Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 939 Posts

@davillain said:

Destiny as it is the discount Halo

You do realize Destiny right now is more popular and successful than Halo, right?

I played MCC and Destiny is the better game imo, both in lore and gameplay. The only problem is the unbalanced PvP

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

imagine:

1. being Microsoft
  2. buying a nearly bankrupt RTS developer for $30 million
  3. nurture them into an industry juggernaught
  4. Turn their third person tech demo into a $16 billion IP that revolutionized the gaming industry, and produced one of the highest rated, highest selling, and most revered trilogy of videogames in gaming history. An IP that you own.
  5. Allow them to buy back their independence, but keep all those IPs you helped build, and also keep a 10% minority stake in Bungie (That Sony had to buyout from MS, lol)
  6. Be Sony now
  7. Spend $3.6 Billion, 120 times what Microsoft spent on Bungie, including buying out Microsoft's 10%
  8. Don't own any of their IPs, not even Destiny
  9. Dont get their best work, and Most of the creative leadership attached to Halo is no longer there
  10. all current and future games remain multiplatform.

This is quite possibly the most expensive case of sloppy seconds in history. This is tier 3 twitch sub, OnlyFans pay-pig levels of sloppy seconds.

Dang you salty. You literally get to play whatever content they choose to bring to Xbox. And if Sony owns Bungie, Sony owns Destiny.

https://trademarks.justia.com/777/84/destiny-77784606.html

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By VatususReturns
@TheEroica said:

The cows must be livid at this news.... The consolidation of the industry has bothered them for days now... Nearly a month!

Sony took away a multiplat developer from gamers across the globe. It's time we burn the ship down. Gaming is dead.... At least we know all the Sony die hards will speak up and let their voices be heard at this agregious move.

Bungie will continue multiplat buddy, contrary to the publishers MS is buying after the deals they had with sony expire. One is being more of a d*ck than the other

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#154  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

@vatususreturns said:
@TheEroica said:

The cows must be livid at this news.... The consolidation of the industry has bothered them for days now... Nearly a month!

Sony took away a multiplat developer from gamers across the globe. It's time we burn the ship down. Gaming is dead.... At least we know all the Sony die hards will speak up and let their voices be heard at this agregious move.

Bungie will continue multiplat buddy, contrary to the publishers MS is buying after the deals they had with sony expire. One is being more of a d*ck than the other

You all apologist are funny to read.😂

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8012 Posts

@x_hedon said:
@Antwan3K said:

that's a nice grab by Sony, Destiny is a hugely popular IP..

Much like Microsoft, I don't see Sony pulling the game off other storefronts.. so as long as Destiny 2 continues to be an ongoing platform, like CoD Warzone, it'll remain everywhere..

but a Destiny 3 could very well be exclusive if it is ever released much like a Warzone 2 could be exclusive.. that's when things will get really interesting..

All future Bungie games are confirmed multiplatform and include Xbox according to Bungie. This is announced on their site. They were also interviewed and they were asked.

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives? No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive unified Bungie community.

oh cool, thanks for the clarification..

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 VatususReturns

@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:
@TheEroica said:

You all apologist are funny to read.😂

I'm still right

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Pedro
@vatususreturns said:

I'm still right

You are not. You are shilling for your preferred platform and finding reasons to justify the behavior.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#158 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

From my understanding, Destiny is done. There is no 3rd Destiny coming and no new content other than what’s already been announced coming to Destiny 2. Anyone aware of any other games Bungie is currently making? Or maybe…mother of God…maybe…they’ll task Bungie to make a new Socom, or remake some old ones…one can hope. A lot of people on Twitter saying this was a missed opportunity to buy a better studio.

Personally I would love to see them make a new SOCOM game. SONY has already announced they are announcing more acquisitions soon, so I wouldn't worry about them making a better purchase.

With their new service coming soon and the fact that backwards compatibility is coming soon it would be great if they announced SOCOM 5 was being developed and in the meantime we can play PS2/PS3 SOCOM titles online through their new service... one can dream I suppose. Either way I think things are starting to heat up once again. I honestly wasn't expecting Bungie...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 WitIsWisdom
@getyeryayasout said:

Sony's going to need to create their shooters once COD is no longer available on PlayStation.

