Sony: God of War lifetime sales surpass 10 million

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for son-goku7523
#1 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

Sony pretty much confirmed that GOW lifetime sales have surpassed 10 million at their recent investor meeting.

Looks like Uncharted 4 is well over 15 million from this chart, and combined PS3 and PS4 sales seem to show TLOU2 has surpassed the 20 million lifetime sales mark. This gen has been an incredible run for them. Welp, there goes the moronic argument that Sony's "movie games" aren't insanely successful. Anyone that thinks they are going to change their formula going forward is insane. Their games not only perform well critically but they are sales juggernauts. How many MS or Nintendo IPs have sold over 10 million this generation? Spiderman, GOW, HZD, UC4, and TLOU2 have all broken the 10 million barrier this gen on one platform despite having heavy competition from 3rd party games.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#2 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

I'd be worried if it hadn't. GoW has been a hugely popular franchise through the years, and thankfully, the new GoW paid off remarkably. Excellent game.

In other news, people buy remasters. Let's see how BC is monetized.

Avatar image for ellos
#3 Posted by ellos (2025 posts) -

I guess there is going to be more Uncharted games lol. Those roomers that sony has a MS like studio created solely to put out Uncharted games is looking legit.

Avatar image for Gamerno6666
#4 Edited by Gamerno6666 (6738 posts) -

Deserved

Avatar image for subspecies
#5 Edited by Subspecies (507 posts) -

But lems told me Sony exclusives don't sell.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#6 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@subspecies said:

But lems told me Sony don't sell.

Who has said that?

Avatar image for davillain-
#7 Posted by DaVillain- (36500 posts) -

God of War Greek settings made the game way more interesting back on PS2 where it all begin. Greek mythology is what really gave God of War, the best single player experience of it's time. God of War 4 now set in Norse Mythology is were it's at. I do hope to see God of War go to Egyptian mythology in the future.

@lundy86_4 said:

In other news, people buy remasters. Let's see how BC is monetized.

Well, I did end up buying GoW3 again for PS4 so yeah, Sony got my money alright. Sony's already monetizing with PS Now.

Avatar image for subspecies
#8 Posted by Subspecies (507 posts) -

@lundy86_4: Jeez you're quick. I edited in "exclusives", which I accidentally left out, like two seconds after posting the comment but you still caught me lol.

Anyway, it's been the argument around here for a while that cows don't buy their own games.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#9 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Well, I did end up buying GoW3 again for PS4 so yeah, Sony got my money alright. Sony's already monetizing with PS Now.

Hey, i've bought the remasters as well.

@subspecies said:

@lundy86_4: Jeez you're quick. I edited in "exclusives", which I accidentally left out, like two seconds after posting the comment but you still caught me lol.

Anyway, it's been the argument around here for a while that cows don't buy their own games.

Haha, must be good timing.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#10 Posted by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

why is this shit all fuzzy?

and why are sony using metacritic like trolls?

whats the source link for this image?

oh and lol at using bar charts instead of giving solid numbers. why not just give the actual numbers? da fuk is this mickey mouse shit?

7 fucking year lifespan for the ps4 and the only games worth playing is an uncharted sequel, a god of war sequel, a last of us remaster and spiderman.

congrats.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#11 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

why is this shit all fuzzy?

and why are sony using metacritic like trolls?

whats the source link for this image?

oh and lol at using bar charts instead of giving solid numbers. why not just give the actual numbers? da fuk is this mickey mouse shit?

7 fucking year lifespan for the ps4 and the only games worth playing is an uncharted sequel, a god of war sequel, a last of us remaster and spiderman.

congrats.

Here.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#12 Posted by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@KBFloYd said:

why is this shit all fuzzy?

and why are sony using metacritic like trolls?

whats the source link for this image?

oh and lol at using bar charts instead of giving solid numbers. why not just give the actual numbers? da fuk is this mickey mouse shit?

7 fucking year lifespan for the ps4 and the only games worth playing is an uncharted sequel, a god of war sequel, a last of us remaster and spiderman.

congrats.

