Sony ends the official Killzone website - end of franchise?

• 71 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Sony ends the official Killzone website - end of franchise? (55 votes)

Bye bye Killzone 55%
It'll be back some day 45%

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/killzone-website-no-longer-available-thanks-players-for-their-support/1100-6486081/

Killzone developer Guerrilla Games had a smash hit with 2017's Horizon: Zero Dawn, and the sequel Horizon: Forbidden West is set to release later this year. However, it appears the Killzone franchise may have been a casualty of this success. The official Killzone website is no longer available, instead directing players to visit the main PlayStation site in its place.

As spotted by VGC, the official Killzone site now only shows a notice page letting visitors know it has been "retired" and that it will soon forward them to PlayStation.com instead. You can no longer create or manage clans in the PS4 launch game Killzone: Shadow Fall, either, though you can still play online multiplayer in the game as normal.

"Thank you to Killzone.com's many fans and visitors throughout the years for their enthusiasm and support," Guerrilla Games said on the site.

The notice does not say the Killzone franchise has ended, though we've heard little on the franchise since Shadow Fall released in 2013. That game ended on a cliffhanger with the ISA and Helghast armies seeing renewed conflict after a period of Cold-War-like silence. A Vita game developed by the defunct Guerrilla Cambridge, Killzone Mercenary, was also well-received for its bite-sized campaign missions and engaging online multiplayer. It was one of the only successful first-person shooters on the Vita, with Resistance: Burning Skies receiving a much more negative reception.

Though it would certainly make sense for Guerrilla to focus all its attention on Horizon going forward, it does leave the PS5 without a big exclusive first-person shooter. The Resistance series has also been on ice since the early days of the Vita, with Insomniac Games now focused on Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank. However, it's now a first-party Sony studio, so anything is possible.

RIP Killzone franchise. I hope you come back some day. Killzone 2 is still one of the best FPS games. Also, shout out to Killzone Mercenary for being one of the few interesting portable FPS games I played on the Vita. Dare I say, trailblazer? 😮

No Caption Provided

What say you, SW? Will Killzone franchise be back some day? Was it a respectable FPS in your eyes?

• 
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36089 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Lems used to love trashing Killzone and Resistance. That was back when Halo was in its prime. Now all that is left is..

Killzone's enemies look way more terrifying.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4359 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:
@vfighter said:

@jaydan: Killzone 1 was a decent game that needed more development time, Killzone 2 was one of the best fps that gen. It's not a Sony exclusive thing, they were just good games (minus Shadow fall, that was rushed trash).

FPS's must have gone to shit from that era, then.

Oh I remember the endless Killzone 2 threads back in the day. They were almost entirely graphics threads, because there was nothing else going for the game.

Lems used to love trashing Killzone and Resistance. That was back when Halo was in its prime. Now all that is left is..

People still talk about Bioshock yet no one talks about Killzone 2, if it weren't for a thread like this.

You're just proving my point that all Playstation fannies care about are graphics. I know, the graphical superiority of Crysis challenged you guys back in the day.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#53 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3550 Posts

I never cared for the franchise myself so I'm okay if it goes away. I'd rather guerrilla make other games, they can clearly do better than killzone.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 20233 Posts

Haven't been into Halo in a loooooong time. But even Halo at it's worst, would still take over Killzone lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 29349 Posts
@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:
@vfighter said:

@jaydan: Killzone 1 was a decent game that needed more development time, Killzone 2 was one of the best fps that gen. It's not a Sony exclusive thing, they were just good games (minus Shadow fall, that was rushed trash).

Oh I remember the endless Killzone 2 threads back in the day. They were almost entirely graphics threads, because there was nothing else going for the game.

People still talk about Bioshock yet no one talks about Killzone 2, if it weren't for a thread like this.

You're just proving my point that all Playstation fannies care about are graphics. I know, the graphical superiority of Crysis challenged you guys back in the day.

It had a hardcore following. It wasn't for everyone that's for sure. It was well received by critics and fans, so you can keep making up the narrative all you want. It really doesn't matter lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SolidGame_basic  Online

"Buy this game" - Kevin Van Ord 😄

Loading Video...

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jaydan

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:

It had a hardcore following. It wasn't for everyone that's for sure. It was well received by critics and fans, so you can keep making up the narrative all you want. It really doesn't matter lol.

I played a lot of Killzone 2 back in the day; I was suckered into the graphics hype.

No one talks about these games anymore. There is no "hardcore" following for the series these days, and the "hardcore" following back then was for the wrong reasons. If it stands true the Killzone franchise had a "hardcore" following then they'd still be making games.

At the end of the day graphics only get you so far, and at the end of the month you're left with no lasting impressions.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 33549 Posts

While I certainly enjoyed Killzone 2 and 3 I definitely preferred any of the Halo games over them.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SolidGame_basic  Online

@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:

I played a lot of Killzone 2 back in the day; I was suckered into the graphics hype.

No one talks about these games anymore. There is no "hardcore" following for the series these days, and the "hardcore" following back then was for the wrong reasons. If it stands true the Killzone franchise had a "hardcore" following then they'd still be making games.

At the end of the day graphics only get you so far, and at the end of the month you're left with no lasting impressions.

