Sony announces new label for games publishing, announces game for PC and Nintendo Switch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

With the growth of game development environments, high quality game development has become possible even in small scale environments, and the evolution of digital publishing has made it easier to distribute developed titles to users worldwide. On the other hand, with a mixed bag of titles overflowing the market, there are also situations where interesting titles are buried without being noticed.

At Unties, we dig up the masterpieces buried in those situations, and support them so that more users notice and pick them up. We spread information about excellent games and sell titles for multiple platforms.

The name “Unties” comes from the thought “to unleash the excellent talents of unique game creators all over the world” and “setting creators free from the various shackles of game publishing, named from the intention of realizing publication that is freedom of production without restraints.”

Tiny Metal

Platforms: PlayStation 4, Switch, PC

Developer: Area35

Genre: Tactics Simulation

Players: 1 (online functionality also included)

Release Date: November 21, 2017

Links: Official Website, Steam Greenlight

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDL8VhhaJg

Last Standard

Platforms: PC, Others TBA

Developer: I From Japan

Genre: 3D Action

Players: 1 (online battle support also planned)

Release Date: TBA

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw1PmoRmQ7M

Merkava Avalanche

Platforms: PC, Others TBA

Developer: WinterCrownWorks

Genre: Suvival Robot Action

Players: 1

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mHnrBr6IQ

Deemo Reborn

Platforms: PlayStation 4 (with PlayStation VR support)

Developer: Rayark

Genre: Rhythm Action

Supported Languages: Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, French, German, Spanish, Protuguese, Russian

Players: 1

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSf6R2Uh2BI

SOURCE

Now, to be clear, this is not SIE (the PlayStation guys), but rather an alternate label from within Sony publishing on other platforms.

That said, for all the 'Nintendo is doomed!/Going third party!' talks, it's amusing to see Sony (and Microsoft, actually) both having come out and published games for Switch at this point.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

Sony has released games on PC before so it's not completely new but it's interesting that they are doing this with indies. More support for indies is always nice. It could also be a move anticipating a consoleless future where Sony becomes dev-publisher.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@pinkanimal said:

Sony has released games on PC before so it's not completely new but it's interesting that they are doing this with indies. More support for indies is always nice. It could also be a move anticipating a consoleless future where Sony becomes dev-publisher.

PC isn't a corporation nor a legal entity.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PinkAnimal

@Juub1990 said:
@pinkanimal said:

PC isn't a corporation nor a legal entity.

hmmm correct but not following how that's relevant to what I said

Avatar image for deactivated-5c746fddbe486
deactivated-5c746fddbe486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-5c746fddbe486
Member since 2017 • 193 Posts

So Sony would rather support the Switch instead of the Vita LOL

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
@pinkanimal said:

Them releasing a game on PC is completely different from them releasing a game on a Nintendo console. PC isn't a legal entity nor belongs to anyone.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PinkAnimal

@Juub1990 said:
@pinkanimal said:

Them releasing a game on PC is completely different from them releasing a game on a Nintendo console. PC isn't a legal entity nor belongs to anyone.

Ok but they still have to get some sort of licensing to release it on stores like Steam which I imagine is a similar process.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
@pinkanimal said:

Ok but they still have to get some sort of licensing to release it on stores like Steam which I imagine is a similar process.

Most likely similar but I doubt it involves jumping through all the hoops console manufacturers impose upon game devs. Valve is a haven for trashy game so whatever is required to get a game on Steam has lower standards than on consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@pinkanimal said:
@Juub1990 said:
@pinkanimal said:

To be fair, that's not necessary- they could just as easily make their own client, and put it on PC without having to go through anyone else (I am not sure if that is what they do, however, just pointing out that PC's openness makes support for it very different than support for a Nintendo console).

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Smart move, a lot of games are selling well on Switch. I was reading how one of my favorite Xbox One games from years ago(Flame in the Flood) has sold more on Switch since release a few days ago than any other platform. Similarly, CupHead on Switch would be a perfect fit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@tibua said:

So Sony would rather support the Switch instead of the Vita LOL

Sony actually released a 3DS game back when the Vita was still an active platform on the Japanese market. It is clear they had very little faith in their own handheld.

