Sony fails to register a single Million seller in Japan.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

This is the first time in 17 years that a single game has failed to hit the million copies sold mark in Japan. There wasn't a single million seller for the PSP, Vita, or the PS3. Not Final Fantasy XIII-2 or RE6. Is Sony declining in it's own territory or is it just an off year? They used to dominate so hard. Next Gen needs to come fast.

Link

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Yup, We need the PS4 and 720 badly right now

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

Unlucky sony.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

they need to stop trying to copy west and do their own thing, ff xiii or re 6 hardly have anything that made their predecesors great because of "teh cinematic action". i've been a fan of ff since ff iv and ff xiii and xiii-2 are the only ones i didnt like. Same for re. And is also true ff always have been a bit excentric but they are now also borderline ridiculous.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

they need to stop trying to copy west and do their own thing, ff xiii or re 6 hardly have anything that made their predecesors great because of "teh cinematic action". i've been a fan of ff since ff iv and ff xiii and xiii-2 are the only ones i didnt like. Same for re. And is also true ff always have been a bit excentric but they are now also borderline ridiculous.

Krelian-co

what's amazingly funny is that not even Japan gives a F* about FFXIII-2 and Square is making a 3rd one. The idiots don't realize that they are just wasting resources at the same time they are about to kill the Dragon Quest series too if DQX's poor sales are anything to go by.

And to make things even worse than they already are: Former president of Square Enix calls corporate merger a disaster. Da fk is Wada doing? He is destroying Square with his westernization plans and by putting a mediocre developer like Toriyama at the helm of FF development.

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

But don't worry, you can still watch movies on it...

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

This is the first time in 17 years that a single game has failed to hit the million copies sold mark in Japan. There wasn't a single million seller for the PSP, Vita, or the PS3. Not Final Fantasy XIII-2 or RE6. Is Sony declining in it's own territory or is it just an off year? They used to dominate so hard. Next Gen needs to come fast.

Link

ninjapirate2000
Not surprising. Everything Sony has touched this gen has turned to crap.
MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MaskedPlayer

Bruce_Benzing
So? You can also watch movies on 360 and PC.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Yup, We need the PS4 and 720 badly right now

EPaul
How would this help any? The Japanese don't care so much for uber new tech.
MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MaskedPlayer
[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"]

Link

jimmypsn

Not really.Sony havent been perfect this year but I wouldnt say they were terrible.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11234 Posts

Oh I see.. its this year only right? Because MGS4, FFXIII, Monster Hunter etc to name a few have sold well over the million mark in Japan alone.

2012 hasn't really given good games to anyone, so I'm not surprised. The only game I got was Max Payne 3, and thats with Steams Rockstar package.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEroica
Member since 2009 • 22626 Posts
Damn.... thats ugly.
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts
out of curiosity, how many did ninty have?
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

hmm I'm surprised that the One Piece musou game didn't sell over a million. It should've been really close considering from what I've read, it sold a total of 940,000 around March.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

What a shame. Sony can't even do well in their homeland. They better hope PS4 is a hit or they are finished. Nearly everything they have put out this gen has been a flop

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

that's playstation for you now a days

ReggieFils-Aime.jpg

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica

Oh I see.. its this year only right? Because MGS4, FFXIII, Monster Hunter etc to name a few have sold well over the million mark in Japan alone.

2012 hasn't really given good games to anyone, so I'm not surprised. The only game I got was Max Payne 3, and thats with Steams Rockstar package.

Mozelleple112
Speak for yourself.... there are plenty of great games to play this year.
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jeffster85

hmm I'm surprised that the One Piece musou game didn't sell over a million. It should've been really close considering from what I've read, it sold a total of 940,000 around March.

timmy00
i'd be amazed if it didn't reach 1M since then...
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Link

ninjapirate2000
I'm not surprised. Many of their exclusives don't sell millions in the U.S. either. Where they sell the millions are in Europe. That's really Sony's main territory now.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="Bruce_Benzing"]

MaskedPlayer

Typical lemming jelly because their system doesn't play Blu-rays as well as games. See they are stuck with just gaming unless they want to pay for live so that they can pay for Netflix. At least they have DVD. Sure is nice to be able to use my system for something other than a paper weight when I wish to take a break from gaming.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AmazonTreeBoa

What a shame. Sony can't even do well in their homeland. They better hope PS4 is a hit or they are finished. Nearly everything they have put out this gen has been a flop

BPoole96
Most of your replies anymore are flops.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica
[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"][QUOTE="Bruce_Benzing"]

AmazonTreeBoa

Typical lemming jelly because their system doesn't play Blu-rays as well as games. See they are stuck with just gaming unless they want to pay for live so that they can pay for Netflix. At least they have DVD. Sure is nice to be able to use my system for something other than a paper weight when I wish to take a break from gaming.

Yup im sure that would make anyone "jelly" :lol:
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

jeffster85

i'd be amazed if it didn't reach 1M since then...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/05/09-1/one-piece-pirate-warriors-close-to-hitting-1000000-sales

My only source really but yeah I'd be surprise too. I guess the game didn't have enough legs or they just stop counting the sales for it. >.>

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Mozelleple112

lol why do you persist in saying this? On my PC i've had 5 times more than i can play, had a brilliant time, and i haven't even bought a bunch i want.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

blue_hazy_basic

lol why do you persist in saying this? On my PC i've had 5 times more than i can play, had a brilliant time, and i haven't even bought a bunch i want.

