Sony is at it again... this time censoring the upcoming Tales of Arise.

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Our faithful protectors working diligently to protect us from the bad things. Thank you Sony!

EDIT: This list is for those who won't or can't click on the link, for some odd reason:

1. Multiple costumes (all female characters) have been made less risque.

2. There is a hot springs scene which is completely removed from the game on Sony platforms. It is not plot significant, but it is still removed. The area still exists but one scene from there is gone.

3. Associated costumes (bath towels) that are earned by seeing the hot springs scene in question are completely removed.

4. The gender symbols (in the ingame language) on said hot spring’s doors have been removed.

5. There is an optional scene where the female characters make sexual remarks towards each other. This entire scene is removed.

6. There is a scene where one of the male characters walks in on one of the female characters, and it is implied that he sees her naked, though nothing is shown in any version. In the Playstation versions however, the dialog is different and the sexual implications are removed.

7. A weapon carried by one of the NPCs has had it’s design changed. I’m not entirely sure what the reasoning is behind this one.

8. There is a scene where an enemy punches one of your female characters. In the PS version, she dodges out of the way but still falls down.

9. A dialog choice has been altered. There is a flamboyant character (I don’t think it’s ever specified that he’s gay, but it’s heavily implied) who in other versions, you have the option of questioning his flirting towards you. But in the PS versions, this dialog is changed to you just calling him annoying.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1392 Posts

Mh, to me it looks like Sony is focusing on dull off-the-rack anime games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

My gods, be harder to jerk off to anime woman.

P-A-N-I-C

Our freedoms is being stiffled. Tyranny. Litterally 1984.

The Jedi are taking over.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7196 Posts

This company is such a joke. Showing a lady in a towel or bathing suit equals bad, but showing heads being blown off with blood spraying everywhere equals good? Keep up the good work Sony, save the world from shirtless men and women in short shorts.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Good job Sony. You've triggered the perverts.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Robbie23  Online
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Code vein got away got away with much worse.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

From what I heard, it's mostly towards hot springs, bath, and shower scenes and so with that, I'd rather see the characters wearing casual clothes or party dresses so that's a given. But on a Sony console that's supposed to be aiming for it's homeland, why they would expect Arise to show anime tits with this direction? No matter, I was going to get Tales of Arise on PC anyway and I no longer buy JRPG games on consoles to avoid crap like this and have more freedom.

PC Privileges😎🤩

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@davillain-: Getting it on Series X, here. So glad Sony no longer has a monopoly on consoles with games like this.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

They're not known worldwide as Phony, the one and only for nuttin ya know. :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator

@shadyacshuns said:

@davillain-: Getting it on Series X, here. So glad Sony no longer has a monopoly on consoles with games like this.

Only 1 month away to play this awesome game so hopefully we'll enjoy it without restrictions. Unfortunately for Sony fans, they're just gonna have to sink or swim so oh well.

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Good job Sony. You've triggered the perverts.

Psst, Psst. That's not how you represent your loyal fans. And you call yourself Sony cheerleader🤭

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

That's it? "This game is censored"? No info on what they censored and how?

Fun thread.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

I blame you, feminists! I BLAME YOOOOOOU!

*obvious sarcasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Litchie said:

That's it? "This game is censored"? No info on what they censored and how?

Fun thread.

1. Multiple costumes (all female characters) have been made less risque.

2. There is a hot springs scene which is completely removed from the game on Sony platforms. It is not plot significant, but it is still removed. The area still exists but one scene from there is gone.

3. Associated costumes (bath towels) that are earned by seeing the hot springs scene in question are completely removed.

4. The gender symbols (in the ingame language) on said hot spring’s doors have been removed.

5. There is an optional scene where the female characters make sexual remarks towards each other. This entire scene is removed.

6. There is a scene where one of the male characters walks in on one of the female characters, and it is implied that he sees her naked, though nothing is shown in any version. In the Playstation versions however, the dialog is different and the sexual implications are removed.