I'm all for more SOCOM, MAG, Warhawk/Starhawk. Also we already know they are doing combined efforts with devs they don't own (yet?) with two large multiplayer online games that both have a long history of shooter game experience at their disposal/aid.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#160 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to buy Sega. Then this will really get out of control.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By WitIsWisdom

Now they need to announce Bungie is making SOCOM 5 with a campaign and full fledged multiplayer with gameplay from it's roots with modern touches (like encumbrance from Confrontation and things like that) and a battle pass/cash shop for cosmetics.

On top of that they can release a SOCOM ftp battle royale to compete with Warzone.

The only reason I kind of like seeing the consolidation of the industry is because I feel like it forces the other side to respond. At the same time I hate it though... so I don't know...

Only time will tell, but I hope this leads to another wave of great games. AA games are already becoming more prevalent again, which is awesome, and the NCAA licenses are back in the swing soon. The next few years should be pretty exciting. The only problem is that like always it always feels like it's hurry up and wait with the gaming industry.

Recent rumors have linked Bungie's next game "Matter" (working title?) as an Overwatch, Valorant, Paladins type of game.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By VatususReturns
@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:

I'm still right

You are not. You are shilling for your preferred platform and finding reasons to justify the behavior.

?

What behavior is there to defend, exactly?

Bungie is autonomous and multiplat and will continue being autonomous and multiplat. What is there to defend?

Do you think people would be mad if the publishers MS bought would continue multiplat? They wouldnt care

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Pedro

@vatususreturns said:
@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:

I'm still right

?

Bungie is autonomous and multiplat and will continue being autonomous and multiplat. What is there to defend?

Do you think people would be mad if the publishers MS bought would continue multiplat? They wouldnt care

You are defending acquisitions. It is not that hard to understand.

All Microsoft games and acquired studios games are multiplatform. That is a fact. Give me one game that MS has made exclusive to one platform. I will wait.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

This is one step in the right direction. Now go buy EA and Square-Enix. That will agitate Microsoft

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Bungie still being an independent studio under Sony's leadership where all games will continue to be multiplatform gives Sony a successful live service franchise that will constantly pump in revenue so Sony can continue to finance their future game service while also financing their single player studios adequately.

In short, this gives them the money to stay in the gaming business and compete with the big boys without having to take a risk with developing their own live service title in which would likely fail.

Single player games make money. But only for a little while. Sony needs a constant stream of revenue, and Bungie's highly successful Destiny series will give them just that.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#166 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 498 Posts

Times are really changing. Soon we won't have any multiplat games. Not really a fan of Destiny at all but Sony were right not to sit idle and let MS buy all these studios.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#168 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@theam0g said:

Bungie still being an independent studio under Sony's leadership where all games will continue to be multiplatform gives Sony a successful live service franchise that will constantly pump in revenue so Sony can continue to finance their future game service while also financing their single player studios adequately.

basically this. So long as they remain multiplatform then it doesn't matter who owns them. At least now they'll have the financial security to build whatever they want.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 VatususReturns

@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:
@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:

I'm still right

?

You are defending acquisitions. It is not that hard to understand.

All Microsoft games and acquired studios games are multiplatform. That is a fact. Give me one game that MS has made exclusive to one platform. I will wait.

Context of said aquisitions is rather important though. Its not balck and white

MS multiplats are only muliplat because 1. they had already contractual obligations towards Sony (Deathlop) or 2. their respective PS version was already deep in develpment at the time of the aquisition making no sense to cut it when money had already been invested in it (case in point, Psychonauts 2). They cut starfield and TES VI out of PS platforms because its development hasnt probably been started

So, no, MS has clearly stated their franchises will become PC/Xbox exclusives going forward once their deals with Sony expire. The next 3 Cods will still come to PS but I doubt the others after that will

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 WitIsWisdom

@mane_basic said:

this is a great deal for bungie. if i read this right. they get cash from sony to dev while being indy and publishing their own games. Meaning Sony can't make them work on nothing and they still get to put their games wherever they wish.

I only care about if this affects it on gamepass i really like not paying for dlc in destiny. Getting them all in Gamepass has been great but honestly Sony needed a live service game.

Lets see ms currently have 6 and will have 9 once the AB deal goes thru. this with be sony's first and more likely Bungie will teach sony's other studio how to make and run a live service game..

Honestly I think the part in bold is a much larger deal than a lot of people are giving credit. SONY desperately needs help in that field and no better way to do that than lean on a proven dev team that has had a lot of success in that field.

