Sony chased away insomniac? Subtle jabs taken

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

In the official 1st look trailer of sunset overdrive, They mention "this is the game we were building up to for 20 years" this led to that comment being called out on NeoGAF with comments trashing their decision. So james stevenson (the community lead) at insomniac replied with

sorry you feel that way, but know we had to partner with the right group that believed in us and the vision of the game, wanted to see that vision came to life, and was ok with us retaining the rights to our creation.

In all of those regards, Microsoft has been a terrific partner in making Sunset Overdrive reality.

Seems like a subtle jab at sony? discuss

Also why does sony force devs to give them rights to any IP they fund when MS doesn't do that? I thought they were for gamers and helped devs create wonderful worlds with great policies?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

It sounded like Sony held them back all these years. Finally Insomniac can make great games thanks to MS and Xbox One.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I don't see any jab towards SONY.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Unfortunately I love ratchet and clank and don't give two shits about sunset overdrive. If they had made a R&C game on the Xbone I might have given a ****.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Wait, so basically Sony wanted to own the IP if it was to be on one of their platforms?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Insomniac sucked last gen and this game actually looks like it has potential.

I don't know how much influence Sony had on their suckage, but it seems like something changed.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By darkangel115

@Heil68 said:

The entire quote is a jab. Its basically like saying yeah i broke up with my ex because i wanted someone who wasn't a lying whore

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@gago-gago said:

It sounded like Sony held them back all these years. Finally Insomniac can make great games thanks to MS and Xbox One.

Just like Rare.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Insomniac own the IP. Sunset Overdrive 2 could be on PS4. Think about that for a second. But who knows.

:]

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts
@misterpmedia said:

Insomniac own the IP. Sunset Overdrive 2 could be on PS4. Think about that for a second. But who knows.

Why 2? Even the first one can be on PS4, it's not like MS is famous for its exclusivity retention ...

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gago-gago

Does Insomniac own the rights to R&C? If so maybe for fun they can make a R&C skins for SO. I mean with all the unique weapons it reminds me of R&C but actually more fun.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

@Heil68 said:

The entire quote is a jab. Its basically like saying yeah i broke up with my ex because i wanted someone who wasn't a lying whore

I will bet you money Insomniac will have games on PS4 though. Can't beat your first and true LOVE. :)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I'm sure this will be as good as their runaway hit, Fuse.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Insomniac sucked last gen and this game actually looks like it has potential.

I don't know how much influence Sony had on their suckage, but it seems like something changed.

y u no like Ratchet and Clank? y u do dis stoner?

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 misterpmedia

@KiZZo1 said:
@misterpmedia said:

Why 2? Even the first one can be on PS4, it's not like MS is famous for its exclusivity retention ...

While that's true I doubt it. Was just pointing out that the sequel could just as well turn up on PS4 if insomniac wished it. It's down to them, unless MS buys the IP off of them...which from that comment... they didn't want to happen.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@gago-gago said:

Sony held them back so much that when Insomniac made FUSE the world exploded with joy and rejoiced over the second coming of video games.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

sony only funds ip they own, insomanic wanted to own the ip, which is understandable, so they left. this game looks a lot like infamous and would appeal to the same crowd so not such a big loss for sony. if sony coughed up the money im sure insomanic could port it, they own the ip

@Animal-Mother said:

@gago-gago said:

Sony held them back so much that when Insomniac made FUSE the world exploded with joy and rejoiced over the second coming of video games.

#owned

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

In the official 1st look trailer of sunset overdrive, They mention "this is the game we were building up to for 20 years" this led to that comment being called out on NeoGAF with comments trashing their decision. So james stevenson (the community lead) at insomniac replied with

sorry you feel that way, but know we had to partner with the right group that believed in us and the vision of the game, wanted to see that vision came to life, and was ok with us retaining the rights to our creation.

In all of those regards, Microsoft has been a terrific partner in making Sunset Overdrive reality.

Also why does sony force devs to give them rights to any IP they fund when MS doesn't do that? I thought they were for gamers and helped devs create wonderful worlds with great policies?

MS doesn't? Who owns Halo? Why wouldn't the company who is FUNDING the projects want rights to said project?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Sunset Overdrive Sigma, 2015. I can see that coming a mile off.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gago-gago

Why are people bringing up Fuse? Sunset Overdrive is exclusive and published by Microsoft. Insomniac was freed and was looking for better partners and EA was the first one to help them out with Fuse. Also I just looked up Fuse on MC and it's at 63 and a 7 here on GameSpot. I'm glad Insomniac left Sony, now their games can be appreciated with a wider range of appreciative gamers.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@gago-gago said:

Just like Rare.

If you look at Kameo, Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts-and-Bolts, one thing you cannot deny is that Microsoft didn't really deny them any freedom. And those games were simply superb. But then again there is a chance that you haven't even played any of them. Which would make you look really stupid.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By misterpmedia

@Animal-Mother said:

@gago-gago said:

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@gago-gago said:

Just like Rare.

If you look at Kameo, Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts-and-Bolts, one thing you cannot deny is that Microsoft didn't really deny them any freedom. And those games were simply superb. But then again there is a chance that you haven't even played any of them. Which would make you look really stupid.