7. A weapon carried by one of the NPCs has had it’s design changed. I’m not entirely sure what the reasoning is behind this one.

8. There is a scene where an enemy punches one of your female characters. In the PS version, she dodges out of the way but still falls down.

9. A dialog choice has been altered. There is a flamboyant character (I don’t think it’s ever specified that he’s gay, but it’s heavily implied) who in other versions, you have the option of questioning his flirting towards you. But in the PS versions, this dialog is changed to you just calling him annoying.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Is this where people all of sudden pretend they care about this game?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@shadyacshuns: lol nice. That last one made me laugh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Litchie said:

@shadyacshuns: lol nice. That last one made me laugh.

Sony should just call their consoles "wokestation" from now on. :(

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

Sony are so protective. Censoring games from being... Inappropriate... Hard... Too much gameplay... They even put lots of FMV and QTEs in to protect their gamers from all that pesky gameplay that could corrupt them.

Sunshine and gosh darn rainbows.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

So it is acceptable for a man (or even a woman) to punch a man, but it is not acceptable for a man to punch a woman? Notice the double-standard here?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

Sony cutting off cringe anime stuff? oh the horror

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Not surprised but the leaks was from 4chan.

Seems like this is something devs needs to confirm.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#21  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

might want to add that its a rumor. Also about the costume part, it looks no different from their previous entries. Now the US version may get some censoring/changes is some areas, an example would be a scene in Tales of Berseria which was different from its JP counterpart.

https://toarise.tales-ch.jp/special/dlc.php

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Sony virgins will have to use the disc drive slot for their pleasure again,oh well another trip to A and E to get it removed by a nurse.

"I slipped and fell on top of my PS"

😆

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

So funny how the PC guys come in here and act like it's not a big deal, just because this isn't their kind of game, but if the next diablo or crysis was screwed around with by Sony, they'd stomp their feet about a corp changing a devs creation.

Hypocritical? Yes, very.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts
@shadyacshuns said:

So funny how the PC guys come in here and act like it's not a big deal, just because this isn't their kind of game, but if the next diablo or crysis was screwed around with by Sony, they'd stomp their feet about a corp changing a devs creation.

Hypocritical? Yes, very.

? I have the game preordered, you can like the game and not be in it for the creepy anime hotspring scenes lol

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

I'll never understand censoring nudity, sex and sexual dialogue in games in an industry that allows extreme violence and human dismemberment.

I can "role play" as an assassin and chop up an entire village but I can't see the bar maid's boobs?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

Yet full on sex scene with topless nudity in TLOU Part II, lol

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@mesome713: For once... we agree. I don't play anime games and don't understand the attraction some have towards the style but there are ratings on the games for a reason. Let the devs make what they want and let the public buy what they want.

The only way I would side with censorship on games is if it was an existing IP or character and the original creators didn't want their characters shown in such a way whereas the dev wanted more sexualization.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@shadyacshuns said:

Hypocritical? Yes, very.

I think you are missing the point here. Some of us just don't care about that extra stuff with hot tube/hotspring stuff, we just want to play the core of the game and discuss about it. I preorder it on Steam and to me, you either have it or you don't when it comes to ecchi stuff.

Edit: Most SW users know I'm also a hentai fan and if I want to play a hentai game, I know where to go but Tales of Arise isn't one of them if you know what I mean lol.

@freedom01 said:

might want to add that its a rumor. Also about the costume part, it looks no different from their previous entries. Now the US version may get some censoring/changes is some areas, an example would be a scene in Tales of Berseria which was different from its JP counterpart.

https://toarise.tales-ch.jp/special/dlc.php

I didn't do that much on research but form what I can tell so far, I haven't notice much change but it's clear this may effect PS4/PS5.

By the way, I thought this was coming to Switch, guess that's not the case.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

Hypocritical? Yes, very.