I feel that whether people like it or not that games as a service is pretty much the future of gaming and both MS and SONY know that.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#171 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 498 Posts
@x_hedon said:

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives? ​No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. ​

This doesn't make any sense. Why on earth would Sony spend nearly 4 billion on a dev and still have them make games on the competition's platform?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Pedro

@worlds_apart said:

This doesn't make any sense. Why on earth would Sony spend nearly 4 billion on a dev and still have them make games on the competition's platform?

If I were to use Sony fannies logic it means Sony is going third party and is planning to exit the console business.😎

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Zero_epyon

@worlds_apart said:
@x_hedon said:

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives? ​No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. ​

Because it will publish those games and make money off of those games. Bungie cash will likely help subsidize other Sony projects.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:

Because it will publish those games and make money off of those games. Bungie cash will likely help subsidize other Sony projects.

"Bungie cash will help subsidize other Sony projects" What?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@davillain said:

It's not as big news as Bethesda and totally nothing big on Activision but hey, this is still a good buy. At least Sony will have Destiny as it is the discount Halo of course and Sony always wanted their own Halo game since Killzone couldn't get the job done.

Well killezone never was mean to be a halo killer that is the expectation the media gave not sony.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 tormentos
@pc_rocks said:

How the f**k is Bungie worth 3.6 billion? What do they have apart from Destiny?

Apart from making the highest rated halo chapters nothing really.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@tormentos said:
@davillain said:

It's not as big news as Bethesda and totally nothing big on Activision but hey, this is still a good buy. At least Sony will have Destiny as it is the discount Halo of course and Sony always wanted their own Halo game since Killzone couldn't get the job done.

Well killezone never was mean to be a halo killer that is the expectation the media gave not sony.

Killzone was great. I feel like anyone who says they dislike the franchise never got into it to begin with.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#178 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts

So, now Microsoft owns Crash Bandicoot and Sony owns the developers of the good Halo games, we live in a weird world.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

Killzone was great. I feel like anyone who says they dislike the franchise never got into it to begin with.

Or they just didn't like it. Seems like you really struggle with concept that your opinion is not universal.😎

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 tormentos

@worlds_apart said:
@x_hedon said:

To make more money on multiple platforms than on just 1.🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Or they just didn't like it. Seems like you really struggle with concept that your opinion is not universal.😎

Look who's talking 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

Look who's talking 🤣

That only works if it applies to me, but it doesn't. 😊

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
@tormentos said:
@worlds_apart said:
@x_hedon said:

To make more money on multiple platforms than on just 1.🤷‍♂️

People dont realize, that it was Bungie that had ALL of the leverage going into this deal. It was most likely BUNGIE's contractual demand that they have complete autonomy, and all of their games would remain multiplatform (which they've stated in the most explicit, unequivocal language possible is the case).

Bungie did not need Sony. They could have went to Microsoft for the same pricetag (and it was rumored since 2020 that they were in talks with MS for a similar pricetag, but Microsoft thought the price was too high, and theres no way they would agree to remain multiplatform). Sony, however, NEEDED Bungie. They needed bungie's expertise, they needed Bungie's live service revenue, and they needed to "respond" to please their shareholders and galvanize their audience.

It's my opinion that Sony did this as a defensive move to keep from permanently losing a foothold in the Live Service FPS space. Sony basically said "we'll pay you the same price as MS would have, but you get none of the cons of being first party. You do absolutely nothing/change nothing, but we get your revenue and we get to put your logo next to PlayStation letterhead on twitter." This is an "acquisition" in name only, and was done to please shareholders and look like Sony "responded" to their base.

Also, I dont believe a word of the "this was in the works for 6 months/not an Activision response" PR nonsense. I absolutely believe Bungie shopped themselves out to anyone who would buy them, and Jim Ryan (among others) likely sat on this for months. But if you dont believe Jim Ryan decided to pull the trigger directly in response to Activision, I have a bridge to sell you lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@tormentos said:
@davillain said:

Killzone 2 is still the best and has age well IMO.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#185 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

@worlds_apart:

Because $$$.

They also clearly want to get into live services and Bungie's tech, tools and expertise in live services can be used to strengthen all of PlayStation Studios. Things like cross save, cross play, matchmaking etc. can all now be easily solved within PlayStation. No one they own comes close to what Bungie offers in live services.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Zero_epyon

@davillain said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@tormentos said:
@davillain said:

Killzone 2 is still the best and has age well IMO.

