Sony CEO: 'Track record of #1 platform winning next time around is not a great one. Major goal is to avoid complacency.'

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 429 Posts

Due to title limit had to paraphrase. Here is the full quote:

Sony CEO Jack Ryan: "The track record of the incumbent platform winning the next time around is not a great one. So the major thrust of my executive energy is to avoid complacency."

https://www.wired.com/story/playstation-now-updates/

You know...ever since Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have been competing together, it has been true: the previous generation winner did not win the next one. There's exceptions, of course, especially with the handhelds. But it really do be that way, when you think about it.

Article says Sony concentrating on "growth"....like right now!

• Lowering price of PS NOW by cutting it in half ($9.99) and making high profile games temporarily available (like Uncharted 4, God of War, GTA V)
  • Aware of Google Stadia and MS XCloud stomping around the corner when it comes to Cloud Gaming competition, which will heat up next gen. Sony wants to compete using price and content as their advantages.
  • Cross-Play feature moved out of Beta. Now cross-play can be available for all PS4 games and will be up to each developer on whether to implement it.
  • The "Sony being Anti-Consumer and the devil" phrases can probably retire right now.
robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3460 Posts

Definitely speaking sense Sony have learnt from the complacency from the PS3 era. PS now will be hugely important next gen.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2548 Posts

I figured it was just common sense at this point that the success of a platform for any given generation is not indicative whether that platform will have any success the next gen.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

i see they are aware of it.

but shawn layden jumping ship probably means there is no avoiding a loss for sony next gen. something must be wrong with the ps5.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 8649 Posts

@KBFloYd: Not surprised to see you speculate that possibility given your distaste for the Playstation brand.

I personally believe it's good news that they are keeping their complacency and hopefully their ego in check. A good start to next gen.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 13429 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

but shawn layden jumping ship probably means there is no avoiding a loss for sony next gen. something must be wrong with the ps5.

That's like saying something's wrong with Xbox Scarlet since the lead hardware architect left MS a few months back. No, Shawn just didn't renew his contract like Jack Tretton did in 2014. Gotta wonder why Jack left just before the PS4 took over the world then? Did he think the company or any of its products were in trouble? Doubt it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zero_epyon

My concern is that new leadership might move them closer to a GaaS model that Shawn didn't want to be a part of. They need to repeat what they did this gen, but with better hardware and more frequent releases. The next gen consoles shouldn't be that much different than this gen so games should be easier to produce for devs.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 10480 Posts

I think due to the digital game era, this next gen will be different than previous gens. Who's gonna want to lose their digital library by switching console brands? I only had a handful of games at the end of ps3 era because of trade-ins. This gen I have 100's of digital games that should carry over to the ps5, so I can sell my Pro or give it to a relative. This should mean 100 million or so ps4 owners will probably choose the ps5 over scarlett and 40-50 million XB1 owners will choose scarlett.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19368 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

My concern is that new leadership might move them closer to a GaaS model that Shawn didn't want to be a part of. They need to repeat what they did this gen, but with better hardware and more frequent releases. The next gen consoles shouldn't be that much different than this gen so games should be easier to produce for devs.

This is the speculation I've been hearing. Apparently Ryan wants to head down more of the GaaS path, instead of big SP games.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zero_epyon
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

This is the speculation I've been hearing. Apparently Ryan wants to head down more of the GaaS path, instead of big SP games.

Ugh

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 3503 Posts

GaaS is the future. Single player games have huge budgets and non existent revenue streams after the initial sale. Anyone with a calculator can figure this one out.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 2810 Posts

@joshrmeyer: You beat me to it.

This gen IS different, since this time, the incumbent will have many more people invested in an ecosystem, not just a box.

This is why MS is practically giving gamepass away.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3562 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

I think due to the digital game era, this next gen will be different than previous gens. Who's gonna want to lose their digital library by switching console brands? I only had a handful of games at the end of ps3 era because of trade-ins. This gen I have 100's of digital games that should carry over to the ps5, so I can sell my Pro or give it to a relative. This should mean 100 million or so ps4 owners will probably choose the ps5 over scarlett and 40-50 million XB1 owners will choose scarlett.

Precisely.

Sony making PS5 backwards compatible is HUGE for them winning the next gen war.If even 50% of current PS4 owners get a PS5 that is over 50 million units sold of current customers. I have mostly gone digital this year as the sales are cheaper on the PSN Store than in the actual one.

