deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#1 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
Member since 2018 • 501 Posts

Do you think that Sony will ever get a direct competitor to Game Pass that's of the same quality?

I know that PS Now is their answer currently and while I'm more kind towards it than most, it really isn't anywhere near the level of quality that Microsoft are providing.

What are your thoughts and predictions on this?

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

What quality is Microsoft providing on Gamepass? I tried only PSnow played few games don’t like the streaming only option at all and don’t like that you have to download the whole game to try the game out every game on Gamepass and PsNow should have a small demo, just don’t care for PSnow or Gamepass

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Not at the moment. Gamepass feels like a slightly desperate way to stop the bleeding and get back some momentum. As a market leader with the far superior exclusive lineup there is very little incentive for Sony to counter imo.

But if, five year from now, MS has been able to take over a significant market share and their studios actually deliver appealing games, Sony may be forced to reconsider.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Its direct competition to gamepass are $70 games, which i am perfectly fine with because the more expensive the game, higher chance of it being great.

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts

Honestly, no I think they won't have anything like Gamepass for the foreseeable future. To be clear the free games available monthly through PS+ and the PS+ collection on PS5 are also nice (like PS Now) but no, it's not anywhere close to Gamepass.

If the goal of a subscriber service is to get consumers into your ecosystem, then what is Sony's motivation to implement one? People already buy their hardware more quickly than they can supply it. Sony's also just less likely to run subsidize a Gamepass like service and lose money on it given that they are a smaller company than MS.

This is not a criticism of Sony. Unlike a lot of people over the past few months, I do think they are generally making good decisions given the realities of the industry now. I'm also skeptical that Gamepass will remain as is for long without some sort of massive price hike. I have to assume it's losing money for Microsoft. They won't let that go on forever.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

I subscribe to both PS Now and Gamepass. I don't think either is that great. I have suggested Game Pass to friends who aren't avid gamers and are a bit behind and still playing last gen. But seriously, neither service is amazing. There have been games on both I wanted to play and was happy with it, but I've gotten far more value out of PS Plus over PS Now. And so far, I've played three games on GP, but there isn't a ton on there that I have already played at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@Jendeh said:

I subscribe to both PS Now and Gamepass. I don't think either is that great. I have suggested Game Pass to friends who aren't avid gamers and are a bit behind and still playing last gen. But seriously, neither service is amazing. There have been games on both I wanted to play and was happy with it, but I've gotten far more value out of PS Plus over PS Now. And so far, I've played three games on GP, but there isn't a ton on there that I have already played at some point.

Yeah i played a lot of ps plus games like super meatboy and rocket league and broforce on ps4 ps+ free games sometimes beat GP ones sometimes you get brand new games on there that are really good.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Might be easier to list major things Sony would have e to do to make PS Now more like Game Pass:

• Offer first party games at release on service
  • Have every console game offered through local play, streaming support secondary consideration
  • Have content deliverable through local play on PC
  • Have game saves carry across platforms
  • Combine PS Plus and Now subscriptions combined under one plan

Anyhow, I think it's doable, eventually. If rumors about Steam going to Xbox turn out true I think Sony would be compelled to do same through EGs and quite frankly they'd do pretty well together. Both very aggressive paying for exclusives and can leverage offers together, EGS can be Sony's PC distribution angle with exclusive access to Sony IPs on PC. Whether it will happen... well, might take a while, but eventually.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@sheep99: 'What quality is Microsoft providing on Gamepass? I tried only PSnow played few games don’t like the streaming only option at all and don’t like that you have to download the whole game to try the game out every game on Gamepass and PsNow should have a small demo, just don’t care for PSnow or Gamepass'