I miss Killzone 2...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Zero_epyon

I think it's interesting that Sony and Bungie have outright said all current and future bungie games will remain multiplatform while MS uses vague language when they are asked about exclusivity.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#188  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

I think it's interesting that Sony and Bungie have outright said all current and future bungie games will remain multiplatform while MS uses vague language when they are asked about exclusivity.

I find it interesting that this is the first time Sony willingly allowed an IP it owns to go on another console and MS has done it multiple times, but you are acting as if Sony is a white knight

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Pedro

@regnaston said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I find it interesting that this is the first time Sony willingly allowed an IP it owns to go on another console and MS has done it multiple times, but you are acting as if Sony is a white knight

Are you surprised? Let us not forget, that there are NO exclusives for the Xbox but these folks are now considering games on Xbox, PC and Cloud (IOS,Android,PC) exclusives. 😐

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#191 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

So Sony is allowing Bungie to make games for whatever platform they want indefinitely? This might be the dumbest move ever if that is the case.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38704 Posts

@kuu2 said:

So Sony is allowing Bungie to make games for whatever platform they want indefinitely? This might be the dumbest move ever if that is the case.

Sony will have a much better Halo game. Let that sink in little kuu2.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Pedro

@hardwenzen said:
@kuu2 said:

Halo Infinite has been on your mind for over a year. Let that sink in.😂

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Zero_epyon

@regnaston said:
@Zero_epyon said:

First, I was commenting specifically on how they communicate their intent on keeping games multiplatform. If MS' intent is truly to keep Activision games multiplatform, they should just come out and say it. But since they're not, that means they're leaving the door open to the possibility of making them exclusive. Somehow, you spun my observation into some kind of damage control attempt. That's odd.

Second, what MS IP was allowed to go on multiple platform outside of Windows? Because Minecraft is the only game that comes to mind and it was already on multiple platforms.

Third, they've made MLB the show multiplatform, admittedly because of the licensing agreement with MLB, available on Xbox and Switch.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#195 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Damn Sony must be desperate to buy a studio that only has made 1 craptastic game and 1 little less craptastic sequel since Halo Reach

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Pedro
@Zero_epyon said:

First, I was commenting specifically on how they communicate their intent on keeping games multiplatform. If MS' intent is truly to keep Activision games multiplatform, they should just come out and say it. But since they're not, that means they're leaving the door open to the possibility of making them exclusive. Somehow, you spun my observation into some kind of damage control attempt. That's odd.

Second, what MS IP was allowed to go on multiple platform outside of Windows? Because Minecraft is the only game that comes to mind and it was already on multiple platforms.

Third, they've made MLB the show multiplatform, admittedly because of the licensing agreement with MLB, available on Xbox and Switch.

I guess you forgot this quote from Phil Spencer

"“I’ll just say to players out there who are playing Activision Blizzard games on Sony’s platform: It’s not our intent to pull communities away from that platform and we remained committed to that.”"

Second, Minecraft Dungeons, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Doom, Psychonauts 2 and Ori are multi-platform games outside of Windows. Try not to backpedal now, because you did mention Minecraft as an example.😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38704 Posts

@Pedro said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kuu2 said:

Halo Infinite has been on your mind for over a year. Let that sink in.😂

The game is not even in the top 30 on twitch. Please let that sink in.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Pedro

@hardwenzen said:

The game is not even in the top 30 on twitch. Please let that sink in.

1.5 years, Halo Infinite still consumers you. Please let that sink further in.😂🤣

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Zero_epyon
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I guess you forgot this quote from Phil Spencer

"“I’ll just say to players out there who are playing Activision Blizzard games on Sony’s platform: It’s not our intent to pull communities away from that platform and we remained committed to that.”"

Second, Minecraft Dungeons, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Doom, Psychonauts 2 and Ori are multi-platform games outside of Windows. Try not to backpedal now, because you did mention Minecraft as an example.😎

I didn't since I made this thread here where several posters, suggested the idea that Phil would eventually make things exclusive because it wouldn't make sense to support Sony.

But you seem to forget this

Sounds like they're only leaving there for now because of contractual obligations. Just like Deathloop.

Those Bethesda games were either already on allor already in contract for development before they bought them.

Ori is the only MS owned IP in that list that made it to another console.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2395 Posts

So constructive. They could have spent 3.6 billion dollars making games... What do their movie games typically cost, 50 million?