I wasn't looking forward to losing my 20-30 game library and starting over and like you, I am sure many people will get a PS5 on the basis they keep all their games and are virtually guaranteed sequels to the big hitters (God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man etc)

Now with PS Now being such an attractive option for people new to gaming or maybe want to revisit older games, switching brands now for either console is unlikely.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3460 Posts

I agree with ps5 being backwards compatible is huge going into next gen. Ps now looks a good attraction with the price point and I expect it to be very useful going forward.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4382 Posts

You know there is a simple reason, someone already from Sony mentioned it months ago. Less SP exclusives per year was heavily stated, nobody needs a console next gen from the looks of it. If Sony wants to follow MS down a GAAS route, then **** them, let them go down that shit path.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WhatAFailure
@Zero_epyon said:
@KBFloYd said:

That's like saying something's wrong with Xbox Scarlet since the lead hardware architect left MS a few months back. No, Shawn just didn't renew his contract like Jack Tretton did in 2014. Gotta wonder why Jack left just before the PS4 took over the world then? Did he think the company or any of its products were in trouble? Doubt it.

Interesting. KBFloyd didn't return to answer you there.

Also, Shawn Layden is 58, and has been working at Sony since 1987 (not a typo....'87!). Maybe the simplest reason for departure is just to finally take time off or fully retire? I mean, are we supposed to go "Uh oh, Nintendo fans. Reggie Fils-Amie left this year. That must mean Nintendo struggles."

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1637 Posts

Consoles are dying out, good to see them realizing it.

Now get a PC shop going.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhatAFailure
@goldenelementxl said:

GaaS is the future. Single player games have huge budgets and non existent revenue streams after the initial sale. Anyone with a calculator can figure this one out.

@Zero_epyon said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Ugh

If they are going to do this (meaning they add multiplayer and microtranactions/Season Passes to some SP games), I just hope they do it right and make the SP part their biggest priority. And the MP mode should be mostly handled by a different internal team, but still aligned with the spirit of the main game as to not feel cheaply tacked on.

But most importantly, I don't want the PS5 God of War, Horizon and Spider-Man sequels SP mode to feel watered down in any way, just to cater to some MP mode. MP should be garnish. If it feels like the SP was built around the MP to squeeze more money, Sony could be in trouble.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1637 Posts

@whatafailure said:
@goldenelementxl said:

@Zero_epyon said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Ugh

If they are going to do this (meaning they add multiplayer and microtranactions/Season Passes to some SP games), I just hope they do it right and make the SP part their biggest priority. And the MP mode should be mostly handled by a different internal team, but still aligned with the spirit of the main game as to not feel cheaply tacked on.

But most importantly, I don't want the PS5 God of War, Horizon and Spider-Man sequels SP mode to feel watered down in any way, just to cater to some MP mode. MP should be garnish. If it feels like the SP was built around the MP to squeeze more money, Sony could be in trouble.

They locked online behind a subscription, they could lock single player solution also behind a subscription. Which would prevent that.

Subscriptions are there main focus next gen. Get ready to pay that subscription.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5392 Posts

I see what they're saying and I'm glad they have that attitude for sure. But out of 4 generations of consoles they've only lost 1, and that was due to a huge fluke (Wii selling like hotcakes to elderly, hospitals, etc). Hopefully they can keep up the momentum they built this gen and improve on it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5125 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

And that's gonna suck. We were counting on Sony to keep the dream alive for first party SP games. One of Guerrilla's new projects sounds like a GaaS-fest in the making, and Naughty Dog sounds like they're following in the same direction with the possible Factions standalone.

I blame Fortnite. I see everyone doubling down on MP madness for next gen. Especially since everyone is going the subscription route.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 844 Posts

SP isn't going anywhere for Sony. They are selling 10 million plus and those are the games people buy hardware for.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 38660 Posts

@whatafailure said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@KBFloYd said:

Interesting. KBFloyd didn't return to answer you there.

Also, Shawn Layden is 58, and has been working at Sony since 1987 (not a typo....'87!). Maybe the simplest reason for departure is just to finally take time off or fully retire? I mean, are we supposed to go "Uh oh, Nintendo fans. Reggie Fils-Amie left this year. That must mean Nintendo struggles."

