SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44938 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-exec-reiterates-playstation-believes-in-premium-releases-first-ps-plus-later/

A senior PlayStation executive reiterated Sony’s commitment to releasing its games as premium titles first during a discussion panel this week.

Speaking at GI Live 2022 on Wednesday, PlayStation’s Head of Independent Developer Initiatives Shuhei Yoshida discussed the expansion of the PlayStation Plus service and how the company views adding new titles to the service at launch.

“We believe in the premium release of titles at launch,” Yoshida said, referring to how modern digital games’ life cycles are akin to a film being released in the cinema, and then on streaming services months later.

“The new PS Plus has tiers and essentially it’s like the old PS Plus, we still release two or three new games every month, and a new tier, Extra, has a catalogue of hundreds of games for people to play. For Extra, our approach [is] we like to help the publishers [with] lifecycle management.

“I was managing first-party [at PlayStation] so I know that it’s like in the movies — a movie comes out at the theatre first, then goes to pay per view, or a subscription service, or free TV, every time generating new revenue and reaching out to a broader audience.

“In the same kind of way, we believe in the premium release of a title at launch and after maybe six months, or three months, or three years, when the game’s sales come down, inclusion into this service, PS Plus Extra, can help introduce these games to new, broader audiences.”

He added: “Some people might have missed these games when they came out and it’s a great chance to play and generate word-of-mouth or if there’s DLC or a sequel going, we can help elevate interest to a broader audience about the franchise. So we are encouraging publishers to make use of these services in managing the lifecycle of each title.”

Later in the talk, Yoshida stated that subscription services were still “kind of experimental for [Sony] at this point,” but said that Stray, which released day-one on PS Plus Extra, was an example of a title that found success by adopting a day-and-date subscription release.

While Sony’s first-party titles don’t come to PS Plus on day one, notable indie titles have found success doing so, a trend which stretches back throughout the life of the service, which saw games like Rocket League and Fall Guys launch on the platform.

Looks like Sony is committed to selling their first party games before putting them on subscription. That seems to be the most economical approach. Don’t you agree, SW? Launch a game, get the most sales that you can, then put it on subscription for those that haven’t played it yet.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

I have a simple question. How does that benefit gamers?🤔

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:

It helps both developers and gamers actually. Developers will make the most sales they can, and then eventually put the game on the subscription. So those who pay for the service will then have a chance to play those games that they otherwise may not have played.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

Sony comparing their games to movies seems strangely appropriate. 😅

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

@Pedro:

Simpler question; what about this is bad for gaming/gamers?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

It helps both developers and gamers actually. Developers will make the most sales they can, and then eventually put the game on the subscription. So those who pay for the service will then have a chance to play those games that they otherwise may not have played.

So, it doesn't benefit gamers just Sony. BTW, Sony makes money from every game that is sold on their platform.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro
@kejigoto said:

@Pedro:

Simpler question; what about this is bad for gaming/gamers?

Reduced value of the subscription service.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1139 Posts

If I were a business owner, Sony's model makes sense. People seem to forget that Sony is a business first and foremost. As for PS+ tiers, I still cannot for the life of me know which tier is what. Lol.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

to be honest, I agree with that kind of approach, it makes more sense financially speaking and gamepass is great even without its day one for its big hitters

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@mycatismilk: "As for PS+ tiers, I still cannot for the life of me know which tier is what."

PS+ Essential= The same thing before the revamp service.

PS+ Extra= Adds more games that already includes a big library to play.

PS+ Premium= PS+ and PS Now combined.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9774 Posts

@PSP107: Still totally confusing. What was ps+ before the revamp? Psnow? Premium is only ps+ with psnow?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12792 Posts

Only having to wait months isn’t too bad. It’s better than what they do now. Looks like they are getting closer to day one releases.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Sony comparing their games to movies seems strangely appropriate. 😅

And yet, some of the shills will still be in denial that they are movie games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371

@jaydan: Hard to refute the proof when it comes directly from the horse’s mouth. 😅

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

So the takeaway from this is... Sony admits they make movie games? :-S

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@jaydan: Hard to refute the proof when it comes directly from the horse’s mouth. 😅

Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@jaydan: According to the ad, their games being confused as movies is "not an issue".😂

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371

@jaydan: 🤣🤣🤣

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

They also believe in generations

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 654 Posts

@Pedro: We have seen with Disney+ that they fill subscription services with content regardless of quality.

She-Hulk, Attorney at Law is the nadir of their content - an absolute abortion of a product - which ticks no boxes for quality.