Gets 100's of games for only $10 and yet still complains about having to actually download them. 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Sony better get to stepping sooner rather than later. What is trending now is not a reflection of what is trending in the future.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I hope they don't follow the MS route. I like the quality of most of their exclusives. Don't need them dumbed down because of a $1/month membership. High quality, high price and maybe throw it on PS Now years down the road when sales of that game slow down... And I guess the new thing is to throw it on PC years later and jack the price back up. Seems to be working good for them so far.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@theam0g: I actually agree with him. The best thing I liked about PS Now was browsing thru their library and instantly trying out games. I heard this is coming to gamepass, but not there yet.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Might be easier to list major things Sony would have e to do to make PS Now more like Game Pass:

• Offer first party games at release on service
  • Have every console game offered through local play, streaming support secondary consideration
  • Have content deliverable through local play on PC
  • Have game saves carry across platforms
  • Combine PS Plus and Now subscriptions combined under one plan

Anyhow, I think it's doable, eventually. If rumors about Steam going to Xbox turn out true I think Sony would be compelled to do same through EGs and quite frankly they'd do pretty well together. Both very aggressive paying for exclusives and can leverage offers together, EGS can be Sony's PC distribution angle with exclusive access to Sony IPs on PC. Whether it will happen... well, might take a while, but eventually.

Also a lot of PS games have had the multiplayer turned off. Where as practically all Xbox games as far back as the Xbox 360 are still playable online because they're on peer to peer. So there is still a lot missing on PSNow in that way.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

They absolutely have to come up with an answer….and adding movies to psnow isn’t it.

Perfect example of this is Returnal. By all accounts it’s a great game, and scored highly on meta and game sites….despite this, the word is that it has vastly underwhelmed in sales; dropped down to 15th place after a week in the UK charts with an 84 percent drop in sales estimated to be around 100,000.

Cows don’t like psnow. That’s apparent by how few people subscribe; something like 2-3%. Instead, they support the AAA Sony franchises - mostly 3rd person action adventures like Spider-Man, God of War, HZD, Uncharted and so on.

Charging 70 bucks for Returnal was never going to work out well…but imagine if it launched on PSNow. Cows would flock to the service and actually play games that don’t match up to big budget franchises but are still decent games.

That’s the beauty of Gamepass; I’ve played countless games that I wouldn’t have bought, and ended up loving them. I’ve bought more games through gp these last few years than through any other option, and the rising number of subscribers tell me that it’s the best deal in gaming right now bar none.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@sealionact said:

They absolutely have to come up with an answer….and adding movies to psnow isn’t it.

Perfect example of this is Returnal. By all accounts it’s a great game, and scored highly on meta and game sites….despite this, the word is that it has vastly underwhelmed in sales; dropped down to 15th place after a week in the UK charts with an 84 percent drop in sales estimated to be around 100,000.

Cows don’t like psnow. That’s apparent by how few people subscribe; something like 2-3%. Instead, they support the AAA Sony franchises - mostly 3rd person action adventures like Spider-Man, God of War, HZD, Uncharted and so on.

Charging 70 bucks for Returnal was never going to work out well…but imagine if it launched on PSNow. Cows would flock to the service and actually play games that don’t match up to big budget franchises but are still decent games.

That’s the beauty of Gamepass; I’ve played countless games that I wouldn’t have bought, and ended up loving them. I’ve bought more games through gp these last few years than through any other option, and the rising number of subscribers tell me that it’s the best deal in gaming right now bar none.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: actually I still think some publisher server is needed to control in game listing of the P2P hosted matches, but yeah, Capcom has kept Lost Planet servers up (so I read), whereas EA has cut the Army of Two server and that's still P2P, this upset me, hopefully MS and Sony can create a virtual local split-screen co-op through streaming virtual machine environments

mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 537 Posts

i think at some point sony will. i mean they didn't sign those huge server deals to use azure for no reach.. the funny thing is how is sony guys going to feel when they are loving sony ver. of gp knowing it's powered by MS..

