commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I know many of you are thinking of vr that is shit, niche, and that it won't have an impact but hear me out.

If you compare the sales of all standalone vr headsets (obviously not phone adaptions included like samsungs gear vr and google cardboard) then there are about 10 million headsets sold, sony psvr owns half of those sales. that is as much as all pcvr headsets combined.

Yet sony's headset is the worst by far, it's not even close. The motion controller and headset tracking technology is still from the ps3 era with the psmove. The ps4, even the ps4 pro is lackluster in driving a technology that is so power demanding.

There are also not that many games, and facebook has invested greatly in the market for a good reason. If you look at what the oculus quest 2 offers and what it costs, then you can see the writing in the wall, vr is important for the future.

But the pc is the pc, and facebook is facebook , not everyone is so eager to join one or the other, pc gaming hardware is expensive and facebook is not popular with everyone.

For a console platform like the playstation that is a whole different matter, even better yet the headsets now available on the pc aren't even that interesting, they are very expensive or you need to submit to facebooks platform.

When you look at the future psvr2 controllers, it looks like sony is going in the right direction, if they can make a lightweight ergonomic headset, that is easy to use with their platform, it can elevate the company to a whole other level.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

According to an update by SuperData earlier today, Oculus Quest 2 sold more than 1 million units in the fourth quarter of 2020. The virtual reality device was launched in October 2020, making that sales figure cover only two months.

The milestone becomes even more impressive when comparing sales to other virtual reality competitors in the market. PlayStation VR sold more than 125,000 units in the same period. Valve Index and the older Oculus Rift sold around 60,000 and 55,000 units respectively between September and December 2020.

If this is anything to go by then I would have to say no. VR future is in devices like the Quest.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Sorry but when you exclude certain VR headsets to suit your argument, i don't want to hear you out.

VR is niche 💩

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By commander

@Pedro said:

According to an update by SuperData earlier today, Oculus Quest 2 sold more than 1 million units in the fourth quarter of 2020. The virtual reality device was launched in October 2020, making that sales figure cover only two months.

The milestone becomes even more impressive when comparing sales to other virtual reality competitors in the market. PlayStation VR sold more than 125,000 units in the same period. Valve Index and the older Oculus Rift sold around 60,000 and 55,000 units respectively between September and December 2020.

If this is anything to go by then I would have to say no. VR future is in devices like the Quest.

the quest only sold that much because there aren't any other options in that price range, and it sold for 300$. It can be used standalone as well.

That is extremely agressive sales tactic from facebook to get more people on their platform, you need a facebook account to use it.

besides, the oculus quest 2 is part of those sales figures. It is considered a pcvr headset

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commander

@i_p_daily said:

Sorry but when you exclude certain VR headsets to suit your argument, i don't want to hear you out.

VR is niche 💩

which ones did I exclude

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Hope Alyx gets to at least the PS5. More people needs to play it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@commander said:

the quest only sold that much because there aren't any other options in that price range, and it sold for 300$. It can be used standalone as well.

That is extremely agressive sales tactic from facebook to get more people on their platform, you need a facebook account to use it.

besides, the oculus quest 2 is part of those sales figures. It is considered a pcvr headset

The Quest 2 sold 1 tenth the amount of PSVR in quarter versus 4 years the PSVR has been out. Cost matters. Aggressive pricing or not, the Quest 2 is a more viable system than the PSVR. The PSVR locks you to PlayStation hardware and requires additional PlayStation hardware. Meanwhile the Quest 2 is standalone and can be connected to your PC. These differences between the two matters and is why the Sony will not be a major player in the space with their current strategy.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

Lems just gonna lem. VR is the future but because it's associated with Sony they all scream failure. Like their failure of a console XSex.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By commander

@Pedro said:
@commander said:

The Quest 2 sold 1 tenth the amount of PSVR in quarter versus 4 years the PSVR has been out. Cost matters. Aggressive pricing or not, the Quest 2 is a more viable system than the PSVR. The PSVR locks you to PlayStation hardware and requires additional PlayStation hardware. Meanwhile the Quest 2 is standalone and can be connected to your PC. These differences between the two matters and is why the Sony will not be a major player in the space with their current strategy.

that's because the quest 2 doesn't have any competition, psvr is the competition, yet it hasn't been released yet.