We have already seen the low quality of PS Plus (lowest tier) and Games With Gold as they have to release so many games per month and Netflix and Disney are scraping the bottom of the barrel content wise.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 7982 Posts

I still view this as them slowly leading the fanboys to water just like they did with PC releases.. Day One releases are a clear value incentive to bring gamers to your service.. until then, PS Now+ will continue to be an afterthought within the PlayStation ecosystem while Game Pass is at the forefront of the Xbox ecosystem..

it's just that simple..

There is still no clear reason for anyone to subscribe to PS+ beyond the base tier.. particularly any longtime PlayStation fan who's already bought/played those 1st party titles on day one..

as it stands, the traditional console business still works best for Sony while Xbox is going in a different direction.. so Sony is just continuing to do what works best for them.. if/when they decide to switch gears and actually want people to sub to PS Now+, they'll announce day/date releases into the service.. they just aren't there yet..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro: We have seen with Disney+ that they fill subscription services with content regardless of quality.

She-Hulk, Attorney at Law is the nadir of their content - an absolute abortion of a product - which ticks no boxes for quality.

We have already seen the low quality of PS Plus (lowest tier) and Games With Gold as they have to release so many games per month and Netflix and Disney are scraping the bottom of the barrel content wise.

I am guessing your argument is that subscription services only breed garbage or am I missing something?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

>Compares games to movies

Yep, that sounds like Sony.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 654 Posts

@Pedro: Not entirely. But both of them are having more misses than hits now and that is the danger of having to continually come up with new content. There are a lot of meh games released every month.

We have seen that with the Assassin's Creed series as well. Their annual games gave diminishing returns.

There will be good day ones but will there be enough to make it worthwhile?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro: Not entirely. But both of them are having more misses than hits now and that is the danger of having to continually come up with new content. There are a lot of meh games released every month.

We have seen that with the Assassin's Creed series as well. Their annual games gave diminishing returns.

There will be good day ones but will there be enough to make it worthwhile?

They (more specifically Microsoft) would need to figure out a viable strategy for supplying games that are cost-effective and good. We will see how this all pans out in the coming years.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

I don't want these services, I will try to get physical games whenever possible.

Then don't use them. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2244 Posts

First of all, the comparison to movies doesn’t really makes sense anymore does it? Currently two of the biggest blockbusters companies ( Warnerbrothers and Disney) is releasing all of their movies to their streaming services within a few months( 45 days in the case of WB). So Sony releasing their AAA games a few years later is in no way comparable imo.

And yeah as long as they don’t do that, their service is bound to fail… personally their is no way in hell, that I’ll subscribe to more than the base one( with the free games every month) with its current setup and doubt I am alone in this. The value just isn’t there atm, and doubt it will be if Sony continues down this path

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

People like to make fun of the movie comparison but, it's the best way to look at it when these gaming subscriptions are similar to Netflix, Disney+ etc.

----

A perfect example is Top Gun Maverick; it wouldn't have made $1.5B if it were direct to Paramount Plus. Disney, for instance, implements delayed releases on Disney+ because they still make 100s of millions of dollars at the box office while attracting more customers to Disney+ once it releases on the service. Heck, Netflix is thinking about releasing their movies in theaters for the exact same reason.

In terms of gaming ... why on Earth would someone like Take Two release GTA6 day one on *any service*?

or EA w/ FIFA? or Ubisoft w/ Assassin's Creed? or PlayStation w/ God of War? or Capcom w/ Resident Evil?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38111 Posts

Makes sense. If everything was available on the sub service on day one, the quality of games would suffer, and there's no better example than GP. I mean, just look what was done to their flagship title. The campaign looks and feels so cheap. Its as if no effort was put into it and their budget was lower than two Halo 3 levels. Its pathetic, actually.

Sony understands, and we, Sony fans, we understand them.

This is why we're getting Ragnarok, while Microsoft has absolutely nothing. But keep pretending like your cheap indie pass is what makes your system relevant.😁

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Sony doubles down on milking cows

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen: I’m disappointed with how Microsoft handled Halo Infinite. You think they rushed it because of GamePass?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hardwenzen
@SolidGame_basic said:

@hardwenzen: I’m disappointed with how Microsoft handled Halo Infinite. You think they rushed it because of GamePass?

They rushed the game, didn't hire any talent to build the actual thing, and because they knew that it would be available for $1 on pc's GP, why invest a lot of money into something this cheap? Halo Infinite is the Dollar Store game of gaming. Don't expect quality for $1.

On the other hand, we have Ragnarok. MAXIMUM effort and resources for a game that will be remembered for the decades to come.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

They rushed the game, didn't hire any talent to build the actual thing, and because they knew that it would be available for $1 on pc's GP, why invest a lot of money into something this cheap? Halo Infinite is the Dollar Store game of gaming. Don't expect quality for $1.

