Sony needs to use the NEW PSN store aesthetic as the user interface for the PS4

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5460 posts) -

Sony did a VERY good job with the recent update to the PSN store. IMO it looks even more modern than the 360's recent update, and is VERY user friendly. After Sony's actions this gen, I am surprised that Sony managed to pull off something like this so competently. It also makes the archaic XMB look even more dated than it already was. They need to get rid of that thing next gen.

IMO Sony should base the entire user interface for the Playstation 4 off of the same aesthetic as the recently updated PSN store.

Who else agrees?

#2 Posted by RR360DD (13655 posts) -
So basically, the need to make the GUI the same as the 360s :lol: Oh Sony, not an original bone in your body
#3 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (9788 posts) -
I completely agree. It's very, very aesthetically pleasing.
#4 Posted by Crossel777 (6176 posts) -

Actually I think you'll find a lot of people just hate the new PS Store due to it being a cluttered mess of massive icons and lacking in basic features.

#5 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5460 posts) -

So basically, the need to make the GUI the same as the 360s :lol: Oh Sony, not an original bone in your bodyRR360DD
Meh, as lul worthy as it is, and as funny as it is to troll Sony, "copying" isnt a problem IMO as long as its progressive and productive. Its all about implimentation. The 360's interface IS better than the PS3's XMB by far. MS copied alot of small things from the PS2 with the 360, and in the end it ended up being the industry standard. A "bad" example of copying would be PS All Stars. (and by all means "lol" at that :lol: )

#6 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

I couldn't give a sh*t how "modern" my UI looks, I just want it to be fast, simple, and easy to use. If they can come up with a good alternative to the XMB then fine, but the new store is not that UI.

#7 Posted by lundy86_4 (48571 posts) -

They simply need to do what the 360 has done. Inb4 "Sony always copies MS". At the end of the day, the 360's unified system is far better than the PS3's fragmented system. MS is a software company, and it shows.

#8 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5460 posts) -

Actually I think you'll find a lot of people just hate the new PS Store due to it being a cluttered mess of massive icons and lacking in basic features.

Crossel777

All of those problems (none of which Ive experienced) will be ironed out in time.

Most likely people just hate it because its new and they got used to the old one. The same reason people still cry about the blades on the 360. Or who cried about the NEW(est) xbox update. Or who cry about EVERY windows OS that ever comes out.

There will always be that group that hates the "new".

#9 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -
I agree with the gist of what you are saying, but there are multiple problems with your proposition: a) From what I understand, the new PSN Store interface is aesthetically very pleasing, but it achieves this at the cost of functionality. Some features are unintuitively hidden under menus, or, in the case of alphabetical search/sorting, removed altogether. They would have to work on it more if they were to make the next OS have this same visual skin b) A console's GUI becomes a part of its identity. The XMB were a part of PSP's and PS3's identity; the grid interface is unmistakably Apple. The Blades interface, and the NXE Dashboard is recognizably Xbox. The channels menu used on the Wii, Wii U, DSi, and 3DS are all absolutely Nintendo. The Bubbles interface is PS Vita. It becomes a crucial part of system recognition, but copying essentially the current Xbox interface would mean PS4 has no real distinct identity of its own. Know what I mean? Anyway, just my two cents.
#10 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
If they make it faster ok. I still prefer the old one because it was faster. And it really wasn't complicated.
#11 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Not a chance.

#12 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

They simply need to do what the 360 has done. Inb4 "Sony always copies MS". At the end of the day, the 360's unified system is far better than the PS3's fragmented system. MS is a software company, and it shows.

lundy86_4

Man, there's just so much wrong in your post.

#13 Posted by lundy86_4 (48571 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

GamerwillzPS

Instead of saying that, break down what's wrong.

#14 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

No. The PS3 main interface is far better than the 360's. I can actually SEE my background, no stupid boxes with stupid ads for dorietos or jersey shore garbage.

The store it's self is disappointing, I like the layout but not the way it works. I also can't recommend things to friends anymore, it's a pain in the ass. Thanks for screwing up again Sony.

#15 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

Xbox-dashboard-2011.jpg

'Nuff said.

If you think it's better than PS3's XMB, you're officially an Xbox fanboy.

#16 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

No. The PS3 main interface is far better than the 360's. I can actually SEE my background, no stupid boxes with stupid ads for dorietos or jersey shore garbage.

The store it's self is disappointing, I like the layout but not the way it works. I also can't recommend things to friends anymore, it's a pain in the ass. Thanks for screwing up again Sony.

ShadowMoses900

I approve this. Agreed with every single word.