That's like comparing ps4 sales to xbox 360 sales

That fact that it can be used as a standalone platform doesn't matter that much, the reason it sells so well, is because it's the only viable pc headset at the moment that doesn't break the bank

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@commander said:

that's because the quest 2 doesn't have any competition, psvr is the competition, yet it hasn't been released yet.

The Quest 2 has competition. It competes with every other VR hardware and platform on the market. Unless you have data that the PSVR2 is going to be standalone, equal in pricing to the Quest 2 and compatible with PC, then the dynamics will remain the same.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By commander

@Pedro said:
@commander said:

The Quest 2 has competition. It competes with every other VR hardware and platform on the market. Unless you have data that the PSVR2 is going to be standalone, equal in pricing to the Quest 2 and compatible with PC, then the dynamics will remain the same.

The reason it sold so well is because it's a dirt cheap pc vr headset, I bought my cv1 back in 2017 for 50 percent more in price.

This has way higher resolution, it does even wireless streaming, and yes it does have some standalone capabilities (the gpu is about the same power as the xboxone (not the cpu)) which could make it an entry buy, to use a pc later. and it has no competition in that price range, the next headset is 700$ , the reverb g2

There is surely a market for standalone users as well, but if you look at sales of previous standalones like the oculus go, this is unlikely the case.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@Pedro said:
@commander said:

The OG quest can be attached to your PC as well (I used to own one). If I were to get another headset it would be the Quest as I would like to play without wires attached to me.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

Pedro is right on this one commander. As it stands right now the Quest 2 is where it is at for a mainstream VR experience. It offers a great stand alone option (no console/no PC) for the casual and not so causal gamer plus a full PC VR tethered experience. Tethered it rivals the G2 a half the cost (The Reverb's screen is to die for....watch some of Tyriel Wood's in headset comparisons) . The 1st party games are great and it's library keeps growing. Let's not forget Steam VR as well. Side note...just grabbed Half Life Alyx for $35 for it's anniversary. Got to play for the first time tonight...DOPE!!!!!

I am excited to see what the PSVR 2 is, it's specs and what it can do but it does have a heavy hitter to contend with....and right now thats the Quest.

You really need to let that CV1 go. It was great for it's time but man....I could never go back to it's screen and rez as the platform matured. Like the PSVR, the CV1 is so dated.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mobius_basic
@commander said:

This has way higher resolution, it does even wireless streaming, and yes it does have some standalone capabilities (the gpu is about the same power as the xboxone (not the cpu)) which could make it an entry buy, to use a pc later. and it has no competition in that price range, the next headset is 700$ , the reverb g2

What? The PSVR 2 is touting it's own GPU that is as powerful as the one in the Xbox One?? Hmmm....that seems very far fetched. Would be bad ass if true tho.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 commander

@mobius_basic said:
@commander said:

What? The PSVR 2 is touting it's own GPU that is as powerful as the one in the Xbox One?? Hmmm....that seems very far fetched.

I was talking about the quest 2

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#16 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Oh wow, Oculus Quest sold more than xbox.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mobius_basic

@commander: Thats not at all true then....it's a qualcomm chip. Not even close.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 commander

@mobius_basic said:

It has 1.37 tflops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@commander said:
@i_p_daily said:

VR is niche 💩

which ones did I exclude

"obviously not phone adaptions included like samsungs gear vr and google"

Still shitty VR devices.

PS...All VR devices are adaptions as they need another device to work.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@i_p_daily said:

Still shitty VR devices.

That is incorrect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Pedro said:
@i_p_daily said:

Still shitty VR devices.

That is incorrect.

Do tell.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

LOL no.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mobius_basic

@commander said:
@mobius_basic said:

It has 1.37 tflops

The XR2 chip is impressive. I 100% wont deny that but the XR2 is not performing at the same level. Essentially what you are saying is that the Quest 2's APU is better and outperforms the One/PS4 base consoles in rendering performance???? Come on man.

PS...@commander...it's nice having a debate, disagreeing without demeaning comments etc. Been thru a couple of these discussions with you. Breath of fresh air.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pedro

@i_p_daily said:

Do tell.

