Sony patents ""Direct Gameplay"" new OS level feature.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 30040 Posts

The ultra fast SSD and instant loading surely will help make this a great feature. Seems like developers will be able to create custom tiles with a lot of functionality and have this be presented in the general PS5 OS. Think of a tile as an extension of the game (a mini app/widget merged into the OS) showing i.e. your latest position in an RPG with a screenshot, current gear and a button for jumping straight back into the action in a second. Or a Multiplayer FPS tile with a matchmaking button pre-set to "Team Deatchmatch" (your favorite mode), general stats etc. Potentially the tiles could also enable you to perform async game activities while in the PS5 OS (i.e. sending out delivery robots in Death Stranding). Hey, what about not presenting a main menu within a game at all...

Patent can be seen here: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20200086217.pdf

Stolen from Resetera.

Sound pretty cool.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7016 Posts

Sounds like they took MS's "live tiles" and applied it to games specifically. A bit of a gimmick, but handy.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41126 Posts

Hardly a gimmick if you ask me. I see this feature to be very handy in the upcoming years for PS5.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7346 Posts

Oh wow this actually kind of cool and I definitely sees the advantages. Hope Sony do implement this in their upcoming console.

MGSV has feature where motherbase operations runs in real time, which means resources and weapon development only be gathered or completed after a certain real time has passed. With this feature I can just check and jump in quickly to check if the stuff I am developing is completed.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Random_Matt  Online
Member since 2013 • 4770 Posts

Means little to me to be honest, I'm a single player game with every online function deactivated.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15632 Posts

Interesting. Will need to see the actual implementations but a good idea on paper.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 66 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Means little to me to be honest, I'm a single player game with every online function deactivated.

your latest position in an RPG with a screenshot, current gear and a button for jumping straight back into the action in a second. not sure if that is a single player rpg or online. im a single player person as well. this would help me remember were i was in a game i havent played in a week. even though i can just turn the game on to see lol. but this would save sometime because you just select the pic and your back in the game.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1776 Posts

So a save feature with a screen shot, big deal!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 37874 Posts

Reminds me of what is already done on the Xbox when you leave you game and it shows you what your friends are doing, even capturing screenshots of their game. Its part of Xbox presence feature.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 29794 Posts

Sounds very interesting. Sony should start showing vids and demos, or they will lose ground. Not sure what they are waiting for...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 37874 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Sounds very interesting. Sony should start showing vids and demos, or they will lose ground. Not sure what they are waiting for...

Sony is fine. They are only losing "ground" in places where it doesn't matter, forums like these. LOL

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5258 Posts

Wow what a game changer! Who needs ray-tracing?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28988 Posts

@tormentos: Windows PC's prior art

https://windroidwiz.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/trickpauseresume-any-task-in-windows/

Preview screenshot, use alt-tab.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 29794 Posts

@Pedro: Yeah... doesn't change the fact they are being unnecessarily stupid at this moment. They could, and should, take some notes from MS when it comes to marketing.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4658 Posts

Neat. Would be even better if it let's the user customize this.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Random_Matt  Online
Member since 2013 • 4770 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@Random_Matt said:

your latest position in an RPG with a screenshot, current gear and a button for jumping straight back into the action in a second. not sure if that is a single player rpg or online. im a single player person as well. this would help me remember were i was in a game i havent played in a week. even though i can just turn the game on to see lol. but this would save sometime because you just select the pic and your back in the game.

Just envisioned the crappy share functions.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 3230 Posts

Damn someone is still having sleepless nights.