Sony is using its own fans to sell the Vita for them. Lawl.

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/sell-the-playstation-vita-yourself-sony

As ifPlayStation Vitasales figures weren't bleak enough, even Sony is beginning to show signs of distress. In a new promotion, Sony is offering a $20 PSN card and "tons of Sony Rewards points" to PSN users who canconvince their friends to purchase a PlayStation Vita. Except, this doesn't come off the way Sony intendedit comes off as desperate.

Whatever Sony's intention with this promotion, it feels more like they're begging users to sell the PlayStation Vita for them, since Sony can't sell it effectively themselves. Granted, word of mouth is the best sales strategy a company can hope for, but Sony is putting these words into the mouths of their users. For shame.

[This promotion also implies that people weren't already telling their friends to purchase the Vita. What does that say about the product? ~Ed. Nick]

I, for one, absolutely love the PlayStation Vita hardware. I've been singing its praises from day one. You can evenread my original review of the hardware from launch. But that was then, and this is now. Back then, there was a lot of promise. There was a clear pipeline of interesting software ready to release for the system. There was the promise of remote play, which still works just as poorly as it did on the PSP. There was even the promise of aCall of Dutygamea sure system-seller, right?That didn't turn out so well.

Now, I can count the number of upcoming titles on one hand. Maybe two. Software has dried up, and the heavy hitters that were supposed to move units turned out to be duds. Meanwhile,the 3DS has gained some serious steam, and the freight train known asApple shows no signs of slowing anytime soon, constantly eating away at the handheld market share.

Come Februrary 22nd, the PlayStation Vita will have been on the market for an entire year. It still lacks that must -have game that sells the system. So instead, Sony is relying on people who can see the quality of the hardware to convince their friends to buy one.

As much as I love the PlayStation Vita, I couldn't in good faith tell my friends it's this must-buy system due to the current software outlook. I say "current," because I'm sure more softwarebettersoftware, evenis on the way. It's just not here now. (On that note,I'll be going hands-on with new Vita games next week at a special event.)

What might work? A price drop. Take that $20 you're using to entice people to convince their friends to buy a Vita, and take it off the top of each Vita sold. The Vita's a great system even at $250. Getting that price down will only increase the perceived value of the hardware. Continue to offer an even greater value through PlayStation Plus. Which brings me to the next point: Cut the price of the memory already, Sony!

Currently, it's $100 for a 32GB memory card. $60 for a 16GB card. That's outrageous and insulting, considering the cost of comparable memory cards that aren't Sony's proprietary cards. Anything less than 16GB is going to get filled up with one fell swoop of PS Plus Instant Game Collection. It's not worth buying, unless you want to slap down money for another card in the following week.

So, Sonyrather than asking your users to become snake oil salesmen, pitching a product that's currently a hard sell, do something to make it an easy sell. Drop the price. Make memory less expensive. And really get out there to garner developer support to keep the software flowing. It's a great system, and we all know it, but only Sony is to blame for the current sales situation. Asking people to sell it for you is embarrassing, and it's not going to work until you make peoplewant to buy it. You're asking users to do your job. Now get to it and sell the PlayStation Vita yourselves.

Oh, and BTWwill you please buy a PlayStation Vita? I could use the PSN credit.

Well, considering that the only people who own one at this point are likely Sony's fanboys, and given the overtime they put into the "system wars" internet community, this might be crazy enough to work.

We all know Cows are used to doing Sony's job for them and not getting paid for itanyways :D

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

We all know Cows are used to doing Sony's job for them and not getting paid for it

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28973454/what-music-to-use-for-ps3-exclusive-montage?page=0

StrongDeadlift

this made me lol.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

that's not unheard of. lots of companies offer rewards for recommending their goods/services to people. look at directv for example.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
"One of us! One of us!"
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Very cool idea, i will ineed keep it in mind

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Sounds stupid. I would have a hard time convincing anyone at the moment to buy the Vita, it has a really bleak outlook considering how Sony is continuing to manage it.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Lots of companies use rewards programs like this. Go back into your box.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Well, that sounds like a loyalty program, but the context of it admittedly made me chuckle a little. These kinds of promotions aren't out of the ordinary though.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
umm. what doesn't not have a refer a friend program?
sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

That's a way of saying that Sony is going under foreclosure.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
I'll make sure to laugh at anyone that tries to get me to purchase one.
sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

I'll make sure to laugh at anyone that tries to get me to purchase one.Pittfan666

Buy a Vita now

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Everyone buy a Vita so I can get $100 for PSN.

Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
Refer-a-friend is one of the oldest tricks in the book. WoW has used it forever and it's hardly struggling to get subscriptions.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
Refer-a-friend is one of the oldest tricks in the book. WoW has used it forever and it's hardly struggling to get subscriptions.Fossil-
But Vita IS struggling to get buyers, which is what makes it funny :D
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Vita is just a disaster

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
So? Nintendo did the exact same thing with the Wii - get a friend to set theirs up and you get points. It's a bog-standard referral program, not an indication of "desperation."
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#18 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Someone buy a Vita now and refer me.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts
hell, they should just sell it like an MLM, any friend you convince to get a Vita and any friends they convince gets you bonus credit anyhow, if you want a Vita I say wait until March, Sony is going to eventually do something desperate to boost Vita numbers before the end of the fiscal year, because at this rate it might not hit half its target goal of 10 million units sold by end of the fiscal year, so to soften the blow at the end of the year they might do something to get those sales up, maybe with a temporary or permanent price cut, and throw in a handful of games with it
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Ok i really cant find anything on Sony's official website or Sonys official playsttaion websites about this referal thing which is making me think the site is fake.. the site dosent look all that trustwothy tbh so not going to use my info on it unless sony themselvs comes out and say this is a new contest because i cant find anything about this new contest anywhere.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
It can only turn out well for others. Not sure what's sad about that fact.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]So? Nintendo did the exact same thing with the Wii - get a friend to set theirs up and you get points. It's a bog-standard referral program, not an indication of "desperation."Desmonic
Anything Sony does is an indication of "desperation" to TC :lol:

Basically, become nothing but a pathetic Sony basher.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/sell-the-playstation-vita-yourself-sony

[quote=""]

As ifPlayStation Vitasales figures weren't bleak enough, even Sony is beginning to show signs of distress. In a new promotion, Sony is offering a $20 PSN card and "tons of Sony Rewards points" to PSN users who canconvince their friends to purchase a PlayStation Vita. Except, this doesn't come off the way Sony intendedit comes off as desperate.

Whatever Sony's intention with this promotion, it feels more like they're begging users to sell the PlayStation Vita for them, since Sony can't sell it effectively themselves. Granted, word of mouth is the best sales strategy a company can hope for, but Sony is putting these words into the mouths of their users. For shame.

[This promotion also implies that people weren't already telling their friends to purchase the Vita. What does that say about the product? ~Ed. Nick]

I, for one, absolutely love the PlayStation Vita hardware. I've been singing its praises from day one. You can evenread my original review of the hardware from launch. But that was then, and this is now. Back then, there was a lot of promise. There was a clear pipeline of interesting software ready to release for the system. There was the promise of remote play, which still works just as poorly as it did on the PSP. There was even the promise of aCall of Dutygamea sure system-seller, right?That didn't turn out so well.

Now, I can count the number of upcoming titles on one hand. Maybe two. Software has dried up, and the heavy hitters that were supposed to move units turned out to be duds. Meanwhile,the 3DS has gained some serious steam, and the freight train known asApple shows no signs of slowing anytime soon, constantly eating away at the handheld market share.

Come Februrary 22nd, the PlayStation Vita will have been on the market for an entire year. It still lacks that must -have game that sells the system. So instead, Sony is relying on people who can see the quality of the hardware to convince their friends to buy one.

As much as I love the PlayStation Vita, I couldn't in good faith tell my friends it's this must-buy system due to the current software outlook. I say "current," because I'm sure more softwarebettersoftware, evenis on the way. It's just not here now. (On that note,I'll be going hands-on with new Vita games next week at a special event.)

What might work? A price drop. Take that $20 you're using to entice people to convince their friends to buy a Vita, and take it off the top of each Vita sold. The Vita's a great system even at $250. Getting that price down will only increase the perceived value of the hardware. Continue to offer an even greater value through PlayStation Plus. Which brings me to the next point: Cut the price of the memory already, Sony!

Currently, it's $100 for a 32GB memory card. $60 for a 16GB card. That's outrageous and insulting, considering the cost of comparable memory cards that aren't Sony's proprietary cards. Anything less than 16GB is going to get filled up with one fell swoop of PS Plus Instant Game Collection. It's not worth buying, unless you want to slap down money for another card in the following week.

So, Sonyrather than asking your users to become snake oil salesmen, pitching a product that's currently a hard sell, do something to make it an easy sell. Drop the price. Make memory less expensive. And really get out there to garner developer support to keep the software flowing. It's a great system, and we all know it, but only Sony is to blame for the current sales situation. Asking people to sell it for you is embarrassing, and it's not going to work until you make peoplewant to buy it. You're asking users to do your job. Now get to it and sell the PlayStation Vita yourselves.

Oh, and BTWwill you please buy a PlayStation Vita? I could use the PSN credit.StrongDeadlift

Well, considering that the only people who own one at this point are likely Sony's fanboys, and given the overtime they put into the "system wars" internet community, this might be crazy enough to work.

