Sony dominates console market with 57% share worldwide

• 116 results
#1 Edited by AtariKidX (6994 posts) -

Sony dominates console market

"Sony dominated the game console hardware, software, and service market in 2016, capturing a total of 57 percent share, or $19.7 billion of spending by gamers, according to market researcher IHS Markit."

Well the ps4 is the best console available for gaming and the playstation console has dominated every console generation since the ps1. The ps3 faltered but still was very successful even at a higher retail price. Every generation playstation garners the most exclusive games, highest rated exclusive games and offers the widest variety of games but even though this has been ongoing for over 20 years people expect things to easily change.

They are producing magnificent new games like Horizon: Zero Dawn that really exceed expectations while delivering a bunch of third party exclusives. The line-ups with the PS4 only get better each and every year so they deserve to be dominating.

Playstation is the master of games.

#2 Edited by ConanTheStoner (17309 posts) -

PS4 am dominatrix. SDC, thank you Kazony.

@AtariKidX said:

Every generation playstation garners the highest rated exclusive games

Dem receipts bro. I don't keep up with scores, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
#3 Posted by ScrollingLayers (632 posts) -

PS5 coming in 2019 or 2020 (probably 2020).

#4 Edited by QuadKnight (8481 posts) -

😎 We are all humbled, SDC sustained.

#5 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

Thank you Sony!

#6 Posted by QuadKnight (8481 posts) -

@scrollinglayers said:

PS5 coming in 2019 or 2020 (probably 2020).

Most likely.

#7 Posted by Primorandomguy (3368 posts) -

Surprised to see the 360 still doing so well.

#8 Posted by DaVillain- (26878 posts) -

@kvally said:

Thank you Sony!

#9 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

2 ez m8. 2 ez

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#10 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11108 posts) -

No surprise there.

#11 Posted by BIOKILLER123 (862 posts) -

Not suprised. Out of all three companies Sony has made the fewest mistakes imo.

#12 Posted by xhawk27 (10074 posts) -

Fix your controllers though. 3.5 hours is not good.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#13 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11108 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

You can charge it with a usb cable and keep playing.

#14 Edited by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

Well deserved.

#15 Posted by MonsieurX (36894 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

And people complained about Switch battery life

#doublestandards

#16 Posted by xhawk27 (10074 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@xhawk27 said:

You can charge it with a usb cable and keep playing.

Yeah but it's annoying to do that. It should get at least eight - ten hours on a full charge. I have set it to the lowest light too.

#17 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5377 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Not sure where you get this from. My dualshock 4s last ~7 hours. And I've still got the original controllers from when I bought the system.

#18 Posted by SOedipus (10331 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:
@xhawk27 said:

Not sure where you get this from. My dualshock 4s last ~7 hours. And I've still got the original controllers from when I bought the system.

Yeah, mine too IF headphones aren't plugged in the controller.

#19 Edited by Shewgenja (19122 posts) -

As long as they keep those games comin' so shall it be.

#20 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6607 posts) -

No shit. Who else would it be?

@charizard1605 said:

Well deserved.

No it isn't

#21 Posted by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

Don't count eggs to early Sony, the Scorpio will take 1% of that back over next 5 years.

#22 Edited by enzyme36 (3089 posts) -

They bring the ruckus... that's for sure.

#23 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14819 posts) -

@primorandomguy said:

Surprised to see the 360 still doing so well.

Yeah amazing to see the old girl still hanging in there...

#24 Posted by Makemefamous07 (1025 posts) -

NPD sales are in and Halo wars 2 did NOT make NPD for North america LOL. Xbox is DEAD. In consoles & in software. NIOH however did make NPD Wooo

#25 Edited by BobRossPerm (2886 posts) -

So by 1st January 2017, PS4 sold 53.4 million units and had 57% marketshare. We know this for a fact since Sony said so. We also know that the WiiU sold 13.5 million units by the 1st January. I don't know the math to work this out but couldn't you determine the Xbox Ones sales by these factors?

edit: I thought it said sales market share. My bad.

edit again: Turns out it did, 27.6 million Xbox ones.