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I seem to recall someone at Sony saying that they were considering things to try and rival Game Pass so I think that it’s a good possibility that we’ll see something in the future.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

not sure if they will. they did beat xbox convincingly last gen with just their exclusives. still outselling xbox almost 2:1 so if its not broken why fix it. i dont really care with these subscription i collect physical games that i really like

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@sealionact: Sonys games sell more than Microsoft and are higher quality. I'm fine with things the way they are and based on wallet votes, most consumers are. No need to "answer" to Gamepass. I get games on PS Now and Plus as well as higher budget games. Win win in my book. For as great as you say GP is, PS Now has more games. Could care less if they're release date games or not, if I haven't played them yet.. I haven't played them yet. Currently enjoying Rage 2, WWE Battlegrounds, Little Nightmares, Jump Force, Avengers, Borderlands 3, etc on PS Now.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Sony's games actually sell so they have no incentive to start giving away 9/10 and 10/10 masterpieces away for a dollar. It would also be disrespectful to the developers who spend years of their lives making these games to send the message that their games aren't worth paying for.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: You tell them man. Don't hesitate to show Returnal dominating May after owning third place in just one day. Xbox fannies don't buy games.😎

Avatar image for deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@NathanDrakeSwag: why did they make PSN $1 for a while then?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sealionact

@Sagemode87: “ For as great as you say GP is, PS Now has more games.”

Brilliant. So why do Cows think psnow is not worth subscribing to?

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Sony already has one that's much better but they don't like it and also they are going to have one soon although that model isn't sustainable but it's going to be incredible.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:

Not at the moment. Gamepass feels like a slightly desperate way to stop the bleeding and get back some momentum. As a market leader with the far superior exclusive lineup there is very little incentive for Sony to counter imo.

But if, five year from now, MS has been able to take over a significant market share and their studios actually deliver appealing games, Sony may be forced to reconsider.

Yea.. I feel like outside of SW, GamePass isn't nearly as amazing as people here make it out to be lmao. I wanted to sign up for the $1 trial but there is almost nothing I actually want to play. It's becoming a recycle center for the industry for those games that don't sell well or want that extra boost at launch because they're not sure how it's going to perform.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Seems like there are a lot of people who are very ignorant about what games are actually on GP at any given time, almost like they are just taking shots in the dark about things they have no knowledge of, or something...

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Why would they do it? Xbox is sinking in sales while PS5 are selling like hotcakes. Gamepass is an utter failure in terms of moving Xbox consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@Pedro: MS has been failing to trend for the last 10 years or so, so no, they don't need to step up anything. MS is failure.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Sony still can't even match Xbox Live. So no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-628e6669daebe

Some of the games released in 2020 I've played through Game Pass in 2020: Doom Eternal, Ori 2, Wasteland 3, MSFS2020, Carrion, Desperados 3, Journey to the Savage Planet, Gears Tactics, Gears Hivebusters.

Cows: I don't feel like the service is worth $1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Some of the games released in 2020 I've played through Game Pass in 2020: Doom Eternal, Ori 2, Wasteland 3, MSFS2020, Carrion, Desperados 3, Journey to the Savage Planet, Gears Tactics, Gears Hivebusters.

Cows: I don't feel like the service is worth $1.

Let me bump another gamepass spam rox thread and and crap on a returnal thread saying its spam

sheesh /facepalm

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

Why would they do it? Xbox is sinking in sales while PS5 are selling like hotcakes. Gamepass is an utter failure in terms of moving Xbox consoles.

you dont make money on consoles.. never have.. its the service you make money on and game,controllers etc.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

@hardwenzen: wow so a high price equals quality in your book? That might just be the dumbest thing I ever read on SW, and that’s saying a lot..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@ProtossRushX: You're still here? Did I forget to flush the toilet?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sealionact

@wonderwinner: Both consoles are selling well….and Xsx outsold the ps5 in April here in the UK. I know that hurts you personally, but all it does is trash your “utter failure” hypothesis.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@firedrakes: That's actually wrong, the ps4 was profitable very early on, and most consoles actually are profitable after a few years on the market. MS is the only big player who has never made money off of their consoles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-60bf765068a74
@ghost_of_phobos said:

@ProtossRushX: You're still here? Did I forget to flush the toilet?