Here.

thanks for answering the first part of my questions.

Avatar image for valgaav_219
#13 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2375 posts) -

The salt is real in this thread. But back on topic. Well deserved, Sony. I still don't have God of War but I'll be picking it up soon and I own every game on that list. Sales numbers are looking great, though. I had no idea The Last of Us sold that much. I also had no idea it sold more on PS4 either

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

thanks for answering the first part of my questions.

The rest of your post didn't warrant a reply.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#15 Posted by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@KBFloYd said:

thanks for answering the first part of my questions.

The rest of your post didn't warrant a reply.

oh i guess ill go back to sucking sony cock. my bad.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#16 Edited by Mandzilla (4084 posts) -

@son-goku7523: Switch has 5 10+ million selling games I think, not sure about Xbox.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#17 Edited by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

@son-goku7523: Switch has 5 10+ million selling games I think, not sure about Xbox.

i think nintendo have two 15million sellers? mario kart 8 and smash bros ultimate? and barely 2 years into the gen.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#18 Edited by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

oh i guess ill go back to sucking sony cock. my bad.

If that's your go-to. Don't let me stop you.

You've been here long enough to know my post history, dumb-dumb. Don't lash out at people for simply providing a link you answered. Jeeeeesus.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#19 Posted by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@KBFloYd said:

oh i guess ill go back to sucking sony cock. my bad.

If that's your go-to. Don't let me stop you.

hey, got to follow the crowd right?

hide behind the masses. feels good 😊

Avatar image for boxrekt
#20 Edited by BoxRekt (1290 posts) -
@valgaav_219 said:

The salt is real in this thread. But back on topic. Well deserved, Sony. I still don't have God of War but I'll be picking it up soon and I own every game on that list. Sales numbers are looking great, though. I had no idea The Last of Us sold that much. I also had no idea it sold more on PS4 either

A lot of 360 fans who missed out on these type of masterclass games only playing Halo/Forza/Gears rehashes crossed over to PS4 this gen and wanted to experience greatness.

Unlike Sony fans, the vast majority of xbox fans had to break down and get their rival's system (PS4) in order to play the type of high quality games that are never found on their own primary system.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#21 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

hey, got to follow the crowd right?

hide behind the masses. feels good 😊

Check my edit... If you don't know my post-history by now, i'm not sure what kind of lacking-IQ i'm dealing with.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#22 Edited by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

@valgaav_219 said:

The salt is real in this thread. But back on topic. Well deserved, Sony. I still don't have God of War but I'll be picking it up soon and I own every game on that list. Sales numbers are looking great, though. I had no idea The Last of Us sold that much. I also had no idea it sold more on PS4 either

ps3 was a huge flop. its no surprise ps4 last of us version sold more despite being a remaster. look at mario kart 8 on wiiU then on switch.

Avatar image for phbz
#23 Posted by phbz (4418 posts) -

Well deserved.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#24 Edited by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@KBFloYd said:

hey, got to follow the crowd right?

hide behind the masses. feels good 😊

Check my edit... If you don't know my post-history by now, i'm not sure what kind of lacking-IQ i'm dealing with.

yea, It just seemed like you swept all my other "valid" points under the rug, out of sight, erased from existence. And i was wondering why?

so i lashed out.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#25 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3144 posts) -

Lol! The Switch has more impressive exclusive sales numbers than that and the thing is only 2 years old. Cows should feel ashamed

Avatar image for fedor
#26 Posted by Fedor (4917 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Oof, you're an emotional one.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#27 Posted by Mandzilla (4084 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Yup that's right, and Splatoon 2 will be hitting 10 million fairly soon also.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#28 Posted by Mandzilla (4084 posts) -

Good numbers for Sony though, God of War seems like a nice game so well deserved success.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#29 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

yea, It just seemed like you swept all my other "valid" points under the rug, out of sight, erased from existence. And i was wondering why?

so i lashed out.

Just answered the one point that I could.