Not necessarily true. Sony doesn't always beat their franchises to death like Xbox and Nintendo do. Uncharted was hugely popular and they still decided to conclude Drake's story.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jaydan

@SolidGame_basic: That's because the Uncharted series actually had a character arc and an actual story. Story-driven games tend to lead to finality.

That's not the case for Killzone. There is no story or sense of identity to the series. Nothing a player can really latch onto other than pretending it's the "Crysis killer."

I sure remember those desperate days.

Killzone as a series would continue on if there's actually a bigger fanbase to it that actually supports it.

But no. Killzone has always fallen under the trap of "inferior game to better FPS's."

When Killzone 2 came out during a gen when Crysis and Bioshock came out - it had no impact compared to those two. Killzone is really just a try-hard series that fails to carve its own lasting corner in the FPS genre.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SolidGame_basic  Online

@jaydan said:

@SolidGame_basic: That's because the Uncharted series actually had a character arc and an actual story. Story-driven games tend to lead to finality.

That's not the case for Killzone. There is no story or sense of identity to the series. Nothing a player can really latch onto other than pretending it's the "Crysis killer."

I sure remember those desperate days.

Killzone as a series would continue on if there's actually a bigger fanbase to it that actually supports it.

But no. Killzone has always fallen under the trap of "inferior game to better FPS's."

When Killzone 2 came out during a gen when Crysis and Bioshock came out - it had no impact compared to those two. Killzone is really just a try-hard series that fails to carve its own lasting corner in the FPS genre.

Are you just talking about single player? Because I really didn't care that much about single player. Multiplayer was great. Bioshock and Crysis didn't have multiplayer - did they? I'm pretty sure Crysis 2 did, it was alright.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jaydan

@SolidGame_basic: I'm speaking about impact of these games. I technically don't care for the FPS gameplay of Bioshock, but I bring it up as the Bioshock series had a far greater impact that people talk about and fondly remember to this day. Killzone as a series just never had that kind of bite.

A milked series or not, that does not change the mediocrity of the few games that do exist.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SolidGame_basic  Online

@jaydan said:

@SolidGame_basic: I'm speaking about impact of these games. I technically don't care for the FPS gameplay of Bioshock, but I bring it up as the Bioshock series had a far greater impact that people talk about and fondly remember to this day. Killzone as a series just never had that kind of bite.

A milked series or not, that does not excuse the mediocrity of the few games that do exist.

OK. I just care about if I enjoyed the game, and I did. 🙂

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jaydan

@SolidGame_basic: No problem with that. When I call the series mediocre, that does not mean it's the worst thing out there; it's just unremarkable.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jaydan

Also the online for Killzone 2 was kinda a joke.

I played a lot of online and I dominated matches when I treated it like CoD, and I generally suck at FPS games online. Due to the slowness of the game - if you simply run all the time and knife down enemies, they won't even see it coming because the game was too slow to give a fair window to react.

So if you were just the clown online that runs around and giving the knife from behind, you instantly had the leverage in the match because everyone else will be playing the game by its slow, intended pace. Very unbalanced with its own mechanics.

The same inconsistencies can be found in the single player as well. I played the entire game just shanking the enemies. Now I understand to some doing a knife playthrough sounds like a great challenge; but no, not for Killzone 2. Knife playthrough made the game stupid easy.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9846 Posts

@madrocketeer said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

FPS is such a crowded genre. I guess it does make sense to focus on their bread and butter; third person story driven games lol. But I hope we see a reboot some day...

@louixiii said:

It's getting a reboot slated for 2024

😮 see!

I don't think it's so much crowded as dominated by Call of Duty, with the likes of Battlefield and Halo lapping up the rest. In such a stable and solidified market, you need a unique selling point (USP) to stand out. I don't think Killzone has enough of one.

To be frank, open-world games are now the same way; dominated by Assassin's Creed and Rockstar's games. The difference is Horizon has the USP that sets it apart. Not every game you get to fight fire-spewing, elbow-dropping robot grizzly bears with bows and arrows.

Couldn't find a source confirming that reboot.

You won't. Just thank me in 2024

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#67 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 27115 Posts

Hopefully. It sucked.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1617 Posts

I agree with most that killzone was never that great, and that resistance or socom would be better candidates for renewal.

But here's another crazy idea that I wouldn't mind... something new.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 45234 Posts

@jaydan said:

I wouldn't go that far saying Killzone 2's MP was a joke. Back then, it gave Halo 3's MP a run for its money. Halo 3 vs Killzone 2 was on the rage when it came to the MP.

Overall, Killzone series is a hit or a miss, I enjoy Killzone 2, Liberation, & Mercenary. The rest are forgettable...especially Shadow Fall.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@davillain- said:
@jaydan said:

I wouldn't go that far saying Killzone 2's MP was a joke. Back then, it gave Halo 3's MP a run for its money. Halo 3 vs Killzone 2 was on the rage when it came to the MP.

Overall, Killzone series is a hit or a miss, I enjoy Killzone 2, Liberation, & Mercenary. The rest are forgettable...especially Shadow Fall.

Yea I liked Killzone's warzone, that was pretty cool. Has anyone really done that to this day?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71 jcrame10  Online
Member since 2014 • 6290 Posts

FPS is kind of a dying genre. It was overkill during PS3/360.

I would enjoy seeing both Killzone and Resistance come back, although not likely. Horizon, Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank sell way better than either of those IPs ever did.