Sony as a developer is pretty overrated.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

What has carried the brand has been 3rd parties, not the quality of Sony's own games.

Sony has never truley made a classic (inb4 The Last of Us), like ever.

What made their past consoles good were the 3rd party games most which were exclusive (especially in the PS1/2 days), not Sony's games themselves.

Nintendo from a developer standpoint shits all over Sony, lets be honest here.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Sony isn't a developer.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I kind of agree. All of my fond memories of the psx and the ps2 were of exclusive third party games they acquired but not developed.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah that's true. All the great games on PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 are pretty much 100% 3rd parties. Fantastic consoles nonetheless.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@brah4ever:

Sure Nintendo would beat Sony as a developer if you like kiddy games.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@killered3 said:

@brah4ever:

Sure Nintendo would beat Sony as a developer if you like games.

Fixed that for you.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Brah4ever

@killered3 said:

@brah4ever:

Not sure if srs, hope you enjoy the ultra generic bro shooters releasing every month on your PS4.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

What games has Sony actually developed themselves? Not acquired studios, their own games?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

What games has Sony actually developed themselves? Not acquired studios, their own games?

Acquiring studios and supporting them is developing games.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

Well in that case TC is just drunk.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

I asked a question, this is not the answer.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StrongBlackVine

No one can match Nintendo on software development, but their games don't interest me any more.

Sony does a Hell of job in development though and it shows with the numerous GOTY awards including the ones they will get for Uncharted 4 this year. They are with most major publishers around

Every one can agree that Microsoft is worst publisher of the Big 3. They only own 4 major studios and 3 of them are chained to the same IP forever.

Plus let's not act like Nintendo internally develops all of their first party games. They didn't make Smash Bros Wii U for example. I don't follow them closely enough to know all the other games the don't develop outside the Platinum games.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

Yes it is the answer. Maybe just not the one you wanted.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brah4ever

@StrongBlackVine said:

No one can match Nintendo on software development, but their games don't interest me any more.

Sony does a Hell of job in development though and it shows with the numerous GOTY awards including the ones they will get for Uncharted 4 this year. They are with most major publishers around

Every one can agree that Microsoft is worst publisher of the Big 3. They only own 4 major studios and 3 of them are chained to the same IP forever.

Plus let's not act like Nintendo internally develops all of their first party games. They didn't make Smash Bros Wii U for example. I don't follow them closely enough to know all the other games the don't develop outside the Platinum games.

I don't know about that, Sony know's the formula that usually leads to high scoring reviews in today's gaming world. Cinematic story driven single player experiences. That's what Sony's focus has been post-Uncharted.

I do agree that all Microsoft has is Halo Gears Forza (on rotation), it's been this way since the 360 era for them.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

No, the question was simple, what games has Sony actually developed, not their subsidiaries...

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrongBlackVine

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

If you own a studio and publish those games you are developing them. Sony is right par with EA, Activison, Ubsisoft, Take Two etc when it comes to producing games.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Brah4ever

@StrongBlackVine said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

If you own a studio and publish those games you are developing them. Sony is right par with EA, Activison, Ubsisoft, Take Two etc when it comes to producing games.

Bruv, he wants to know what games Sony themselves have developed, not companies they've bought or whatever.

He wants to know what games Sony HAVE DEVELOPED.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Never been a huge fan of their first party myself. The games are fun, but have little to no lasting appeal to me. Obviously there are some exceptions though.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrongBlackVine

@brah4ever said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

I don't know about that, Sony know's the formula that usually leads to high scoring reviews in today's gaming world. Cinematic story driven single player experiences. That's what Sony's focus has been post-Uncharted.

Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Gravity Rush 2 inFAMOUS are all open world games with focus on gameplay though. The you have MLB for sports and Media Molecule for whatever the heck they want to do. I think their game catalog is pretty diversified.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dynamitecop

@brah4ever said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Bruv, he wants to know what games Sony themselves have developed, not companies they've bought or whatever.

He wants to know what games Sony HAVE DEVELOPED.

Exactly, Volkswagen Group owns Lamborghini, but Volkswagen Group is not developing and creating the Aventador, Lamborghini is...

It's essentially owned sub-contracting...

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Brah4ever

@StrongBlackVine said:
@brah4ever said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Gravity Rush 2 inFAMOUS are all open world games with focus on gameplay though. The you have MLB for sports and Media Molecule for whatever the heck they want to do. I think their game catalog is pretty diversified.

I'll give you that, but a lot of those games haven't released yet.

The judging is based from what we've had from the PS4s 2013 launch till now, Sony is taking is taking a long ass time to get the ball rolling.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

No, the question was simple, what games has Sony actually developed, not their subsidiaries...