Avatar image for calvincfb
#30 Posted by Calvincfb (1229 posts) -

@KBFloYd: lmao what a salty meltdown

Avatar image for calvincfb
#31 Posted by Calvincfb (1229 posts) -

@KBFloYd: if the PS3 was a huge flop with 80+ million units sold, what was the Wii U? LMAO

Avatar image for boxrekt
#32 Edited by BoxRekt (1290 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:

Lol! The Switch has more impressive exclusive sales numbers than that and the thing is only 2 years old. Cows should feel ashamed

lol nice idiotic post lemming.

Now let's apply that logic to the boards most praised multiplat:

"Sales of The Witcher, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt passed 33 million units, sold mostly on PS4 and PC for the third game."

https://www.dualshockers.com/witcher-sales-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

LMFAO, not just TW3, but the Witcher FRANCHISE only 33million across 4 systems as of March 2018. This is the most highly praised multiplat for you bottom feeders who live off 3rd party games.

The fact that The Witcher was originally a PC exclusive and has a install base of what 200 million? lol the entire franchise barely even topped TLOU, a single PS4 exclusive? Ha.

You bottom feeder 3rd party scavengers should be ashamed that console Nintendo and PS4 exclusives together do better than your most praised games with a combined user base of over 450 million users.

Ironic that it sold even better on Sony systems despite the 200 million "Install base" of PC pirate section.

Sit the f*** down.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#33 Edited by KBFloYd (21815 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@KBFloYd: if the PS3 was a huge flop with 80+ million units sold, what was the Wii U? LMAO

actually, Sony only sold 20miliion ps3's which probably all died with BLOD then in 2009 when they released the cheap plastic ps3s with everything taken out they sold 60 million of those.

oh and they also sold 3 or 4 corporate buildings. they sold the computer division. sony sold a lot that gen lol.

nintendo only sold 13M wiiU's so i guess sony did sell much much more stuff.

Avatar image for fedor
#34 Posted by Fedor (4917 posts) -

@boxrekt: Lol what a weird meltdown you just had.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#35 Posted by dxmcat (2610 posts) -

I like games with more playable time than a weekend so

no thx sony.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#36 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@fedor said:

@boxrekt: Lol what a weird meltdown you just had.

He's right though. Witcher 3's numbers while being impressive are spread across 3 platforms. PS4's exclusives are on one platform and still pulling impressive numbers. Also going by those numbers in that chart it shows that PS4 accounted for a majority of the sales of Witcher 3.

@goldenelementxl said:

Lol! The Switch has more impressive exclusive sales numbers than that and the thing is only 2 years old. Cows should feel ashamed

Not really. What other games are Nintendo's games competing with on Switch?

PS4's exclusives are selling 10 million+ despite the stiff 3rd party competition on PS4. PS4 gamers are buying million of units of 3rd party games as well as supporting their own games. Switch owners are buying Nintendo games and ignoring 3rd party, it's not hard for Nintendo to pull impressive numbers for their exclusives when 3rd party games sell poorly on the system. Look at games like COD, Witcher 3, RDR2, etc. and you'll find that majority of their sales come from PS4, and PS4 owners still manage to buy their own exclusive games while supporting the bulk of 3rd party sales. I'd say based on these facts PS4 owners should be very proud. I have to ask what Lems and Sheep are playing. Lems aren't buying their exclusives and it looks like Sheep only buy exclusives and nothing else. PS4 owners are the only ones buying everything based on this data.

Avatar image for tormentos
#37 Posted by tormentos (29037 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

why is this shit all fuzzy?

and why are sony using metacritic like trolls?

whats the source link for this image?

oh and lol at using bar charts instead of giving solid numbers. why not just give the actual numbers? da fuk is this mickey mouse shit?

7 fucking year lifespan for the ps4 and the only games worth playing is an uncharted sequel, a god of war sequel, a last of us remaster and spiderman.

congrats.

What and incredible meltdown...

The PS4 is 5 and half years not 7,and has had quite allot more games than the ones you just name,in fact bloodborn been one of those,infamous,Horizon and others.

