Sony may buy new studios to get ready for PS5 - "content more important than ever"

• 107 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (24260 posts) -

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/07/01/sony-is-considering-studio-acquisitions-ahead-of-ps5

Damn, looks like this is the beginning of content wars. Exclusives looking to be the big selling point of next gen. Do you agree, SW? I always thought exclusives were more important than hardware as long as the hardware is good enough.

#2 Posted by Xabiss (2686 posts) -

Good games that are exclusive are important. Nintendo and Sony have proven that all generation long.

#3 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2182 posts) -

Yea great... now maybe expand beyond 3rd person movie games.

#4 Posted by ProtossRushX (5424 posts) -

YEAAH CONTENT holy crap now is the time to strike sony

maybe some JRPG's or something new?

#5 Edited by ellos (2036 posts) -

I have wondered when are they going to come to this realization. There huge 3rd party share this gen is not sustainable. More places for folks to play games, cross play and xbox is not going to be as bad as it was this gen. They need more games then just the usual cinematic narrative games. They need some mp games to support psn. That is where they are going to feel the drop.

#6 Edited by ThatDBFan (350 posts) -

This makes me happy as a gamer. Both Sony and MS going on buying sprees and acquiring critically acclaimed studios means we will have much more content for next gen.

#7 Posted by Raining51 (1124 posts) -

Well hopefully this works out well.

#8 Posted by Telekill (8484 posts) -

Exclusives were the big selling point since the 16bit days as Nintendo killed competition with NES. It's not changing now.

When given the choice on Sega or Nintendo as a kid, I went with Sega because of Sonic and loved every minute.

#9 Posted by watercrack445 (1651 posts) -

I think they should buy Bioware.

#10 Posted by 2Chalupas (7083 posts) -

@thatdbfan said:

This makes me happy as a gamer. Both Sony and MS going on buying sprees and acquiring critically acclaimed studios means we will have much more content for next gen.

Not really, it actually means less content on a particular platform as some of these games are going to be exclusive to one platform or the other - although my understanding is some of the newly aquired MS games are still going to be multi-plat? Even if that's true, it probaby wont last. The point of the MS acquisitions was clearly to get back on a competitive field with Sony. I'm actually surprised even those games are being allowed on PS4, but i guess they figure the development costs were already sunk into them.

That being said, MS needed to do something after this past gen and their epic failures in working with 3rd parties and in their own internal studios, now the ball is in Sony's court. Not sure they need to go on a "buying spree" like MS, but they need to at least go after some low hanging fruit, acquiring Japanese studios and IP would be most obvious.

#11 Posted by npiet1 (2310 posts) -

Sony has had some great games this gen. I hope so. Would love to see what else Sony could do.

#12 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1601 posts) -

Meh. They'll turn more good devs into movie studios. I think PS4 will be my last PlayStation.

@Telekill said:

Exclusives were the big selling point since the 16bit days as Nintendo killed competition with NES. It's not changing now.

When given the choice on Sega or Nintendo as a kid, I went with Sega because of Sonic and loved every minute.

NES was 8 bit. SNES was 16.

#13 Edited by Telekill (8484 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Correct. Regardless of competition to the NES such as Master System, it essentially had no real competition. Thus the 8 bit generation wasn't about exclusives.

SNES vs Genesis was a far closer competition and that's when exclusives started to matter.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#14 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4740 posts) -
@watercrack445 said:

I think they should buy Bioware.

#15 Edited by Ant_17 (12535 posts) -

Hope this doesn't back fire on them.

#16 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18974 posts) -

Insomniac would be a good get for Sony.

#17 Edited by sakaiXx (5662 posts) -

If they can tie down Kojima, the world's finest can be theirs as well.

I personally would like them acquiring From Soft. I mean, Bloodborne 2 when?

#18 Posted by Kadin_Kai (500 posts) -

This isn’t good news at all. There will be less multi-platform games, so if you only have one system there will be fewer games for you.

Games will likely become more expensive as the developer will sell less.

#19 Posted by getyeryayasout (12342 posts) -

I'm surprised that they haven't snagged Housemarque, but they have stated that they're pushing AAA's over indies going forward.