But then we have the post-kinect era, where they were resigned to making absolute garbage.

The point is blaming Sony for their lackluster games is foolhardy at best, especially when you look at the impressive catalog of diverse experiences on the system.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I wouldn't look into this whole "Sony held them back" thing at all.

Angry_Mushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Angry_Mushroom
Member since 2009 • 708 Posts

@KiZZo1 said:
@misterpmedia said:

Can't tell if sarcasm or not. I'd say they are far better than Sony at retaining their exclusives.

SelfReflect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SelfReflect
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

Insomniac hasnt made a good game since Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time. Im glad Sony isnt working with them anymore. Fuse proved that Insomniac is garbage without Sony. Leave it to incompetent clueless Microsoft to pick up declining developers. Mean while Sony develops all the best first parties, nurtures them and works together with them as a team to make the best games

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ghostwarrior786

@gago-gago said:

Why are people bringing up Fuse? Sunset Overdrive is exclusive and published by Microsoft. Insomniac was freed and was looking for better partners and EA was the first one to help them out with Fuse. Also I just looked up Fuse on MC and it's at 63 and a 7 here on GameSpot. I'm glad Insomniac left Sony, now their games can be appreciated with a wider range of appreciative gamers.

haha a 'wider range of appreciative gamers' haha u do realise x1 is getting slaughtered by ps4 dont u? if they wanted to appeal to wider audience they should have gone multiplat, not exclusive for the lowest selling console so far this gen

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@KiZZo1 said:
@misterpmedia said:

Sad but true. Even though MS have so few quality exclusive they often fail to keep them.

Sony smart to pass on this game. Now insomniac bitter. Good move because most are not impress with concept there is no hype for this game. Why they cannot move from this childish art direction?

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: The Future R&C games were great, especially A Crack in Time.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

I love how everyone thinks there's hatred between Insomniac and Sony when they are working on the Ratchet and Clank movie together. I'm sure they are also working on a new game as well.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

After FUSE, I really don't want to play anything made by insomniac ever again, not even the older games that people claim were so good, fuse burned me that bad

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

@Angry_Mushroom said:

@KiZZo1 said:
@misterpmedia said:

Can't tell if sarcasm or not. I'd say they are far better than Sony at retaining their exclusives.

That's not saying much considering Sony has had way more exclusives. Harder to keep your exclusives when you have so many.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gago-gago

Not even Bungie took jabs at MS after venturing on their own.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 misterpmedia

@slaves said:

I love how everyone thinks there's hatred between Insomniac and Sony when they are working on the Ratchet and Clank movie together. I'm sure they are also working on a new game as well.

shhhh, don't spoil it lol

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ghostwarrior786

@gago-gago said:

Not even Bungie took jabs at MS after venturing on their own.

haha wrong again. ps4 lead platform haha spit in the face of lems from their biggest developer

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

@FastRobby said:
@slaves said:

Sony Movie division is completely different from Playstation division...

No its all the same company according to all the doomz threads. Besides its based off an IP that Sony's Playstation division owns so don't think they don't have a hand in it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Wait, so basically Sony wanted to own the IP if it was to be on one of their platforms?

This is pretty normal. Is anyone shocked?

Weird_Jerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Weird_Jerk
Member since 2010 • 646 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@gago-gago said:

Just like Rare.

God, I miss old Rare so much.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Oh lord, SonyGAF got upset about this...what a surprise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@gago-gago: True. Thats why they made that masterpiece called Fuse.

Oh, wait...

Their biggest and more popular franchises are (were, in case of Spyro) Sony brands. Once they stepped down from Sony they only made a shit game. As far as we know, they made nothing worthwhile without Sony's help. Lets see how they do with Sunset Overdrive

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@gago-gago: True. Thats why they made that masterpiece called Fuse without Sony.

Oh, wait...

Their biggest and more popular franchises are (were, in case of Spyro) Sony brands. Once they stepped down from Sony they only made a shit game. As far as we know, they made nothing worthwhile without Sony's help. Lets see how they do with Sunset Overdrive

JUST QUOTE ME NEXT TIME BRO.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

That's not a jab at anyone.

It's internet drama queens getting butthurt over videogame marketing. What did you think they were going to say "This is just an ordinary game that Insomniac is making after 20 years, it shows none of our skill set"?

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

@gago-gago: Thats why everyone is leaving Naughty Dog also

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By darkangel115

@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Heil68 said:

I will bet you money Insomniac will have games on PS4 though. Can't beat your first and true LOVE. :)

i'm sure they will. Money talks, But it hardly sounds like they love sony. Sounds like they love sony as much as bungie loves MS ;)

You on the other hand, preach the word of sony like a religion. I hope you get royalties

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

You mean like Microsoft booted Bungie and stole rights to Halo franchise?

Oops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@Vatusus said:

@gago-gago: True. Thats why they made that masterpiece called Fuse without Sony.

Oh, wait...

JUST QUOTE ME NEXT TIME BRO.

Sorry. I have the tendency of responding before reading the next comments

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

Oh, this is gunna rustle some jimmies.