@Alucard_Prime said:

Smart move, a lot of games are selling well on Switch. I was reading how one of my favorite Xbox One games from years ago(Flame in the Flood) has sold more on Switch since release a few days ago than any other platform. Similarly, CupHead on Switch would be a perfect fit.

Yeah, Switch seems to have an engaged install base driving up high attach ratios for games. Of course, how much these individual success stories continue to last as more and more games fill out its library is something that remains to be seen.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Pfft, wow i did not see that move.

Well, this confirms 1 thing.

NO VITA 2!!!

Also, lol Xboned again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Consoles are doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@goldenelementxl said:

Consoles are doomed

But the Switch is (also) a console???????

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@charizard1605: The Switch is whatever you want it to be. Home consoles are doomed. Hybrids like the Switch and the power and flexibility of PC gaming are the future.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@goldenelementxl said:

@charizard1605: The Switch is whatever you want it to be. Home consoles are doomed. Hybrids like the Switch and the power and flexibility of PC gaming are the future.

Well, that's fair. I won't make a comment either way on that, I love the PS4 and what it brings to the table, but I do admit I find the Switch more suited to my lifestyle for sure.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

So Sony plans on using Nintendo's successful handhelds to sell software as opposed to making their own handhelds? That's a win/win for Sony and Nintendo.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Consoles are doomed

But the Switch is (also) a console???????

Yes it is, right ?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Its handheld when its compared with other consoles, its a console when theres no comparison to other consoles. Typical fanboyism and i have so many examples already ( with screenshots ) of people calling Switch a handheld or tablet when its about to be compared with multiplatforms vs PS4/X1 or PC, its not even funny how on point i am all the time. Something i predicted and telling you for months now and some even raged so much over debates on this matter that banned me over this when debates went out of hand.

Though as my predictions getting real and my points start getting proven already , some should go hide somewhere and say sorry for banning me over arguments i was right about. ( proofs with screenshots if anyone wants ,so noone can say shit to me again like "i never said X thing" or " you lying, you never said Z thing" ). And this is only the start.

Lets see what Switch consoles future is and how will stand next to competition PS4/X1 let alone PS5/X2 that are coming sooner than later and lets see if Azatis was on point or deserved a ban because his opinion wasnt pleasing to sheep.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605: That's a damn cool iniciative. Gives the little guys a decent chance to expand and expose their games to a broader audience, even if Sony is the one supporting them. Very nice.

BLN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BLN1
Member since 2017 • 128 Posts

When I first saw this news piece I had to do a double take, but then I understood what it meant after reading the article and I have to admit, it's pretty cool.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Noice!..good job Sony. :P

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Good for them. The console war mean nothing anyway.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

Nintendo 1 Sony 0

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

Looks like the direction MS is headed in with PC and console gaming tied together in one brand is a trend that Sony will follow.

Looks like a win/win scenario. Also more importantly, MS had the right idea bringing their games to PC. Consoles are basically becoming PCs, so why not just release your games on PC or whatever platform suits your needs for game design?

Also this brings back memories of the original Nintendo Playstiation concept. Maybe they will collaborate for a better engineered version of the Switch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mazuiface said:

Looks like the direction MS is headed in with PC and console gaming tied together in one brand is a trend that Sony will follow.

Looks like a win/win scenario. Also more importantly, MS had the right idea bringing their games to PC. Consoles are basically becoming PCs, so why not just release your games on PC or whatever platform suits your needs for game design?

Also this brings back memories of the original Nintendo Playstiation concept. Maybe they will collaborate for a better engineered version of the Switch

How do you make Switch better engineered iyo? Not arguing, actually wondering what you think.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

Awesome, hopefully they start porting over their first party games.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that screams for mods

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mazuiface

@charizard1605 said:
@mazuiface said:

How do you make Switch better engineered iyo? Not arguing, actually wondering what you think.

Make a dock that has better slot for the Switch and does more for the console, (totally manageable)

Charging port should not be on the bottom of the device, put it on the top so you can play on a desktop while charging

Adaptive screen brightness

Also for what they are asking for it, they could make it stronger and still keep the same price

I'm sure you could think of more. Nintendo usually isn't the best with their hardware.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Truly bizarre to see an entity outside of PlayStation but within Sony want to get into the publishing scene. Either one hand doesn’t know what the other’s doing or - more likely, IMO - Sony wants to dabble and see the results of publishing outside of its PS line.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

Sony is desperate AF. SAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mazuiface said:
@charizard1605 said:
@mazuiface said:

Make a dock that has better slot for the Switch and does more for the console, (totally manageable)

Charging port should not be on the bottom of the device, put it on the top so you can play on a desktop while charging

Also for what they are asking for it, they could make it stronger and still keep the same price

I'm sure you could think of more. Nintendo usually isn't the best with their hardware.