#20 Posted by Pedro (34907 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

I'm surprised that they haven't snagged Housemarque, but they have stated that they're pushing AAA's over indies going forward.

That studio focus too much on gameplay. ;P

#21 Posted by SaltSlasher (1141 posts) -

I don't know, Sony will do what all their fanboys say, but then they'll just move the goal posts and Sony won't know what to do.

#22 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25366 posts) -

If true, then that would make the PS5 a bit more attractive. Although, the number of exclusives seems to be coming down with every gen, so we'll see.

#23 Posted by Calvincfb (1590 posts) -

Poor MS... It's going to get harder for them.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#24 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -

According to the PC master complainers, exclusive content of any kind if anti-consumer...LMFAO.

#25 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

They're buying up every studio in town. Sony's going to get put on the defensive if they can't keep up with Microsoft's inevitable barrage of exclusive output.

#26 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -

@Telekill said:

I was lucky, never had to choose, parents got me both although I primarily used my Sega for sonic games and MK with blood.

#27 Posted by jcrame10 (5103 posts) -

@kali-b1rd: @kali-b1rd: third person games are the most varied in genre and gameplay. What else would you prefer they do? More FPS games like Killzone and Resistance, more platformers like Littlebigplanet and Tearaway?

#28 Posted by ThatDBFan (350 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:
@thatdbfan said:

Not really, it actually means less content on a particular platform as some of these games are going to be exclusive to one platform or the other - although my understanding is some of the newly aquired MS games are still going to be multi-plat? Even if that's true, it probaby wont last. The point of the MS acquisitions was clearly to get back on a competitive field with Sony. I'm actually surprised even those games are being allowed on PS4, but i guess they figure the development costs were already sunk into them.

That being said, MS needed to do something after this past gen and their epic failures in working with 3rd parties and in their own internal studios, now the ball is in Sony's court. Not sure they need to go on a "buying spree" like MS, but they need to at least go after some low hanging fruit, acquiring Japanese studios and IP would be most obvious.

What i really meant was, as a gamer, I'm probably gonna own both systems, so it's win win for me. Plus, that means more competition, which means both companies will be putting in more effort, which means both PS and Xbox gamers win.

Also, I think you're referring to games like The Outer Worlds by Obsidian. Those games were in development before MS bought them, and they already had publishing deals before the MS aquisition. But I'm sure their next games will be Xbox console exclusives.

#29 Edited by Calvincfb (1590 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:

They're buying up every studio in town. Sony's going to get put on the defensive if they can't keep up with Microsoft's inevitable barrage of exclusive output.

Do you really think MS will be able to counter Sony's excellent 10+ years record of exclusives? They won't. What Sony did with the PS3 and PS4 regarding exclusives put them on the top, PS brand has power and it was completely cemented this gen.

Meanwhile, MS's exclusive output was poor, people don't trust MS anymore and it's not a relevant brand outside of the US.

#30 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -

@calvincfb said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:

Do you really think MS will be able to counter Sony's excellent 10+ years record of exclusives? They won't. What Sony did with the PS3 and PS4 regarding exclusives put them on the top, PS brand has power and it was completely cemented this gen.

Meanwhile, MS's exclusive output was poor, people don't trust MS anymore and it's not a relevant brand outside of the US.

Did you live thru the 360 era? Brand loyalty changes on DIME and it doesn't take much. 360 wiped the floor with PS3 for many years before Sony got their act together. MS is showing they learned a powerful lesson and if you haven't noticed they aren't going into next gen unprepared. Nothing inspires a company more than failure. Wii U led to Switch. Gamecube led to Wii. XBOX led to the 360.

It's pretty much the quiet before the storm at this point. Sleeping on microsoft is what hurt PS3 at launch and for 3-4 years after before things turned around.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#31 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3241 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Did you live thru the 360 era? Brand loyalty changes on DIME and it doesn't take much. 360 wiped the floor with PS3 for many years before Sony got their act together. MS is showing they learned a powerful lesson and if you haven't noticed they aren't going into next gen unprepared.

It's pretty much the quiet before the storm at this point. Sleeping on microsoft is what hurt PS3 at launch and for 3-4 years after before things turned around.

People seem to have really forgotten how bad the PS3 launch was. That console was pure garbage for a few years that gen, but cleaned up nicely near the end. How people hold such fond memories of the PS3s life cycle is some pure Twilight Zone shit...