Because most console gamers are completely clueless about the PC and what it offers
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

blue_hazy_basic

Same... I actually had to tell my wife to hold on to a few games for xmas because im so backlogged with stuff this year.... this is merely a situation where he is disappointed in his platform of choice and instead of calling out them he instead manifests a story that everyone else is miserable with no games this year.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

as expected this thread has become now a dumb fanboy thread with just plain stupid comments

seriously is microsoft paying some people here or there are actually people that dumb?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Link

ninjapirate2000
i think its more a reflection of the gaming culture in japan than anything sony has done. japan is dominated by ninty....thats it
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Link

jsmoke03

i think its more a reflection of the gaming culture in japan than anything sony has done. japan is dominated by ninty....thats it

I think Sony is chasing western gold, while Nintendo stayed Japanese.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

out of curiosity, how many did ninty have?jeffster85

About 5-6 + another 3-4 within spitting distance.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
they need to stop trying to copy west and do their own thingKrelian-co
This.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts
Yet the PS3 is still beasting it up and >Wii360. Thank you Sony.
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jeffster85

[QUOTE="jeffster85"]out of curiosity, how many did ninty have?Newhopes

link?
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
Games like Final Fantasy XIII-2 or RE6 not making the list is very concerning and that has nothing to do with Sony but rather Japanese developers.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10602 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"]

Link

MaskedPlayer

Not really.Sony havent been perfect this year but I wouldnt say they were terrible.

I take it that you never heard of "jimmypsn", huh?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ermacness

BPoole96

I wouldn't say that.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ermacness

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"] So? You can also watch movies on 360 and PC.TheEroica

The initial post sure enough had a fair share amout of "jelly" within it.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

AmazonTreeBoa

Most of your replies anymore are flops.

Good point

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Newhopes

[QUOTE="Newhopes"]

[QUOTE="jeffster85"]out of curiosity, how many did ninty have?jeffster85

link?

Don't have alink one I just keep an eye on Media-Create sales, for example the 3DS has 3 one million plus sellers in the Top 10 charts ATM.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

ermacness

I wouldn't say that.

PS3: Flop (This does not mean it is a bad system, but MS was able to gain so much ground on Sony this gen and Sony has dropped from a near monopoly with the PS2 to last place in sales and library. That is a quintessential flop)

PSP GO: Flop and was discontinued

PS Move: Flop. Barely gets any support and doesn't have any compelling Move-Only games. Kinect offers more quality games than the Move does.

PS Vita: Flopping all over the world and just got it's first must have game (Persona 4 Golden)

PSN: Flop. Sony has been playing catch up with MS's service from 2005. Even today, XBLG offers compelling features that are not found on PSN.

So yes, I would say that

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

I wouldn't say that.

PS3: Flop (This does not mean it is a bad system, but MS was able to gain so much ground on Sony this gen and Sony has dropped from a near monopoly with the PS2 to last place in sales and library. That is a quintessential flop)

PS Move: Flop. Barely gets any support and doesn't have any compelling Move-Only games. Kinect offers more quality games than the Move does.

PS Vita: Flopping all over the world and just got it's first must have game (Persona 4 Golden)

PSN: Flop. Sony has been playing catch up with MS's service from 2005. Even today, XBLG offers compelling features that are not found on PSN.

So yes, I would say that

Ouch! :lol:

Is it true you used to be a cow once? :P

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="ermacness"]I wouldn't say that.

Rocker6

So yes, I would say that

Ouch! :lol:

Is it true you used to be a cow once? :P

It is indeed true. Once I stopped drinking the Sony Kool-Aid and bought a PC, I became much more aware of how gimped PS3 is and what a failure Sony has been for the past 6 years. Cows get extra butthurt when I bash the PS3 because they know I speak from experience.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
They're prepping for Playstation Four
resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

its kotaku never mind them

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

it is hard to think of a single thing sony made this gen that isn't a financial flop. here's hoping they get their shiit together soon, despite how unlikely that seems at this point. :(

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I am pretty sure FF13 and Monster Hunter games sold more than a million just in Japan.
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"] So? You can also watch movies on 360 and PC.

LOL..yup..and given the quality of ps3 games this year he would need to take a lot of breaks from gaming
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Newhopes

I am pretty sure FF13 and Monster Hunter games sold more than a million just in Japan.funsohng

FF13-2 flopped sale wise.

Last monster hunter game on a Sony machine was a PSP port on the PS3 last year sold ok but nowhere near a million .

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Typical lemming jelly because their system doesn't play Blu-rays as well as games. See they are stuck with just gaming unless they want to pay for live so that they can pay for Netflix. At least they have DVD. Sure is nice to be able to use my system for something other than a paper weight when I wish to take a break from gaming.spiderluck

LOL..yup..and given the quality of ps3 games this year he would need to take a lot of breaks from gaming

:lol:
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Link

blackace

I'm not surprised. Many of their exclusives don't sell millions in the U.S. either. Where they sell the millions are in Europe. That's really Sony's main territory now.

This. Without Europe, Sony would be dead in the water right now.