Sony closing 20 stores in US: Restructuring

  • 102 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#51 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

needed to do this long time ago. i think kaz is making good moves, he needs to trim the fat from the company and focus on stuff that makes them money. and to lems that think playstation is in trouble i will say this, playstation is probably the only branch that make them money. they will kill everything else before they let go of playstation, best believe that

Avatar image for lazerface216
#52 Posted by lazerface216 (7564 posts) -

retail electronic stores are going the way of the dinosaur, so this is not surprising. sad to see people lose their jobs though.

Avatar image for Scipio8
#53 Posted by Scipio8 (927 posts) -

So Microsoft are opening stores while Sony are closing them, its only inevitable.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
#54 Posted by XenogearsMaster (3174 posts) -

I've been to a few Sony stores and they are usually located in a big mall and seriously, it's like a ghost town in there. No one is there, and the people who are in there are just browsing. The Apple store, however, is always packed which is kind of ridiculous. Sorry to say but Sony should just eliminate all of them.

Avatar image for Szminsky
#55 Edited by Szminsky (1471 posts) -

I feel really bad for the people losing their jobs. Not good at all.

Avatar image for dobzilian
#56 Edited by dobzilian (3365 posts) -

How many pies do Sony now have pies in? Movies, music, Games....

Is their gaming department really successful or is it figment of Cows imagination? Curious rather than being Fanboyish.

Avatar image for tubbyc
#57 Posted by tubbyc (3909 posts) -
@XenogearsMaster said:

I've been to a few Sony stores and they are usually located in a big mall and seriously, it's like a ghost town in there. No one is there, and the people who are in there are just browsing. The Apple store, however, is always packed which is kind of ridiculous. Sorry to say but Sony should just eliminate all of them.

I went into an empty Sony store once to get a pair of their 3D glasses. They were way more expensive than I could get off ebay, brand new. I mentioned it to the staff once I found out the price at the counter, and walked out. Felt a bit bad, but oh well, it would have been silly to pay a lot more when I didn't need to.

Sony are doing what they feel they need to. At least the PS4 looks like it will be very profitable.

Avatar image for Animal-Mother
#58 Posted by Animal-Mother (27353 posts) -

@dobzilian said:

How many pies do Sony now have pies in? Movies, music, Games....

Is their gaming department really successful or is it figment of Cows imagination? Curious rather than being Fanboyish.

Well it's been stated the gaming division has made a profit primarily due to the PS4. Only time will tell if it keeps going./

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#59 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9845 posts) -

I've personally only seen 1 Sony store and 1 Microsoft store. I really really don't see why a company like Sony even needs it's own store. You don't see companies like LG or Samsung sprouting store.

Avatar image for lhughey
#60 Posted by lhughey (4543 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@dobzilian said:

How many pies do Sony now have pies in? Movies, music, Games....

Is their gaming department really successful or is it figment of Cows imagination? Curious rather than being Fanboyish.

Well it's been stated the gaming division has made a profit primarily due to the PS4. Only time will tell if it keeps going./

I doubt the PS4 has made any money. R&D costs are huge for a new console. If their gaming division has made money, its because of the PS3.

Avatar image for Animal-Mother
#61 Posted by Animal-Mother (27353 posts) -

@lhughey said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@dobzilian said:

How many pies do Sony now have pies in? Movies, music, Games....

Is their gaming department really successful or is it figment of Cows imagination? Curious rather than being Fanboyish.

Well it's been stated the gaming division has made a profit primarily due to the PS4. Only time will tell if it keeps going./

I doubt the PS4 has made any money. R&D costs are huge for a new console. If their gaming division has made money, its because of the PS3.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/210159/PS4_launch_helps_Sonys_PlayStation_business_swing_to_profits.php

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/strong-ps4-sales-boost-sony-game-division-profit .....

Avatar image for Riverwolf007
#62 Edited by Riverwolf007 (26023 posts) -

wait.

that was a sony store i was in?

i thought it was a cobwebs and dust factory outlet.

Avatar image for Bishop1310
#63 Posted by Bishop1310 (1274 posts) -

What resolution are the stores closing at? most important.

Avatar image for sailor232
#64 Edited by sailor232 (6763 posts) -

I love the Sony store that is close to me, the people working there are so good. I bought a pair of 3d glasses half price because they didn't have the cheaper ones in store. Always some impressive tech in that store as well.

Avatar image for resevl4rlz
#65 Posted by resevl4rlz (3735 posts) -

Sony stores are way over priced, and run by arabic people

Avatar image for Suppaman100
#66 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

LOL, look at all of these lemmings coming out of the woodwork.

These are necessary steps to make the company healthy again.