#32 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Did you live thru the 360 era? Brand loyalty changes on DIME and it doesn't take much. 360 wiped the floor with PS3 for many years before Sony got their act together. MS is showing they learned a powerful lesson and if you haven't noticed they aren't going into next gen unprepared.

People seem to have really forgotten how bad the PS3 launch was. That console was pure garbage for a few years that gen, but cleaned up nicely near the end. How people hold such fond memories of the PS3s life cycle is some pure Twilight Zone shit...

It's so weird to see people re-write history that I lived through. XBOX had a lot of fans and lost those when the ps4 launched $100 cheaper. Gamers are more fickle than online fanboys wish to admit. Wii U bombed, Switch is a hit. There's not enough brand loyalty to help out a failing platform.

It doesn't take much, wrong price, wrong time, and someone else takes the lead for the whole generation. It's this kind of ego that leads to the downfall. Just ask PS3 after PS2 and the $600 launch price. Takes some serious balls to think anyone would pay that much.

And I did. My fat PS3 was a thing of beauty before it died on me...

#33 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2182 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@kali-b1rd: @kali-b1rd: third person games are the most varied in genre and gameplay. What else would you prefer they do? More FPS games like Killzone and Resistance, more platformers like Littlebigplanet and Tearaway?

As apposed to Third Person Shooter-Climb-Adventure simulators? absolutely.

laughable to say "they are the most varied genre" absolutely laughable. Especially laughable when 90% of your games are them, and not the many other perspectives and game types, and a healthy mix of SP, MP or LAN.

Stop making excuses. Sony failed at every other venture this gen, and many of its more varied franchises have nearly died. Can't even save Gran Turismo from themselves.

#34 Edited by Calvincfb (1590 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:

Did you live thru the 360 era? Brand loyalty changes on DIME and it doesn't take much. 360 wiped the floor with PS3 for many years before Sony got their act together. MS is showing they learned a powerful lesson and if you haven't noticed they aren't going into next gen unprepared. Nothing inspires a company more than failure. Wii U led to Switch. Gamecube led to Wii. XBOX led to the 360.

Except Sony still have excellent exclusives coming while MS has nothing. Sorry, history and track record aren't favoring you.

#35 Posted by lamprey263 (36140 posts) -

Looks like next gen is shaping up into an arms race, exciting.

#36 Posted by Fedor (5142 posts) -

@calvincfb: You have no clue what MS is bringing next gen. If you think the talent MS has been aquiring won't be bringing quality games... Rude awakening incoming.

#37 Edited by Calvincfb (1590 posts) -

@fedor said:

@calvincfb: You have no clue what MS is bringing next gen. If you think the talent MS has been aquiring won't be bringing quality games... Rude awakening incoming.

That's the problem. MS as of now has nothing. Sony has an excellent track record and are bringing the best games of the generation now that gen is nearing its end, preparing the terrain for next gen, while making agreements with big publishers for the PS5. Sony KNOWS exclusives and quality content matter, they've known this since the psx days and the ps3 era cemented it.

We already know HZD2 and Spider-Man 2 are happening.

What do we know about MS? Absolutely nothing and their history with bought studios isn't good.

For now, all we can expect is nothing, like they showed since the end of the X360.

#38 Posted by Pedro (34907 posts) -

@calvincfb: So you are saying MS will be releasing no games in the future. Gotcha.

#39 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -

@calvincfb said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Except Sony still have excellent exclusives coming while MS has nothing. Sorry, history and track record aren't favoring you.

MS is clearly focused on the next thing. The same way Nintendo went all quiet before the Switch.

And MS has made known they bought up a ton of second party studios for future exclusives.

They pretty much let us know they won't be caught again with their exclusive pants down. Sony exclusives, I mean geez, nobody cared about resistance when it launched on ps3 and the first drake was just looked at as being a gears clones. Don't get all on your high horse about sony exclusives buddy boy. Since they don't rely on tried and true franchises like they used too, new IP are a bigger risk and worse yet, even their new IP all look and play the same, aka days gone. I remember trying to tell the world how amazing WARHAWK was and nobody cared because MP games on PS3 were considered a joke back then.