#17 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

Xbox-dashboard-2011.jpg

'Nuff said.

Setting yourself up for a new ownage, huh? ;)

One not enough for the night?

#18 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5460 posts) -

If they make it faster ok. I still prefer the old one because it was faster. And it really wasn't complicated.kuraimen
Remember though, the new PSN store is an"application" (a 24mb application). This means that this 24mb software application has to be "launched" into memory in the same way you "launch" a game, rather than it being the OS itself.

It will be integrated into the OS and the PS4 will be designed with it in mind.

#19 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

GamerwillzPS

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what lundy said. The Xbox is a more integrated system with a faster, smoother, slicker OS, and it shows. Updates take minutes as opposed to hours on the PS3, there are no System Restores like PS3 has to do, and everything is integrated at the OS level and just works. If you actually disagree with this, then you are a PS3 fanboy and there is nothing I can say to you.
#20 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Rocker6

Xbox-dashboard-2011.jpg

'Nuff said.

Hey there again, hermit wannabe.

You're getting in my nerves now.

#21 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Xbox-dashboard-2011.jpg

'Nuff said.

GamerwillzPS

*on

#22 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

RulerofGondor

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what lundy said. The Xbox is a more integrated system with a faster, smoother, slicker OS, and it shows. Updates take minutes as opposed to hours on the PS3, there are no System Restores like PS3 has to do, and everything is integrated at the OS level and just works. If you actually disagree with this, then you are a PS3 fanboy and there is nothing I can say to you.

Xbox fanboy confirmed. Now move along.

#23 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Xbox-dashboard-2011.jpg

'Nuff said.

GamerwillzPS

Two PC fanboys slapping each other? Wow what a day!

Though I wouldn't call Rocker a wannabe, he is hermit through and through unforutantely :P

#24 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -

[QUOTE="RulerofGondor"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

Xbox fanboy confirmed. Now move along.

Hahahahahaha. I don't even own an Xbox anymore, and think it is worthless when it comes to exclusives beyond just Halo. I just have an open and rational mind, and some actual objectivity, unlike you.
#25 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Though I wouldn't call Rocker a wannabe, he is hermit through and through unforutantely :P

ShadowMoses900

Well, at least I'm being judged fairly by someone! :P

Though you should try to calm your cow friend here a little... :D

#26 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Rocker6

*looks at my PC games, my specs and the number of hours I spent playing on my PC*

lol

Fakeboy confirmed. Not a hermit.

#27 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

GamerwillzPS

*looks at my PC games, my specs and the number of hours I spent playing on my PC*

lol

A cow may change its spots, but not its nature! ;)

#28 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

lol

:lol:

You're the worst kind of hermit. Give me your badge, stealth consolite. Out of the camp, now.

#29 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -
I really don't like the new PSN store. For one, it's pretty slow and clunky which I believe they will iron out in good time but the big issue I have is how it feels disconnected from the XMB. Transitioning from the XMB to the new store feels slow due to this disconnection whereas with the old store you could transition fluidly between both the store and XMB.
#30 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

lol

GamerwillzPS

You're the worst kind of hermit. Give me your badge, stealth consolite. Out of the camp, now.

Oh crap, my true nature has been discovered! :cry:

DUN DUN DUN!

What do I do now?

#31 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

DUN DUN DUN!

What do I do now?

For starters, fix that image :P
#32 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

RulerofGondor

DUN DUN DUN!

What do I do now?

Hm, works fine on my side...

#33 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -

[QUOTE="RulerofGondor"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

DUN DUN DUN!

What do I do now?

Rocker6

I can't see it :(
#34 Posted by TrapJak (2933 posts) -

The new store is slow and functional, compared to the previous's fast but glitchy features.

I wish Sony gave us an option on which one to use, but w/e.

#35 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I can't see it :(RulerofGondor

[spoiler] 5144-1271439018.jpg [/spoiler]

It better work now, too much effort went into the making of this post already! :P

#36 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="RulerofGondor"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

DUN DUN DUN!

What do I do now?

Rocker6

A fake hermit doesn't know how to deal with images! :lol:

#37 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

old store was sooo much better. It just needed to be organized better.

#38 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="RulerofGondor"] For starters, fix that image :PGamerwillzPS

A fake hermit doesn't know how to deal with images! :lol:

Yeah, how sad. Think I'll go cry myself to sleep now, bye... :(

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#39 Posted by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

Don't even know why Sony has a marketing setup when they've got this guy to spread the gospel.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#40 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9845 posts) -
Thats probably what they are aiming for. Why the **** would they redesign the store now, only for the PS3 ? I wouldn't doubt the general aesthetic being what the PS4's OS is going to look like.
#41 Posted by TilxWLOC (1164 posts) -

I had to look it up as I don't have a PS3, and someone posted the 360's store, and I have to say, as ugly as the 360 one is, at least it isn't cluttered.