I expected lemmings to be this butthurt but a sheep? lol What a surprise.

@KBFloYd said:
@mandzilla said:

@son-goku7523: Switch has 5 10+ million selling games I think, not sure about Xbox.

i think nintendo have two 15million sellers? mario kart 8 and smash bros ultimate? and barely 2 years into the gen.

Yes and 3rd party games sell like total shit,which bring me to my second point how is RDR2 on switch? lol

Man what an epic meltdown..lol

@KBFloYd said:
@valgaav_219 said:

The salt is real in this thread. But back on topic. Well deserved, Sony. I still don't have God of War but I'll be picking it up soon and I own every game on that list. Sales numbers are looking great, though. I had no idea The Last of Us sold that much. I also had no idea it sold more on PS4 either

ps3 was a huge flop. its no surprise ps4 last of us version sold more despite being a remaster. look at mario kart 8 on wiiU then on switch.

Please lets not talk about flops,the PS3 may have not sold like the PS2 did,but the wii u was 5 times bigger flop than the PS3,it sold basically 1 /10 of what the wii sold,the PS3 at least sold more than half of what the PS2 sold.

@goldenelementxl said:

Lol! The Switch has more impressive exclusive sales numbers than that and the thing is only 2 years old. Cows should feel ashamed

And the worse multiplatform sales of anyplatform, nintendo's games have always sell on its platform at the expense of 3rd party games.

This is true even for N64 or GC.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#38 Edited by BoxRekt (1290 posts) -
@fedor said:

@boxrekt: Lol what a weird meltdown you just had.

Why weird?

I was pointing out an idiotic criticism and putting it in perspective so even a moron could understand it.

Sony games are literally the only titles that get criticized for selling less than the install base yet the same group who criticize will congratulate multiplats with 3 to 5x the base for the same sales or selling the same relative to the scale of the total user base.

Again, what was weird?

Avatar image for Ant_17
#39 Posted by Ant_17 (12431 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@fedor said:

@boxrekt: Lol what a weird meltdown you just had.

Why weird?

I was pointing out an idiotic criticism and putting it in perspective so even a moron could understand it.

Sony games are literally the only titles that get criticized for selling less than the install base yet the same group who criticize will congratulate with multiplats 3 to 5x the base for the same sales or selling the same relative to the scale of the total user base.

Again, what was weird?

The fact you called golden a lem. But it can't be helped you fell for the cheap bait.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#40 Edited by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Lol! The Switch has more impressive exclusive sales numbers than that and the thing is only 2 years old. Cows should feel ashamed

lol nice idiotic post lemming.

Now let's apply that logic to the boards most praised multiplat:

"Sales of The Witcher, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt passed 33 million units, sold mostly on PS4 and PC for the third game."

https://www.dualshockers.com/witcher-sales-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

LMFAO, not just TW3, but the Witcher FRANCHISE only 33million across 4 systems as of March 2018. This is the most highly praised multiplat for you bottom feeders who live off 3rd party games.

The fact that The Witcher was originally a PC exclusive and has a install base of what 200 million? lol the entire franchise barely even topped TLOU, a single PS4 exclusive? Ha.

You bottom feeder 3rd party scavengers should be ashamed that console Nintendo and PS4 exclusives together do better than your most praised games with a combined user base of over 450 million users.

Ironic that it sold even better on Sony systems despite the 200 million "Install base" of PC pirate section.

Sit the f*** down.

The dude isn't a Lem, lol. Congrats.

You need to chill the f*ck out.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#41 Edited by BoxRekt (1290 posts) -
@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Lol! The Switch has more impressive exclusive sales numbers than that and the thing is only 2 years old. Cows should feel ashamed

lol nice idiotic post lemming.

Now let's apply that logic to the boards most praised multiplat:

"Sales of The Witcher, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt passed 33 million units, sold mostly on PS4 and PC for the third game."

https://www.dualshockers.com/witcher-sales-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

LMFAO, not just TW3, but the Witcher FRANCHISE only 33million across 4 systems as of March 2018. This is the most highly praised multiplat for you bottom feeders who live off 3rd party games.