The Quest is a standalone devices.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Pedro said:
@i_p_daily said:

Do tell.

The Quest is a standalone devices.

Ok, now i've learnt too much about VR, all good i will forget what i've learnt about it by tomorrow 🤣🤣🤣

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By commander

@mobius_basic said:
@commander said:
@mobius_basic said:

It has 1.37 tflops

The XR2 chip is impressive. I 100% wont deny that but the XR2 is not performing at the same level. Essentially what you are saying is that the Quest 2's APU is better and outperforms the One/PS4 base consoles in rendering performance???? Come on man.

PS...@commander...it's nice having a debate, disagreeing without demeaning comments etc. Been thru a couple of these discussions with you. Breath of fresh air.

lol yeah I love debates as well, I don't even mind the namecalling that much as long as the arguments make sense

either way, it will not outperform the rendering performance of the ps4 but it will be close to the xboxone, the x1 doesn't even have 1.37 tflops, but also has a gpu and esram, and more ram in general.

The ps4 is a lot stronger than the xboxone. The only thing the x1 has to counter that is a slightly higher clocked cpu, and esram, which is not much.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

VR is amazing! The only reason i don't use the PSVR more often is because of the screen resolution and the ridiculous amount of cables it requires.

PSVR2 seems to solve these problems, so i'll support it for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@PAL360 said:

VR is amazing! The only reason i don't use the PSVR more often is because of the screen resolution and the ridiculous amount of cables it requires.

Same reason I barely use the Oculus Rift anymore setting it up is a pain in the ass and the screendoor effect hasn't aged well neither but yeah VR is amazing not just for games but other apps too. Like watching a movie in a virtual theater or exploring Google earth VR there's so many possibilities that's why the future of VR for me is more exciting then just normal gaming.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

VR on console, like everything else, will never be as good as it is on PC, and at present it's not that great on PC.

One problem with PSVR right now is it only has a 100 degree field of view. That means only a slight increase past a right angle is what you'll be able to see. This would have a similar effect as making circles with your thumb and fingers and placing them over your eyes like pretend binoculars where your palms will block out almost all peripheral vision. FOV needs to improve.

Another issue is resolution. To low of resolution and you'll get a lot of disorienting effects such as screen door and motion related issues. Resolution needs to be boosted, however, in order to do that and still maintain a reasonable frame rate you're going to need some hella powerful hardware of which the Playstation isn't, and even then you'll need a reduction in visuals to maintain a healthy, non-nauseating frame rate.

VR will get there. But the PSVR ain't it, and when it happens, expect it to happen on PC first, especially with new headsets coming out in the near future that solve many of the issues current headsets have.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

@commander said:
@Pedro said:
@commander said:

That fact that it can be used as a standalone platform doesn't matter that much, the reason it sells so well, is because it's the only viable pc headset at the moment that doesn't break the bank

And when the PSVR2 is released, it will be competiting with the Quest 3.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

Sorry, but this is the last generation of VR...

...where it's niche. Sorry haters! VR will be a major part of gaming in the next generation.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

Hope Alyx gets to at least the PS5. More people needs to play it.

It could get me to buy a PSVR2 headset.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

sony VR 2.0 will sell 2million or 5 million. same or worse than PSVR 1.0

it will get a few games trying to make it relevant. it will be talked about that year or 2. then forgotten just like PSVR1.0 is.

it will be sony's last attempt at VR.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

it will get a few games trying to make it relevant. it will be talked about that year or 2. then forgotten just like PSVR1.0 is.

Lol, I can totally see this happening.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Priorities. Fix your BC first Sony.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#37 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@commander said:

I know many of you are thinking of vr that is shit, niche, and that it won't have an impact but hear me out.

If you compare the sales of all standalone vr headsets (obviously not phone adaptions included like samsungs gear vr and google cardboard) then there are about 10 million headsets sold, sony psvr owns half of those sales. that is as much as all pcvr headsets combined.

Yet sony's headset is the worst by far, it's not even close. The motion controller and headset tracking technology is still from the ps3 era with the psmove. The ps4, even the ps4 pro is lackluster in driving a technology that is so power demanding.

There are also not that many games, and facebook has invested greatly in the market for a good reason. If you look at what the oculus quest 2 offers and what it costs, then you can see the writing in the wall, vr is important for the future.