What the heck?! What kind of distinction is that? So are you saying that no major publisher that owns studios develops games. Even Nintendo has individual studios under their umbrella.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Brah4ever

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

What the heck?! What kind of distinction is that? So are you saying that no major publisher that owns studios developers. Even Nintendo has individual studios under their umbrella.

Yeah, but Nintendo has plenty of games developed in-house.

What Sony in-house games are there?

Genuinely curious.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

What the heck?! What kind of distinction is that? So are you saying that no major publisher that owns studios developers. Even Nintendo has individual studios under their umbrella.

Those are called subsidiaries, it's a simple question and if you can't answer it then by all means feel free to not further engage me.

What games has Sony themselves directly developed?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@killered3 said:

@brah4ever:

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@brah4ever said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Yeah, but Nintendo has plenty of games developed in-house.

What Sony in-house games are there?

Genuinely curious.

This question is just weird to me because any game developed by a studio owned by Sony is in-house whether they bought it or started it from the ground up.

Does EA not develop Mass Effect, Dragon Age Battlefield? How do you distinguish developing from publishing when both arms are part of the same corporation?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

This goes even more for MS. I mean what did they make this generation?

When people complain about Nintendo they never mention MS/Sony. Every one of them is making less games this gen.

And they both ARE overrated by critics. Ratchet and Clank has some of the most amateurish level design that I have ever seen in a platformer. No reviewer mentioned it. It's like they asked me to design levels. Hardly any build up or cool transitions or a natural use of terrain. A lot of space is just unused. Nobody mentions that because it's Sony. Play a Mario game, night and day. LBP has a really bad controls, but it's Sony so whatever. We'll just not look at that. If Mario Maker had bad controls or any Mario game had levels designed like Ratchet and Clank we would have never heard the end of it. Forza Horizon 3 is riddled with micro transactions. Horn accelerator. You couldn't even play the game at release without paying way more for it. If Nintendo did that they would be slaughtered by critics. And by you guys by the way. But it's MS so it's fine. That's what they do. No problem. Sure. Generally speaking they are both overrated.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Eh I do tend to agree if we can call Naughty Dog and the like Sony developed which I tend to. Same as how there are several acquired or contracted studios that make Nintendo games that aren't owned by Nintendo but I tend to call them Nintendo developed games.

Anyways... the only Sony developed games I REALLY like at least this gen are at a grand total of zero tbh. I did like Bloodborne and Until Dawn but neither were considered masterpieces in my eyes. Horizon could be one but I doubt it considering the dev pedigree.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dynamitecop

@AznbkdX said:

I did like Bloodborne and Until Dawn but neither were considered masterpieces in my eyes.

Both of those are third party games.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AznbkdX

@dynamitecop: Oh really? What are considered first party then?

I consider those the same as Nintendo when it comes to Paper Mario and Luigis Mansion 2. Not really first party but close enough.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dynamitecop
@KungfuKitten said:

When people complain about Nintendo they never mention MS/Sony. Every one of them is making less games this gen.

Microsoft created 343 Industries, Turn 10, and the Coalition so you could consider Halo 5: Guardian's, Forza Motorsport 5/6 and Gears of War 4 direct Microsoft developed games this generation.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dynamitecop

@AznbkdX said:

I consider those the same as Nintendo when it comes to Paper Mario and Luigis Mansion 2. Not really first party but close enough.

First party games are ones in which are developed by or by companies owned by the hardware manufacturer.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts

Yeah true lets just say

Nintendo>>>Sony>>>>>>>Microsoft

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AznbkdX

@dynamitecop said:
@AznbkdX said:

First party games are ones in which are developed by or by companies owned by the hardware manufacturer.

Eh then I guess by that metric I guess Uncharted 4 is okay.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dynamitecop

@AznbkdX said:
@dynamitecop said:
@AznbkdX said:

Eh then I guess by that metric I guess Uncharted 4 is okay.

Yeah, Sony owns Naughty Dog so it's a first party game.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@dynamitecop to answer your question, anything made by Sony studio Japan would qualify.

Ape escape, Gravity Rush, Puppeteer, Knack, Locoroco, Legend of dragoon. Not very good if you ask me.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dynamitecop

@Ghost120x said:

@dynamitecop to answer your question, anything made by Sony studio Japan would qualify.

Ape escape, Gravity Rush, Puppeteer, Knack, Locoroco, Legend of dragoon. Not very good if you ask me.

Ape Escape was cool, but that was also like 20 years ago, god Knack was so horrible..

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StrongBlackVine

This is a stupid question. Any studio that is owned by Sony IS Sony. Cased closed.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:

This is a stupid question. Any studio that is owned by Sony IS Sony. Cased closed.

Stop getting mad about it, being owned by Sony doesn't mean you are Sony, especially in the case of acquisitions.