The fact that The Witcher was originally a PC exclusive and has a install base of what 200 million? lol the entire franchise barely even topped TLOU, a single PS4 exclusive? Ha.

You bottom feeder 3rd party scavengers should be ashamed that console Nintendo and PS4 exclusives together do better than your most praised games with a combined user base of over 450 million users.

Ironic that it sold even better on Sony systems despite the 200 million "Install base" of PC pirate section.

Sit the f*** down.

The dude isn't a Lem, lol. Congrats.

Yet said he has 2 xbox one X's and takes every opportunity to hate on Sony and playstation. Cool Story.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Yet has 2 xbox one X's. Cool Story.

That's your prerequisite? That's more idiotic than your post.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#43 Edited by BoxRekt (1290 posts) -
@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

Yet has 2 xbox one X's. Cool Story.

That's your prerequisite? That's more idiotic than your post.

Never said that was my prerequisite, I just pointed out the connection. My prerequisite is his posting habbits. If it walks like a duck and all that.

lol my question to you is why are you all upset and in white knight mode over me pointing that out?

You xbox fanatics hate to be called xbox fans but all you do is xbox fanboy shit. You need to get off your soap box and stop trying to protect your bothers for acting like what they are.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#44 Edited by lundy86_4 (53150 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Never said that was my prerequisite, I just pointed out the connection. My prerequisite is his posting habbits. If it walks like a duck and all that.

lol my question to you is why are you all upset and in white knight mode over me pointing that out? You xbox fanatics hate to be called xbox fans but all you do is xbox fanboy shit. You need to get off your soap box and stop trying to protect your bothers for acting like what they are.

Forgive me for making that leap in logic...

I'm not upset. However, please continue lol.

Edit: I edited this after you called me an "xbox fanatic," because that's just glorious. As I said before... Please, please, continue. NVM, I just noticed you did that initially. So, that's hilarious.

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#45 Posted by getyeryayasout (12322 posts) -

As long as I can remember since I've been following this stuff, smash hits sell to about 10% of the install base of any given platform.

Downplaying GoW's sales figures is silly since it falls right in line with those numbers. I'm sure Sony is happy.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#46 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

As long as I can remember since I've been following this stuff, smash hits sell to about 10% of the install base of any given platform.

Downplaying GoW's sales figures is silly since it falls right in line with those numbers. I'm sure Sony is happy.

I agree.

It's pointless anyway, the whole attachment rate argument was bullshit. As long as a game manages to sell well enough to provide profit I'm sure its publishers are happy. Calling any game with sales between 5-10 million on a single platform a flop is stupid at best.

Avatar image for tormentos
#47 Posted by tormentos (29037 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@calvincfb said:

@KBFloYd: if the PS3 was a huge flop with 80+ million units sold, what was the Wii U? LMAO

actually, Sony only sold 20miliion ps3's which probably all died with BLOD then in 2009 when they released the cheap plastic ps3s with everything taken out they sold 60 million of those.

oh and they also sold 3 or 4 corporate buildings. they sold the computer division. sony sold a lot that gen lol.

nintendo only sold 13M wiiU's so i guess sony did sell much much more stuff.

The meltdown continues.

Avatar image for fedor
#48 Posted by Fedor (4917 posts) -

@son-goku7523: The chart is only through 2017 and shows a huge gap forming in sales going to PC. TW3 is still selling well on PC to this day, safe to say its sold best on PC.

My comment was more towards him calling Golden a lem tho. Agree with your sentiment tho, PS exclusives do damn well imo.

Avatar image for mojito1988
#49 Posted by mojito1988 (3606 posts) -

That is great. Too bad the Ps4 has so few games that I want to play.

Avatar image for calvincfb
#50 Posted by Calvincfb (1229 posts) -

@KBFloYd: lmao, aren't you ashamed of spreading this bullshit? What a meltdown.