#26 Posted by Planeforger (17350 posts) -

What percentage of the market did the PS2 own? What about the Wii?

#27 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17309 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

No shit. Who else would it be?

@charizard1605 said:

Well deserved.

No it isn't

When you look at what MS and Nintendo offered gamers with the Xbone and WiiU, how is it not? I'm surprised their market share isn't even higher tbh.

I'm not gonna say the PS4 has been some great console for me. It's only just now amassing a respectable library of exclusives. For anyone with a decent PC, it's been useless for most of the gen. But for console only gamers it's been an excellent primary machine. Best hardware for the best price, best versions of multiplats, and a much more robust exclusive library than its direct competitor.

Can't knock Sony for the PC being such a dominant platform, they really put out a good console with great support.

#28 Posted by foxhound_fox (96814 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

What percentage of the market did the PS2 own? What about the Wii?

PS2 was nearly 78%. Wii was 38.25%.

Ironically, Sony still hasn't been able to release "total units sold" numbers for the PS3. It still lists "shipped" only on Wikipedia.

#29 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6607 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: I'm refering to Sony's BS this gen.

Payed MP with less AAA ps+ games, psn is still shit, no EAccess, no mods for Skyrim/Fallout, closing studios, no more new indie IPs, no native or emulated PS1-2 games, no BC.

They still do more than MS and Nintendo, but they're offering shit for their playerbase.

Those "games" are titles that Sony simply paid for makreting in exchange for console/timed exclusivity. Nioh is getting called an exclusive even though it's obviously coming to PC. And let's not forget all those "exclusives" that get pc versions announced a few months latter.

#30 Edited by ConanTheStoner (17309 posts) -

@deadline-zero0:

Ok, I can agree to all that. Just saying at the end of the day, for the end user, PS4 is the clear choice for most and for good reason. Personally I got more use out of the WiiU, but I can understand why PS4 is killing it in the console space. I'm not saying they're good-guy-Sony or anything like that lol.

@deadline-zero0 said:

Nioh is getting called an exclusive even though it's obviously coming to PC.

Citation needed. I'd love for this to be true.

#31 Edited by KBFloYd (18942 posts) -

that's not hard to do when there is only 3 companies in all of gaming....

as soon as one company fails one of the other two will get double the share.

#32 Posted by xantufrog (8191 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:
@xhawk27 said:

mine too

#33 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6607 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: I already talked about this alot before, so i'll give you the quick version.

MS, Nintendo and Sony have all published games for the xbone, wii u and ps4 that they do not own the IP to, like Nioh. ALL of them have ended up on another platform, mainly PC, after some time.

In fact, Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, a Team Ninja game, owned by KT, was published WW by Nintendo and by KT in Japan. Was latter ported to ps360 5 months latter. Sound familiar?

The only game to not follow this is Bayonetta 2, of which Nintendo has exclusive publishing rights. Ense why it's published by them everywhere, unlike those other games.

TL,DR: Console manufacturers publishing games never grants exclusivity. Otherwise, they'd have bought the IP, or exclusive publishing rights.

#34 Posted by Juub1990 (6758 posts) -

@AtariKidX said:

Every generation playstation garners the most exclusive games, highest rated exclusive games and offers the widest variety of games

Pretty sure this literally never happened.

#35 Posted by svaubel (3913 posts) -

Grats to Sony I suppose.

Too bad my PS4 only gets about 1% of my gaming time though between PC, Xbone, Switch, 3DS...

#36 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (7655 posts) -

@deadline-zero0: that's not a citation; that's hand waving. Nioh is a ps4 exclusive.

#37 Posted by R4gn4r0k (27144 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

PS4 am dominatrix. SDC, thank you Kazony.

@AtariKidX said:

Every generation playstation garners the highest rated exclusive games

Dem receipts bro. I don't keep up with scores, but I'm not sure if this is true.