These are acquired studios purchased by Sony, they are acquired subsidiaries, what games has Sony themselves or their personally created studios actually made?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Microsoft created 343 Industries, Turn 10, and the Coalition so you could consider Halo 5: Guardian's, Forza Motorsport 5/6 and Gears of War 4 direct Microsoft developed games this generation.

Wasn't Halo 5 Guardian broken for its release period? I watched Gears of War 4 on Giantbomb yesterday. Broke down nicely. But a game doesn't need to work when you're MS. Not for critics anyway.

Let's look at the user scores.
Halo 5. Critics: 84 Users: 65. That's quite a difference. I wonder why.
Forza Motorsport 5. I've never played this series. Critics: 79. Users: 59. Huh.
Forza Motorsport 6. Critics: 87 Users: 79. Ok that's still good.
Gears of War 4: Critics: 85 but no user scores yet... Oh yes you can only play the game if you pay $100. Well that's fine because it's MS.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Stop getting mad about it, being owned by Sony doesn't mean you are Sony, especially in the case of acquisitions.

These are acquired studios purchased by Sony, they are acquired subsidiaries, what games has Sony themselves or their personally created studios actually made?

Japan Studio is no different than another other Sony Worldwide Studio in terms of ownership so I'm not sure why that other person told you differently. So the answer is NOTHING. Not a single game these days. Can't be overrated if you don't produce anything.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dynamitecop

@KungfuKitten said:
@dynamitecop said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Wasn't Halo 5 Guardian broken for its release period? I watched Gears of War 4 on Giantbomb yesterday. Broke down nicely. But a game doesn't need to work when you're MS. Not for critics anyway.

Let's look at the user scores.

Halo 5. Critics: 84 Users: 65. That's quite a difference. I wonder why.

Forza Motorsport 5. I've never played this series. Critics: 79. Users: 59. Huh.

Forza Motorsport 6. Critics: 87 Users: 79. Ok that's still good.

Gears of War 4: Critics: 85 but no user scores yet... Oh yes you can only play the game if you pay $100 instead of $70. Well that's fine because it's MS.

No, Halo 5 was not broken, no Gears of War 4 is not broken....

User scores from Metacritic lol? Those are not verified owners, you simply need to make an account on that site to 'review' a game, they need to be disregarded completely.

Those are the Ultimate Editions which comes with every piece of content the games will ever have, a four day early release is a perk for extended support of the game.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StrongBlackVine

I knew where this was going.

Nintendo>>>>>>Sony>>>>>Microsoft in terms of game development. That is by both the quantity of games produced and by quality(review scores).

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Japan Studio is no different than another other Sony Worldwide Studio in terms of ownership so I'm not sure why that other person told you differently. So the answer is NOTHING. Not a single game these days. Can't be overrated if you don't produce anything.

It's not about ownership, it's about founded in house development.

The Coalition is a Microsoft founded and in-house developer, 343 Industries is a Microsoft founded and in-house developer, Turn 10 is a Microsoft founded and in-house developer.

Who are Sony's founded and in-house developers and what games do they make? Why is this so hard to understand? As an example, Naughty Dog is not a Sony founded or subsequently in-house developer.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

The Coalition is a Microsoft founded and in-house developer, 343 Industries is a Microsoft founded and in-house developer, Turn 10 is a Microsoft founded and in-house developer.

Who are Sony's founded and in-house developers and what games do they make? Why is this so hard to understand? As an example, Naughty Dog is not a Sony founded or subsequently in-house developer.

OK my last question in this topic...why does it matter? I would love to know why this distinction make a hill of beans...

As for Microsoft they bought both the Halo IP(along with Bungie) and Gears IP(from Epic) so they didn't directly develop those IPs. So really Forza only I IP of any significance that they have ever created in-house.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Well, this thread is a whole lot of stupid.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I guess the answer depends on where you draw the line on what "Sony" developed. Sony's companies like Santa Monica Studios have had their hands directly in a lot of fantastic games of broad variety, but often in a "co-development" role. But the whole company seems structured very differently with regards to game development from Nintendo - a lot more collaboration between its subsidiaries and outside studios and less "these are our 30 guys and they and they alone will make this game"

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StrongBlackVine

@soulitane said:

Well, this thread is a whole lot of stupid.

Sorry I contributed it, but the sheer stupidity of what was being said was hard to ignore.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The quality of trolls has gone down so much. I remember when this place was at least entertaining in that regard.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

OK my last question in this topic...why does it matter? I would love to know why this distinction make a hill of beans...

As for Microsoft they bought both the Halo IP(along with Bungie) and Gears IP(from Epic) so they didn't directly develop those IPs. So really Forza only I IP of any significance that they have ever created in-house.

It matters because I asked a simple question, not even to you, to anyone, and instead of answering it you turned it into a fucking shit show.

Microsoft didn't create those IP's, but Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 were developed in-house by them directly. That's the point of my question, what games does Sony develop in-house? You're getting so defensive over this it's incredible...