Avatar image for sts106mat
#67 Edited by sts106mat (24175 posts) -

Meanwhile over in Conneticut

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/25/join-me-in-connecticut-to-open-the-new-microsoft-store/

Avatar image for airshocker
#68 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

Good news.

Avatar image for FoxbatAlpha
#69 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Next up. Sony to close headquarters.

Avatar image for millerlight89
#70 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

We get it Foxbat, you're a fanboy. You love MS, hate Sony. You don't have to keep making lame jokes to prove it.

Avatar image for heretrix
#71 Posted by heretrix (37792 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

I absolutely do not like seeing people lose their jobs, but is it really necessary for a company like Sony to even have a brick and mortar presence anywhere to sell their products?

It's always good to have a physical presence to showcase your products. even though I didn't buy my Bravia from the Sony store it was pretty cool going there to see what it actually looked like in a living room.

Avatar image for Rage010101
#72 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

This honestly does sound like a company that is slowly going out of business.

Avatar image for Rage010101
#73 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Closing stores, closing studios, selling off branches/departments, cancelling games, laying off over 6000 people including Santa Monica devs, selling real estate. Sounds like a sinking ship man.

Avatar image for hoyalawya
#76 Posted by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

I live in Northern Virginia and have been to the Tysons Mall hundreds of times. I stepped into the Sony store there less than 5 times and never bought anything. The prices in the store were too high. The same things could be bought at Best Buy for a lot cheaper. The store was only as an exhibition to tell the Sony story.

Avatar image for edwardecl
#77 Posted by edwardecl (2240 posts) -

I never understood the point of a Sony shop, people usually want to compare stuff, how can you do that when only one brand is sold.

Avatar image for kuu2
#78 Posted by kuu2 (10327 posts) -

@l34052 said:

@kuu2 said:

I actually like the classes that MSoft offers at their stores and they will help trouble shoot PCs and tablets even if you didn't buy them there. Plus if you do buy a large electronic device from there they have some of the most affordable warranties around. It is a direct ripoff from Apple but I like having one in my city.

You seem to have a MS dick shoved so far up your ass im surprised u can even still speak. Ive never once heard anything but pro MS/anti Sony bullshit spit from your lips its very tiring putting up with the blind dogmatic shit from fools like yourself.

My advice would be to actually go outside for once and interact with the real world and discover there's more to the world than games consoles.

Sigh.......the anger towards someone telling others what they like about something..............

Brighten up young sir life is to short ;p

Avatar image for Rage010101
#79 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@l34052 said:

@kuu2 said:

I actually like the classes that MSoft offers at their stores and they will help trouble shoot PCs and tablets even if you didn't buy them there. Plus if you do buy a large electronic device from there they have some of the most affordable warranties around. It is a direct ripoff from Apple but I like having one in my city.

You seem to have a MS dick shoved so far up your ass im surprised u can even still speak. Ive never once heard anything but pro MS/anti Sony bullshit spit from your lips its very tiring putting up with the blind dogmatic shit from fools like yourself.

My advice would be to actually go outside for once and interact with the real world and discover there's more to the world than games consoles.

I think you really need to calm dafuk down son. Your butthurt has peaked today.

Avatar image for musicalmac
#80 Posted by musicalmac (24894 posts) -

The only time I saw a Sony store was at a Chicagoland mall, and it was placed next to a Bose company store. I also recall the Sony store closing.

Avatar image for lhughey
#81 Posted by lhughey (4543 posts) -

I hate the fact that people are losing their jobs, but I always felt that the stores where there to showcase their products rather than actually sell them. The prices were outrageous. Ironically, the extremely high price of gear in the store stopped people from even coming into the store. So the failure was twofold: The store wasn't a company showcase and they customer didn't purchase anything.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#82 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30827 posts) -

@Rage010101 said:

This honestly does sound like a company that is slowly going out of business.

The brick and mortar stores are pointless. Other than displaying really fancy and elaborate set ups whats the point? Seems like a good move IMO

Avatar image for EZs
#83 Posted by EZs (1460 posts) -

Oh noooo... Sony is doomed!

Avatar image for dommeus
#84 Posted by dommeus (9433 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@kuu2 said:

There should be a sticky for Sony's bad financial news that will be going all month long up until their fiscal report comes out in April. I don't think we have gone a week without there being some sort of bad financial news for this company.

I just wonder what will happen to the PauperStation brand? They need to stay around so MSoft is kept honest but I really can't think of a company that would want the brand really.

And we don't have a day go by without more terrible news about Xbox.

Making stickies for both of these topics would be for the benefit of the forum, so obviously is isn't going to happen

Avatar image for kuu2
#85 Posted by kuu2 (10327 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Rage010101 said:

This honestly does sound like a company that is slowly going out of business.