We all know Cows are used to doing Sony's job for them and not getting paid for itanyways :D

WTF dude, Cable companys do offers like this all the time, seems like a good business move to me, Better than sitting there doing nothing about it, at least they are supporting the vita,lol
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#25 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

that's not unheard of. lots of companies offer rewards for recommending their goods/services to people. look at directv for example.

CaseyWegner
Agree with casey on this.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Needs sales would make sense. However a price drop would be a better solution. All factions spend a lot of time in systems wars. Cows spending time defending the vita is no worse than your obsession with bashing it.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Yeah, not really seeing how this is a big deal. This isn't anything new in business.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

We all know Cows are used to doing Sony's job for them and not getting paid for it

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28973454/what-music-to-use-for-ps3-exclusive-montage?page=0

KarateeeChop

this made me lol.

lol poor basement dwellers :cool:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

It's pretty bad when you're getting rewarded to push the company's product.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Sounds stupid. I would have a hard time convincing anyone at the moment to buy the Vita, it has a really bleak outlook considering how Sony is continuing to manage it.

TwistedShade
Agreed. The quality of the system is good, but the price of the hardware and accessories and lack of quality games is keep me away from it. I'll be looking at new 3DS games instead. This promotion is pathetic though. Begging current PSVita users to try and convince their friends to buy the hardware. Give me a break. Sony is definitely getting desperate. They're selling their buildings, released the poor made PS3 Super Slim that no one wants and now this. What's next?
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
Seriously? There are sh*t tons of websites and games that offer rewards for getting people to sign up or purchase products. You don't seem worried about them looking desperate though.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
Why can't Sony just drop the freaking price? MAKE THE VITA $199, SONY.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50494 Posts

If MS did this, "OMG THEY R BRILLNT!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Chutebox
Lol not really... Everyone on here hates Microsoft.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

CaseyWegner
Yep.
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

So? Nintendo did the exact same thing with the Wii - get a friend to set theirs up and you get points. It's a bog-standard referral program, not an indication of "desperation."PannicAtack

It only looks desperate because Vita is tanking hard.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50494 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Samus3D

Was referring to the 5-6 hardcore lemmings on here. And like someone else pointed out, nothing wrong with this strategy. DirectTV loves doing this.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="Samus3D"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Chutebox

Was referring to the 5-6 hardcore lemmings on here. And like someone else pointed out, nothing wrong with this strategy. DirectTV loves doing this.

it's good business snese, payment by results advertisong, it costs them very little (WIN) word of mouth is oe of the most effective ways to advertise(WIN) and they only have to pay out if somebody actually buys a Vita(WIN) People moaned that SONY didn't advertise enough, they up there advertising games and everyone still moans, to say i am slightly bemused about this would be an understatement.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Maybe around about October I could possibly have some substance to start telling my friends to get a Vita but as of now, no I won't do it if I got a Vita to every friend I convinced. When more or should I say better games with a more unique and purpose built design which also make use of the device come out then sure I guess I can mention that its a good system with decent games and can alleviate an hour or two of a slow day at work or a train ride home. I won't be mentioning it until I can honestly say its a darn good system without tryin to sound like I'm selling it to them.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

KarateeeChop

this made me lol.

Classic thread. :cool:

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

KarateeeChop

this made me lol.

that thread is amazing. Im never changing my avatar :lol:
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Seriously? There are sh*t tons of websites and games that offer rewards for getting people to sign up or purchase products. You don't seem worried about them looking desperate though._Cadbury_
Actually coming to think of it my own place of work actually do this, if I had a mate looking for work I can recommend them to my boss along with a copy of their CV and if they get a job then me and my mate who gets the job get gift vouchers and some cash. Stupid article making it sound desperate when in fact it's just normal perfectly good behaviour or any company who wishes to use a small incentive with large results which also can't be taxed because they're gifts. It's a win win win, I get money, mate gets a job, company gets cheap hiring method.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

One of your family members is currently missing, buy a VIta of else..

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Wow no wonder Sony's marketing is so bad. They rely on Cows to do the marketing for them and nobody takes Cows seriously.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Wow no wonder Sony's marketing is so bad. They rely on Cows to do the marketing for them and nobody takes Cows seriously.BPoole96

None of my friends even know what the Vita is, but if someone actually tried persuading me to buy one, I'd feel insulted! :P

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Still more ethical than using Red Rings of Death to pad console sales.

(Read like, still better love story than Twilight meme).

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Still more ethical than using Red Rings of Death to pad console sales.

(Read like, still better love story than Twilight meme).

Shewgenja
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

This is nice if a friend who is interested in buying a VITA can sign some dumb litle form to get another friend free PSN credit.

Seems like a win-win scenario for everyone involved. (Also, this has to be the most pissed off I have seen people in sometime over SCEA. Quite wrongly, IMHO.)

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts
Yes! Overtime pay! Finally!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

I'm going to have to pay my friends to get a Vita. So really I'm not getting rewarded.