Okay, so allow me to answer these one by one:

1. I am not sure what you mean by this
  2. If you did this, then the dock would not work
  3. This is already on the system
  4. The system uses the most powerful consumer grade mobile GPU currently available on the market
  5. No, as a matter of fact, I cannot. The Switch is a hugely sophisticated piece of technology, and I legitimately cannot think of a way to make better mobile hardware at this price

Once again, I am just asking- have you had the chance to actually use a Switch yet?

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

Based Sony, giving some gamestarved kids some games.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Sony Music publishing small indie developer games on PC, PS4, and Switch. I heard the details yesterday.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That's... great? These look completely uninteresting to me. Why not just bring the PS4's games to PC?

That said, Tiny Metal reminded me of Tiny Tank.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Sony Music game side. I think there the same people who publish mobile games. They apparently have something bigger then Pokemon Go in japan Fate/Whatever series. It seems Switch is logical step for them.

Context http://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/news/66322/fate-grand-order-sony-music-revenues-1-5-billion-in-q1/

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@snapcracklenpop said:

Nintendo 1 Sony 0

Not sure how? Switch and PC get more games sure but Sony will make money for very little effort. Supporting indie devs is very different to funding game studios.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@deeph said:

Based Sony, giving some gamestarved kids some games.

lol.

Honestly though, this is a great move from Sony.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mazuiface

@charizard1605 said:
@mazuiface said:
@charizard1605 said:
@mazuiface said:

Okay, so allow me to answer these one by one:

1. I am not sure what you mean by this
  2. If you did this, then the dock would not work
  3. This is already on the system
  4. The system uses the most powerful consumer grade mobile GPU currently available on the market
  5. No, as a matter of fact, I cannot. The Switch is a hugely sophisticated piece of technology, and I legitimately cannot think of a way to make better mobile hardware at this price

Once again, I am just asking- have you had the chance to actually use a Switch yet?

To your last question, yes, I have. That's how I came up with these.

I'll number the points back.
1. If the dock is going to clock the GPU higher, it could clock it to the same speeds that the Nvidia Shield uses, not lower. The slot is a little flimsy too and feels like it can mess your screen up. There's probably some sort of cooling issue that prevents this though so...

2. The dock could still work if the port was not on the bottom. There could be another higher speed port on the bottom while a simple charging port could be used on the side of the system - or it could simply charge wirelessly - or it could dock upside down - or the charging cable could have a 90 degree connector. It's not a difficult problem and the dock is not a deal breaker - it's a simple engineering solution.

3. Sure, but like any mobile device, you still have to manually adjust it if you're going from very bright to very dark spaces. This is not a problem exclusive to the Switch. It's a minor annoyance. Even on my Galaxy S8, it only adapts so much.

4. The most powerful self-styled mobile GPU - except high end smartphone/tablet processing units are stronger than it - Samsung Exynos, Snapdragon 821, Snapdragon 835, Apple A10 and A11. Devices that contain these usually have other things to jack their prices up, like 1440p screens with HDR, glass and aluminum cases, tiny form factor etc. I'm not saying it should also cost around $800 like other devices, but a newer architecture, perhaps not one released in 2013, would make a difference without needing all of the other features of other devices. I don't want to blast Nintendo for not having access to engineering teams like MS or Sony, but this is a serious problem. For the price and what Nintendo has access to, the Switch is nice, but how long will (mainstream) devs stick around? I fear another WiiU situation.

5. Nintendo's hardware, from an engineering standpoint, is very cheap. There are a lot of little mistakes in the mobile devices they have released over the years that, if you have used *any* other mobile device, you would expect them to change.

My guess is that Nintendo will do a mid-gen upgrade like they usually do. Switch Plus or Switch Lite. What I was saying with my first post is that maybe they could consult Sony's engineering team for this upgrade.