Many PC players were upset when Capcom removed Cammy and R.Miki shoving their asshole into the screen.

Was a great loss for society.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Jim Ryan continues his crusade against anime boobs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#32 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My gods, be harder to jerk off to anime woman.

P-A-N-I-C

Our freedoms is being stiffled. Tyranny. Litterally 1984.

The Jedi are taking over.

😂This.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@davillain-: For me it's never been about the "creepy" stuff, as some have put it, but about changing content unnecessarily. I don't think any creator likes the idea of a third party changing their content when it's not merited.

I also think it's just shallow to defend censorship only when they think it affects the games they don't favor to begin with.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Pretty weird to see Sony doing this stuff. I’ll be getting the Xbox version myself anyway. Love the Tales of games so really looking forward to this new one.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1844 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

Hypocritical? Yes, very.

Dude, nobody can censor PC. We have nudity mods for a reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Original source (reddit) already deleted the post. It's fake until it's proven by someone with EVIDENCE. Which this is lacking.

And the Twitter account has 17 followers LMAO.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I don't understand why they'd do this (or if it's even true), but I'm against censoring media or art unless it somehow is doing something illegal.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

Don't really see the issue with it (not that this game is something I was gonna get anyway, not big into anime or JRPGs tbh). Most of the stuff above mentioned in OPs post sounds weird and creepy af, as well as not integral to the game/plot so really don't see the issue.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7196 Posts

@tribesjah: Yet you accept heads and limbs being blown to pieces? What’s the difference?

Woman wearing a bathing suit is bad, but women having theirs heads bashed and body parts shot and cut is ok. That sounds bout right. Thank you o great Sony, good looking out.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Might want to change the topic to "CERO is at it again"

The reason for this absurd censorship can very likely be attributed to Japan’s CERO ratings board that are known to have some very inane requirements for censorship on their titles. Masahiro Sakurai, the man behind the Super Smash Bros series, has also commented on CERO’s absurd requests in order to allow products, mentioning that “They were being ridiculous and frankly quite juvenile” when discussing Mai Shiranui’s absence from the Smash series and the hurdles it took for them to accept Palutena and Wonder Pink’s designs.

When has CERO has gone from being a ratings board to one that imposes what can or cannot be shown in games released in Japan? This is the same ratings board that asked Konami to cut out the graphic violent scenes in some of the Metal Gear Solid Games and the same one that asked that the Japanese publisher of the 2011 game Homefront to remove any "unflattering" references to the late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il (father of current leader Kim Jong-un) and North Korea.

These two examples have nothing to do with ratings but imposing standards that are irrelevant to rating a game.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

@mesome713: Honestly I do not have an argument to answer you there. Although I will say that most games do not have limbs and heads being blown to pieces (there are some yes, but vast majority of "violent" games do not have that). From recent memory only ones I can think of is Doom Eternal and CoD WW2 (MW did not have that, and I have not played the new blac ops so can't say).

I will admit some of what I said earlier is driven by personal bias against the odd anime/henTai style and all that, especially the way women/girls are portrayed (I just find it extremely weird, especially the interest of all the people in the women in those types of games and the whole Japanese Otaku stuff super super odd/concerning)

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

While some of this scenes were dumb to begin with (why is there even a towel costume ?) the idea that the rest of the world should be asexual, is kind of disturbing.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

If it has an 18 rating whats the issue?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

The game is rated T-Teen - Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and /or infrequent use of strong language.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38723 Posts

What's happening in weeb games is none of my business.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6860 Posts

That's what happens when you let hard-core leftist from California call the shots.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@silentchief said:

That's what happens when you let hard-core leftist from California call the shots.

Or what happens when you game has a specific rating in a specific region.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

...and they just bought Crunchyroll 👉👌

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

This is kinda weird, in other similar instances Sony is even more into censoring than Nintendo. I wonder what triggered this sudden change.