We can't all be 2020 alt accounts for who knows what? Yikes. Get some integrity and showing up to the party finally in 2020 to flush old users on gamestop forums doesn't scream "true gamer" to me. Screams desperate shill trying to take down one side and promote another.

I fight my battles everywhere and am pretty neutral.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@ProtossRushX: I'll flush again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen  Online

@djoffer123 said:

@hardwenzen: wow so a high price equals quality in your book? That might just be the dumbest thing I ever read on SW, and that’s saying a lot..

You wouldn't be saying that if your Xbox had $70 games. I am actually excited for Sony to increase the price tag of their games to $80 because you know damn well their quality will increase by at least 50%. More expensive=better. Its pretty simple if you ask me.

You're only finding it dumb because you don't see the full picture.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Djoffer123

@hardwenzen: you are trolling right??

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen  Online

@djoffer123 said:

Is a car made by Ferrari good or bad? Its great. Is it expensive? Yes. Here's your answer. I respect expensive things, and expect them to be better, just like $70 Sony exclusives. If they were to increase the price, its only for the better, for the customer. I think you're just trolling me with your questions.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@sts106mat said:
@hardwenzen said:
@djoffer123 said:

Is a car made by Ferrari good or bad? Its great. Is it expensive? Yes. Here's your answer. I respect expensive things, and expect them to be better, just like $70 Sony exclusives. If they were to increase the price, its only for the better, for the customer. I think you're just trolling me with your questions.

stupid analogy. are you regularly buying Ferrari's and super happy when the price suddenly jumps up 15%?

15% is not much for an adult. Never forget that.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Djoffer123

@hardwenzen: no idea how to respond to that nonsense, but you do you I guess:)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@sts106mat said:
@hardwenzen said:
@sts106mat said:
@hardwenzen said:

stupid analogy. are you regularly buying Ferrari's and super happy when the price suddenly jumps up 15%?

15% is not much for an adult. Never forget that.

Its got nothing to do with age or the percentage, its a cash grab because new consoles came out. if you can't see that or are happy to justify it "just because" then crack on.

I can't say I am happy about paying 15% extra (just because) for anything to be honest.

Its not for nothing. Look at the likes of Demon's remake. Its the best remake ever seen in gaming. Look at the latest 9/10 returnal. Its the best game in its class. Soon, Ratchet will be there as well. You think these games would be anywhere near as good if they were sold to us for $60? No, absolutely not. If you believe otherwise, you're simply delusional. Quality costs money, and Sony aims for quality, so its normal to pay more. I wish MS did the same, we wouldn't be having the likes of Crackdown 3 and Halo Infinite.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen  Online

@djoffer123 said:

@hardwenzen: no idea how to respond to that nonsense, but you do you I guess:)

Looks like Sony hasn't opened your eyes yet. They opened mines, and i couldn't be happier.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@hardwenzen: you can’t compare buying a Ferrari to paying $70 for a game. After you play with he game once it’s just gonna sit on a shelf and collect dust, Sony doesn’t make many multiplayer exclusives so it’s hard for me to justify the $70. Picked up Spider-Man MM and once I’m done with it I’ll probably never play it again. Meanwhile with GP I have plenty of games to play multiplayer or single player: Gears, Control, Red Dead, The Medium, Doom, Gears, Forza, RE Biohazard just to name a few. GP is the reason I mainly use my series x over the ps5. If you buy 3 Sony games in 1 year you gonna spend $210 for 3 games meanwhile with gamepass it’s $180 a year for every MS exclusive and whatever else they put on gampass. Gamepass is more like a Ferrari because when you pay you actually getting value for your money, paying $70 for a new game is like buying a lotto ticket, it may or may not be a winner and sometimes you might not get back what you invested.