If that old spread sheet is anything to go by, PC racks up more high rating exclusives on a regular basis than any console.

#38 Posted by Desmonic (19931 posts) -

To everyone that says "vidya gmez r n0t srz budniz!", 57% of last year's spending == "$19.7 billion of spending by gamers".

Sweet Jebus.

#39 Posted by BobRossPerm (2886 posts) -
@deadline-zero0 said:

@ConanTheStoner: I already talked about this alot before, so i'll give you the quick version.

MS, Nintendo and Sony have all published games for the xbone, wii u and ps4 that they do not own the IP to, like Nioh. ALL of them have ended up on another platform, mainly PC, after some time.

In fact, Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, a Team Ninja game, owned by KT, was published WW by Nintendo and by KT in Japan. Was latter ported to ps360 5 months latter. Sound familiar?

The only game to not follow this is Bayonetta 2, of which Nintendo has exclusive publishing rights. Ense why it's published by them everywhere, unlike those other games.

TL,DR: Console manufacturers publishing games never grants exclusivity. Otherwise, they'd have bought the IP, or exclusive publishing rights.

That's just you assuming shit.

#40 Posted by Heil68 (57859 posts) -

SDC is real, tangible and is accepted by the press and businesses everywhere.

We celebrate SDC and its impact on the gaming industry,

#41 Edited by kvally (8445 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

This. Even with the DS4 that comes with the PS Pro, the battery life is horrid. Not sure why a hardware company can't even match the competitor battery life which is like 5 times longer. Just plug in a USB? LOL....the 80's called, they want their wired controllers back. **** that.

#42 Posted by lrdfancypants (3850 posts) -

They should celebrate this momentous occasion by letting us all choose one free game.

#43 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

@lrdfancypants said:

They should celebrate this momentous occasion by letting us all choose one free game.

I would pick Haze: The Definitive Ultimate Edition

#44 Edited by zeeshanhaider (5524 posts) -

@bobrossperm said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

That's just you assuming shit.

On Topic, great to see console gaming dying.

#45 Posted by tormentos (26637 posts) -

@zeeshanhaider said:

19 billions and its dying...hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What a butthurt lemming your act is getting old.

#46 Posted by Zaryia (2777 posts) -

and PC dominates the PS4 market. Second place lol.

#47 Posted by ProtossRushX (3893 posts) -

Sony won

#48 Edited by zeeshanhaider (5524 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

19 billions and its dying...hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What a butthurt lemming your act is getting old.

Yes, it's! In the latest news after MS Sony also started testing waters of games as a service and started putting their non-games on PC. Not to mention consoles are nowhere near sells as much as they used to during gen 7.

Now only Nintendo is left and console gaming can finally be dead. Wooooooooooooooooooooooo! Can't wait to see the world free of Sony drones.

#49 Edited by navyguy21 (14730 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:
@xhawk27 said:

lol, thats still bad!

I get about 6-7 depending on what im doing, but that is terrible for a home controller.

At the very least we should be able to switch battery packs or add batteries.

Having to constantly charge the controller after every use or play while plugged is annoying.

Not to mention that neither XB1 or PS4 controllers were designed to play while plugged in. That tiny micro usb port gets damaged really easily.

#50 Posted by tormentos (26637 posts) -

@zeeshanhaider said:

Yes, it's! In the latest news after MS Sony also started testing waters of games as a service and started putting their non-games on PC. Not to mention consoles are nowhere near sells as much as they used to during gen 7.

Now only Nintendo is left and console gaming can finally be dead. Wooooooooooooooooooooooo! Can't wait to see the world free of Sony drones.

19 BILLIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSS...

IN 1 YEARRRRR....

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa but but but consoles are dying...lol

Nintendo going out of the hardware business mean shit moron,since the console market started many have gone out,Atari and Sega being 2 of the biggest,that is what happen when you say shit without thinking first..lol

If the market was dead because 1 big console maker left it would have die years ago,Atari left in the mid 90's..lol