But the pc is the pc, and facebook is facebook , not everyone is so eager to join one or the other, pc gaming hardware is expensive and facebook is not popular with everyone.

For a console platform like the playstation that is a whole different matter, even better yet the headsets now available on the pc aren't even that interesting, they are very expensive or you need to submit to facebooks platform.

When you look at the future psvr2 controllers, it looks like sony is going in the right direction, if they can make a lightweight ergonomic headset, that is easy to use with their platform, it can elevate the company to a whole other level.

You listed some of the problems with the tech. The problem is options and support. If you can only use VR with interactive games, its not going to sell well. Coolyfett would love to see the tech take off as Coolyfett is interested in the tech, but the price is too high for entry. Here are the things VR needs to do well:

1. lower price point

2. More things to do with it. (live concerts, live sporting events, movies & music videos where you are IN the medium, virtual trips to exotic locations) A VR headset needs to do more than games and simulation.

3. Xbox needs to come on board, Nintendo is more invested in theme parks going forward and anything Nintendo produces in the field will be a toy or something marketed to children. If Xbox can join in, developers would have more hardware options to develop for. PlayStation was the leader in VR sales and didn't sell much. Wonder why the PC headsets didnt sell as well as PSVR? Most likely due to price.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Phony's, PSVR is a bigger failure than Kinect.... Nuff said. lol :P

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts
@PAL360 said:

Prior to Covid and 2020, Coolyfett experienced the HTC Vive at a gaming bar. Its was really cool & very good experience! Nothing like Coolyfett expected. Its one of those things you have to try before you can really speak on it. After playing games on the HTC Vive it gave the feeling of leaving an old arcade\Chuck E Cheese type of feeling. It wasnt impossible to own an arcade machine back in the 80s 90s, but owning one is a bit of an inconvenience. VR is the same thing.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

Posts that will age badly, take one.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commander

@Coolyfett said:
@commander said:

You listed some of the problems with the tech. The problem is options and support. If you can only use VR with interactive games, its not going to sell well. Coolyfett would love to see the tech take off as Coolyfett is interested in the tech, but the price is too high for entry. Here are the things VR needs to do well:

1. lower price point

2. More things to do with it. (live concerts, live sporting events, movies & music videos where you are IN the medium, virtual trips to exotic locations) A VR headset needs to do more than games and simulation.

3. Xbox needs to come on board, Nintendo is more invested in theme parks going forward and anything Nintendo produces in the field will be a toy or something marketed to children. If Xbox can join in, developers would have more hardware options to develop for. PlayStation was the leader in VR sales and didn't sell much. Wonder why the PC headsets didnt sell as well as PSVR? Most likely due to price.

you're talking about yourself in third person?

1. will not happen now, but can later

2. that are all things that are possible, not necessarily live but defenitely vr content in this regard. The more adaption the better and sony does have an advantage here since it has a single platform, the pc platform is divided.

3. Xbox doesn't have to come in board , nor nintendo but it will be good for the competition, since all you have know is facebook(oculus) and sony, all the other headsets are way more expensive.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@darthbuzzard: Lol, all KBs post age badly. That's why he post something and runs and hides for months before appearing again.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@commander: Didn't MS just score a $2 billion contract with the government over their VR?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@dabear: Hololens?...I don't think it's VR but I could be wrong.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@vfighter said:

@dabear: Hololens?...I don't think it's VR but I could be wrong.

Yes, I guess it's technically "augmented reality" instead of true "virtual reality"

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

NOPE.

Xbox getting actual VR support through proper VR headsets from major vendors will nullify their advantage. I sure hope so.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@rzxv04 said:

NOPE.

Xbox getting actual VR support through proper VR headsets from major vendors will nullify their advantage. I sure hope so.

Says who?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

It would be nice if Sony managed to fix whatever issues keep the PS5 from enhancing PS4 games so new VR tech can improve upon the 8th gen VR offerings from PS4. Given there was a considerable amount of content there, which will likely remain accessible all the same, but can substantially be improved upon.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Another fad like 3d and for sony to once again dump their previous vr is not on. Bad enough they refuse to do backwards compatibility but now expect people to buy anew vr set as well. Get stuffed