On the other hand, we have Ragnarok. MAXIMUM effort and resources for a game that will be remembered for the decades to come.

I have my preorder for Ragnarok locked in and ready to go!! Day 1!!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:

No. In fact, Game Pass has shown that it's contributed to higher quality titles on Xbox. Now you know why the Halo Infinite campaign was so well received and got a 9/10.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

No. In fact, Game Pass has shown that it's contributed to higher quality titles on Xbox. Now you know why the Halo Infinite campaign was so well received and got a 9/10.

One biome. Open world game with one biome.

Who does that?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371

You’re not going to keep current subscribers and continuing to get more if you don’t put quality product that people enjoy on a service.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Antwan3K

Microsoft definitely failed this year in terms of first-party, no doubt.. 2022 is the reason why we have this narrative that sub services like Game Pass diminish quality (which is entirely unfounded)..

But what's going to be the excuse when titles like RedFall from Arkane and Starfield from Bethesda drop day one in Game Pass?.. How about when the next Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout drop in Game Pass day one?.. In 2023 and beyond, we are looking at a steady cadence of AAA games coming to Game Pass on day one so this narrative has a defiinitve shelf-life..

Detractors can definitely enjoy the rest of this year but we'll see how the goal post gets moved soon enough..

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3414 Posts

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

So, it doesn't benefit gamers just Sony. BTW, Sony makes money from every game that is sold on their platform.

Yes it does benefit gamers. It's the difference from big budget games being TLOU2 and being Halo Infinite. Do you need further explanation or you good 🤔

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Who does that?

I always forget how many hours you have into the campaign. Can I get a refresher?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KvallyX
@Sagemode87 said:
@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yes it does benefit gamers. It's the difference from big budget games being TLOU2 and being Halo Infinite. Do you need further explanation or you good 🤔

The big budget Halo Infinite is better than TLOU2. Any updates on when ND will finish TLOU2 btw? It's been few years.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Who does that?

I always forget how many hours you have into the campaign. Can I get a refresher?

This is you in every thread i mention Halo Infinite.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sagemode87
@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Scores mean EVERYTHING apparently. How's that working for the life of the game? I wouldn't go around gloating about Destruction All Stars with the current state its in even if it scored well. Keep the delusion, pray for the acquisition to go through, and stay mad.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Antwan3K

@Sagemode87: TLOU2 could easily be released on PS Now+ to entice gamers to subscribe to the service..

Whether or not Sony chooses to do that is up to them but absolutely NOTHING about the quality of the end-product would change if the game is launched on PS+ day one or if it's released 3 months later..

That false narrative is false..

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sagemode87
@Antwan3K said:

@Sagemode87: TLOU2 could easily be released on PS Now+ to entice gamers to subscribe to the service..

Whether or not Sony chooses to do that is up tp them but absolutely NOTHING about the quality of the end-product would change if the game is launched on PS+ day one or if it's released 3 months later

TLOU2 being put on PS Plus now would be ideal, not at launch though. I hope you see the difference. If I directed a movie, it would be more beneficial to let the film make its money at the box office rather than streaming services day one. It would give me the best chance to make a good sequel with the profits. Most HBO Max films bombed last year in theaters because most people streamed.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

@Pedro said:

Simple answer: it means high budget games are given a chance to recoup their cost then become profitable. This promotes future development. Pretty much opposite to halo infinite. $500 mill down the drain.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Antwan3K

@Sagemode87: more beneficial?.. If you actually want people to subscribe to your service, you put compelling content on the service, day one..

This simple logic is why PS Now was a failure and PS Now+ is still a directionless joke..

Monthly sub money is a proven strategy.. These companies are making tons of money on monthly subs so let's not pretend like that's not the end-game for growing a sub business..

PS Now is a failure because of exactly the logic you've proposed.. So doubling down on it is a pretty decent excuse until Sony eventually and inevitably goes Day One before Game Pass gets too big for them to catch before the market shifts towards hardware independency..

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidGame_basic

@randy_lahey said:
@Pedro said:

Simple answer: it means high budget games are given a chance to recoup their cost then become profitable. This promotes future development. Pretty much opposite to halo infinite. $500 mill down the drain.

yup, simple indeed

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Antwan3K

@randy_lahey: do the math..

Assuming $10~15 per Game Pass sub and at 25 million subs, that's $250~375 million per year in revenue.. Consistently, regardless of what launches.. And this is in ADDITION to the per unit sales they still get when these games still top the sales charts during launch months..

How about when they have 50 million subs? .. 100 million? ..

Bottomline, there's a reason multi-billion and multi-trillion dollar companies aren't run by internet forum contributors..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen

500 millions down the drain indeed. What a tragedy.