#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (48571 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

Xbox-dashboard-2011.jpg

'Nuff said.

Actually, I do prefer it. I think it's far more aesthetically pleasing than the XMB. However, that wasn't the point. I was specifically talking about the unified integration, i.e. how everything is integrated into one another. On the XMB, I have to sign into the PSN store seperately, whilst that is unnecessary on the 360 so long as I am logged into my account. Furthermore, the addition of pins is incredibly helpful, and allows me to "remember" where something was if I want to go back.

Seriously, if you're not gonna read a post properly, don't comment.

#43 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

Xbox-dashboard-2011.jpg

'Nuff said.

Actually, I do prefer it. I think it's far more aesthetically pleasing than the XMB. However, that wasn't the point. I was specifically talking about the unified integration, i.e. how everything is integrated into one another. On the XMB, I have to sign into the PSN store seperately, whilst that is unnecessary on the 360 so long as I am logged into my account. Furthermore, the addition of pins is incredibly helpful, and allows me to "remember" where something was if I want to go back.

Seriously, if you're not gonna read a post properly, don't comment.

Lol... Okay, that's your opinion but it's seriously flawed in my book.

Xbox dashboard is a clusterf*ck. I find it very difficult to find what I want, they're just all over the place, even with adverts showing up even for Gold members! It's just beyond terrible.

XMB is just beautiful, simple and clean, also easy to use. The only issue with PS Store at the moment is slow boot-up compared with the previous Store. I'd like the old one back.

#44 Posted by lundy86_4 (48571 posts) -

Xbox dashboard is a clusterf*ck. I find it very difficult to find what I want, they're just all over the place, even with adverts showing up even for Gold members! It's just beyond terrible.

GamerwillzPS

It's categorized very easily. Even the BING search tool is actually really accurate.

XMB is just beautiful, simple and clean, also easy to use. The only issue with PS Store at the moment is slow boot-up compared with the previous Store. I'd like the old one back.

GamerwillzPS

"beautiful" isn't a word i'd use to describe it. I took graphic design for 10 years, and whilst a simplistic nature has an appeal, in terms of viability for a game system firmware/OS, it's ultimately flawed. You need quick and easy access to what you are looking for, and like I said, the XMB and PSN is far more fragmented than the 360 dashboard.

----

Objectively speaking, the 360 dashboard is more integrated with the features and the store than the XMB is.

Subjectively speaking, the look of the dashboard is up to the individual.

----

Now, stop building a straw-man, as the look of the OS isn't what I was addressing (as i've said twice). It's the integration.

#45 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

I don't like the psn store update. I did not like the orignal PSN store, but at least it was smooth and didn't take about a minute to boot up.

#46 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

lundy86_4

It's categorized very easily. Even the BING search tool is actually really accurate.

GamerwillzPS

"beautiful" isn't a word i'd use to describe it. I took graphic design for 10 years, and whilst a simplistic nature has an appeal, in terms of viability for a game system firmware/OS, it's ultimately flawed. You need quick and easy access to what you are looking for, and like I said, the XMB and PSN is far more fragmented than the 360 dashboard.

----

Objectively speaking, the 360 dashboard is more integrated with the features and the store than the XMB is.

Subjectively speaking, the look of the dashboard is up to the individual.

----

Now, stop building a straw-man, as the look of the OS isn't what I was addressing (as i've said twice). It's the integration.

Yes, I agree that integration is better on the Xbox. But not the UI design.

#47 Posted by lundy86_4 (48571 posts) -

Yes, I agree that integration is better on the Xbox. But not the UI design.

GamerwillzPS

I'm torn. I do like the simplicity of the XMB, but find the sheer usefulness of the dashboard more appealing. Plus, I really do like the tile look - though the adverts can go suck a d*ck.

#48 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -

I preferred the simple layout the store had before to be honest...

#49 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

I had to look it up as I don't have a PS3, and someone posted the 360's store, and I have to say, as ugly as the 360 one is, at least it isn't cluttered.

TilxWLOC

I kinda agree with you but people were actually asking for something like that. In fact, the new PS store is based on many UIs that were made by fans. But at the end of the day I like neither of them and I really hate the Metro UI on Windows 8 too. All of them are ugly as f***. =/

#50 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6833 posts) -

NO. I love the xmb. IDK why people hate on it. I hope they keep it for PS4 and 5 and 6 and well forever