbox Games Studios actually puts out stuff that's relevant enough to get their console out of the trash heap. Xbox is a distant third for a reason.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro  Online

@Juub1990: Doesn't change the reality that your claim is objectively false.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Juub1990
@thatdbfan said:

SW seems to be the only place really hating on those games. All the other places I've been like YT, Twitter, and IG have been positive about those games. Doesn't surprise me, the cows on here are VERY vocal.

They can be. Xbox gamers have been getting played for 6 years straight and every year is supposed to be the year where Xbox finally gets compelling games that can be found nowhere else. As much as I love Forza you're gonna need more than that to attract consumers.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ThatDBFan

@Juub1990 said:
@Pedro said:

We'll see next year after another year of Xbox falling behind the competition again.

@thatdbfan said:

Yeah a lot of words and he showed a bunch of trash. Wake me up when Xbox Games Studios actually puts out stuff that's relevant enough to get their console out of the trash heap. Xbox is a distant third for a reason.

And what did I say that had anything to do with E3 or anything like that? All of those games would be stored for next year's E3. Not to mention that the games shown there actually get pretty positive reception outside of SW.

Buying a boatload of studios, many of them being critically acclaimed, and loved by fans- Promising that the new studios would lessen the strain on deadlines, allowing for more quality games, and already showing a launch title for the Scarlett before even Sony, and you still say they're gonna be trash? Yeah, like @Pedro said, you're definitely not speaking objectively here. Try to be more optimistic why don't ya?

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ThatDBFan

@Juub1990 said:
@thatdbfan said:

They can be. Xbox gamers have been getting played for 6 years straight and every year is supposed to be the year where Xbox finally gets compelling games that can be found nowhere else. As much as I love Forza you're gonna need more than that to attract consumers.

Well, at least you admit that. And I'm not gonna deny it, we did get played a lot (Ex. Scalebound), but things are looking much better for next gen.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ThatDBFan

@Pedro said:
@thatdbfan said:

They have a chance of being more competitive not necessarily beating Playstation.

And yeah, you're right, that was probably a stretch. But they could still win if they play their hand carefully, even if it is a small win.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

AFAIK, Star Citizen has implemented this kind of tech.

Honestly, this would be great. Better console hardware means better games for the PC too. Win-win.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts
@Juub1990 said:
@thatdbfan said:

We got 4k, you got a jet engine that looks like a stack of pancakes.