Again, revisionist history at its worst.

#40 Edited by BassMan (10366 posts) -

I don't like the idea of exclusives as games should be made available to as many people as possible. At least MS releases their games on PC. So, I don't mind MS buying studios as much. Sony buying up studios is bad because it means I have to play the games on a shit console.

#41 Posted by Pedro (34907 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

...the first drake was just looked at as being a gears clones.

This could not be further from the truth.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#42 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4740 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:

Oh NO! What's Sony gonna do without Wasteland 3?!?!

#43 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2432 posts) -

This is exciting. It kind of sucks that games are taking so long to be developed these days, though. It could be nearly a decade before any new IP's from any acquisitions actually come to fruition smh

#44 Posted by R-Gamer (211 posts) -

I saw this coming. If streaming does ever take over( I don't think it will anytime soon). Then content will be all that separates the platforms.

#45 Posted by Calvincfb (1590 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: you lost the discussion when you said uncharted was a gears clone. There's nothing more to be said.

#46 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -
@calvincfb said:

@Bread_or_Decide: you lost the discussion when you said uncharted was a gears clone. There's nothing more to be said.

You are either delusional about the PS3 era or you were born during the PS4 era.

#47 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

Sweet.

#48 Posted by Pedro (34907 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:

You are either delusional about the PS3 era or you were born during the PS4 era.

Come on. Uncharted was not a Gears clone. Have you played either games?

#49 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (29110 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

...the first drake was just looked at as being a gears clones.

This could not be further from the truth.

Lets closely examine what I said.

I said that drake was looked at as being a gears clone.

So the PS3 was a widely hated machine, with an ugly design, a price no one liked, and thus every first party exclusive was shat upon endlessly. I know because I tried to defend the damn thing but the 360 fans had the sales and the numbers and took over the internet at the time. I bought a $600 PS3 at launch with resistance, so I'm not some hater. I loved that stupid expensive thing. Warhawk is a gem that deserved so much better than what it got.

Drake had come out after gears had already popularized cover shooters. Drakes cover shooting mechanics, thusly, was seen as being a direct copy of the already trendy cover shooter element now found in every third person shooter released after gears.

The first drake was liked, not loved. I remember thinking well of it. But it wasn't seen as some godly game, it was seen as a wannabe gears for the NOT XBOX system. It wasn't until Uncharted 2 that the series found its stride and stepped out from the shadows of "basic third person shooter with gears like cover mechanic."

Now, don't tell me that's not true I lived it and I lived through it. This really does feel like the twilight zone at times. Does nobody have an honest memory of the 360 era?

#50 Posted by Pedro (34907 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Lets closely examine what I said.

I said that drake was looked at as being a gears clone.

So the PS3 was a widely hated machine, with an ugly design, a price no one liked, and thus every first party exclusive was shat upon endlessly. I know because I tried to defend the damn thing but the 360 fans had the sales and the numbers and took over the internet at the time. I bought a $600 PS3 at launch with resistance, so I'm not some hater. I loved that stupid expensive thing. Warhawk is a gem that deserved so much better than what it got.

Drake had come out after gears had already popularized cover shooters. Drakes cover shooting mechanics, thusly, was seen as being a direct copy of the already trendy cover shooter element now found in every third person shooter released after gears.

The first drake was liked, not loved. I remember thinking well of it. But it wasn't seen as some godly game, it was seen as a wannabe gears for the NOT XBOX system. It wasn't until Uncharted 2 that the series found its stride and stepped out from the shadows of "basic third person shooter with gears like cover mechanic."

Now, don't tell me that's not true I lived it and I lived through it. This really does feel like the twilight zone at times. Does nobody have an honest memory of the 360 era?

You are grossly over simplifying the game as a wannabe Gears. The game was closer in gameplay to Tomb Raider game than any Gears game that has ever been made. It was compared more an Indiana Jones game and I have never heard anyone during that time and anyone who has played it compared it to the Gears. I have played both games and to say that one is clone of the other is so ludicrous. Note, I am not talking about the value or either game just the gameplay mechanics of each. No-one would have think or accepted Uncharted as a substitute to Gears and no one would have think or accepted Gears being a substitute for Uncharted. They are that far apart.