While Sony didn't say, but I think Jack Tretton wanted to leave on a positive note. He's been at Sony almost longer then Layden and helped make PlayStation brand what it is today. I don't see any reason why he'd be pushed out or have left on bad terms. I think he's a very intelligent business man and wanted to move on to something else. Rumors did however say he stepped down due to sexual harrassment problems and again, that was a rumor, so don't ask me further details cause I never went too deep into that situation.

@r-gamer said:

SP isn't going anywhere for Sony. They are selling 10 million plus and those are the games people buy hardware for.

Sony also said they will continue making cinematic driven games for a long time and that tells you SP is here to stay and nothing to worry about. Just don't get too carried away with these cinematic games Sony.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 36903 Posts

Interesting read

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 3503 Posts

@whatafailure said:

From a business sense, it makes no sense to focus on single player. It's the most expensive part to produce and the most difficult to make money on post launch. When the least expensive part of the game is the most profitable... Sorry bruh

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2088 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@whatafailure said:

From a business sense, it makes no sense to focus on single player. It's the most expensive part to produce and the most difficult to make money on post launch. When the least expensive part of the game is the most profitable... Sorry bruh

I would say from there business stand point they need to make sure they don't loose focus on what they are good at. Its not a guarantee that they can make a mp game that will be more profitable then the next Spiderman or Dad of War even if the potential is there. They have not really proven to be good at that to begin with. It maybe best to do what the user is saying. Outsource or build serious studios that focus on MP games to complement what they already have. They need MP games as the competition will be tougher for 3rd party share next gen. They also should be careful to not pretend to be like a 3rd party outfit chasing the gold. Do not roll up and do what EA did to bioware and there other studios. Whelp Spiderman is now a gas game. ND dog its time for you *****rs to prove that your teh gods of MP games because this is where the gold is.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10066 Posts

He's not wrong. Complacency isn't going to get PlayStation anywhere next gen.

I don't see them dropping their single player focused games but, they really do need some multiplayer / GaaS output from their studios.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 431 Posts

It should be fairly common knowledge that just because one console wins one generation, that doesn't mean they'll win the next.

But if you ask me, it definitely seems Sony may not win next gen. Shawn Layden stepping down is sure to be a devastating strike to the Playstation brand, and the post above seems to indicate even they're leadership isn't sure if they can win next gen.

Now, we don't know about Nintendo, but things look the very opposite for MS next gen. They bought over a dozen 1st party studios, already have one major title announced (Halo infinite). It'll be interesting to watch, but won't surprise me if MS pulls off another Xbox 360.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6246 Posts

I thought Sony wins in every gen even ps3 somehow finally won against 360 as per what the internet says 🙈🙈

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#32 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13683 Posts

The only exceptions were the SNES and PS2. But the SNES had to struggle to regain its lead, and the PS2 had to include a DVD player and full backwards compatibility.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8735 Posts

@thatdbfan: sounds more like you wish for them to fail. Also, the chair of SIE left before ps4 released as well.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6161 Posts

@vfighter said:

I see what they're saying and I'm glad they have that attitude for sure. But out of 4 generations of consoles they've only lost 1, and that was due to a huge fluke (Wii selling like hotcakes to elderly, hospitals, etc). Hopefully they can keep up the momentum they built this gen and improve on it.

Their Generation 7 run was still very successful. PS3 historically finished 2nd and the PSP did very well not being a Nintendo handheld. PlayStation has never done a Wii U\Dreamcast in any Gen. Xbox got arrogant and NEVER won a Gen.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2617 Posts

Jack Ryan is not Sony's CEO.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1351 Posts

Just like you assholes run Microsoft through the wringers, even if you really don't give a shit about Xbox, all it did was make Xbox fucking dope. Lessons that if Sony just paid attention to, could have avoided the anti-consumer devil moniker its still needs to shed.

Now all my PlayStation hate is paying off, and these are dividends I plan to cash out. Why, cause I was a supporter of PS Now, I liked it, I don't want God of War on PS Now cause I'm an asshole who wants to gloat its on PC, I want it cause I want to play it without owning it. I hated on crossplay cause it was anti-consumer, and felt you're not just condemning those to your system, but you're locking people out of the kingdom. Sounds dumb, but just lack of crossplay makes PS4 the worst copy on the planet, finally it can get the bedrock update.