The brick and mortar stores are pointless. Other than displaying really fancy and elaborate set ups whats the point? Seems like a good move IMO

The ones that provide superior service will never go away. I will pay more if you give me a reason to. Nordstrom, and Apple are perfect examples of this.

The people in the Sony store rarely knew anything about the products that were there. They typically didn't own any of them i.e. Sony phones, Sony audio equip, or TVs. The one thing they did own was the Playstation which is a commodity purchase which everyone knew about. The stores were really a relic of when Sony was actually innovative.

Avatar image for Rage010101
#86 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Rage010101 said:

This honestly does sound like a company that is slowly going out of business.

The brick and mortar stores are pointless. Other than displaying really fancy and elaborate set ups whats the point? Seems like a good move IMO

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with what they're doing. In fact, I think it's a necessary step to try and recover. I'm just saying these are the phases you see a company go through before they go out of business. Add in all the other bad things that have been happening to Sony recently, it's hard not to think that the company has a doomed fate.

Avatar image for ominous_titan
#87 Edited by ominous_titan (1215 posts) -

So restructuring us cowspeak for failing,gotcha

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#88 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17268 posts) -

Sony stores are located in Outlet malls. You can buy all Sony products, new and refurbished. It isn't anything special unless you really like Sony products as a whole.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
#89 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (1554 posts) -

Sony's going bankrupt in a couple of years.

Same as Xbox division. Leaving only Nintendo (lol Nintendo) in the videogame market. We know how that will work.

Everyone will be gaming on PC by then.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#90 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162194 posts) -

Sony Store? Obviously not a major part of the company since none exist anywhere I've ever been. Business today....the economy sucks.

Avatar image for AM-Gamer
#91 Posted by AM-Gamer (8116 posts) -

@DaBrainz: Sorry but Samsung sucks, Sony tv's repeatedly beat them year after year in picture quality in led vs led. Samsung is great if you want stupid gimmicks and a cheap price.

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#92 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@DaBrainz: Sorry but Samsung sucks, Sony tv's repeatedly beat them year after year in picture quality in led vs led. Samsung is great if you want stupid gimmicks and a cheap price.

I hope you don't really believe the shit you are spewing and are just attempting to troll.

Avatar image for Karnage108
#93 Posted by Karnage108 (2468 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Smart move, but sucks for those working, obviously.

Brick and mortar can suck it!

This, it isn't necessarily a bad move at all. The online market is a more efficient source of income as opposed to the stores they closed where they have overhead to worry about and inventory sitting around. A lot of businesses are doing this...

Avatar image for gago-gago
#95 Edited by gago-gago (12018 posts) -

I've seen Sony stores at outlets while Microsoft and Apple stores are in shopping malls. Microsoft and Apple stores are more consumer friendly while Sony stores seems to be just an Sony branded electronic store. Maybe since they sold the Vaio brand, Sony stores closing is one outcome, a domino effect.

Avatar image for TwistedShade
#96 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Wonder why they're reducing their stores, I could have sworn last year they were planning to expand them.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#97 Posted by TheEroica (17279 posts) -

Ahhhhhh damn! I live an hour from the Wrentham store. :( it's a great store. Their refurbbed headphones are so cheap. I'm sad to see this go. :( I mean I get Iguess... It makes no sense to have the store, but now iit's a "one less store I get to go to while the Ole balls and chain is spending my money shopping" situation.

Avatar image for AM-Gamer
#98 Edited by AM-Gamer (8116 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@DaBrainz: Sorry but Samsung sucks, Sony tv's repeatedly beat them year after year in picture quality in led vs led. Samsung is great if you want stupid gimmicks and a cheap price.

I hope you don't really believe the shit you are spewing and are just attempting to troll.

Try pulling your head out of your ass and doing a little research. Sony has beat Samsung in LED Picture quality for years . And Panasonic has beat Samsung in Plasmas for years. In other words Samsung has never been the best when it comes to TV's in any category. They sell the most because they are able to dominate on the low to mid ranged tv's which is about what 90% of the public buy. But to sit there and stay there shit is better is just plain laughable.

Avatar image for AM-Gamer
#99 Posted by AM-Gamer (8116 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

Meanwhile over in Conneticut

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/25/join-me-in-connecticut-to-open-the-new-microsoft-store/

To bad they got a new CEO that wants to sell that division.

Avatar image for l34052
#100 Posted by l34052 (3761 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@DaBrainz: Sorry but Samsung sucks, Sony tv's repeatedly beat them year after year in picture quality in led vs led. Samsung is great if you want stupid gimmicks and a cheap price.

But then if you were serious about picture quality you'd buy a plasma anyways and sony doesnt make any.